Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss quarantine for UK travellers

Poster: A snowHead
BobinCH wrote:
Non vaccinated no longer permitted to enter

Bob, does this include children?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BobinCH wrote:
No more quarantine on entry to Switzerland from Saturday just announced by Alain Berset

Thank you for this, and for beating every media outlet I’ve checked, still no news there.

Now waiting for our Swiss hotel to confirm.

We have no problems or whinges about testing, we’ve travelled on non-skiing holidays in the last 18 months and the additional hurdles/cost were worth it.

A personal thing of course, but the cost of a few PCR tests to us is not material compared the grand total cost of skiing at New Year in a nice hotel.

Plus PCR testing hopefully keep fellow passengers, guests and populaces safer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On Blick.ch
It will be more expensive for tourists
The Federal Council has decided to abolish the quarantine list for the Omikron countries. Instead, travelers - regardless of where they come from - have to be tested before entering the country. A PCR test is required. The test must be repeated after four to seven days, but it can also be an antigen test. Those affected have to bear the test costs themselves. The next few days will show whether this also applies to the Swiss. Because the National Council has already called for free tests again. If the Council of States agrees, the Federal Council will not be able to oppose it.

Exceptions apply to border regions from neighboring countries.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snow&skifan, it’s a fact - quarantine scrapped.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anything on transit arrangements, in terms of test requirements?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@alski19, is that definite that the entry test must be PCR? The report I’m following says PCR or antigen in two different places! How would they expect someone to get a PCR test for entry tomorrow??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andy from embsay, must be PCR for entry.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy from embsay wrote:
@alski19, is that definite that the entry test must be PCR? The report I’m following says PCR or antigen in two different places! How would they expect someone to get a PCR test for entry tomorrow??

sorry, no idea. I was watching on blick.ch and just copied and pasted what they posted. I guess it'll all be clear soon, but as you say no good if it's a PCR and travel is tomorrow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
telford_mike wrote:
@andy from embsay, must be PCR for entry.

That’s bonkers - there’ll be people travelling tomorrow who have no chance of getting a test.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's a newspaper rather than a government website but ...

https://www.lenouvelliste.ch/suisse/coronavirus-et-variant-omicron-fin-de-la-quarantaine-durgence-mais-tests-obligatoires-pour-entrer-en-suisse-1134912

"In addition to a PCR test before entering Switzerland, a second (PCR or antigen) must be performed between the fourth and seventh day after entering Switzerland. This involves spotting infected people just before leaving or during their trip. The costs are the responsibility of the persons concerned.

Unvaccinated third-country nationals who wish to enter Switzerland from a Schengen area country for non-gainful stays of up to 90 days within a period of 180 days will be refused entry. This concerns tourist stays and visits. There are exceptions. Countries and regions at risk appear on a constantly updated list."
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah - press release here https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/das-bag/aktuell/medienmitteilungen.msg-id-86260.html confirming the above

"Entry into Switzerland: Quarantine rule lifted, stricter testing requirement
At its meeting, the Federal Council also amended the rules on entry. With effect from Saturday, 4 December, there will be no countries on the quarantine list.

In order to continue to prevent the new Omicron variant from entering the country as far as possible, a stricter testing regime will now apply for all arrivals into Switzerland. This testing requirement also applies to those who have been vaccinated or have recovered from the disease. In addition to taking a PCR test before travelling, a second test (PCR test or rapid antigen test) must be carried out between the fourth and seventh day after arrival. This test ensures that infected persons who have contracted the virus shortly before or during travel are detected.
Test costs must be borne by the traveller.

Non-vaccinated third-country nationals wishing to enter the Schengen area from countries or regions at risk will be refused entry to Switzerland for short-term stays without gainful employment of up to 90 days within a period of 180 days - apart from certain exceptions (hardship cases). This primarily affects tourism and social visits. The list of high-risk countries and regions is set out in Annex 1 of COVID-19 Ordinance 3. It is updated on an ongoing basis, taking into account the recommendations for the Schengen states issued by the European Commission."

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 3-12-21 14:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dravot wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Non vaccinated no longer permitted to enter

Bob, does this include children?

I doubt it but there was no info/question on that in the press conference
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@oui4ski, blimey. That’s loopy - another weekend of chaos.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy from embsay, yup - I think that it may be worth waiting until the various websites align if you can!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Swiss seem to quite like changing the rules just before a weekend!
ski holidays
Does anyone know what rules apply to people who arrive/have arrived before tomorrow? Will they still have to quarantine?
latest report
oui4ski wrote:
@andy from embsay, yup - I think that it may be worth waiting until the various websites align if you can!

We’re going next Thursday so time for the dust to clear and get whatever tests we need.
latest report
We all go tomorrow for the PSB. What are we meant to do now
snow conditions
red wrote:
We all go tomorrow for the PSB. What are we meant to do now

Oh lordy - that’s a stinker. Someone best get on the phone to Swiss gov dept? They were quite helpful last weekend apparently.
snow report
@andy from embsay, Enjoy - the snow looks great! I was just getting depressed seeing the pictures of @BobinCH skiing above Montreux when we could not justify quarantine, but now the world seems a brighter place and I'm happy that we didn't cancel flights or trains for a few days after you.
latest report
Slightly odd that this hasn't been picked up by any media outlets yet aside from Swiss and French...
snow report
Run28 wrote:
Slightly odd that this hasn't been picked up by any media outlets yet aside from Swiss and French...

agreed but I guess it doesn't affect 99.99% of UK population
ski holidays
Dravot wrote:
Run28 wrote:

agreed but I guess it doesn't affect 99.99% of UK population

Usually Telegraph Travel and Independent Travel sections are all over this considering the effect on UK travel businesses. Great news non the less - common sense is prevailing.
ski holidays
It’s in the Guardian now as breaking news - but focussing on the other restrictions being tightened
latest report
This is helpful: https://www.newsd.admin.ch/newsd/message/attachments/69393.pdf
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:

Thank you - very helpful
snow conditions
Looks like the Swiss have lifted the 10 day quarantine from what this says, or am I mis-informed ...
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/switzerland-confirms-new-restrictions-to-combat-omicron-variant/47163628
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
Thanks.

If travelling to Switzerland by means other than plane, such as driving to GVA from France for the flight home, spot checks will be carried out at the border to ensure with compliance with the PCR requirement to enter Switzerland. So I think this means:

PCR test to fly to GVA, which also covers your entrance to France if transiting directly.
PCR test at the end of your holidays so you can return to GVA to fly home.
PCR test by Day 2 when you get back to the UK.

And that’s ignoring what you might need to do during your holiday if you have kids over age 12 who have not had the opportunity to get a 2nd dose.

That’s a lot of swabbing…
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:
Thanks.

If travelling to Switzerland by means other than plane, such as driving to GVA from France for the flight home, spot checks will be carried out at the border to ensure with compliance with the PCR requirement to enter Switzerland. So I think this means:

PCR test to fly to GVA, which also covers your entrance to France if transiting directly.
PCR test at the end of your holidays so you can return to GVA to fly home.
PCR test by Day 2 when you get back to the UK.

And that’s ignoring what you might need to do during your holiday if you have kids over age 12 who have not had the opportunity to get a 2nd dose.

That’s a lot of swabbing…

Travellers from border regions are exempt I think, so that includes Rhone Alpes.

ski holidays
Getting a PCR test in UK beforehand is not too bad. Getting a PCR test in Switzerland for a decent price is going to be tricky. For complicated reasons I needed to get one done in August and it cost me CHF150! (admittedly I didn’t have time to shop around).

I wonder about taking a home test from UK out and then sending it back to UK for testing while out there. Might actually end up cheaper.

I need to find a Swiss home test provider I think.
snow report
JohnMo wrote:
Getting a PCR test in UK beforehand is not too bad. Getting a PCR test in Switzerland for a decent price is going to be tricky. For complicated reasons I needed to get one done in August and it cost me CHF150! (admittedly I didn’t have time to shop around).

I wonder about taking a home test from UK out and then sending it back to UK for testing while out there. Might actually end up cheaper.

Why do you need a PCR test in CH? The second (day 4-7) one can be antigen?
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
Travellers from border regions are exempt I think, so that includes Rhone Alpes.
I saw that but thought it might be for commuters who cross the border for work? Good news if it applies to everyone travelling from that region to Switzerland.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

Why do you need a PCR test in CH? The second (day 4-7) one can be antigen?

Ah yes! I read that (having first understanding that it had to be PCR. But then I forgot about it!
latest report
PCR within 72hrs of arrival according to this: https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/united-kingdom/en/home/representations/embassy-in-london/coronavirus.html
snow conditions
Clutching at straws here.
Does
this mean I am exempt if driving into CH at the Vallorbe border, Having left the UK that morning??
latest report
martinperry wrote:
Clutching at straws here.
Does
this mean I am exempt if driving into CH at the Vallorbe border, Having left the UK that morning??

No, the entry form asks you where you’ve been for the last 10 days so if they check you’d be expected to have a PCR.
snow conditions
Didnt think so!!
Worth a try though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm driving to France for Christmas. My daughter, husband and 19 month old fly to GVA. Can I drive from France to GVA to collect them, and drop them off back at GVA 11 days later? Anyone?
snow conditions
Does anyone know if single vaccinated 13 year old will need to do daily antigen test to get Passe Sanitaire for CH? We had riginally booked in Zermatt, rescheduled to Les Deux Alpes because fo teh quarantine but not trying to get our original Zermatt hotel booking back!! Thank you.
ski holidays
lizann wrote:
Does anyone know what rules apply to people who arrive/have arrived before tomorrow? Will they still have to quarantine?

I’m on some Swiss Covid Facebook pages and some members have received emails that they can leave quarantine, others haven’t yet and have called their canton who seem to be none the wiser at the moment. So probably good news but ‘to be confirmed’

EDIT: confirmed that can leave quarantine but need to do a test between days 4-7

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 3-12-21 17:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy