Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Updates Travel Restrictions

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, that sounds like tourism. My son and family were due to fly next week to visit his partner's mother, who is Austrian but lives in France and has French nationality. They are scrambling to get everything plus 2 kids into the car and cross by ferry tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Handy Turnip wrote:
I know you're at the mercy of the TO, but just wondering if flying into Spain for a trip to Andorra was still an option. Not sure what the current Spanish travel restrictions are..

We have an unvaccinated 12yo so I believe that kills off any option for Spain. Like many parents we're (selfishly) bemoaning the delays to giving vaccinations out to kids... mind you, it's a moot point for France.

I think the reality is that with us not being able to take kids out during term time, and my missus working in social care that demands her time at half term and easter, a trip this season is now out of the question. Really gutted
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Just goes to show.. two vaccines and a booster were a waste of time

Laughing Some perspective needed!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Trevskii wrote:
Plan B. Has anyone looked into whether USA, Scandanavia, Andorra (via Spain) are possibilities from this weekend? Last time I looked I couldn't get a single vaxed 12-15 into Canada, so I think Canada is out

Sweden is OK (today), but who knows by New Year. My OH is Swedish, so the rules are slightly different for us - if they change in the next few days. But, in the bigger scheme of things, if this year gets cancelled (same as last year), I'll just be grateful that I still have my health.

Looks nice and white 'up North' today.
https://liveevent.nu/hemavan-tarnaby/hemavan_1_1280.jpg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does anyone know if you can still transit through France?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulo wrote:
Quote:

Just goes to show.. two vaccines and a booster were a waste of time

Laughing Some perspective needed!

Indeed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So sorry for those unable to make changes to their arrangements and get away and into France before late tomorrow evening.

We're lucky enough that our 17 yo finishes school today, I work for myself and my OH can take tomorrow off, so have rebooked our flights to fly BRS - GVA tomorrow instead on BOH - GVA on Saturday, rebooked the car hire, rebooked the airport parking, and the agency have said we can get into the aprtment tomorrow too. Also cancelled the original flights, car hire etc. Stressful or what, but recognise how fortunate we are in comparison to so many others whose plans have been shattered.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@downbytheriver7, I’d say no based on what I’ve read.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
was due to go Sunday. Saw availability on Eurotunnel for 5am tomorrow morning - hesitated for 10mins as I considered logistics to skip work tomorrow, get all kids tested, car packed etc etc - decide it is possible, - crossing slots gone. gutted doesn't describe it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
so hauliers are exempt....and there is a shortage of lorry drivers....mmm how long does it take to get qualified ?can get a lot of skiis in a lorry so no need to worry about roof bars Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I feel sorry for people who have family or second homes in France. Ski holidays can be rearranged to other countries and I know that is a utter pain and expensive. What concerns me is that Pandemic's of this magnitude last about five years. I genuinely wished I had not moved back to UK from Germany in 2013.

I am not enjoying living on this island.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Deleted

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 16-12-21 12:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@backhojo, Carrying skis for personal use doesn’t count!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JDL65, fair play, that is a good effort. Hope you have a good trip.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
downbytheriver7 wrote:

One of the reasons you can enter France.

Travellers in transit for less than 24 hours in an international zone.

If that doesnt mean you can transit, then Im misinterpreting it incorrectly.
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, I posted previously, but essentially he’s alive to make the post
ski holidays
jafa wrote:
downbytheriver7 wrote:

One of the reasons you can enter France.

Travellers in transit for less than 24 hours in an international zone.

If that doesnt mean you can transit, then Im misinterpreting it incorrectly.

where are you seeing this list? anything official or just on news sites?
snow report
This is the new dec to be signed before crossing with Eurotunnel

• I hereby certify that my reason for travelling is one of the following compelling reasons (tick box):
• French citizens, their spouses (married, civil union and cohabiting) and their children.
• Citizen of the European Union or equivalent, and their spouse (married, civil union or cohabiting partner) and their children, whose main residence is in France or who is returning, in transit through France, to their main residence in a European Union country or equivalent, or to a country whose nationality they hold;
• Citizens of other countries with a valid French or European residence permit or long-stay visa whose main residence is in France or who are in transit through France to their main residence in a European Union country or a similar country.
• British citizens and their family members who are beneficiaries of the agreement on the withdrawal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community. British civil servants exercising their duties, border police officers and customs officers. Channel Tunnel staff (engaged inter alia in operations, maintenance, security) or cross-Channel facilities staff.
• Citizens of other countries holding a long-stay visa issued for purposes of ordinary family reunion or refugee family reunification, beneficiaries of subsidiary protection and stateless persons.
• Foreign health or research professionals involved in the fight against COVID-19 as well as their spouse (married, civil partner, cohabiting partner subject to proof of community of life) and children.
• Foreign health or research professional engaged as an associate trainee.
• Citizens of other countries with a “talent passport” long-stay visa, as well as their spouse (married, civil union or cohabiting partner on presentation of proof of community of life) and children.
• Students enrolled in French as a foreign language (FFL) courses prior to enrolment in higher education or admitted to the oral examinations of French higher education institutions or enrolled to begin the new 2021-2022 academic year. Researcher or teacher (including language assistants) settling in France at the invitation of a research laboratory, for research activities requiring a physical presence, as well as his/her spouse (married, civil union, cohabiting partner on presentation of proof of community of life) and his/her children.
• Workers in the land, sea and air transport sector or transport service providers (including drivers of any vehicle transporting goods for use in the territory as well as those only in transit, or travelling as passengers to resettle in their home base or for training).
• Foreign citizen working for a diplomatic or consular mission, or an international organisation with its headquarters or an office in France, as well as their spouse and their children or a foreign citizen of a third country staying in France for a compelling professional reason under a mission order issued by their country of origin.
• Travellers in transit for less than 24 hours in an international zone.
snow conditions
@jafa, that's interesting..... so theoretically, Andorra would require transit so our trip could still be on.

I can't take all this drama. My nerves are shredded.
ski holidays
Ive uploaded mine yesterday, so I know thats a new one today. Ive deleted yesterdays, and Im going to re do this one
ski holidays
@backhojo, Yes hire a big White Van they seem completely immune to all laws as to how they park, drive, speed and ignore other road user, just fill it with empty boxes dress up in matching boiler suites say you delivering to the Alps the family are their to help with off loading. Very Happy
latest report
brianatab wrote:
@feefee, BA have been pretty good at changes/refunds/credits, regardless of the reason.

I had an alternative return from the Psb via Grenoble. Cancelled it Friday morning. No problems. Credit confirmation within a couple of hours.

BA are I gather somewhat difficult about refunds, but you can get future travel vouchers up to end of check in easily.

(n.b. My first voucher was for a flight on day 1 of french lockdown. I had already checked in for the flight... Yesterday I booked and cancelled 4 flights because due to backups for PSB I had several vouchers in multiple currencies for various amounts, but you can only use 4 vouchers in one currency and I wanted to book my Gnarlibug/SoPiB/GUFF flights, so did some shuffling to unify them (all hope that this improves by March...)

It looks to me like tit for tat. France are doing the same rules for UK travellers to France as for French travellers to UK - vaccinated, pre-departure test, isolate for 7 days with test on/before day 2 which if negative ends isolation. TBH this seems a reasonable way to minimise spread (as the 2 days is enough for infection after entry test to be detectable) (n.b. this is from various sources so may not be current or correct...) Of course we should probably be doing something similar for internal travel as well...
ski holidays
This is going to be under discussion for a lot of people, especially those (like me) who are going to Andorra:

Travellers in transit for less than 24 hours in an international zone.[b]
latest report
For those asking about still transiting into France from airports in Switzerland/Italy etc I'd think that's a very risky strategy to try and do. Going to be obvious you're a skiing tourist and not a trucker! Would think French authorities will close that loophole pretty smartish. Can only end badly in some enforced expensive quarantine.

BIg Qs are now how long will the ban last and will Italy, Switzerland, Austria etc follow France's lead?

My January France trip look about as likely as winning the lottery jackpot at the moment. Shocked

Hoping my insurance will at least soften the financial now it's official I can't go but I bet they'll weasel out of it somehow.

Why are we always plague island? Sad
snow conditions
@David B, then go back?
snow report
@Chamsters, @thierryd, Thanks
snow report
They've banned all non French residents not just UK haven't they?
ski holidays
And to top it all 2 Christmas cards from relatives I’ve not seen for years arrive, with addresses! More cards to send Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Klammertime wrote:
For those asking about still transiting into France from airports in Switzerland/Italy etc I'd think that's a very risky strategy to try and do. Going to be obvious you're a skiing tourist and not a trucker! Would think French authorities will close that loophole pretty smartish. Can only end badly in some enforced expensive quarantine.

Agreed. I'd rather they clear this up to stop speculation. I'd hope that my TO (Crystal) will take the initiative and look at this as a cause for cancellation rather than trying to force the holiday through via a loophole.
snow report
@Klammertime, exactly, CH will be at least checking for either CH residence/accom and if residence/accom is France, appropriate paperwork. They've done it to me the last few trips.
snow conditions
noggy wrote:
They've banned all non French residents not just UK haven't they?

No, this rules update is only for travellers from the UK.
ski holidays
The chances of Omicron not being rife in France already are surely low, given the increase in overall case numbers in the last fortnight.
ski holidays
UK is ground zero for Europe Omicron...and now getting treated the same as South Africa did when they announced it
latest report
Arghhh, Gutted though also relieved in a weird way as the increasing level of hoops to jump through getting beyond the definition of what a holiday should be.

Hopefully being denied entry for lack of a valid reason to enter will enable a travel insurance claim?

Anyone want any eurolites, UK sticker, or snow chains ?
snow report
Klammertime wrote:

It is risky, you're right. I do wonder whether every single border crossing will have people enforcing rules - i guess that's part of the risk. I'm waiting for official guidance around this still....
ski holidays
stefoy4me wrote:
UK is ground zero for Europe Omicron...and now getting treated the same as South Africa did when they announced it

Something makes me doubt Frances numbers. As per the BBC

"The UK recorded 78,610 new Covid cases on Wednesday - the highest daily number reported since the start of the pandemic.

Slightly more than 10,000 have been confirmed as Omicron, but it is thought that about twice that number are cases of the new variant.

France reported 65,713 new Covid cases over a similar period but has only 240 confirmed cases of Omicron."

Highly unlikely this (thought to be) more infectious variant only has 240 total confirmed cases of Omicron.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 16-12-21 12:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
SW_skier wrote:
Arghhh, Gutted though also relieved in a weird way as the increasing level of hoops to jump through getting beyond the definition of what a holiday should be.

With you on that. Holidays should never be in the face of adversity.
latest report
ster wrote:
Big news alright, looked to have driven biggest number of concurrent users on this site ever.

And loads of new members !!
ski holidays
Phantom wrote:
stefoy4me wrote:

Something makes me doubt Frances numbers. As per the BBC

"The UK recorded 78,610 new Covid cases on Wednesday - the highest daily number reported since the start of the pandemic.

Slightly more than 10,000 have been confirmed as Omicron, but it is thought that about twice that number are cases of the new variant.

France reported 65,713 new Covid cases over a similar period but has only 240 confirmed cases of Omicron."

Highly unlikely this (thought to be) more infectious variant only has 240 total confirmed cases of Omicron.

I assume that it's more to do with identification - we know the UK sequencing is ahead of much of Europe.

The UK number for yesterday was a big one - but previous to that the week on week increases between the UK and France have been pretty much in line.
snow report
ster wrote:
@backhojo, Carrying skis for personal use doesn’t count!

essential safety kit in case of poor weather !
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy