Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
@albob, Ive just found this on the Irish DFA site, so assuming things stay the same we should be ok. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Britons barred from passing through France
Britons returning to homes in the European Union by car faced confusion today after the Eurotunnel shuttle train operator and P&O Ferries said that Paris is now barring them from driving across France. Since new anti-Covid restrictions were imposed on December 18, France has allowed Britons resident in other EU states to transit through the country, yet new rules appear to have come into force without an announcement from the government. Eurotunnel said: “Following a French government decision,
Read in The Times and The Sunday Times: https://apple.news/A6z-xBkYgRs2x4YwktZ5x_Q
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OH's amusing blog entry on her travel back to France yesterday.

https://www.stylealtitude.com/travel-france-omicron-latest.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, an amusing blog. Sadly i think the situation has as much to do with politics as it does Covid.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bizarre. Telegraph says some French gov people say transit is ok. Eurotunnel say not. Others say they’re thinking about it…

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And the letter handed the the Brit at Eurotunnel by French Border Staff

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This will take a while IMHO to resolve one way or another. I had accommodation booked in Les Orres for next week (from the 7th) that came with covid cover. I sent them an email last night with a link to the French government page and got a refund this morning with no quibble. I took this to mean that they ar comfortable that there won't be a change ahead of the 15th.

I'm hoping for March but not holding out too much hope!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Germany stopping restrictions from Tuesday. There is hope!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
M.Macron on behalf of France takes the rotating EU Presidency from Saturday Jan 1st, who knows what the little chap will try and achieve.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now reports that Brits with EU residency are once again being allowed through the Tunnel this afternoon, seems like it’s been sorted out now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:
M.Macron on behalf of France takes the rotating EU Presidency from Saturday Jan 1st, who knows what the little chap will try and achieve.

Trade ski rights for fishing rights? Laughing

However health issues are national, not EU issues.

Just hope for a change soon.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 30-12-21 16:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hyst wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

Trade ski for fishing rights? Laughing

However health issues are national, not EU issues.

Just hope for a change soon.

I would hope that world leaders were thinking on a more macro scale than that to be honest.

Unless countries want to "do a NZ" which isnt really feasible in Europe, then they kinda need to get on the "this is a global issue" bandwagon - as it seems Germany is about to do.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well Germany have at last come to their senses and lift the uk ban on Tuesday..how long before france wake up and smell the coffee ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If Macron and co don't, then it is certainly more about politics as far as I'm concerned.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@raino, Only if they arrived into the UK before the 28th Dec it appears

@RichardB, It's all about politics - to be honest I'm amazed Boris hasn't slapped a ban on French people travelling to the UK in retaliation.
snow report
Local Prefectures now bringing in their own restrictions, as they have the autonomy to change rules like some now raising the N Road speed limit back up to 90km from 80km.

From this Friday December 31st until January 30th, the mask becomes mandatory outdoors in Gap, Briançon and in the ski resorts. A decision taken by the prefect of Hautes-Alpes "after consultation with local elected officials" specifies Martine Clavel. To justify the return of the mask, the prefecture argues that "the health situation continues to deteriorate, with an incidence rate at a very high level in the Hautes-Alpes: 807 per 100,000 inhabitants over the last seven days according to the Regional Health Agency,

There will be no beautiful blue. Not even a big red in the Briançonnais sky. All New Year's Eve and New Year's Eve festivities are cancelled in the Serre Chevalier valley. There will therefore be no fireworks or torchlight descent at the foot of the slopes of Briançon, Saint-Chaffrey, La Salle les Alpes, Le Monêtier-les-Bains.

Still no figures for today announced yet?
snow report
BBC reporting that the Eurotunnel ban on brits returning to homes in EU is being lifted (just the one that was introduced yesterday...)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 30-12-21 18:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I keep expecting macron to limit the French from travelling more than a few kilometres...he's a nutter
snow conditions
I’m due to travel CH-FR on Jan 2nd… let’s see if I make it up to Tignes or not! (Swiss resident since ‘11, but Brit passport…)
ski holidays
raino wrote:
I’m due to travel CH-FR on Jan 2nd… let’s see if I make it up to Tignes or not! (Swiss resident since ‘11, but Brit passport…)

Why on earth wouldn’t you (assuming you live in CH and haven’t been to UK in last 14 days)? The rules relate to where you’ve come from, not your passport.
snow report
@yorkshirelad, on the grounds (not limited to these ones) I have to wear a mask walking around the empty streets in the rain, I must agree.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@yorkshirelad, on the grounds (not limited to these ones) I have to wear a mask walking around the empty streets in the rain, I must agree.

Must be a real bonus for the muggers and burglars.............
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
raino wrote:

Why on earth wouldn’t you (assuming you live in CH and haven’t been to UK in last 14 days)? The rules relate to where you’ve come from, not your passport.

The 14 day rule is not mentioned anywhere in the official French rules, neither in French or English versions. The self declaration for green country arrivals also makes no mention… Up thread, you’ll see we returned to Geneva yesterday from UK via NL, BE, LU and FR…
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
Germany stopping restrictions from Tuesday. There is hope!

Great news, thanks for posting !!
snow report
It’s on the certificate thing (screenshot). If you’ve been in the UK and have been back in CH less than 14 days then my reading is technically you’re breaking the rules as you’re not a French resident - but presumably you wouldn’t be stopped and even if you were you wouldn’t carry your passport to have the entry date checked.

Though to be fair I’ve asked several French gov departments about “how long do I have to be in another country to not count as coming “from the UK” and none of them even try to answer the question. It’s (as is often the case with law written in haste) badly drafted and doesn’t really match reality.

snow conditions
I’ll check with the embassy then to be safe….
ski holidays
raino wrote:
I’ll check with the embassy then to be safe….

Have asked them…
ski holidays
What a mess, as usual.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@raino, I think you get around in the EU zone on just a photo id (i.e. without the need for a passport) - might not apply to Switzerland to France tho' ?
latest report
It’s understandable as it’s not like omicron is endemic in all countries so you can see why they would want to shut borders…… oh hang on Toofy Grin
latest report
albob wrote:
@raino, I think you get around in the EU zone on just a photo id (i.e. without the need for a passport) - might not apply to Switzerland to France tho' ?

Normally yes, we just carry our biometric residence cards with us. I don’t actually remember the last time I was stopped on the way to France, must be less than a handful in >100 trips in 10 years.

At the moment, there is just no certainty about anything which is the hardest part. As mentioned above the rules are so poorly drafted you could drive a bus through them, plus there is the risk of a ‘new interpretation’ a la Eurotunnel yesterday which really just stresses what should be an enjoyable trip.
snow report
@raino, My sister in law has just gone from Lausanne to Ste Foy to our apartment today , no checks at all on the border actually she said there didn’t even seem to be anyone there .
snow conditions
Rob Mackley wrote:
@raino, My sister in law has just gone from Lausanne to Ste Foy to our apartment today , no checks at all on the border actually she said there didn’t even seem to be anyone there .

Cheers!
snow report
In a sign of extreme confidence my very astute wife has just ordered a load of Nespresso capsules to be delivered to our apartment I take this as good news as she’s a bit of a witch Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
@Rob Mackley, Madeye-Smiley

tasseography ?
ski holidays
@Hyst, I hope
ski holidays
Me too! snowHead
ski holidays
Covid: France suspends transit ban for UK nationals during Christmas period

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-59832076
snow conditions
Hmm - isn't as such good news as the headline suggests!

"UK nationals will be allowed to travel through France if they are going to their home in an EU country during the festive period.
France suspended its Covid restriction after UK travellers faced difficulties reaching their country of residence.
Eurotunnel, which had earlier issued warnings to customers, said it was "delighted" by the move.
People from the UK are still largely banned from going to France unless they have a compelling reason."
ski holidays
raino wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
raino wrote:

The 14 day rule is not mentioned anywhere in the official French rules, neither in French or English versions. The self declaration for green country arrivals also makes no mention… Up thread, you’ll see we returned to Geneva yesterday from UK via NL, BE, LU and FR…

Yes it is. It’s been added this week
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy