Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting. That document properties indicate that it was last modified on 17 Dec??

And strange how France will limit indoor/outdoor gatherings to 2000/5000 compared to other countries. Real Covid spreading events!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Strange isn’t it? You’d think they would be doing everything they can to make things better not worse Puzzled
In Austria it’s the opposite I think over 10 days I saw maybe 4 or 5 people who didn’t have the mask on properly or was wearing ‘the wrong’ type (but still had a mask on!)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To me it seems like a managed “herd immunity” strategy by U.K. and FR now that Omicron is prevent and symptoms are mild among mostly vaccinated populations. Let’s hope they soon come to their senses and open travel again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@midgetbiker, We were in Italy (Monterosa) a couple of weeks ago and they weren't that hot on masking in cabins at all and buffs seemed fine - although clearly it was pretty quiet and very pre-season. The insistence on FFP2, etc. is a bit weird (especially as not advertised in advance- or had they?). Hey ho.

@zzz, I can easily imagine - there are a lot of brits in Chamonix, somehow. But while I agree much of this is bonkers, I wouldn't be wanting to rely on the success of my holiday on not getting checked on entry into CH. Nor, indeed, for a grumpy, hungover, over-oystered, gendarme feeling like he wanted to check my travel details along with my PS ... Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can someone please confirm for me what the pass sanitaire rules are going to be from the 15th please?
We are currently in Spain, so can travel to France, but have been here long enough that we couldn't get boosters before we came. To get boosters we would need to go back to the UK, but then we couldn't go to France at all.
My understanding is that our QR codes of second jabs will no longer be valid as it will be more than six months old + what does this mean in practice - no skiing presumably? If we stayed longer in Spain would we still be able to transit France in the campervan with out of date QR codes?
I realise this is probably all covered somewhere, but I am losing the will to live trying to keep up with multiple country rules and testing requirements!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RobinS, in your situation I would be more concerned over risk to my health and that of others through no booster and such a long time since my last jab
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="RobinS"]Can someone please confirm for me what the pass sanitaire rules are going to be from the 15th please?
We are currently in Spain, so can travel to France, but have been here long enough that we couldn't get boosters before we came. To get boosters we would need to go back to the UK, but then we couldn't go to France at all.
My understanding is that our QR codes of second jabs will no longer be valid as it will be more than six months old + what does this mean in practice - no skiing presumably? If we stayed longer in Spain would we still be able to transit France in the campervan with out of date QR codes?
I realise this is probably all covered somewhere, but I am losing the will to live trying to keep up with multiple country rules and testing requirements!

If you had your 2nd jab more than 6 months ago you will not be able to access any public spaces unless you have had your booster after the 15th January ( if you are over 65 that rule came into effect on 15th December). You can transit France to return to the U.K. as rules currently allow but doesn’t sound like much fun…
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@On the rocks, I am well aware of risks - having had Covid at least twice, as well as the two jabs. (We would have had boosters, but before we left the UK they refused point blank to do them a few weeks under six months.
@andmelffion, Thanks - that does confirm what I thought. Do you know what constitutes public spaces? Will we be OK buying diesel, and using toilets on unmanned aires on the autoroute?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In all fairness they were on it in Val d'Isere, lift operators were making sure people were masked up getting on to the tele cabins and 99% of folk stayed masked up for the duration of the lift. Pass saintaires were checked on entry to the mountain restaurants and on the Saturday before we left they were checking it getting on the main Olympique lift regularly as well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@RobinS, AFAIU the PS becomes PV on Jan 15th.
If you cross from Spain to France before then you can still drive around, though big supermarkets, pubs restos etc... would be off limits.
Why not go the the local medical center and ask for a booster shot?
Presumably your NHS app shows the date of your second jab, so you can prove your eligibility.
Worst thing they say "No", so nothing ventured, nothing gained.
It's not a good look for med-centres to be refusing to give booster shots in during the omnishambles.
You may have to pay a few euros, but it could save you a load of ball-ache.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobinS wrote:
Do you know what constitutes public spaces? Will we be OK buying diesel, and using toilets on unmanned aires on the autoroute?
Yes. I haven't seen anyone checking PS in autoroute service stations for toilet use (let alone at aires) and most French gas stations have a pay by card at the pump option (though it must be an international credit card or French debit card). I don't think supermarkets will be off limits either - they count as an essential service rather than a public space as far as I know. You may have to find one that has a direct entrance though - many hypermarkets are within a mall which could be off limits.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobinS wrote:
@On the rocks, I am well aware of risks - having had Covid at least twice, as well as the two jabs. (We would have had boosters, but before we left the UK they refused point blank to do them a few weeks under six months.
@andmelffion, Thanks - that does confirm what I thought. Do you know what constitutes public spaces? Will we be OK buying diesel, and using toilets on unmanned aires on the autoroute?

I would try to get boosted in France. Do you have friends living there that are registered with the health system? There are many ways around seemingly impossible admin with patience and a bit of Frenglish!

Especially worth a try in a smaller commune I reckon. Or maybe try the walk in centres in shopping centres?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hell, book a slot on doctolib and see what happens! Price won’t be extortionate.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know about the mechanics of getting a jab as a non-resident but I do remember someone on here saying that they had had 1 jab in FR and 1 in UK and the UK Doctors had converted the French proof to an NHS proof when he got back so he was able to prove it when he was back in the UK all on one system. Caveat- that was re Jabs 1&2 not booster...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If certainly try and get a booster in the country you are in @RobinS, even if you can't get proof you will have greater protection from getting a serious illness than without.
ski holidays
Had about 10cms of fresh this morning before the heavy rain that is due, even at altitude later!

@KenX, and I agreed to meet at 08:55 in time for first lifts, and a first for me in that I was late due to trying to find a parking place, it was so mobbed.

That said we were pretty well the first up deciding to take the vintage 4 or is it 6 person bubble?

And quelle surprise, nigh on all the people behind us were not wearing a mask, so @KenX just pointed out that we split our skis and put single skis in the bins.

As we were getting in the liftie gave me a dirty look and I just said "pas de masque pas de cabine" and he still looked pissed, though I should have said "pas de masque pas de cabine chez nous", or something along those lines?
snow report
Think I’ll cancel my 9th Jan trip to PDS just can’t see it happening, I’m debating Switzerland but I
worry we may get stuck out there or something else financially crippling. Not been for 3 years and is the only
time I can realistically take my daughter as she has final exams in June Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
pdsguy wrote:
I don't know about the mechanics of getting a jab as a non-resident but I do remember someone on here saying that they had had 1 jab in FR and 1 in UK and the UK Doctors had converted the French proof to an NHS proof when he got back so he was able to prove it when he was back in the UK all on one system. Caveat- that was re Jabs 1&2 not booster...

There is a mechanism to book an NHS appointment (not with GP, special clinics) to have overseas jab records ported onto the UK system. My missus showed it to me, so a quick google should find it. Weirdly it’s limited to over 18’s, but maybe parents just make the appointment and take records for under 18’s?
ski holidays
Getting conflicting info re boosters here, coming across the pond, the ‘mericans are triple jabbed (2x +booster) no issue.

The canadians in our group however are in their twenties and not able to get a booster (province of quebec not opening up appointments under 50 yet). Last (second) jabs will be over 6 months for one of them on arrival, the question if anyone can give insight is, is the limit 6 or 7 months to get PS?

(Reading 6 above in this thread, french govt simulation tool says 7, val thorens says 6 and the govt site updated yesterday says 7)

From
https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus/pass-sanitaire

“ À compter du 15 janvier 2022, les personnes de plus de 18 ans devront justifier d’un rappel vaccinal, sept mois après leur dernière injection ou infection, pour que leur « pass sanitaire » soit prolongé. Cette règle s’applique pour les plus de 65 ans dès le 15 décembre.”

The ever changing goalposts are hard to track, any info would be welcome
latest report
@andolini The cost of getting last-minute accommodation for an extended stay is not going to be cheap anywhere. Our 2-bed Swiss apartment would cost about £1200/week to extend, and if it wasn't available the worst case is a client would just have to move to another in the same, or an adjacent block. Of course, you may decide that the cost isn't generically acceptable given the risk, which is fine. But I wouldn't discount it just because it's Switzerland. If you're flying into GVA then there is some logic in staying in the same country, especially given the excellent rail links to many Swiss resorts and their cheaper satellites. I'm not trying to push our apartment here because it's booked out when you plan to go, but just make the point that yes, ski passes generally cost more in CH (e.g. Verbier is £64 adult 1-day, whole area, £53/day for 7 day whole area pass) but a lot of the rest of the costs are comparable to any big resort in France. The caveats are that car hire at GVA is almost prohibitively expensive (so a train/télépherique/PostBus-linked resort is almost a given) and even CH has imposed and then rescinded a UK mandatory quarantine, and could always do so again.
snow report
Is this thread about France ?
ski holidays
@andolini, you could look at booking cancellable accommodation in Morgins (CH) and revert to original plans if the travel restrictions are lifted. Morgins is accessible by public transport - quickest being a taxi from Aigle. You will be able to access to France side of PDS by skiis and even by car as there are usually no checks at the Pas du Morgins border post crossing into France
snow report
Thanks everyone - we can't get boosters here in Spain as they are still on older high priority people here, but we have a week in a small town in France before our codes expire, so will try to wing it and beg for a booster in dodgy French there!
snow conditions
What are people’s thoughts on restrictions being relaxed for Feb half-term? Not sure if I should re-book for then. Seems like a lot of hassle if it is yet another round of cancellations and moving yet again Sad
ski holidays
andmelffion wrote:

If you had your 2nd jab more than 6 months ago you will not be able to access any public spaces unless you have had your booster after the 15th January ( if you are over 65 that rule came into effect on 15th December). You can transit France to return to the U.K. as rules currently allow but doesn’t sound like much fun…

For what it's worth I think it it's actually 7 months rather than 6
snow conditions
@pjuk, i am expecting many hoops still needed by half term and my hopes aren’t that high that we will be on our booked holiday to Morzine

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 29-12-21 21:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I'm hoping for March.... I have mainly cancelled my January short break and I'll be able to get a refund on my accommodation cost if I can show that the rules say that I can't travel by government edict (can be either UK or France). I was due to go on the 6th and if on the 5th the French government opened up the doors it'd be too late to reorganise my cancelled travel but prevent me from getting a refund!
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
@andolini The cost of getting last-minute accommodation for an extended stay is not going to be cheap anywhere. Our 2-bed Swiss apartment would cost about £1200/week to extend, and if it wasn't available the worst case is a client would just have to move to another in the same, or an adjacent block. Of course, you may decide that the cost isn't generically acceptable given the risk, which is fine. But I wouldn't discount it just because it's Switzerland. If you're flying into GVA then there is some logic in staying in the same country, especially given the excellent rail links to many Swiss resorts and their cheaper satellites. I'm not trying to push our apartment here because it's booked out when you plan to go, but just make the point that yes, ski passes generally cost more in CH (e.g. Verbier is £64 adult 1-day, whole area, £53/day for 7 day whole area pass) but a lot of the rest of the costs are comparable to any big resort in France. The caveats are that car hire at GVA is almost prohibitively expensive (so a train/télépherique/PostBus-linked resort is almost a given) and even CH has imposed and then rescinded a UK mandatory quarantine, and could always do so again.

Thanks for your kind reply . I have thought about a few locations with easy access and as you say not much difference in terms of ski costs
With regard to extended stays that’s probably which worries me most and last minute rule changes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Renry wrote:
Is this thread about France ?

Yes, insofar as (a) the question was put by the OP about skiing in Switzerland as an alternative and (b) current restrictions make France almost infeasible and Switzerland as an alternative entirely feasible. You could as equally complain that the thread is just '101 ways to say you can't go to France at the moment'. And if anyone has a flight already boooked to GVA and especially if they have bagged a hire car some time ago at a reasonable rate, then there's a chance their ski holiday could be switched to Switzerland instead of being called off entirely.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 28-12-21 17:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
@andolini, you could look at booking cancellable accommodation in Morgins (CH) and revert to original plans if the travel restrictions are lifted. Morgins is accessible by public transport - quickest being a taxi from Aigle. You will be able to access to France side of PDS by skiis and even by car as there are usually no checks at the Pas du Morgins border post crossing into France

I looked at Morgins originally, my ordered a full PDS pass from Morzine has not arrived yet , I’m presuming that’s because at present a UK resident couldn’t use it and they may wait until they hear more news . If you bought a pass at Morgins are they possibly likely to sell only a Swiss area pass as obviously in theory they know uk residents can’t ski the whole PDS.
If that’s the case is what’s on the Swiss side enough for the week ? Thanks
ski holidays
@andolini, you can ski the whole PDS if you buy a pass in Morgins (or France) as they do not differentiate on nationality.
snow report
pjuk wrote:
What are people’s thoughts on restrictions being relaxed for Feb half-term? Not sure if I should re-book for then. Seems like a lot of hassle if it is yet another round of cancellations and moving yet again Sad

My personal view is that the restrictions will stay in place until after the half term for the simple reason that during an election cycle you can't be seen to be getting tough on the french but going easy on the brits. Macron has been using Brit-bashing for a while now so presumably he believes it is working for him.

However, if you drive it could be a different story. Firstly because it is lower risk from an infection perspective, second because you don't have the hassle of flight alterations and can come and go at a moments' notice and thirdly because Eurotunnel are very consistent and accurate with their boarding requirements (unlike the plane operators that frequently don't have a clue). It is also my personal opinion that les Douannes will stop looking at reasons to travel in January (even if they are now - I will find out on 8th Jan). They haven't in the past having left ET to do all of the pre-travel checks and, with the way things are going i.e. pandemic parity there is little benefit in doing so.

That's just my personal view though.
latest report
Ozboy wrote:
@andolini, you can ski the whole PDS if you buy a pass in Morgins (or France) as they do not differentiate on nationality.

You mean at the moment , have you tried ? Would have thought the French would stop it , so realistically you can ski the
PDS if you keep your mouth shut , avoid restaurants where they can ask for covid status or on any lifts ?

Sounds a bit iffy . Many thanks
ski holidays
@andolini, yes we been in France for two week and we skied side on 24th. There
are no restrictions in PDS, other than the required vaccination passes, and no need to keep mouth shut as there are already Brits either living here, arrived before the cutoff or arriving with by having flown into GVA or driving from Holland via Germany.
snow conditions
Ozboy wrote:
@andolini, yes we been in France for two week and we skied side on 24th. There
are no restrictions in PDS, other than the required vaccination passes, and no need to keep mouth shut as there are already Brits either living here, arrived before the cutoff or arriving with by having flown into GVA or driving from Holland via Germany.

Very helpful , so if you are a Swiss side holidaymaker who has flown into Geneva there is nothing to stop you skiing or
eating in the PDS ?
snow report
@andolini, No. Holiday makers come from all over Europe and further and would be an impossible task to single out Brits that arrived after the cutoff.
latest report
@22 dropout, are you travelling out on the 8th then? if my memory serves me correctly you're between the UK and Cham. Do you qualify to travel between the UK and FR during these restrictions?
snow report
Does anyone know anyone that has flown into Geneva and taken bus to France please? Meant to be going on Sunday!!!
snow report
Don't forget who assumes the EU Presidency on Saturday - Mr Macron. France for the first time in 14 years.
I suspect that plus his electioneering will have him trying to demonstrate how tough he is on a non EU country, attempting to drag the rest of the EU in his direction, especially the new German Chancellor.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/french-foreign-policy/europe/the-french-presidency-of-the-council-of-the-european-union/
ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:
@andolini, No. Holiday makers come from all over Europe and further and would be an impossible task to single out Brits that arrived after the cutoff.

You are not legally allowed to be on the French side though ? Sorry for my hesitation I just envision moody French lift operators or
restaurant owners recognising a uk covid pass or lift pass issued online to a uk address ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy