Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking teenagers skiing this winter?

Poster: A snowHead
Not that it helps much now.... But currently in France at the moment, with my 11 soon to be 12 year old daughter and no one has mentioned a health pass for her, or asked her age. So if by some miracle we're able to come back here in half term when she is 12, I will be taking no notice, and telling anyone who may ask, that she's 11.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Chris_n, Thanks yes, i has assumed that the date was linked to the Austrian school year, so it makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, the Austrian tourist board came back to me and its definitely not going to cover any 15 year olds born before 1 September 2006.

We did make some progress and managed to get my son double vaccinated today, but now the challenge is proving it.

@andmelffion, I found this https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-app/about-the-nhs-app/ which implies that the app is available to 13 years olds, but I think that its so new that other pages haven't been updated. I rang up about the letter and apparently it takes 7 working day to come through, having waited 5 days for the vaccination details to be updated - we need the proof by Thursday as that's our deadline for cancelling. We are due to go on Monday. All v very stressful.....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rachelharrisonsmith wrote:
@Chris_n, Thanks yes, i has assumed that the date was linked to the Austrian school year, so it makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, the Austrian tourist board came back to me and its definitely not going to cover any 15 year olds born before 1 September 2006.

We did make some progress and managed to get my son double vaccinated today, but now the challenge is proving it.

@andmelffion, I found this https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-app/about-the-nhs-app/ which implies that the app is available to 13 years olds, but I think that its so new that other pages haven't been updated. I rang up about the letter and apparently it takes 7 working day to come through, having waited 5 days for the vaccination details to be updated - we need the proof by Thursday as that's our deadline for cancelling. We are due to go on Monday. All v very stressful.....

Yes they are hoping for a digital solution some time early next year…there is no set date for that yet, hence the letter is the only option
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Sorry to keen with the submit button….the nhs app is available for over 13’s but it does not give access to the covid pass for anyone under the age of 16 - they are hoping to digitise it early next year but no confirmed date. As such if you wish to travel with an under 16 the only option is the letter they will provide as this gives you the qr code you will need and is valid for 30 days.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi- anybody know what the sttaus for a single jabbed K 12 yr ol in Italy (Sauze) is / will be at Xmas-New Year.

I think it is; Need a passenger locator form. Negative lateral flow within 24 hs departure. Lateral flow every 48 hrs.

Can go on ski lifts and into own hotel bar /restaurants.

Cannot eat / drink inside anywhere else as no double jabbed.

Is that about right.

Best would be a reply from someone who has just gone / is in Italy now.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@andmelffion, thanks. That would be why the other sites say that its over 16s. Its immensely frustrating. My surgery don't know how to activate the on-line proxy access for me (which does work, I believe) but they very kindly gave me a print out of my son's vaccinations. Unfortunately, I don't think that this is will be accepted as proof.

I can't get the letter in time - he was only jabbed yesterday. I'm trying to work out quite what the NHS Digital team has done to create such as lag for the production of them, given that the records are updated real-time, and why they can't be sent by email.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andmelffion, thanks. That would be why the other sites say that its over 16s. Its immensely frustrating. My surgery don't know how to activate the on-line proxy access for me (which does work, I believe) but they very kindly gave me a print out of my son's vaccinations. Unfortunately, I don't think that this is will be accepted as proof.

I can't get the letter in time - he was only jabbed yesterday. I'm trying to work out quite what the NHS Digital team has done to create such as lag for the production of them, given that the records are updated real-time, and why they can't be sent by email.

yep its a right royal pain in the proverbial..sadly our trip to France seems off the cards and our daughter ill be double jabbed by the time we go again at half term so we should be ok with whatever sysytem is in place by then

my dr's surgery took 2 and a half weeks to allow/process proxy access to our daughters records and all it does is show you the same as the print out they have given you and i know in France that if you take that to a local pharmacy and pay around €35 that will generate a health pass - might you be able to do the same in Austria?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I see the NHS letter of prrof can be applied for 5 days after my teenager has his 2nd jab but does anyone have experience of how long that takes to get processed and delivered once requested? Timelines would be a bit tight if we get to late Jan and decided we're going for it at half term.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MHskier wrote:
I see the NHS letter of prrof can be applied for 5 days after my teenager has his 2nd jab but does anyone have experience of how long that takes to get processed and delivered once requested? Timelines would be a bit tight if we get to late Jan and decided we're going for it at half term.

at present it takes up to 7 days to be received -
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks - should be ok but hopefully by then they'll have updated the NHS app to allow for 12-15 yr olds to have a qr code!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@andmelffion, that’s good to hear about the print out being accepted in France. I have just spoken to the hotel in Austria and they have confirmed that they’ll accept the print out, so fingers crossed. If we can’t get my son a ski pass, he can do some revision for his mocks!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good luck to anyone who actually makes it out - still nice hearing how everyone gets on. We were due to go Val Thorens today Eh oh! but sadly not. We decided to rebook for February, but that might be too soon. At least our teenagers will have had second doses. Stay safe everyone and Merry Christmas x
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Potential 10 day quarantine for arrivals from uk being reported by several newspapers…could be in place by Friday…below taken from the telegraph.

UK skiers could face a 10-day quarantine on arrival in Austria as soon as Friday due to fears over the spread of the omicron variant, local newspapers have reported.

The Kronen Zeitung reported the Austrian government is looking to “classify Great Britain, Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands as virus variant areas”, which would effectively ban holidays to the country this winter.

A confirmation from the Austrian Ministry of Health is said to be pending.

Fears surrounding imported cases of the omicron variant have ramped up in Austria in recent days, with Covid scientist Ulrich Elling criticising the lack of restrictions on British flights and estimating that 15 UK passengers infected with the virus are arriving in Austria each day.

The news is yet another blow to skiers who have already been banned from travelling to France until at least January. Though Austria was under full lockdown measures until last week, most ski resorts have since reopened and hopes were high that the season could go ahead without further disruption.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dquest wrote:
I am contemplating trying to get my teenager (single-jabbed in UK) a second vaccination in France in a walk-in centre (e.g. in Paris on our drive down). I know that there is a period (7 days I think) before it entitles you to a pass but might be useful for the future. Anyone have any info or thoughts on that? (He has Italian + UK passports and, although normally UK resident, we have a property in France so have evidence of a French residential address.

This worked. We now have a French QR vaccination code for him. All we needed to produce at the vaccination centre in Paris was proof of first vaccination (which is on his NHS record, and we got a printout from our GP).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dquest wrote:
dquest wrote:
I am contemplating trying to get my teenager (single-jabbed in UK) a second vaccination in France in a walk-in centre (e.g. in Paris on our drive down). I know that there is a period (7 days I think) before it entitles you to a pass but might be useful for the future. Anyone have any info or thoughts on that? (He has Italian + UK passports and, although normally UK resident, we have a property in France so have evidence of a French residential address.

This worked. We now have a French QR vaccination code for him. All we needed to produce at the vaccination centre in Paris was proof of first vaccination (which is on his NHS record, and we got a printout from our GP).

did you also need to state your french address ?
ski holidays
I got a follow up from my MP's office today, forwarding a letter from Maggie Throup MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Vaccines and Public Health

Dear [My MP],
Thank you for your correspondence of 18 October to the Department for Transport on behalf of your constituent, Mr [Klamm Franzer], about COVID-19 vaccination status certification for children. Your query has been passed to the Department of Health and Social Care and I apologise for the delay in replying.

I am grateful to you for raising Mr [Franzer’s] concerns.

The NHS COVID Pass service is available to individuals aged 16 and over. The vaccination records contained within the NHS COVID Pass can be shown as proof of COVID-19 status when travelling abroad. International standards for travel require a full course of vaccination for an individual to be recognised as ‘fully vaccinated’. However, children under 18 are exempt from certification in England and at the UK border.
Universal vaccination of 12 to 15-year-olds began on 20 September. Following the recommendation from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation on 29 November, 12 to 15-year-olds will now be offered a second vaccination, a minimum of 12 weeks after their first.
We are aware that increasing numbers of countries are requiring children to demonstrate their COVID-19 status. Since 13 December, fully vaccinated 12 to 15-year-olds can access an NHS COVID Pass letter for international travel, which includes an internationally recognised 2D barcode. The letter can be requested at www.nhs.uk or by calling 119, and can take up to seven days to arrive. A digital solution, which will also be available at www.nhs.uk, will be rolled out early next year.

There are no plans to allow 12 to 15-year-olds to provide evidence of their recent recovery from COVID-19 for international travel. The strength of the protective immune response to the virus varies greatly from person to person, and although it is likely an individual will be
protected from severe disease or death for a period post-recovery from first infection, the duration of this protection will also vary. The protection offered by natural immunity is therefore not considered comparable to full vaccination.
Before travelling abroad, individuals should check the entry requirements for their destination, as requirements for testing and vaccination can vary from country to country.

Further details on entry requirements can be found at www.gov.uk by searching for ‘coronavirus travel advice’. 

I hope this reply is helpful.

Yours sincerely,

MAGGIE THROUP MP
ski holidays
Klamm Franzer wrote:
I got a follow up from my MP's office today, forwarding a letter from Maggie Throup MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Vaccines and Public Health

Dear [My MP],
Thank you for your correspondence of 18 October to the Department for Transport on behalf of your constituent, Mr [Klamm Franzer], about COVID-19 vaccination status certification for children. Your query has been passed to the Department of Health and Social Care and I apologise for the delay in replying.

I am grateful to you for raising Mr [Franzer’s] concerns.

The NHS COVID Pass service is available to individuals aged 16 and over. The vaccination records contained within the NHS COVID Pass can be shown as proof of COVID-19 status when travelling abroad. International standards for travel require a full course of vaccination for an individual to be recognised as ‘fully vaccinated’. However, children under 18 are exempt from certification in England and at the UK border.
Universal vaccination of 12 to 15-year-olds began on 20 September. Following the recommendation from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation on 29 November, 12 to 15-year-olds will now be offered a second vaccination, a minimum of 12 weeks after their first.
We are aware that increasing numbers of countries are requiring children to demonstrate their COVID-19 status. Since 13 December, fully vaccinated 12 to 15-year-olds can access an NHS COVID Pass letter for international travel, which includes an internationally recognised 2D barcode. The letter can be requested at www.nhs.uk or by calling 119, and can take up to seven days to arrive. A digital solution, which will also be available at www.nhs.uk, will be rolled out early next year.

There are no plans to allow 12 to 15-year-olds to provide evidence of their recent recovery from COVID-19 for international travel. The strength of the protective immune response to the virus varies greatly from person to person, and although it is likely an individual will be
protected from severe disease or death for a period post-recovery from first infection, the duration of this protection will also vary. The protection offered by natural immunity is therefore not considered comparable to full vaccination.
Before travelling abroad, individuals should check the entry requirements for their destination, as requirements for testing and vaccination can vary from country to country.

Further details on entry requirements can be found at www.gov.uk by searching for ‘coronavirus travel advice’. 

I hope this reply is helpful.

Yours sincerely,

MAGGIE THROUP MP

That's very useful to know, thanks for this info.
snow report
backhojo wrote:
dquest wrote:
dquest wrote:

did you also need to state your french address ?

We did in fact give our French address (no documentation was requested) but I don’t know whether that was necessary.
ski holidays
Aargh! My 13 y/o daughter (along with the rest of us) has just tested positive for COVID.

This means she can't have her second jab for another three months which rules out Feb half-term (possibly Easter too) unless we can get a recovery letter and find a way of getting French system to accept that as proof of vaccines status.

We'd be using EJ flights rolled over from last year. Maybe they'll let us all move them another year? Plenty of time to sort it out but it looks more likely that another season will pass without us going skiing.

Really bad timing as MiL is on her last legs and none of us can visit her for at least four more days which may be too late.
ski holidays
Just to let everyone know, I got my 12-15 Vaccine certificate letter for my daughter, who was jabbed on 12th December. It appears to have all the info and QR codes needed for the passe sanitaire. All a bit of a waste of time at the moment, and it expires 14th January, so will need to be renewed, but the service appears to be up and running.
snow report
@CV, that's a sod. Hopefully either the paperwork or rules will change.
latest report
Anyone know if the new Austria rules have kept the requirement for 120 day gap between jab 2 and booster. If they have I have a problem as my kids both have about 100 day gap. And today is last day I can change booking to Italy. And Austria haven't updated rules online yet.

UPDATE: Austrian Embassy confirmed that there should be 120 days between 2nd jab and booster. Austrian Travel Board site also states this in bold.
latest report
OK, so earlier in the tread I promised an update on things, so I'll give it even though it feels a little like rubbing salt into wounds:

Getting into France (pre latest restrictions) flew from MAN to GVA, had sub 48hr PCR's for adults and sub 24hr LFT for teen (as single jabbed at time). Swiss requirements checked by airline and passport staff at GVA, French requirements never checked (more on that in a sec).

In GVA some Brits off our flight were getting pulled and sent for PCR's, not sure why, maybe they were staying in CH and hadn't pre-booked an arrival test. As transitting peeps we were good to go.

Boarded SwissTours to Chx, nothing checked, entered France, nothing checked (but remember this is all pre latest changes).

In Chx we had about 7 days to wait until teens second jab sent her PS live so we paid for one pharmacy LFT. Used lifts a fair bit and no one checked anything (so didn't pay for any further tests) UNTIL Christmas week, then all the checks kicked in, but by then we were all set.

We did try to get a pharmacy and a lab to convert the teens infection and single jab into a PS, no joy. For the last month pharmacies can (for a fee) convert non QR code jabs (eg UK sub 16) into a QR. The places we tried in Chx could not do the same for an infection, I know the pharmacy in Val'd'I says it can. It MAY have been that my teens infection was very close to her first jab. They tried their best, even calling the French Social Sec for us, but no go. luckily no drama as the wait was only a few days.

Now in Chx there is much more PS checking, though mask adherence is still poor tbh.

Today we went to Italy. No border checks either way though we carried proof of sub 60km 'residency' and we were in a 74 plate car. Lifties and all restos were red hot on green tick equivalency, additionally the car park uplift lifties insisted on FFP2/KN95 masks, French filtraton buffs or standard blue masks were a no go. Once on the hill then buffs were fine, but some form of face covering was enforced on all lifts. Can't speak to cable car on download as we used the skidoo track back down.

Battery dying, gtg.

Hope that helps someone.
ski holidays
andmelffion wrote:

Yes they are hoping for a digital solution some time early next year…there is no set date for that yet, hence the letter is the only option

If the UK gov does not get it s**t together on this, then maybe there is some mileage in contacting a French pharmacy, they have for the last month been able to take vax records without a QR code (non EU, or in this case UK teens) and convert them into Euro acceptable QR coded certs (so long as they qualify, ie vax type, etc). There is a charge, but only €30-40. The challenge may be finding a pharmacy who will do it remotely.

Maybe some skint seasonnaire wil see the opportunity here and start collecting proofs to then take to their local pharmacy and get converted (for a margin).
latest report
Am I reading this correctly? As part of Castex's announcement yesterday from 15th Jan the Pass Sanitaire becomes a vaccine pass. So, 12-15 year olds will need their second jab plus the French to accept the printed certificate or half term is out for France (assuming we're actually allowed to enter France at all.) Daily antigen tests will no longer be enough.
snow report
@Snow Monkey - yes, that's how I've taken it but perhaps finer details are being worked out. In its most basic form I see the French will simplify the system to allow for fully vaccinated (18+ = 3 jabs, 12-15 = 2 jabs) only to be able to carry on as normal. As the Pass S is currently in place for ski lifts, this has a huge impact for the non fully vaccinated. Also, for people waiting for a vaccination but can't have one because they have contracted/recovered from Covid (or people who just cannot have vaccines at all). Does this mean all Covid testing sites in ski resorts close from 15 January as not needed anymore? There surely must be some caveats to the new rule?
ski holidays
@kettonskimum, Our daughter's school only started to offer the vaccine a few weeks ago so if the twelve week gap is strictly adhered to then that takes a lot of children past the half term week. I presume the rollout in other areas was at a similar time. Here's hoping for some common sense to be applied but I won't hold my breath.
snow conditions
I imagine that the 12 week rule will be kept (for the safety of children). One of our children had it early November which is fine but the other didn't want it (back in September). He's now had it (mid December) but means he's out of scope for Feb half term if the rules are strict.

Assuming things might be tightened moreso when rules changed barring Brits a few weeks ago, I've also booked week up high for Easter (by which time both kids would be double jabbed). I've never ever before purposely booked a second accommodation with a view to cancelling one and playing the law of the averages......but I feel backed into a corner and am working on the things I can control rather than what I can't.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snow Monkey, Our two getting their second in a fortnight's time-as quickly as they can. Just need to make sure they don't catch Covid before then otherwise it knocks out Easter too with the 12 week wait. That is, of course, unless we don't notify T&T so it is not added to their medical records and so won't get refused.
ski holidays
That's something that I hadn't even considered. It really doesn't do you any favours to "do the right thing." None of my family has had covid yet, as far as we know, so a badly timed infection and we're stuffed. IF we get it confirmed with a PCR test.
latest report
Yes I agree about the potential to be disadvantaged against having done all the rules and playing our part to minimise spread effectively (no covid in the household at all) in that we could be wiped out in terms of a Feb half term trip if younger one gets it. A 14 yr old who has 1 jab and the full 12 weeks not up until end Jan.

Did I imagine that they'd brought that down to 8? Gov.uk website shows that only as an option for imuno-compromised but tbh I'm tempted to try and swing by a walk-in center late in the day as soon as he's passed 8 weeks and see if they will do it. I'm sure I read on here that someone had got their 12-15 yr olds done.

I know that this doesn't guarantee not getting covid but at lease he'll be more protected from the worst of the disease and still have (outside) chance of going to Italy in Feb.

Strange that fit 18 yr olds are being prioiritised for boosters ahead of 12-15 yr olds completing the actual initial vaccination course (as seen by the manufacturers and whole world other than UK).
snow conditions
MHskier wrote:
Yes I agree about the potential to be disadvantaged against having done all the rules and playing our part to minimise spread effectively (no covid in the household at all) in that we could be wiped out in terms of a Feb half term trip if younger one gets it. A 14 yr old who has 1 jab and the full 12 weeks not up until end Jan.

Did I imagine that they'd brought that down to 8? Gov.uk website shows that only as an option for imuno-compromised but tbh I'm tempted to try and swing by a walk-in center late in the day as soon as he's passed 8 weeks and see if they will do it. I'm sure I read on here that someone had got their 12-15 yr olds done.

I know that this doesn't guarantee not getting covid but at lease he'll be more protected from the worst of the disease and still have (outside) chance of going to Italy in Feb.

Strange that fit 18 yr olds are being prioiritised for boosters ahead of 12-15 yr olds completing the actual initial vaccination course (as seen by the manufacturers and whole world other than UK).

My wife is the responsible clinical lead for a vaccine centre and no you will not get the 2nd jab until the 12th week as they are strictly forbidden under the current rules…can’t even get our own daughters brought forward by a couple of days. Best you can hope is that Whitty et al change the rules but it’s not even being discussed currently.
snow conditions
They changed 12 - 15 to 8 weeks before Xmas. Both ours got called up and had second dose on the 19 Dec (1st dose 6 Oct). We then requested the government paper letter (NHS.uk) for Children and it came with a QR code and arrived on the 23rd. This is automatically read as 2G compliant on the green pass readers in Austria and TousAntiCovid app.

So what looked like a it was going to be a cancelled holiday with first the Swiss ban and then the French ban suddenly worked out.
latest report
msjhes2 wrote:
They changed 12 - 15 to 8 weeks before Xmas. Both ours got called up and had second dose on the 19 Dec (1st dose 6 Oct). We then requested the government paper letter (NHS.uk) for Children and it came with a QR code and arrived on the 23rd. This is automatically read as 2G compliant on the green pass readers in Austria and TousAntiCovid app.

So what looked like a it was going to be a cancelled holiday with first the Swiss ban and then the French ban suddenly worked out.

Maybe if you are in Scotland but certainly not the case in England unless the kids are clinically vulnerable or live with someone who is clinically vulnerable.
snow conditions
snowhound wrote:
@Snow Monkey, Our two getting their second in a fortnight's time-as quickly as they can. Just need to make sure they don't catch Covid before then otherwise it knocks out Easter too with the 12 week wait. That is, of course, unless we don't notify T&T so it is not added to their medical records and so won't get refused.

Exactly this! What's the point in a PCR now? Tempting to just isolate for a week after a positive LFT.
ski holidays
@Skimum1, Doesn't proof of recovery count for something? Or has that been stopped now?
latest report
@andmelffion, I live in England and it's not just the one place, as it when the doctors contacted to arrange the jabs as it was now 8 weeks (for the 23 Dec), immediately went to the local vac centre so that we could get them a few days earlier and they did it no questions asked.
latest report
looking at my chat history with my wife, it looks like Chris Whitty even announced it on the 15th at one of the press conferences! It may have changed again but certainly from then it was 8 weeks!
snow report
pieman666 wrote:
@Skimum1, Doesn't proof of recovery count for something? Or has that been stopped now?

I don't think full details are out - just read the PS is becoming "passe vaccinal" from 15 Jan and 12-15 need two jabs to qualify.
ski holidays
msjhes2 wrote:
looking at my chat history with my wife, it looks like Chris Whitty even announced it on the 15th at one of the press conferences! It may have changed again but certainly from then it was 8 weeks!

I think you're right but I think it changed again as it is definitely 12 weeks where I am, strictly enforced. Just checked with a vaccinator pal today as that's all mine are being offered online.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy