Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking teenagers skiing this winter?

Poster: A snowHead
ster wrote:
@Klamm Franzer, it doesn’t seem an unreasonable reply or approach in this regard.

Although, it doesn't actually say anything!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
ster wrote:
@Klamm Franzer, it doesn’t seem an unreasonable reply or approach in this regard.

Although, it doesn't actually say anything!

I don’t know about that. It mentions a second dose for younger teenagers in the offing but perhaps a way off. I wasnt sure if they were even considering that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ster, I can't really see how it would not be being considered!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timmycb5 wrote:
I don’t know why this has only just occurred to me, but…… if the pass sanitaire is required for the train in France, how will that work? The test to get on the train at St Pancras won’t work for the pass sanitaire but that I’m guessing is OK, but it will be needed for the TGV part. Where in the utter feck am I supposed to get a test between trains?

The test needs to be within 72 hours for the pass Sanitaire in France I think. Therefore the test you got for leaving the uk would do for entry into France and the first few days of your holiday.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowymum, that’s what I had hoped but apparently the TAC app doesn’t recognise U.K. negative test QR codes!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, well I guess next time we’ll have to ask you rather than an MP as to what might be considered with your prescience?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ster, if the protocol is for 2 jabs, then 1 is leaving the recipient a bit short isn't it.

(Not mentioning, of course, that it directly conflicts with the uk govs sub-herd immunity strategy) ...

France now considering jabbing younger kids.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timmycb5 wrote:
@snowymum, that’s what I had hoped but apparently the TAC app doesn’t recognise U.K. negative test QR codes!

My reading is you don't need the TAC app. According to https://uk.ambafrance.org/Health-pass-and-vaccination-in-the-UK it states:

Quote:
The “health pass” consists of the presentation of one of the following three forms of medical proof in digital (via the TousAntiCovid app) or paper format:

1. Vaccination, on condition that people have completed a full course of vaccination and left the necessary period of time after the final injection, i.e.:

- 7 days after the second injection for double-dose vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca).

- 28 days after the injection for single-dose vaccines (Johnson & Johnson)

- 7 days after the injection for vaccines for people who have previously had COVID-19 (only one dose).

2. Certificate showing a negative test taken less than 72 hours ago

3. A positive RT-PCR or antigen test result showing recovery from COVID-19, dated at least 11 days old and less than six months old.

So if you have 1, 2 or 3, if you can either present it in paper form, OR in digital form (in the later case you need TAC).

Am I misunderstanding something here, but the 'health pass' is not a physical pass, it's either paper presentation or TAC presentation of one of the three forms of evidence. Thus we can use hard copy and avoid the faff with TAC altogether (which in the case of 12-16 year olds seems impossible anyway due to a. the UK 1 jab issue and b. that UK won't issue NHS certificates to under 16s for some moronic reason) ?

My 13 y.o, recently had COVID so my reading is a hard copy of his positive PCR result will suffice as the Health pass for the next circa 6 months. Likewise I read that a printed copy of a negative test less than 72 hours hold would also suffice.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gazzza, from what I understand, venues/trains etc validate your “pass sanitaire” in what ever form it comes in (App, paper, etc) by using the Tous Anti Covid Verif app. If the QR codes produced by U.K. tests aren’t recognised, then it won’t be accepted.

My 13yo also tested positive a couple of weeks ago. All I have is an email and a text. That definitely won’t be accepted. Were you the chap that got a private test? If so, you could try inputting it to the Tous Anti Covid Verif app (different from Tous Anti Covid app) to see if it works
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No, that wasn't me. I still read it that the TAC app is just one option for presenting your 'pass sanitaire' which is not actually a pass in itself but is just a designated status if you can provide one proof of your covid status one of the three evidence types required, and that proof can be a paper copy.
Another intersting article here: https://www.connexionfrance.com/Practical/Your-Questions/France-s-Covid-pass-sanitaire-is-not-a-document-so-how-do-I-get-it

I think people these days naturally jump to the must-use-the-app mindset, and once uploaded I guess that makes life easier as it has a scanable QR code, but everything I've read still says you can present your evidence in either paper or digital (TAC app) form.

Would love to hear from someone who has actually been recently and can confirm.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gazzza, in that article you shared it says “All tests issued in France now will have a QR code on it that is compatible with the EU verification system”.

The verification system in France is the Tous Anti Covid Verif app (not to be confused with Tous Anti Covid app which you can download yourself to have as a handy way of showing your status on your app).

And that’s the problem. Apparently the QR codes on a U.K. issued test are NOT compatible with TAC Verif.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also, out of interest, what letter did you get for your son? I just got an email/text.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with what @Timmycb5
says. I went in the summer and they all used TAC Verif to check the QR codes. That’s why there was such a scramble to get the TAC verif app to recognise NHS vaccination QR codes. Would love it if us joining the EU pass (announced but since gone very quiet) would mean positive tests also worked but am just watching and hoping. I think a second dose is more likely to be honest!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gazzza, yep, I have a variety of ways of printing out my EU passport, which carries the same (or equivalent) QR code as on the TAC app.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@ster, if the protocol is for 2 jabs, then 1 is leaving the recipient a bit short isn't it.

(Not mentioning, of course, that it directly conflicts with the uk govs sub-herd immunity strategy) ...

Err, no, its not for that age , its one vaccination. The second being currently thought to be outweighed by the risks not outweighing the benefits. So the current protocol is one.

Not sure how being vaccinated or not comes into herd immunity, surely this is to do with getting infected then having resistance based on actual infection.

It doesnt matter what France is doing or not doing.
snow conditions
ster wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Err, no, its not for that age , its one vaccination. The second being currently thought to be outweighed by the risks not outweighing the benefits. So the current protocol is one.

Surely regardless of what the UK government thinks the vaccine is approved as a two dose strategy so therefore one dose is not to protocol.
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Also, out of interest, what letter did you get for your son? I just got an email/text.

Just the standard positive PCR result email you get from the NHS when you test positive.

Just found this French gov guide to Pass Sanitaire (in French): https://www.gouvernement.fr/sites/default/files/document/document/2021/08/dossier_de_presse_-_pass_sanitaire_pour_rester_ensemble_face_au_virus_-_08.08.2021.pdf

It does confirm you can use paper copy and don't need the app, unfortunately it also seems that the negative pcr <72> 11 days but < 6 months, do both require a QR code even if in paper format Sad That scuppers my plan.

Back to the drawing board. It seems the French don't want families with teenagers spending their ski cash there this his season.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 20-10-21 10:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Gazzza wrote:

Back to the drawing board. It seems the French don't want families with teenagers spending their ski cash their this his season.

I'm less annoyed by the French than the moronic UK (engerland anyway) government's inability to understand the implications of its policies and the laughable responses of, e.g., @klamm franzer's MP. But, the handbrakes are beginning to be applied and u-turns are beginning to show. Those of you still waiting for jab 1 for your 12-15 yos will be pleased to know certain pop-up centres in England are freely jabbing 12+'s (so you don't have to wait for the school appointment). Just got my 13yo and 15yo jabbed today at the Centre Court shopping mall in Wimbledon (they were scheduled for November at their schools). Still only one jab, and still no access to the NHS app that lets them generate a QR code for the French P.S. But, this means only one (hail mary) trip to Ireland to (maybe) complete the process with a little vax tourism, and we can do that before December (Ireland doesn't make you wait 8 weeks).
snow conditions
@Dyrlac, Just asking, but how does getting a second jab overseas help you prove vaccination status when you won't get the necessary QR code at the end of it?
snow conditions
@Dyrlac, agreed, it’s not the French’s fault. It’s the U.K. gov fault for not applying for U.K. QR codes to be accepted by EU countries.
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:
@Dyrlac, Just asking, but how does getting a second jab overseas help you prove vaccination status when you won't get the necessary QR code at the end of it?

It is my hope (50/50 chance), based on a review of the Irish vax guidance website, that 7 days post a second jab (the first jab being validated to the Irish health authorities with the usual NHS card), that Eire will send a EU-scheme compliant certificate with a valid QR code (or, at the very least, I would have enough paperwork to hand to argue the point on an as needed basis avec mon schoolboy français (60% of the time it works every time)).
snow report
@Dyrlac, do come and report back, would love to know if this works.

I have never been to Dublin, would love to take my teens for some Christmas shopping…!
snow report
Hopefully we'll be driving through France (and possibly Switzerland) to Aosta in Feb half term with a 14yr old and 16yr old. Eldest has had 1 jab and youngest hopefully get's his in November. Given the changing landscape I think I'll ignore all the speculation and just catch up after christmas to see if travel/lifts/apps is any clearer!
latest report
Chris_n wrote:
ster wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Surely regardless of what the UK government thinks the vaccine is approved as a two dose strategy so therefore one dose is not to protocol.

So that I understand, you would impose a 2 dose regime for 12-15s despite the JVCI saying on current data that theres only a marginal benefit to the recipient on health grounds and would not even recommend vaccinating them on health grounds alone, and the all four of the UK CMOs recommending one dose when they are minded about social impacts rather than the individual's health?

"It follows a recommendation from the UK's four chief medical officers that vaccinating them would help reduce disruption to their schooling this winter and benefit those growing up in the poorest areas.

The UK's advisory body, the JCVI, said there was only a marginal benefit to vaccinating adolescents on health grounds alone and stopped short of recommending it - but it did advise vaccinating children over 12 with specific underlying health conditions who are at greater risk."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58423152

Given their expertise and access to the data do you know something they don't at this point and on what basis would you question their decision? I would be interested to know if you have such compelling data, apart from just apeing some other countries. I guess it comes down to do your trust them or not?

I think they have more pressing concerns than to worry about a 2-dosage plan of marginal indivudual benefit and where one will do the job and than to focus on it on the basis that it makes holidays to France easier?
latest report
@ster, I think that giving this demographic the option to have a second dose would be fair. I don't know if you have kids in this age group but they are pretty switched on and also hacked off with the poo-poo they have had to put up with in the last couple of years. Lack of education, lack of social interaction, travel bans.... And now they are quite rightly a bit miffed that an OAP can wander in to a vaccination centre for a booster, jump on a plane to the Costa Brava and have tapas and sangria. Meanwhile, they are wondering why they can't even prove that they have had the infection and recovered after it has ripped through the schools like a hurricane because the roll out has been delayed... twice now. They have also put their other scheduled vaccination visit on the back burner..... because of Covid.

Given some of the other dubious calls which have been made during this pandemic I would have thought that this would have been an option, at least.

I know it is quite high up the list of first world problems but we are a first world country. Apologies for the rant but we are keen to move along with family life now.
ski holidays
In Scotland at least 12-15yr old first vaccines are well under way. Most of the pupils in that age range that I work with in school have had appointment letters and were vaccinated at vaccination centers a couple of weeks ago. My own 14yr old was done on a drop in basis on Mon (long story involving changes to both mine and his covid/flu appointments due to clashes).

What with the confusion still surrounding teens being able to provide proof of vaccination and differing rules, I'm still not holding out much hope of going skiing at Easter. Things might change by then though.
ski holidays
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STICK TO THE POINT

We are also a family with a 12 yr old- single vaccine.

So families in our situation want- current facts about what we can do regards travel to ski in Europe NOT an opportunity to read pages of polemic. I am all for polemic- in its right place- this is not it.

1. WHAT ARE THE CURRENT RULES IN VARIOUS EUROPEAN SKI DESTINATIONS REGARDS UK 12 -18 YEAR OLDS TRAVELLING TO AND SKIING / DINING? - INFORMED FACTUAL RESPONSES ONLY NOT 'IN MY CASUISTIC OPINION'

2. BETWEEN NOW AND
A) XMAS / NEW YEAR B) FEBRUARY HALF-TERM AND C) EASTER HOLIDAYS- CAN ANY INFORMED PEOPLE - IDEALLY RESIDENTS- TELL US WHAT THE CURRENT POLITICAL MOODS ARE IN EUROPE REGARDING PERFIDIOUS ALBION.
ski holidays
@ed123, You might want to look at @Scarlet's recent post in the "current situation in Austria" thread. He is, I think, resident in Austria and he gives a very current link to restrictions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WHAT THE QUESTIONS ARE

luigi wrote:
With so many changes to the rules & regulations lately, I just can't work out exactly what are the likely complications of taking single-jabbed 16yo & 14yo skiing this winter.

Seems like they're stuck in the no man's land of the UK's single vax policy vs the EU double vax policy for over 12s.

Thinking of driving from UK to France or maybe flying to Italy, with the option of Xmas, Feb HT or Easter.

What's needed to enter each country?

Will they be able to use the lifts & other facilities?

What's needed on return to UK?

What's it going to cost extra (over and above the usual for travel, accommodation, food, liftpasses, hire, etc)?

Any help appreciated! snowHead

I have a view- it is this; Things will change. Whatever the regulations in Europe currently, the huge differential in rates in the UK and differences in vaccination of teenagers- and Brexit (to teach us another lesson- and pour encourager les autres), makes it likely that either teenagers (1 in 8 infected around here) or all UK residents may well be prohibited from any non-essential travel to many destinations around the world anytime soon. I'm booking time off- but not actual holidays. back bottom.
snow report
@ed123, There are slight variations between countries, so you might be better to look on the country-specific threads. Also, that is where you will likely find the relevant residents.

@esaw1, Thanks for the endorsement, but currently I prefer to use the pronouns she/her Very Happy
ski holidays
@Scarlet, I do apologize. Rather presumptuous of me!
ski holidays
@ed123, from a comment elsewhere, I believe that the Italian app accepts a single teen vax and will work across Europe ...
snow report
@ed123, don't shout mate
snow conditions
Quote:

I have a view

I WILL NOT TOLERATE "VIEWS" I DEMAND FACTUAL RESPONSES.
snow report
What an odd thread.

Nobody knows what’s going to happen at Christmas / New Year / February half-term, or Easter. There’s no point demanding answers - there aren’t any. This time last year everything was looking peachy, then the U.K. locked-down in the first week of November. It could happen again.
ski holidays
ben wright wrote:
Quote:

I have a view

I WILL NOT TOLERATE "VIEWS" I DEMAND FACTUAL RESPONSES.
you've got me!
snow report
If you're scanning Alpine destinations and choosing holiday locations based on the limitations of covid regulations around teenagers, then you're probably going to have to go to the source material. This will be the Gov.UK pages on travelling abroad, and the destination country visitors pages. I list these in my blog piece on Official travel updates for France and Switzerland for those countries. You'll see equivalent links for Austria and Italy on other threads.

The Gov.UK pages on travelling abroad lets you register to receive email updates for specific countries, which is useful and means you'll get notified of the specifics as things develop.

But any response about future conditions is not going to be factual and I suspect won't help you narrow-down your choice. What might make it easier is if narrow-down your country focus, on the basis of current regulations. But you can't obviate the risk that for unvaccinated or partly-vaccinated UK teenagers the rules in place at the time will make make a trip unviable.
snow conditions
Hi everyone, i found this last night and thought it had some good info on the requirements to various countries.
https://www.skyscanner.net/travel-restrictions?utm_content=toplink&utm_source=oneoff&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=covid-map-relaunch_UK_2021-10-24&utm_term=
ski holidays
@peter2512, That looks like a useful link. Many thanks.
snow report
You want a knotty scenario, I got one.

11-yo who turns 12 mid December, one day after he breaks up from school. We are due to fly to Italy on the 27th. Not only do I have to try to find him a vaccine single shot jab at a walk-in, but somehow have to get him a COVID test and result 48 hours before we fly... which is Christmas day. Thankyou, goodnight *mic drop*
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy