Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Mother hucker wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Wonder what all these mad dash 'get there before the rules change' people are going to do if one of your group has a positive test for your uk re-entry?

Getting in to France is only half the problem.

That's the plan. I aint coming back in pre booked 2 weeks, I'm telling the kids school we're having to isolate in France due to + test for me then the nest week + test for the Mrs. don't know what the rest if the season holds and I can run my business from over here, 4 weeks skiing in the face of defeat

Love this Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JDL65 wrote:
Well we changed our plans to try to get away today. Much stress yesterday to achieve it all, but one single, vital thing was beyond our control.
However our PCR tests didn't come back in time as the 24 hr priority post turned out to be 48 hours+, so much to the delight of Extremophile our Christmas plans are shattered.
We've had one single night away from home in over 2 years thanks to Covid, and lost 3 holidays now. All triple jabbed and have also all had covid.
Seriously gutted.

Hope those that did get away have a fantastic time and come home safe.

FYI I don't take delight out of others misfortune.

By the way I know exactly what it is like to not be able to get away, being allowed to open we have to be here to work... Obvs! During lockdowns we were just as locked down as everyone else (except Dominic Cummings )

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 17-12-21 18:24; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don’t know where they have the information from but Brittany Ferries are under the impression these new travel rules are in place for two weeks….according to a letter/update issued today by their CEO…a glimmer of hope maybe
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Extremophile wrote:
JDL65 wrote:
Well we changed our plans to try to get away today. Much stress yesterday to achieve it all, but one single, vital thing was beyond our control.
However our PCR tests didn't come back in time as the 24 hr priority post turned out to be 48 hours+, so much to the delight of Extremophile our Christmas plans are shattered.
We've had one single night away from home in over 2 years thanks to Covid, and lost 3 holidays now. All triple jabbed and have also all had covid.
Seriously gutted.

By the way I know exactly what it is like to not be able to get away, being allowed to open we have to be here to work... Obvs! During lockdowns we were just as locked down as everyone else (except Dominic Cummings )

Intentional or not, your posts today have come across that way.
We weren't the only ones whose results didn't come back today. There was a French / Swiss lady in tears, and other couples who also couldn't travel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JDL65 wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
JDL65 wrote:
Seriously gutted.

We weren't the only ones whose results didn't come back today. There was a French / Swiss lady in tears, and other couples who also couldn't travel.

In your opinion... I disagree, but it doesn't surprise me you think this way, people usually try to imply such things when what is being said simply questions or contradicts what they think or want to do, and it's because it clashes with their egos... nothing more.

Obviously people would be upset they can't go rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Extremophile wrote:
JDL65 wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
JDL65 wrote:
Seriously gutted.

Given how many people have had their Christmas plans shattered in the last 36 hours, you aren't showing any empathy. Perhaps your posts should have been saved until after the weekend when people aren't feeling so upset and sore.

In your opinion... I disagree, but it doesn't surprise me you think this way, people usually try to imply such things when what is being said simply questions or contradicts what they think or want to do, and it's because it clashes with their egos... nothing more.

Obviously people would be upset they can't go rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So now you're telling me whatI should be posting about/ what empathy I should be showing simply because you lost your holiday? Crumbs talk about ego...you're angry, I get it, but that does not mean what I said implied I take delight from others misfortune. What a strange leap you have made.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've mentioned it on the Andorra thread, but worth being aware of a report from Tagesschau in Germany. Both because it might be of use to someone but might also hint at other restrictions by other countries.

It looks like France, Norway and Andorra are all going to be listed by the German federal government as high-risk areas from Sunday. It isn't clear yet if that includes anyone in transit and it looks like ten-days quarantine for anyone unvaccinated. Not sure of the ages at which children have to have had the jab.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Extremophile wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:
4 weeks skiing in the face of defeat

Only if you/someone in your group doesn't test positive, then you really will have to isolate - if one of you gets it, you all will...you are tempting fate by lying about having covid. And surely sets a terrible example to kids.

you deffo won't test positive with all the negative flowing from you.

no one said I'd lie if I got it and if I do I'll follow the rules.
I'm gona lie and say I have had it and we can't come home. What's a couple of weeks off school compared to a month skiing?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I remember when this forum used to be about skiing…and equipment….. and travelling to the mountains. Happy days indeed!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Will you tell your kids you have Covid and then take them out skiing but swear them to secrecy?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why not just tell them you're gonna have an extra long ski holiday - my kids would have loved that.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, I'm only telling the school we can't come back. My girls know how to keep a secret. Their school kicks off if we want to take the day off to travel to Poland on a Friday which Is the only day Ryanair fly out to my wife's part of poland
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mother hucker wrote:
Extremophile wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:
4 weeks skiing in the face of defeat

Only if you/someone in your group doesn't test positive, then you really will have to isolate - if one of you gets it, you all will...you are tempting fate by lying about having covid. And surely sets a terrible example to kids.

you deffo won't test positive with all the negative flowing from you.

no one said I'd lie if I got it and if I do I'll follow the rules.
I'm gona lie and say I have had it and we can't come home. What's a couple of weeks off school compared to a month skiing?

I get the staying skiing part I don’t get the lieing
To school part!
School are obliged to send online work for any one isolating that’s government guidance . So therefore making the teachers set this work is unfair to them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As mentioned somewhere in this thread Brittany Ferries CEO seems about as upbeat as you can get with the restrictions, from his letter on their website:

"Although we are yet to receive official notification of how long any restrictions may be in place, we understand the changes to travel requirements will begin Saturday 18th December for two weeks (but this will be subject to change), we’re planning to support affected passengers through this short-term arrangement.................

.........With dates for this temporary change being unclear, we’re not going to proactively contact people on sailings we believe to be affected. I suspect further change may come suddenly so I’ll make sure our webpages are kept up to date; please continue to refer to these for information and support.

Please note the above will be subject to review this Tuesday 21st December."

from

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/coronavirus/ceo-message
snow conditions
Mother hucker wrote:
@pam w, I'm only telling the school we can't come back. My girls know how to keep a secret. Their school kicks off if we want to take the day off to travel to Poland on a Friday which Is the only day Ryanair fly out to my wife's part of poland
I don't think that you are teaching your kids a decent lesson- lie and cheat- but don't get caught. All a bit Boris.
ski holidays
ed123 wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:
I don't think that you are teaching your kids a decent lesson- lie and cheat- but don't get caught. All a bit Boris.

thinking about it you're right. I shouldn't include my kids in that. I'll be straight with school and tell them we're staying out here. Who knows we may not be able to ski again for another season the way things are going.
snow conditions
Well done, @Mother hucker. I would do exactly the same. I always took my kids out of school for cheap(er) ski holidays in early January. My Dad always took us out of school too, for quiet camping holidays in early July. I often missed school exams, though I did manage to get to the ones that counted.
ski holidays
The two week thing from the Brittany ferries CEO is interesting; I wonder if someone with a better understanding of French law/restrictions might be able to provide a bit of colour?

If I were to guess it's one of three things in order of likeliness:
- French covid regs allow gov to introduce new restrictions with a default expiry of 2 weeks, extensions must be voted on in their version of parliament
- He's just completely guessing/hoping/trying to quell the onslaught of customer service requests
- The impacted industry leaders have been given a little bit more detail directly by politicians/ministers
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Well done, @Mother hucker. I would do exactly the same. I always took my kids out of school for cheap(er) ski holidays in early January. My Dad always took us out of school too, for quiet camping holidays in early July. I often missed school exams, though I did manage to get to the ones that counted.

+1
snow report
Well that was a week to forget Puzzled

Our planned trip to VT 26/12/21 cancelled due to Monsieur Macron & Co...what this will do to the French economy God only nows, seems to me "cut your nose off to spite your face"

We were DIY, euro tunnel booked (haven't done anything with this yet) apartment booked through VBRO messaged the owner who told me I had to officially cancel on the website, he has a no refund policy.

I canceled the apt & this automatically generated a refund for the 'Stay Tax' of €161.34

I requested a 100% refund from the owner as the cancellation was due to France closing the border, his response was "I will see if I can relet the apt" read into that what you may rolling eyes

I contacted VBRO who said they would 'encourage' the owner to refund as this was outside of our control....thats it!

I then suggested that at the very least the owner should refund the cleaning element @ €50.00 & VBRO should forfeit their fee @ €391.20

They advised that I email the owner & ask for the cleaning element...think I will give him a few days to consider refunding the cash.

As for their fee I was told that this would be refunded only if the owner issued a full refund Mad

And so it goes on, I have referred this to the credit card company (so glad I paid on credit Very Happy )

But, on the positive, we have booked with Crystal, going 27/12/21 got an amazing deal Toofy Grin

I will sort VBRO/owner out when I get abck, not holding out to much optimism that they will refund, most likely laughing their proverbial c%%cks off Twisted Evil

If thats the case, thats me done with France & VBRO
snow conditions
@michaelbury17, nightmare- rather surprisingly our chalet owner emailed us Thursday night to say they would refund.

Where you going now?
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
ed123 wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

thinking about it you're right. I shouldn't include my kids in that. I'll be straight with school and tell them we're staying out here. Who knows we may not be able to ski again for another season the way things are going.

Best to be upfront about it. The other factor about lying about the having to isolate is the school would then set work for the kids to do since they are ‘isolating’ and have nothing to do except stay in, so then the kids would be expected to do the school work when they are actually out skiing all day. That wouldn’t be a bit of homework it would be a full replacement for the lessons they had missed. I think if I was still at school that would stress me out.
snow report
Just write to the school and ask for the time off. Point out family and cultural ties, keeping up a foreign language etc. I chanced it and the school were very willing to listen and surprisingly grant a few days extra holiday.

Interesting to see how many people on this forum, and in general, express shock and outrage about the goings on in Downing Street and Westminster government departments this time last year before then discussing ways to circumvent Covid legislation, school rules etc etc.
latest report
@michaelbury17, so sorry to hear your refund might be in doubt.fingers cross for the refund. Out of interest where are you going with crystal? I've been looking for Italy , Austria and Switzerland.

We're booked for 2nd Jan to Avoriaz with Family Ski who are taking a wait and see policy they had a very good link into the French Government thinking and seemed to have a 24hr heads up on most things last season and this.

They accepted people early Friday & saturday and have been super flexible it appears.

We're looking at going in through Holland and staying in Germany and clearing their restrictions with friends before heading in from there. Seems there's nothing in regs and sworn statement prohibiting this yet.

I'm not interested in getting drawn I to anything however there is a difference between the rule makers braking their own rules and then being surprised when they are called out and held accountable.

Worth remembering We're a ski forum not political one........

But hey fingers crossed everyone can get out to the slopes.
snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

We're looking at going in through Holland

Full lockdown in Holland reported to be expected shortly.
latest report
@michaelbury17, owner is probably at the mercy of VRBO, they won't have seen a penny of your money yet. VRBO will be keeping it until you arrive.
snow report
So if one is willing to gamble and does not care about the rules except for rule number 5 Laughing

Here are two ways to get into France.

Fly to Turin, rent a car and drive over the border at Montgenevre looking so Italian.

Or if you don't think you can manage that, get collected at Turin by a mate, at Claviere get into your ski togs and skis your mate brought with him, buy a Via Lattea liftpass and ski over to Montgenevre and then meet your mate in France.

Today I traveled back and forth over the border to from Turin and could see that was all possible Very Happy

And on a slightly more serious note I witnessed two groups of migrants, one walking up the road with what looked like an aid worker, and then at the border itself, as I was waved through without even looking in the van this time, there was another group being led away Sad

The graffiti that's now appeared in the tunnels with regards to FOM is quite staggering, I should have taken some pictures.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
michaelbury17 wrote:

Our planned trip to VT 26/12/21 cancelled due to Monsieur Macron & Co...what this will do to the French economy God only nows, seems to me "cut your nose off to spite your face"

We were DIY, euro tunnel booked (haven't done anything with this yet) apartment booked through VBRO messaged the owner who told me I had to officially cancel on the website, he has a no refund policy.

I canceled the apt & this automatically generated a refund for the 'Stay Tax' of €161.34

I requested a 100% refund from the owner as the cancellation was due to France closing the border, his response was "I will see if I can relet the apt" read into that what you may rolling eyes

I contacted VBRO who said they would 'encourage' the owner to refund as this was outside of our control....thats it!

I then suggested that at the very least the owner should refund the cleaning element @ €50.00 & VBRO should forfeit their fee @ €391.20

They advised that I email the owner & ask for the cleaning element...think I will give him a few days to consider refunding the cash.

As for their fee I was told that this would be refunded only if the owner issued a full refund Mad

And so it goes on, I have referred this to the credit card company (so glad I paid on credit Very Happy )

But, on the positive, we have booked with Crystal, going 27/12/21 got an amazing deal Toofy Grin

I will sort VBRO/owner out when I get abck, not holding out to much optimism that they will refund, most likely laughing their proverbial c%%cks off Twisted Evil

A friend out in Meribel for 6 weeks was speaking to the (English) person they are renting from , who lives there, who said that if the reason for cancelation is government action preventing travel, then they have to refund you.
I don't know if this is 100% correct though, but may be worth further exploration.
latest report
Boris wrote:
@michaelbury17, nightmare- rather surprisingly our chalet owner emailed us Thursday night to say they would refund.

Where you going now?

Well I may be doing our host an injustice...we shall see! rolling eyes

Booked with Crystal, Zell am See, Austria half board & the reviews are awesome Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
xanderajma wrote:
@michaelbury17, so sorry to hear your refund might be in doubt.fingers cross for the refund. Out of interest where are you going with crystal? I've been looking for Italy , Austria and Switzerland.

We're booked for 2nd Jan to Avoriaz with Family Ski who are taking a wait and see policy they had a very good link into the French Government thinking and seemed to have a 24hr heads up on most things last season and this.

They accepted people early Friday & saturday and have been super flexible it appears.

We're looking at going in through Holland and staying in Germany and clearing their restrictions with friends before heading in from there. Seems there's nothing in regs and sworn statement prohibiting this yet.

I'm not interested in getting drawn I to anything however there is a difference between the rule makers braking their own rules and then being surprised when they are called out and held accountable.

Worth remembering We're a ski forum not political one........

But hey fingers crossed everyone can get out to the slopes.
snowHead snowHead snowHead

Haha the eternal optimist Puzzled

Zell an See, Austria.

Took the plunge Thursday evening , the price wen t up £100pp whilst we were deliberating, still got a bargain, think it was discounted by 42% Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@michaelbury17, owner is probably at the mercy of VRBO, they won't have seen a penny of your money yet. VRBO will be keeping it until you arrive.

Absolutely , I appreciate that VBRO hold the money until the transaction has been completed.

Therefore, why do VBRO not refund in full, act in a responsible manner...we didn't cancel, the French Govt shut the border.

I fully agree that if we had cancelled of our own choice different matter all together , no problem with T&Cs in normal circumstances, yet as we are all aware times are different, strange & unpredictable .
latest report
JDL65 wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:

A friend out in Meribel for 6 weeks was speaking to the (English) person they are renting from , who lives there, who said that if the reason for cancelation is government action preventing travel, then they have to refund you.
I don't know if this is 100% correct though, but may be worth further exploration.

Unfortunately not the advice I was given yesterday , seems VBRO are sitting 'firmly' on the fence.

However, thats not to say the info supplied may be slightly weighted in VBRO's favour...just saying. I shall dig deep & see if I vcan get them to revoke the contract & refund in full.

I shall update on progress Confused
ski holidays
Why would we expect chalet owners to give a refund? Not their fault if borders are shut and they have offered a refund they can relet. I would hope for a credit or look to travel insurance to cover. Locals here in Chatel are devastated as Brits represent around 40pct of visitors over Christmas / New Year holidays which was their hope after last years disaster.
latest report
Ozboy wrote:
Why would we expect chalet owners to give a refund? Not their fault if borders are shut and they have offered a refund they can relet. I would hope for a credit or look to travel insurance to cover. Locals here in Chatel are devastated as Brits represent around 40pct of visitors over Christmas / New Year holidays which was their hope after last years disaster.

Why not?

They have not incurred any costs, due to circumstances beyond most peoples control the borders have been closed.

Perhaps you are suggesting that I, the customer, who booked in good faith should carry the financial burden?

Oh, to be clear, the host has not offered a refund, far from it, they have intimated that 'they will try & re let the apt.'

No credit offered either, nothing, silch, squidly squat, nought...they (VRBO) have had €3620.00 of our cash...we were ready to go & through no fault of our own we are not welcome, allowed rolling eyes

As far as I am aware no travel insurance will cover this situation, certainty ours has confirmed 'No cover.'
snow report
@michaelbury17, Credit card chargeback?
snow report
Why should it be their burden? Are you insured that will cover (or what about credit card if paid that way? It was reserved for your party and as such they were not able to rent to to others and as such would be out of pocket if they gave a refund. They are fine if operating working the T&C’s which I assume you accepted when booking. We are at a very risky time which I hope does not continue for too long and bookings should be made with caution.
snow conditions
ringingmaster wrote:
@michaelbury17, Credit card chargeback?

We have registered a claim through our c/card
ski holidays
@michaelbury17,
I would guess your cancelled holiday is a small(ish) % of your annual income. For the tour operators the ski season IS their annual income. They have massive costs.
latest report
Ozboy wrote:
Why should it be their burden? Are you insured that will cover (or what about credit card if paid that way? It was reserved for your party and as such they were not able to rent to to others and as such would be out of pocket if they gave a refund. They are fine if operating working the T&C’s which I assume you accepted when booking. We are at a very risky time which I hope does not continue for too long and bookings should be made with caution.

Did you not read my previous post?

You ask the question 'why should it be their burden?'

Who do you think should be liable?

As I said, whilst they have lost a potentially lucrative let, they haven't actually lost any hard cash...atm I am out of pocket circa  €3620, or is that not a significant amount of cash to you?

For the avoidance of any doubt, it is to me.

As previous, i was prepared to go, I didn’t cancel, the French Govt shut the borders!

No insurer (the advice I was given) offers cover for situations such as what has happened with France closing the borders, or do you know different?

Yes, under what was normal circumstances I am quote happy with their T&Cs - these are not 'normal circumstances' are you not listening?

I can only assume from your responses that you are an owner & feel as such that any potential renter is liable, no responsibility or liability falls on your shoulders - why would you feel entitled to take the money?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy