Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss quarantine for UK travellers

Poster: A snowHead
They will relax the controls before the season starts cancelling would be premature
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
trmacc wrote:
tobes wrote:
Quote:
The quarantine rule for transit to France is ridiculous and will be gone in a few days IMO.

I think you’re right. Swiss website changed already to say that transits are allowed.

Isn't that for people transiting through Swiss airports onto other flights?

Got a link? Does anyone know if an antigen test has been accepted?[/quote]

Look here, under “Travelling through Switzerland” - the bit that covers travel from a high risk country (UK) to Schengen.

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/faq-einreiseverweigerung.html#1668147653

Suggests you could land in Geneva and travel onwards to France, for instance.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don’t cancel. We're travelling tomorrow (today!) and will report back.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If i was looking to transit - i wouldn't be cancelling anything.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
telford_mike wrote:
Don’t cancel. We're travelling tomorrow (today!) and will report back.

I can't watch...but hope it all goes well!! Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On the plane now, an hour late, but it’s leaving Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@telford_mike, Good luck.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
telford_mike wrote:
On the plane now, an hour late, but it’s leaving Smile

WOW, please report back when you get there safely, where did you depart, where did you land & where are you staying........good luck
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jonny996, he is a Swiss resident so they have to let him back in.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I suppose the big question is how many non EU/Swiss residents/Nationals were on that flight, and intending to enter the Country?

How many were turned away at check in?
and how many, if any, of the others are allowed to enter?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My understanding of the gov.uk website currently is that you can transit through geneva to france -

"There is no quarantine requirement for those in transit airside at the airport".

So does that mean that I can fly to Geneva (from Bristol) and head to France to ski?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Jonny996, he is a Swiss resident so they have to let him back in.

Thank you for the clarification.

It would be really helpful if posters stating travel success let it be known that they have a different status from the majority on this forum.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
james75 wrote:
My understanding of the gov.uk website currently is that you can transit through geneva to france -

"There is no quarantine requirement for those in transit airside at the airport".

So does that mean that I can fly to Geneva (from Bristol) and head to France to ski?

No. The key words here are " transit airside at the airport" in other words transit onto another plane without entering Switzerland
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
james75 wrote:

My read of that is the keyword is "airside". If you get off one plane and into an another, no quarantine. If you leave the airport to drive into France, quarantine.

But it remains ambiguous, Mrs Gadge is currently waiting in a queue to try and clarify for our flight in Geneva and then to Val T next Sunday. She's been in the queue an hour already, not convinced she'll get an answer, suspect the travel companies can't keep up with the rule changes...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gadge wrote:
james75 wrote:

My read of that is the keyword is "airside". If you get off one plane and into an another, no quarantine. If you leave the airport to drive into France, quarantine.

But it remains ambiguous, Mrs Gadge is currently waiting in a queue to try and clarify for our flight in Geneva and then to Val T next Sunday. She's been in the queue an hour already, not convinced she'll get an answer, suspect the travel companies can't keep up with the rule changes...

UK previously* used the airside rule. You could fly from a red country to elsewhere via a UK airport without quarantine if you stayed airside. Fortunately immigration officials were able to stop the virus at passport control to stop it drifting landside.

*not sure of current rules
snow report
james75 wrote:

If I am not mistaken, arriving at GVA on an international flight you have to pass through Swiss territory and formalities first, even if exiting the airport on the French side ? ie. so you won't remain in transit airside.
Also isn't the French side temporarily closed for a refurb ?
snow conditions
Quote:

If I am not mistaken, arriving at GVA on an international flight you have to pass through Swiss territory and formalities first, even if exiting the airport on the French side ?

No, that's not the case, but at present it's been made clear that it's not possible to use the "French exit" and then drive to the ski resorts without entering into Switzerland at all (which is normally possible).
latest report
I've been informed by the hotel we've got booked in Arosa for 26th Dec:

In addition to the current new regulations, "also seems that it won't be changing anytime soon" and they've offered a full refund. [We paid in advance].

I listen to the cerebral Dr Chris Smith this morning calmly explaining where we stand with Omicron, that there is no bad news at all yet in terms of hospital consequences, this may end up being just another variant and governments have acted swiftly as a precaution. All very sensible.

Then I get the impression that governments are so determined not to be criticised this time around, that they won't be reversing emergency measures no matter the ensuing evidence.
latest report
@james75, As the EasyJet staff in Bristol don't know their bottom from their elbpw you won't get as far as GVA.
Mrs WoC was refused boarding despite being a Schengen resident returning home, being double jabbed and having a neg test. They only boarded around 25% or the pax yesterday and some of those denied were Swiss Nationals.
latest report
Snow&skifan wrote:
I've been informed by the hotel we've got booked in Arosa for 26th Dec:

In addition to the current new regulations, "also seems that it won't be changing anytime soon" and they've offered a full refund. [We paid in advance].

I listen to the cerebral Dr Chris Smith this morning calmly explaining where we stand with Omicron, that there is no bad news at all yet in terms of hospital consequences, this may end up being just another variant and governments have acted swiftly as a precaution. All very sensible.

Then I get the impression that governments are so determined not to be criticised this time around, that they won't be reversing emergency measures no matter the ensuing evidence.

Based on what?

They only implemented said measures a few days ago.
snow report
https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers/Questions-Reponses-FAQ/secteur-france#745d9143-2f7f-40f4-aa70-a426e0d82639

Quote:
IS IT POSSIBLE TO EXIT DIRECTLY FROM THE FRENCH SIDE
WHEN ARRIVING ON AN INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT WITHOUT PASSING
THROUGH SWISS TERRITORY?
No, you must pass through Swiss territory from an international flight.

I wonder if this is just because of the temporary works then, rather than the normal situation then. Must admit I've only ever used the Swiss side.
In any case @pam w it ties up with what you say, that it doesn't look possible.
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:
@james75, As the EasyJet staff in Bristol don't know their bottom from their elbpw you won't get as far as GVA.
Mrs WoC was refused boarding despite being a Schengen resident returning home, being double jabbed and having a neg test. They only boarded around 25% or the pax yesterday and some of those denied were Swiss Nationals.

That’s a shocker! What reason did they give for denying boarding?
snow conditions
Snow&skifan wrote:
... there is no bad news at all yet in terms of hospital consequences
... Then I get the impression that governments are so determined not to be criticised this time around, that they won't be reversing emergency measures no matter the ensuing evidence.
We shall see, but I do think that perhaps they've realized that the way to deal with this is to react quickly and massively, then "let up" restrictions as you learn it's safe to do so.
The other way around has already been proven as inefficient and massively disruptive.

I'm not pessimistic myself. Let's wait for the data, which to be fair is precisely what they are telling us to do,
although the nay-sayers will forget that by the time we know it's not as bad as it could be.
ski holidays
Transiting is considered arriving and so you need to quarantine for 10 days when coming in Geneva, for example.. bad news .. no way around it i was told by Swiss officials.
snow report
Any thoughts on Swiss dropping the 10 day quarantine witin the next 3 weeks, and going back to just requiring a neg PCR?
latest report
philwig wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:
... there is no bad news at all yet in terms of hospital consequences
... Then I get the impression that governments are so determined not to be criticised this time around, that they won't be reversing emergency measures no matter the ensuing evidence.
We shall see, but I do think that perhaps they've realized that the way to deal with this is to react quickly and massively, then "let up" restrictions as you learn it's safe to do so.
The other way around has already been proven as inefficient and massively disruptive.

I'm not pessimistic myself. Let's wait for the data, which to be fair is precisely what they are telling us to do,
although the nay-sayers will forget that by the time we know it's not as bad as it could be.

Hi, I'm by no means a Stanton pessimistic/doomonger, far from it, I always look for solutions.

Just relaying the hotel's view, after all they have a feel for their nation's politics, I as a Brit in the UK don't.

I'm at a stick or twist dilemma with the booking.

Tempted to make a free cancellation booking with a hotel in another ski nation, as a reserve.
snow report
@BobinCH, In Mrs WoC case they said it was the border between CH and FR was closed.
I know this is BS, because on hearing that she would have to fly to Lyon I went to GVA airport from France (crossing on the main the lake road) to go and get her car out of the airport car park.
Not only was the border very much NOT closed, it was also completely un-staffed in both directions.
Problem is the gate staff hold all the power - Quote from yesterday
Gate Staff : "Am I going to have to call security ?"
Swiss Passenger : "Yes, absolutely".
I don't know how different it was on other carriers, but calling upon security to maintain your completely wrong position, rather than taking time to establish the facts seems to fly in the face of customer service - which should be their motto.
latest report
The airlines are stuck in the middle of this...

The Swiss changed the rules late on the weekend with partial rules that weren't clear (a significant chunk of which appear to be via twitter... A great idea - lets give complex updates on travel restrictions via a communications channel allowing 140 characters total and then have limited availability to for people to ask for clarifications...)

If the airline carry you and entry is denied, they have liability to return you to country of origin (and IIRC this can be a case of being put on the next available flight by border control at their expense... Yes they can then pursue you for this, but while refusing flights is bad, returning a family of 4 inc children to two different airports (neither original airport) on 4 different flights looks even better in the press and is way more expensive than the limits on compensation if they refuse boarding incorrectly (and are even held liable given confusing information).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go and have a look at Morzine Source posts on Insta or Facebook - interesting update provided directly from GVA airport.
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Go and have a look at Morzine Source posts on Insta or Facebook - interesting update provided directly from GVA airport.

Some hope at last!
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:

the facebook post

"..We’ve a small but potentially encouraging travel update for you this morning.
Our ‘man at the airport’ reports that Swiss border police have reinterpreted the rules re landing at Geneva Airport and travelling to to France in a meeting this morning. It’s now possible to land and travel into France with a ‘droit d’établissement’ - proof of French residency for example, second home ownership potentially (untested but Eh oh! ) or a work contract (some encouraging movement on this for season workers, some less encouraging reports also). This update isn’t currently published on any official websites, just to note.
This rule change is slight progress on where we were last night, and it indicates that a change to the regs for tourists may be possible in the coming days. It certainly feels like there’s a tonne of political and administrative stuff at play and an equal amount of opinion.."
snow report
That might be progress. Possibly trickier to negotiate this when you're returning to Switzerland after only seven days in France.
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
@BobinCH, In Mrs WoC case they said it was the border between CH and FR was closed.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

That’s just incompetence. I mean there are thousands of frontaliers living in France and working in Switzerland who. Ross that border daily. The Geneva hospitals would have no staff if they closed the border
snow report
So basically if I'm going to Avoriaz and skiing into CH, I'll have to quarantine in Les Crozets? NehNeh
latest report
@albob, Thanks for that. A little glimmer of light?
Please keep us updated on developments.

I've reposted this on the Psb thread. Lots of people very interested in even the smallest +ves
latest report
May find out later today according to this…. Eh oh! https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/switzerland-rules-quarantine-ski-geneva-alps-b1966037.html%3famp
snow report
I flew into Switzerland from the UK yesterday, along with friends who were transitting to France. I also saw how others around me got on. Most of the filtering was done at the departure airport by easyJet, who were actually trying to be as lenient as possible within the rules the Swiss had given them (if you are flying to Geneva or Basel, you are flying directly into Swiss territory even if you plan to go to France). If you were a Swiss resident or permit holder then there was no problem, just 10 day quarantine on arrival with no option to have the 7 day test to release (at least according to the canton helpline I called and waited an hour to speak to). The people being allowed to board who wanted to go to France appeared to be EU passport or ID card holders, permit or visa holders (CdS but also lesser visas). Basically if you are a tourist heading from the UK to Switzerland or France via Switzerland you won't be able to board. I saw a UK passport holder turned away with only a hotel booking in France for instance. The rules the Swiss put on their website Saturday night were full of ambiguities such as 'everyone entering Switzerland has to quarantine even if you are just transitting' but then it also said 'if you want to leave Switzerland before the end of the quarantine period, you can do so'. Also it mentioned that 'a test' was required, but not whether it should be PCR or Lateral Flow etc (Lateral Flow seemed to be ok). On the Swiss side they checked the covid pass, passport and residence permit but not the covid test and provided no information about the new quarantine rules. Omicron has now been found in Switzerland and no doubt the new variant will be everywhere in and around the neighbouring countries soon, which will make the new border controls with the UK look a bit out of place.

Things will hopefully be clarified today.

There is a press conference by the Swiss today at 15.30 Swiss time
http://youtube.com/v/Fu1ESh0aiZw
ski holidays
Cantal wrote:
I flew into Switzerland from the UK yesterday, along with friends who were transitting to France. I also saw how others around me got on. Most of the filtering was done at the departure airport by easyJet, who were actually trying to be as lenient as possible within the rules the Swiss had given them (if you are flying to Geneva or Basel, you are flying directly into Swiss territory even if you plan to go to France). If you were a Swiss resident or permit holder then there was no problem, just 10 day quarantine on arrival with no option to have the 7 day test to release (at least according to the canton helpline I called and waited an hour to speak to). The people being allowed to board who wanted to go to France appeared to be EU passport or ID card holders, permit or visa holders (CdS but also lesser visas). Basically if you are a tourist heading from the UK to Switzerland or France via Switzerland you won't be able to board. I saw a UK passport holder turned away with only a hotel booking in France for instance. The rules the Swiss put on their website Saturday night were full of ambiguities such as 'everyone entering Switzerland has to quarantine even if you are just transitting' but then it also said 'if you want to leave Switzerland before the end of the quarantine period, you can do so'. Also it mentioned that 'a test' was required, but not whether it should be PCR or Lateral Flow etc (Lateral Flow seemed to be ok). On the Swiss side they checked the covid pass, passport and residence permit but not the covid test and provided no information about the new quarantine rules. Omicron has now been found in Switzerland and no doubt the new variant will be everywhere in and around the neighbouring countries soon, which will make the new border controls with the UK look a bit out of place.

Things will hopefully be clarified today.

There is a press conference by the Swiss today at 15.30 Swiss time
http://youtube.com/v/Fu1ESh0aiZw

It's just started...Hopefully someone can provide a translated update for us.
latest report
Some friends are just waiting to board their flight to GVA with the assurance from BA they can transit back home to France without issue, I'll update later........
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Some friends are just waiting to board their flight to GVA with the assurance from BA they can transit back home to France without issue, I'll update later........

I think the key there is "back home". If they can prove French residency, that puts them in a different category from mere UK tourists.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy