Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
@hold_my_biere, hire cars in Switzerland have AI plates which in GVA/France basically screams “I’m a tourist who just hired this car at GVA”.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gämsbock wrote:
@hold_my_biere, hire cars in Switzerland have AI plates which in GVA/France basically screams “I’m a tourist who just hired this car at GVA”.
Soooooo true !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hold_my_biere wrote:
Chamsters wrote:
Klammertime wrote:
For those asking about still transiting into France from airports in Switzerland/Italy etc I'd think that's a very risky strategy to try and do. Going to be obvious you're a skiing tourist and not a trucker! Would think French authorities will close that loophole pretty smartish. Can only end badly in some enforced expensive quarantine.

It is risky, you're right. I do wonder whether every single border crossing will have people enforcing rules - i guess that's part of the risk. I'm waiting for official guidance around this still....

I honestly don't think flying into Geneva and driving into France in a rental car with Swiss plates would be risky at all. It doesn't matter if you look like a ski tourist. There are loads of skiers that live in Geneva and head into France every day so you'll just look like one of them. Even in the unlikely event you get stopped they have to ask if you've been in the UK recently.

Until they look at a passport, and see that it has JUST been stamped.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Exactly. Pretty expensive mistake if you get caught.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

i doubt flights will get cancelled, so people have already committed to losing the money anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
swskier wrote:
Such a pain.

We're not due to fly until 14th Jan. Airbnb is free cancellation until 1st Jan, so I think we will end up cancelling the Airbnb and train tickets from the airport, get all our money back, and wait until last minute to decide on the flight. They're in to Geneva, so either go from there to Switzerland, or move to Italy or Austria depending on everyone's entry requirements.

You never know, France might be back on the cards again by then!

Is that a mandatory full refund from air BnB due to covid restrictions or just the hosts chosen option ? Thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mr.Egg wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

i doubt flights will get cancelled, so people have already committed to losing the money anyway.
And if they get turned away at the French border they will have to incur more expense getting home (at zero notice, always the most expensive way to travel) or travelling on to a different country. It's a risk.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
New form required to enter France along with sworn statement:

https://passager.serveureos.org/forms/

Is UK not in the list of countries in the drop down? I can't see anything UK, Grand Bretagne, Angleterre...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Specialman wrote:

Is UK not in the list of countries in the drop down? I can't see anything UK, Grand Bretagne, Angleterre...

Royaume Uni - is what you need to look for if you are British
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Specialman wrote:

Royame-Uni
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Specialman wrote:

Royame-Uni

Where is coming from anyway? Got a link?

edit: found it https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements
However this applies from Saturday 18th

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 16-12-21 15:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heard on the radio that the French ban is down to them buying time to get more boosters done before opening back up - sort of a sensible approach but obviously not the best of times for people. Bearing in mind peak tourism periods for resorts (Feb, July, August), I'm more than sure that they are throwing weight behind having a very economically viable ski February (unless they shut all resorts again).

Decided to take a glass half full approach this morning in relation to the news - I usually book direct with French owners but went this time with a French agency and have until 14 Jan to get 100% refund (full payment not required until 8 Feb). To play the law of averages, I've just booked another appartment for the first week of school Easter break which I have until mid Feb to cancel (and both kids will be double jabbed at that point so no hassles with test booking in resort).

I can't go on both hols but, the way I see it, one hopefully will come off and I can cancel the other. Not the way I like to do things. Oh, and we drive so Eurotunnel can be moved. Hadn't done anything else as, having missed out on skiing for 2 years now, I'm just not prepared to get excited and have the rug pulled out from underneath me anymore.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FYI from yours truly who has avidly perused the data for months (AKA Mrs Covid Geek)
Here's some stats for us to amuse ourselves with-taken from the relevant Govt websites (access through Worldometer website)

UK: Population 68 million. In hospital (as of yesterday's figures) 7673, on "mechanical ventilation" 896. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk
France-Population 65 million. In hospital 15062. In "reanimation" 2843. https://dashboard.covid19.data.gouv.fr/vue-d-ensemble?location=FRA

Even allowing for there being a difference between "reanimation" and "mechanical ventilation" doesn't that tell us something?
The santepublique france website is less user friendly now it's been improved-it used to be my go to source of french info, so I struggle to find the total number of tests done each day. But it was always less than the UK total.

Arrgghhhhhh! We try and take January off. We work Feb..law of s*d means if/when they do let us back in, I'll can't go.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 16-12-21 15:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Perty, bloody hell!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@andmelffion, @rob@rar, @Oleski, thank you Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

And if they get turned away at the French border they will have to incur more expense getting home (at zero notice, always the most expensive way to travel) or travelling on to a different country. It's a risk.

... or try one of the many other routes in the hopes one is unmanned or you're not randomly selected multiple times.

Some of the borders are basically on residential streets / high streets of towns.
latest report
So travelling through France. On the cards or not?

Got our eurotunnel booked for 28th Jan. Was meant to be driving to the 3V but now considering a different option. Maybe Austria or Andorra, would still like to drive as that gives us more flexibility than flying (and less contact with others!).
snow conditions
Specialman wrote:
This is going to be under discussion for a lot of people, especially those (like me) who are going to Andorra:

Travellers in transit for less than 24 hours in an international zone.[b]

I don't *know* but by using the term 'International Zone' aren't they implying flight transfers pre-immigration? i.e. in the international zone of an airport
ski holidays
Levi215 wrote:
Specialman wrote:
This is going to be under discussion for a lot of people, especially those (like me) who are going to Andorra:

I don't *know* but by using the term 'International Zone' aren't they implying flight transfers pre-immigration? i.e. in the international zone of an airport

yep that's how i'd read it. as opposed to "you have 24 hours to drive through the country spreading your germs all over our great nation"
snow report
Very busy at euro tunnel this afternoon. Arrived at 12.30 , booked on 13.50. Just boarding now for 14.50, but we’re still going skiing! Christmas is saved!
snow report
Ok maybe this will help those travelling just after the deadline but i have managed to rebook to flights tomorrow (one day early) to Paris CDG and and rented a car to meet my original rental car down near the alps as it has a winter pack.

You just need to find a flight to anywhere in France and clear immigration by 11pm and rent a car/catch a train. Probably need a cheapy hotel enroute but this keeps us on schedule for a much needed holiday. Kids are over the moon! Will be bringing a work laptop in case we cant get home afterwards. Funnily enough not so concerned about this Smile But Hope it all goes to the new plan

Am really sorry for those that will suffer - horrible feeling when you have planned for months.

Good luck to those attempting to break for the border !
snow report
Perty wrote:
FYI from yours truly who has avidly perused the data for months (AKA Mrs Covid Geek)
Here's some stats for us to amuse ourselves with-taken from the relevant Govt websites (access through Worldometer website)

UK: Population 68 million. In hospital (as of yesterday's figures) 7673, on "mechanical ventilation" 896. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk
France-Population 65 million. In hospital 15062. In "reanimation" 2843. https://dashboard.covid19.data.gouv.fr/vue-d-ensemble?location=FRA

Even allowing for there being a difference between "reanimation" and "mechanical ventilation" doesn't that tell us something?
The santepublique france website is less user friendly now it's been improved-it used to be my go to source of french info, so I struggle to find the total number of tests done each day. But it was always less than the UK total.

Arrgghhhhhh! We try and take January off. We work Feb..law of s*d means if/when they do let us back in, I'll can't go.

Our World In Data will give you tests per 1,000 population, positivity rate and sequencing rate for the UK and France, all of which back you up and suggest that the overall case numbers and Omicron share in France are much higher than the official testing figures.
ski holidays
Does anyone know how quickly C19testing.co.uk tests come back?

We have some spares and are going to make a dash for Eurotunnel tonight (tests were booked for tomorrow and flexiplus booking tomorrow evening)
latest report
@Perty, reanimation = ICU - hard to compare the data directly tho' innit?

Just talking to my bro-in-law & chums, almost everyone in London has covid. It's a but nuts.
latest report
ma94jcg wrote:
Does anyone know how quickly C19testing.co.uk tests come back?

We have some spares and are going to make a dash for Eurotunnel tonight (tests were booked for tomorrow and flexiplus booking tomorrow evening)
For Lateral Flow tests, it was just over two hours from me uploading the photo to receiving the certificate by email, when I did they test last week.
snow report
@rob@rar, Question about declaration of honour - did you tick the boxes (in particular the "If I am not vaccinated" one) or just signed it?
snow conditions
I also did a lateral flow test yesterday, received certificate in 2 hours.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd probably try and argue you're not cancelling, the French government have stopped you from going, you'd go if you were allowed and see where that gets you

This seems fair enough, but as far as I know as there is no actual lockdown it doesn't apply, as the accommodation is still open and waiting for you. I'm expecting something similar for my January bookings, but as I didn't actually deal with the people myself, and they are booked through a 3rd party, it will take time to sort.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Levi215 wrote:

I spoke to crystal this morning an it seems that my rip to Andorra via Toulouse own Sunday is still on because of the transit 'loophole'.

I wait with baited breath to see if there's clarification over the next 24hrs. Still not entirely sure I believe that I'll be skiing come Monday
latest report
Oleski wrote:
@rob@rar, Question about declaration of honour - did you tick the boxes (in particular the "If I am not vaccinated" one) or just signed it?
I ticked the boxes. Found a ticked checkbox character (in the Wingdings 2 font on a Mac) so I was able to complete all of the form in Word, then add a previously scanned signature, save the completed form as a PDF and upload that to my Eurotunnel API.
snow conditions
LittleRos wrote:

Our World In Data will give you tests per 1,000 population, positivity rate and sequencing rate for the UK and France, all of which back you up and suggest that the overall case numbers and Omicron share in France are much higher than the official testing figures.

According to this the latest data on the share of infections that are Omicron is just 2.33% in UK. That as 3 days ago but still a lot less than the 50% they were talking about yesterday. And France at that point was 4% - so ahead of us.
Look at the data below....

Cases per million are at similar level. But France are testing much less than us; and more tests are coming up positive - suggesting they have less visibility of the number of total cases

Definitely bolting the door after the horse has bolted
ski holidays
Anyone know if they're stopping inflatables crossing the channel the other way?
latest report
Chamsters wrote:
Levi215 wrote:
Specialman wrote:

yep that's how i'd read it. as opposed to "you have 24 hours to drive through the country spreading your germs all over our great nation"

Accordng to the BBC - Transit means just that ie - Travellers in transit for less than 24 hours in French airports' international zones
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Oleski wrote:
I ticked the boxes. Found a ticked checkbox character (in the Wingdings 2 font on a Mac) so I was able to complete all of the form in Word, then add a previously scanned signature, save the completed form as a PDF and upload that to my Eurotunnel API.

Thanks, I was a bit worried that they will misinterpret me tricking the "If I am not vaccinated" box for me actually being not vaccinated
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
Quote:

I'd probably try and argue you're not cancelling, the French government have stopped you from going, you'd go if you were allowed and see where that gets you

This seems fair enough, but as far as I know as there is no actual lockdown it doesn't apply, as the accommodation is still open and waiting for you. I'm expecting something similar for my January bookings, but as I didn't actually deal with the people myself, and they are booked through a 3rd party, it will take time to sort.

It may be specific terms on specific accommodation, this seems to apply to where I booked as these are the terms for my booking.

Covid-19 Terms
If the clients are unable to travel, for the period of the booked stay, due to one of the following scenarios related to COVID-19 (effective on the date of arrival), then 100% refund will be given:

If the government of the country of origin of the person who made the reservation forbids all travel abroad to France.
If travel or border restrictions in France (ordered by the French government in response to COVID-19) prevent the person who made the reservation from travelling to France or to the rented property.
If the ski resort in which the property is located is ordered to close for winter sports activities (for example ski lifts are closed).
If the French government decides, up to the day before arrival, to impose quarantine restrictions on the country or geographical zone of the property for the period of the client's stay. This is on condition that the client does not spend the quarantine period in the reserved property.
If there is a mandatory lockdown and travel prohibition in France or the country of origin of the person who made the reservation.
For any cancellation, a 95€ handling fee will be retained.
snow report
This whole reaction is closing the door after the horse has bolted. Its a farce both the UK and France. Pointless stopping UK arrivals if you still have porous borders elsewhere.

Yes there will be more hospitalisations, but that was always going to be the case in Winter.
snow report
FrediKanoute wrote:
This whole reaction is closing the door after the horse has bolted. Its a farce both the UK and France. Pointless stopping UK arrivals if you still have porous borders elsewhere.

Yes there will be more hospitalisations, but that was always going to be the case in Winter.

Please do not confuse common sense with political posturing - especially with a Presidential election looming. Laughing
snow conditions
zazoupazou wrote:
LittleRos wrote:

According to this the latest data on the share of infections that are Omicron is just 2.33% in UK. That as 3 days ago but still a lot less than the 50% they were talking about yesterday. And France at that point was 4% - so ahead of us.
Look at the data below....

Cases per million are at similar level. But France are testing much less than us; and more tests are coming up positive - suggesting they have less visibility of the number of total cases

Definitely bolting the door after the horse has bolted

Not all PCR positives are sequenced, though more are in the UK than most countries. Presumably the 50% figure is the proportion they are seeing in sequenced cases. S-gene dropout %ages may also provide a rough guide to omicron vs delta rates.
ski holidays
andmelffion wrote:
Chamsters wrote:
Levi215 wrote:
Specialman wrote:

Accordng to the BBC - Transit means just that ie - Travellers in transit for less than 24 hours in French airports' international zones

And the French document listing reasons only mentions airports as well (last line) so not sure Crystal are correct.

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/content/download/130184/1036619/file/1612-motifs-imperieux-uk.pdf
snow conditions
Hel1234 wrote:
....And the French document listing reasons only mentions airports as well (last line) so not sure Crystal are correct....

I'm fully expecting 'clarification' of the rules in the next 24hrs or so to put the kibosh on our trip.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy