Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking teenagers skiing this winter?

Poster: A snowHead
@Shardoski.
ASFAIK, get an online antigen test that sends you a QR code, and you are good to go.
Also works for a pass sanitaire for France as far as I can see.
Happy to be corrected on this if I'm not wrong, BTW.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DP
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thick As wrote:
@Shardoski.
ASFAIK, get an online antigen test that sends you a QR code, and you are good to go.

The one we tried (c19testing.co.uk) did not work.

Yes they produce a QR code .

Not recognised by Italian app.

I contacted c19testing and they confirmed their tests are not accredited under EU travel pass system.

OK only for fit to fly proof...

I would be interested if anyone has done a test like this and had them approved though ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sheffskibod wrote:
Thick As wrote:
@Shardoski.

The one we tried (c19testing.co.uk) did not work.

Yes they produce a QR code .

Not recognised by Italian app.

I contacted c19testing and they confirmed their tests are not accredited under EU travel pass system.

OK only for fit to fly proof...

I would be interested if anyone has done a test like this and had them approved though ?

Thanks for that. Indeed would be interesting if anyone has had success with that method. If not, back to the drawing board... Plan J?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rolling eyes
DP again..
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chris_n
Will that still be applicable if the unvaccd are still in lockdown after the national one has ended? He had covid in oct so within timescales but depends on getting proof which he cant get from NHS app as under 16, and on rules over there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@shardoski, Yes that will still apply. If you get your doctor to fill in the form at https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/Dokumente/Bundesnormen/NOR40234210/II_222_2021_Anlage_4.pdf

That is an Austrian Government form that is acceptable as proof of infection.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Recent visit to France we used dochq, tests came with QR code and they told us would be accepted, but in fact the TAC app would not accept it and it could not be read by anyone in France. HOWEVER, we had a copy of the tests results in PDF on our phones and all the restaurants we went to accepted them quite happily. That said, when we ski this year I am just going to take 13yr old to the pharmacy in the village and do the tests there (probably cheaper than the UK ones) as will know for sure they will def get accepted.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
So as of today I have two double jabbed teenagers under 16… do we think Italy will accept a letter from the GP as we can’t get the QR code?

As we discuss in this week's podcast, I have friends who went to Rome at half term and simply showed an email showing confirmation of their 14 year-olds vaccination appointment:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7984234-83-the-ski-goddess-women-s-skis-perfect-turns-with-graham-bell (about 10 mins in, I think)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So I have had a reply from my MP's PA, she has had a reply from the Vaccine Minister Maggie Throup.

The letter says " we recognise....there is a growing requirement from other countries for children to demonstrate their vaccine status. We are exploring ways to allow fully vaccinated children aged 12 and over to demonstrate their vaccination status for the purposes of international travel."

She also says they are looking to include proof of recovery as an element of certification, including for children who have only had one vaccine dose.

I have gone back to the MP asking about timescales- even if they could say it was either likely or not likely before the Christmas holidays, would help if anyone has a deadline to cancel...

Am sort of pleased the Govt seem to recognise the issue exists, but not holding my breath that anything will get sorted out soon.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Joyceycat, thanks for the update, sounds vaguely promising…
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So what they are really saying is "try and get your youngster to catch Covid so they can prove immunity status" sounds about right for this government.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Joyceycat wrote:
So I have had a reply from my MP's PA, she has had a reply from the Vaccine Minister Maggie Throup.

The letter says " we recognise....there is a growing requirement from other countries for children to demonstrate their vaccine status. We are exploring ways to allow fully vaccinated children aged 12 and over to demonstrate their vaccination status for the purposes of international travel."

She also says they are looking to include proof of recovery as an element of certification, including for children who have only had one vaccine dose.

I have gone back to the MP asking about timescales- even if they could say it was either likely or not likely before the Christmas holidays, would help if anyone has a deadline to cancel...

Am sort of pleased the Govt seem to recognise the issue exists, but not holding my breath that anything will get sorted out soon.

That’s my situation at the moment, my 13 year old has had Covid and then had the vaccine a few weeks ago, It looks like Switzerland is possible but at a ridiculous price or Austria if they reopen and we can get something called a recovery letter which I haven’t looked into yet.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gad, https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/Dokumente/Bundesnormen/NOR40234210/II_222_2021_Anlage_4.pdf
Government certificate from Austria, get your doctor to fill it in.
latest report
I am sorry if this has already been clarified earlier in the thread, but 15 pages is too much.... I am traveling in December to France from the UK with a 14 year old. She will not have her second dose by then.

Is the expected situation that I will have to take her to a pharmacy every three days for an antigen test?
snow report
@Evasion, I thought I had seen every 3 days for PCR or every 24hrs for antigen
latest report
Chris_n wrote:
@gad, https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/Dokumente/Bundesnormen/NOR40234210/II_222_2021_Anlage_4.pdf
Government certificate from Austria, get your doctor to fill it in.

Thanks, that’s a start, he had Covid on the 30th of September so I’m pretty sure we will alright time wise..
snow report
gad wrote:
....That’s my situation at the moment, my 13 year old has had Covid and then had the vaccine a few weeks ago, It looks like Switzerland is possible but at a ridiculous price or Austria if they reopen and we can get something called a recovery letter which I haven’t looked into yet.

Just booked Andorra for Xmas as the 'easiest' option I could find so I didn't have to jump though too many hoops for my unvaccinated 12yo.... test 24hrs before flight out there to Toulouse and a test 48hrs before going back into France for the return leg seems straightforward enough. So far it's saying teens don't need testing in Andorra through the week.

He's recently come down with a bad cold and we were secretly hoping it was COVID (in a good way of course Toofy Grin ) so at least he could recover and get a jab, but I think with such a short timescale, that's now out of the window. My cunning plan foiled...
snow report
Specialman wrote:
gad wrote:
....That’s my situation at the moment, my 13 year old has had Covid and then had the vaccine a few weeks ago, It looks like Switzerland is possible but at a ridiculous price or Austria if they reopen and we can get something called a recovery letter which I haven’t looked into yet.

Just booked Andorra for Xmas as the 'easiest' option I could find so I didn't have to jump though too many hoops for my unvaccinated 12yo.... test 24hrs before flight out there to Toulouse and a test 48hrs before going back into France for the return leg seems straightforward enough. So far it's saying teens don't need testing in Andorra through the week.

He's recently come down with a bad cold and we were secretly hoping it was COVID (in a good way of course Toofy Grin ) so at least he could recover and get a jab, but I think with such a short timescale, that's now out of the window. My cunning plan foiled...

I had my heart set on Wengen so I could do the schiltorn and the Jungfraujoch as well but the prices have rocketed so I’m just going to sit tight and wherever I can go with the least hassle is where I’ll go Very Happy
ski holidays
gad wrote:
I had my heart set on Wengen so I could do the schiltorn and the Jungfraujoch as well but the prices have rocketed so I’m just going to sit tight and wherever I can go with the least hassle is where I’ll go Very Happy

Fair play, always wanted to visit Wengen, look incredible.
We were dead set on Austria, never been before, but with everything that's kicked off I'd almost given up but the missus was dead set we'd go somewhere for xmas and Arinsal was great last time we went. Maybe not chocolate box looks but hopefully it'll give the kids a great first ski holiday.

Next winter though... I am set on somewhere like Switzerland or Austria, hopefully this winter is the last one with any major disturbances
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
@Evasion, I thought I had seen every 3 days for PCR or every 24hrs for antigen

Is that a pharmacy private LFT & not the ones you can take over?
If so does anyone know what the costs are for the French private LFT & PCR testing
latest report
VdI and Tignes are both saying about Eu25 for an antigen test. Results in 10-30 minutes. There will be a website booking service available and a number to book via.
snow report
@Evasion, every 72 hours for a PCR or antigen (LFT test) according to our government website and I think for the pass sanitaire for those 12 - 16 y/o not fully vaccinated. France requires everyone to have 2 jabs at minimum (+ booster jab for >65 y/o) to qualify as fully vaccinated, whereas here in the UK 12 - 16 y/o only need one jab.

Would dearly love to think that this will be cleared up by Christmas and single jabbed <16 y/o will be qualified as fully vaccinated by the rest of Europe but somehow I don't think this is going to happen...

The Christmas period is really going to be a trial run for the rest of the season (I think?) so be prepared for things to change as they try to chase out any issues, hopefully for a smoother running and complete season.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/coronavirus
snow conditions
France has just reported over 30k cases, and this should put them well over their threshold for introducing PS on ski lifts.

I don't think it will be a big deal. Just get your teenager to a pharmacy every 72 hours and pay 25 EUR:

https://www.sante.fr/cf/centres-depistage-covid.html
ski holidays
All the vaccinations in the world are not going to get you anywhere if you can't show anyone what you have had or if you can't prove you have had covid and recovered.
latest report
Looks like Italy are thinking of bringing in a 'Super Green Pass' which will exclude the unvaccinated from ski-lifts and other leisure facilities such as restaurants etc. Testing only valid for work not leisure if it comes in. It isn't clear how this may affect single jabbed teenagers but not good news for those in this position if it comes in.
latest report
Like "Thick As" says, the vaccinations are of no use if you can't prove that you have been double vaccinated. Even if my teenagers were to get a second dose before we go at Christmas, there is currently no way for them to prove it as they won't get a QR code. They have also had Covid in the past 6 months that was confirmed through a PRC day 2 test, but there is no record of it on their NHS record for some reason. This is all giving me a headache as we are still hoping to go skiing in France at Christmas.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bastathecat wrote:
Looks like Italy are thinking of bringing in a 'Super Green Pass' which will exclude the unvaccinated from ski-lifts and other leisure facilities such as restaurants etc. Testing only valid for work not leisure if it comes in. It isn't clear how this may affect single jabbed teenagers but not good news for those in this position if it comes in.

https://www.thelocal.it/20211122/italian-government-begins-talks-on-covid-super-green-pass/

I guess this would kaibosh our Xmas trip to dolomites... Am asking Crystal if this change would trigger a cancellation / refund . Might as well get my money back this time ... its been tied up now for 18 months...
snow report
HilbertSpace wrote:
I don't think it will be a big deal. Just get your teenager to a pharmacy every 72 hours and pay 25 EUR:

https://www.sante.fr/cf/centres-depistage-covid.html

It's a significant irritation though. My 13 yo was +ve in Oct and come Christmas/NY is no more or less likely to catch it and/or transmit it than my wife or I, or anyone else fully vaxxed.
(I caught it just 4 months after my second jab).

So it begs the question why on holiday have I got to go trawling around websites to find pharmacies to plan our ski days around getting to said pharmacies to get a swab rammed up his nose repeatedly, when he technically (according to the rules) he doesn't need testing, but for lack of a QR code.

Of course, that's just the way it is, so if we want to go we just have to suck it up and do it, despite it being entirely futile, a waste of money, a waste of time and a waste of materials and packaging.

Also the cheaper EUR 25 (I thought I read it was EUR 29) antigen tests only give you 48hrs. You need a PCR (which I think I read were EUR 49) if you want 72 hours. So we drive in on Sunday off the back of the 24 hour travel test taken Saturday. He needs an antigen test Monday, Weds, Fri, and Sunday (we ski last day day drive half way home, overnight and home Monday). 5 tests (plus a sixth including the day 2 on return).
6 tests for an 8 night trip and non of them are really necessary for a recently recovered child. What a farce.

Also tell me this - a 13 year old with 1 jab is quite obviously at significant less risk of catching/transmitting than an 11 year old with no jabs (the majority of the protection I understand comes from the first jab, the second only increases protection slightly). Yet the rules require the 12 year old to comply with 48/72 hr testing yet the 11 year old doesn't.
latest report
@Gazzza, I feel your pain.

Sadly we only have our government and its "world-beating app" to blame. The recent addition of the booster to the NHS app shows quite clearly they have the ability but little interest to fix this issue for our teenagers (probably until mass travel to the sun picks up next summer). Our (collective) fault for electing a populist government I guess
snow conditions
I’m still hoping to prove my children’s double vaccinated status without a QR code. Letter from GP and/or they show in the NHS app, surely that should be sufficient?
latest report
@Tiefschneetaucher, I would have thought every country would have a backup system that doesn't require people to display / produce their own QR codes as not everyone has the technology / skills to do so. I am well aware of the Austrian system that allows certification preferably but not exclusively on their provided documents in either English or German. I have seen no one referencing or guiding anyone on any of the other countries requirements other than talking about Apps.
snow conditions
@Gazzza, We're in a similar boat- our 15 year old just recovered from Covid and has had one vaccine dose. No help from 119 or eurotunnel-(advice on entering France) we're concerned that he might not pass a Covid test to even enter France in three ish weeks time or be able to get a pass sanitaire (can test positive up to 90 days particularly on a pcr)- Got our GP to print off on headed paper his vaccine dose and positive test result but not sure who would accept these- just need a QR code. Have written to Our MP twice but unsurprisingly (he's now Matt Hancock) not even had an acknowledgement.
ski holidays
@Pierresel, entering and while in France your teenager can use antigen tests and not need a PCR at all, these are highly unlikely to continue to be positive.
Our teenager had covid in October and we had to reschedule our (non skiing) holiday - it's PCR only and if I had an antigen option I would definitely taking be it instead.
snow report
Just come back from skiing in the fridge with the family (inset day well spent) to a fairly positive response from my MP with a copy of a letter he has had from the DoH after enquiring on my behalf.

It looks as though enough people have badgered and they are looking at showing recovery plus one jab on a covid pass for under 15s.

I will type out the letter in full when I get a chance later.

As an aside, my 16 YO girls, who have skied every year since age seven (apart from this year) looked like they have just come back from a week in the alps. No rustiness at all. On the flip side my 13 YO boy, skied every year since he was 5 (apart from this year) and has grown over a foot since skiing in 2020 had all but forgotten how to ski! He was almost back up to speed after 2 hours, but still not quite. Well worth going to blow the cobwebs off if anyone else is in the same situation.
snow report
That is a positive step forward@Timmycb5, now if I can just get the boy to lick the door handles at school, we should be good for the season.
In all seriousness, I don't care what they say, the only reason 12-15 year old's are not being offered a second jab is down to supply issues, be it vaccine or people to administer it.
snow report
I would say Finland is the hassle free option.
If your kid is born after 2006 they don’t need to be vaccinated to travel to Finland. Age 16-17 needs one jab but no test.

What comes to the ski resorts, Ruka and Pyha have a test center that is free for the tourist and it takes around ~30min to get the results if need.

If you need to take gondola, you need to cover your face if you are not with your own group.
Restaurants and Bars wants to see the pass, but other than that you don't need to show it.
snow report
Switzerland is the easiest - u16s currently don't need anything if travelling with adults.
ski holidays
ster wrote:
Switzerland is the easiest - u16s currently don't need anything if travelling with adults.

How is that any different with Finland and lets say Andorra?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy