Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss quarantine for UK travellers

Poster: A snowHead
Swiss ban Brits due to new variant. 10 days quarantine for us now.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bu**er. Due to fly into geneva on the 18th and a few days booked in les crosets. Will they lift that at some point in the next 3 weeks?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is already being discussed here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154665&start=880
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As it stands, the FOPH source announcement only refers to flight arrivals. So you can still drive, train, ferry or even walk across the border (as far as the announcement goes, anyway). Probably little consolation if you've got a flight booked, of course. So sympathies there. As mentioned, there are already three other threads discussing this in depth.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What is more concerning is that the rest of Europe may follow this restriction.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, I suppose that the nature of the concern depends on whether you regard it as a pointless, incomprehensible and inconsistent attack of panic, or a laudably rapid response informed by past experience ....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Time will tell
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
U.K. tourists not allowed at all.

Only the following passengers are allowed to board direct flights from the United Kingdom to Switzerland:

Nationals of Switzerland and EEA members states and their families
Residents of Switzerland and Liechtenstein
Residents of Schengen Member states, returning to their country of residence
Holders of a Visa Type D for Switzerland
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
telford_mike wrote:

Only the following passengers are allowed to board direct flights from the United Kingdom to Switzerland:

Does family include parents?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The optimist says this decision is to protect the winter season but the realist in me says Europe will be a no go for most UK holiday makers for a while. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

Does family include parents?

Good question. The quote is from an email that Swiss(air) have just sent out to passengers travelling imminently. Hopefully the info from SEM / FOPH will be clearer.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Absolute nightmare. The French will probably follow the Swiss but even if they do not it creates havoc for ski trips to France and Switzerland. Timing could not be worse with the PSB scheduled next Saturday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CurtisP wrote:
Absolute nightmare. The French will probably follow the Swiss but even if they do not it creates havoc for ski trips to France and Switzerland. Timing could not be worse with the PSB scheduled next Saturday.

Announced 6 days after we've bought 2 season passes FFS! Absolute disaster! Sad Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:

Seems incorrect.
From Swiss' site:

Arriving from SOUTH AFRICA, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia and Zimbabwe:

Only the following travelers are allowed to board direct flights to Switzerland:

Nationals and Residents of Switzerland and Liechtenstein
Holders of a Certificate of Entry (Laisser-Passer) issued by a Swiss Representation abroad
:

From same site, travellers from UK cannot enter Switzerland unless they are Swiss Nationals/residents etc, so transitting passengers should be OK, ie onward travel or exiting to France.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nevis1003 wrote:
Time will tell

This exactly...

Either this week be a short term measure (reversed in time for ski season) or it will be longer term requirement which is replicated by Austria, France and Italy and winter 22 is cancelled for tourists.

Due to fly into Geneve in Jan 22. (4th time we rebooked same trip since covid!). However now looks 50:50 if it will happen.
ski holidays
was due to fly LGW to GVA on the 18th of December with EasyJet, staying in Les Menuires.
with all the confusion regarding transiting through Switzerland, I am looking to transfer to the LGW to Grenoble flight similar time that day, I have a flexible transfer with bensbus, so can change this also.

just waiting for squeezy customer services to open, as I can easily change the flight with a supplement of £57, but cannot see if the "up front" seat that I paid for transfers as well, as when i tried to change earlier the seat allocated to me would have been a standard seat without the large cabin bag allowance!!

obviously, it could all still go belly up, but I will need to claim on my travel insurance if that is the case, as my accommodation is non refundable now!!
ski holidays
Presume this will change in a few days when the Swiss find they have cases. Odd Germany are not on the list they have confirmed cases and transit through daily.
latest report
Sadly the Swiss site is merely behind the Swiss government update from 20:00 yesterday which aded the UK to their red list:

Countries* with a worrying variant:
Belgium
Botswana
Czech Republic
Egypt
Eswatini
Hong Kong
Israel
Lesotho
Malawi
Mozambique
Namibia
Netherlands
South Africa
United Kingdom
Zimbabwe

"Tightening of entry rules: quarantine for arrivals
Since 8pm on 26.11.2021, various countries have been on the list of countries with a variant of concern. Anyone entering Switzerland from these countries must present a negative test result and quarantine for 10 days. This also applies to vaccinated and recovered persons.

Only people who are Swiss nationals or hold a residence permit for Switzerland or a country in the Schengen area can enter Switzerland from these countries."
snow report
Bit of an issue for some friends who are flying from UK to GVA on Monday to return here in France, no clarification yet how they transit to France at GVA.....
ski holidays
this is a bit sh*t. for no good reason. idiots.
ski holidays
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/faq-einreiseverweigerung.html#1668147653

I’m confused.. this seems to say transit passengers can continue on (ie when flying via Geneva to France)
snow conditions
It currently appears that transit is allowed - but this may merely be the various websites taking time to be updated after the Swiss announcement at 20:00 on a Saturday night. The French sector of Geneva airport is considered to be French territory, but according to the Geneva airport website it is a) closed and b) not considered to be French regarding Covid-19 rules (https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers/Questions-Reponses-FAQ/secteur-france#ebd564b3-e376-427c-8a0f-fb58fe106fb4). Give it a few days to update and then see what the impact of the Swiss referendum on covid restrictions is!
snow report
Do people think we can drive to Switzerland?
snow conditions
Lynsbrew wrote:
Do people think we can drive to Switzerland?

Good question. Was due to fly to CH in time for xmas…but more than happy to drive to make it work…
ski holidays
No
snow report
well, just spoken to Easyjet and managed to change the flight from GVA to Grenoble, same date and similar time. cost me £57 supplement for fare difference.
but he re-booked my seat choice for free, as there did not seem to be an option online to carry the premium seat that I paid for on the GVA flight over to the new one.

i may have have "shot my bolt" a bit early, but there is too much confusion at the moment, at least i will only have one country to deal with at the moment, outbound anyway,though i am due to return to LHR via GVA, but so far this seems permissible!!
snow report
They appear to have changed the wording already to "Anyone entering Switzerland from these countries must present a negative test result and quarantine for 10 days" (i.e. irrespective of the mode of transport).

The more worrying part is the second part of the headline "Only people who are Swiss nationals or hold a residence permit for Switzerland or a country in the Schengen area can enter Switzerland from these countries". This would mean that we couldn't even get into Switzerland in order to quarantine!
snow conditions
@Bergmeister, should be refundable til first use. Our 3V ones are.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What about Ireland? I’m due to be in Ireland anyway and could extend and fly direct from Dublin? I can’t see any specific details about being in UK 14days before travel etc?
ski holidays
With an Irish passport you may be ok (as a Schengen resident) - but from memory, the Swiss entry form asks you to list any countries you have been in in the last few weeks anyway.
snow report
oui4ski wrote:
With an Irish passport you may be ok (as a Schengen resident) - but from memory, the Swiss entry form asks you to list any countries you have been in in the last few weeks anyway.
TY, I thought that would be the case
snow conditions
It seems we are on the list because we are very good at identifying variants. Better than Germany, France or Switzerland. These countries will already have the variant. Unless they close all road borders, it’s totally meaningless. Macron in election mode will jump on board for sure, he puts on a good impression of hating the UK.
snow conditions
"it’s totally meaningless. "

this.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

this.

Emerging clinical evidence is that the όμικρον variant is much more transmissible but symptoms are much less severe - akin to a bad cold. Seemingly a typical lifecycle and trajectory of a dying virus.
snow conditions
Transiting appears to be not allowed now. Which makes sense, no point in having a ban if thousands of people are transiting through your airport.
snow report
@nevis1003, But not if 10 widebodies arrived at Zurich from South Africa in the last week. This horse has bolted, Omicron is in Switzerland.

They would be better off aiming for increased vaccination.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

this.

Its goof that someone with an Irish passport leaving Edinburgh and arriving in GVA will be deemed fine, but I wont - utterly baffling !
latest report
@GreenDay, no they won’t, they need a Schengen area passport. Ireland is not in Schengen.
snow report
Quote:

utterly baffling

'sbrexit, innit?
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@GreenDay, no they won’t, they need a Schengen area passport. Ireland is not in Schengen.

Ah, sorry - so my French neighbour could go, but not me.

Cheers

Although, still a baffling decision on any rational health grounds.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy