Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti superski 2021/2

Poster: A snowHead
The new rules kicked in yesterday, so super green pass now applies. As I understand it, 6 months from second jab. Ok if boosted.

Even more difficult with those 12-17 with single jabs.

If Unvaccinated, don't bother trying as you are effectively banned from every building/transport/public place.

Don't rely on a signal, get a copy of your QR code sent to your phone or email. Print backup.

If you use the verifaC19 to check your QR code, then you select the second scan option.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
neilkav wrote:
Is it possible to ski on blues from Colfosco to Selva then on to Ortisei for an early intermediate (OH) - to access Alp di Susi? It looks a long way, is it worth it?

Not possible on blues, but most early intermediates should be able to cope with the red runs down into Selva. Just take it steady.

Alp Di Suisi is a long way from Colfosco for slower skiers. If I was you' I'd do a trial run over to Selva and check timings first. You would need to get a bus up to Ortesei and back. Probably not worth the effort.

The Sedecca area, above San Christina will be fine for early intermediate. Most of those marked as red near the top, are really blues. (take the train through the mountain). You could ski over from Selva, but it's quite a long route. A 5 minute bus ride might be a better option.

On the return, once at the top of Dantercepies, it's a nice cruise all the way home.

See how your oh gets on during the week. No reason why and early intermediate won't be able to get round the entire Sella Ronda. Be a great confidence booster. Maybe try it in one direction, with a set time to turn round if a certain point not reached, then try the other direction another day with the same plan. If you can get to the top of Plan Di Gralba by noon anticlockwise, or 2pm clockwise (easy cruising runs home), you should have no problems.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brianatab wrote:
neilkav wrote:
Is it possible to ski on blues from Colfosco to Selva then on to Ortisei for an early intermediate (OH) - to access Alp di Susi? It looks a long way, is it worth it?

Not possible on blues, but most early intermediates should be able to cope with the red runs down into Selva. Just take it steady.

Alp Di Suisi is a long way from Colfosco for slower skiers. If I was you' I'd do a trial run over to Selva and check timings first. You would need to get a bus up to Ortesei and back. Probably not worth the effort.

If you take the bus from Selva to Ortisei both ways then you miss out on the interesting experience of the Magical Mystery Bus trip from Monte Pana to Saltria on the Alpe di Suisi/Seiseralm, as described in this thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156121#4814606

brianatab wrote:

The Sedecca area, above San Christina will be fine for early intermediate. Most of those marked as red near the top, are really blues. (take the train through the mountain). You could ski over from Selva, but it's quite a long route. A 5 minute bus ride might be a better option.

Just to avoid confusion it's actually called the Seceda area. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like a week of wall to wall sunshine. Perfect weather to plan your week’s itinerary Cool
https://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/c11665/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink wrote:

brianatab wrote:

Just to avoid confusion it's actually called the Seceda area. Madeye-Smiley

Came across this on YouTube over the weekend which shows the area. Planning to get over there one day from Pozza di Fassa as it looks great.

http://youtube.com/v/Xt4c6PQdBCE

Current hit lists/plans for the week for us are:

Sella Ronda circuit (not sure on which direction yet)
San Pellegrino
Edelweiss area above Colfosco
Marmolada
Hidden Valley
Seceda area

Trying to get to some areas that i've not skied on previous trips to the area. Although some of that list I have done before.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
neilkav wrote:
Hi all,

Great reports thank you, keep them coming!!!

We arrive in Colfosco on saturday - can’t wait!

Couple of questions if i may, first one ski related;

Thanks

Not really. I'd go up to Dantercepies, down the easy-ish red runs to skier's left from the top (stay to the LEFT as far as possible) you could take the bus from Selva to Ortisei to catch the gondola up to Alpe di Siusi. However: You may be waiting a long time for the bus, and then you'll need to get a bus back from the base of the gondola to Selva and back up the Dantercepies lift. Plus the back side of Dantercepies gets icy in mid-afternoon as the sun goes behind the mountains. I just don't think it's worth the effort unless you're comfortable on reds. And even then you'd have to add time to get to/from Colfosco. IMO Alpe di Siusi is much better access from Sta. Cristina or Ortisei, or from Selva with a car...it's a great area but you want to go A) when it's sunny and B)when you can spend the better part of a day there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:

If you take the bus from Selva to Ortisei both ways then you miss out on the interesting experience of the Magical Mystery Bus trip from Monte Pana to Saltria on the Alpe di Suisi/Seiseralm, as described in this thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156121#4814606

A long way from Colfosco for an early intermediate, but a very nice day out.

I did this 3 years ago, on the last day of my first BB. Work your way down the valley. We had to use the Gondola down to Ortesei, but the red run has now been reopened, so will be much better.
Original plan was to take the cable car up to Seceda, ski down to St Christina on the way home. Never got to the far side of Alp Di Suisi. Well behind planned Schedule, had to get a bus to San Christina, and only just got the last lift back over Pordoi. rolling eyes Missed the last lift on the run into Arabba, and had to pole the blue.

Plan to do it again this year, but nice early start, and no faffers in the team.

Note: From later experience of waiting an hour to get back up the Cable car from the bottom of La Longia, don't try to add this loop on. Better to spend an extra 2 hours in Alp di Suisi.

Ortesei is a lovely village. Worth a visit. You get the bus back from the square.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the answers folks.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Cofolsco, when the OH have their ski legs back, if they can ski the red Forcelles in the Edelweiss area, then that would be a good guide as to how they would cope with other reds
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
neilkav wrote:

Secondly - Covid question;

The super green pass it’s been advised before on snowheads in travel to Italy thread, is not needed if you have the NHS app with QR codes, yet on this thread it seems you definitely need it?
When I last tried the green pass app it’s only in Italian?

We have the dolomiti app all loaded to link our lift passes but would really like to know definitively about the green pass app.

Thanks

Just for clarity rolling eyes - there’s a lot of confusion about this (still!):

The QR code created by the NHS app is proof of your vaccination status - that’s all you need!

The Italians will scan your QR code with the VerificaC19 app (which you can download and use to scan your QR code just to make sure your QR code ‘works’, but you don’t need to).

You clearly need to be able to display your QR code at the lifts, rifugio doors etc - the quicker and easier that can be made, the better. The NHS app needs a signal & data so might be unable to display your QR code so people will have a printed copy and / or an offline copy saved in a ‘wallet’ app, eg Apple wallet, Google pay or some other easily-accessible app (like the Green Pass one recommended in various threads) but that’s not necessary
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Harrow lady wrote:
@Garfield, @richb67, we flew with Titan Airways. If I was with tui I would have gone for a lateral but this time around didn’t want to risk it.
Did Colfosco ( the view from the Forcelles run … breathtaking), corvara and part of arabba yesterday. Corvara n 1 run is stunning , totally forgot how good it was. Give it a go Garfield if u are coming this way. The connecting run between Alta and Arabba (sella red route) was totally spoiled by the end of the day. Really hate moguls! All other runs were nicely groomed. Corvara town was busy . people are very conscious of social distancing , naturally there are some queues but overall did not wait longer than 3 min. Did all the travelling by our self only shared 1 gondola so far and I feel very safe when compared to London Underground .

We are debating whether to go to the marmolada or not. I have never done it and I don’t know if it is too much for my capabilities .
Today we are doing Hidden Valley/Laguzoi . Will report on the costs of going and coming back.

thanks for the info, we're with TUI going out so wondered what the process would be as our 2 recent trips to Italy were with BA.

FWIW I completed the Marmolada a few years ago when ability wise I was comfortable on reds but avoided blacks, I didn't have any problems. I seem to recall enjoying the run over from Arabba but we did have a long wait at the Marmolada cable car.

Hope you enjoyed the HV and avoided the horse mess Happy not the best stuff to ski on...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="Red Leon"]
neilkav wrote:

You clearly need to be able to display your QR code at the lifts, rifugio doors etc - the quicker and easier that can be made, the better. The NHS app needs a signal & data so might be unable to display your QR code so people will have a printed copy and / or an offline copy saved in a ‘wallet’ app, eg Apple wallet, Google pay or some other easily-accessible app (like the Green Pass one recommended in various threads) but that’s not necessary

FWIW, i'll be setting the QR code as my background on my phone, that way, no faffing except getting the phone out the pocket. Don't even need to access it, just light up the locked screen.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
swskier wrote:

FWIW, i'll be setting the QR code as my background on my phone, that way, no faffing except getting the phone out the pocket. Don't even need to access it, just light up the locked screen.

And I’ll have a printed version of the QR code and a copy of my passport photo in a waterproof plastic wallet on a lanyard. So there! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brianatab wrote:

Original plan was to take the cable car up to Seceda, ski down to St Christina on the way home. Never got to the far side of Alp Di Suisi. Well behind planned Schedule, had to get a bus to San Christina, and only just got the last lift back over Pordoi. rolling eyes Missed the last lift on the run into Arabba, and had to pole the blue.

Plan to do it again this year, but nice early start, and no faffers in the team.

I’ve never done the Magical Mystery bus and I’ve never been to Alp di Suisi but I’d love to do both. Looks like I will be stalking you at the BB Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Red Leon, You're welcome to join me, along with any other willing victims. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Red Leon, this works, using my old Chillfactore pass holder. I tried scanning it with my phone using the Verifica19 app and it worked fine. I've since made a slightly larger version and it also scanned first time. I've got some laminated ones to stick to my helmet as well, but if they don't work, at least I know this does.

snow report
brianatab wrote:
Plan to do it again this year, but nice early start, and no faffers in the team. .

You said we could come with you on that trip. Now you say no faffers. Make your mind up. Laughing wink
ski holidays
Hidden Valley / Laguzoi taxi 7 euros from armentarola,
We skied col gallina and 5 torri first (hated the former loved the latter).
This is my third visit to laguzoi and by far the quietest.
The views are incredible, The frozen waterfalls are as stunning as ever and the alpacas are gone .
Coming back was a bit of a problem. Couldn’t find anybody keen to take a taxi , min 4 pp, ended up taking the horses and had to wait 40 min for the sledge to leave. They want to fill all the positions of course and it s a bit too quiet for that. If u are coming from afar please factor extra waiting time. Cost 3 euros. Worth the extra 10 e, but will not redo for at least 5 years Toofy Grin
snow report
[quote="swskier"]
Red Leon wrote:
neilkav wrote:

What a fantastic idea thanks!!
ski holidays
I would recommend the EU Greenpass :: https://greenpassapp.eu/

Works without the need of a signal ; In English ; Opens with one click ; You can add another persons QR code if necessary ; will validate other codes....!
snow report
Does anybody know which ski hire shop crystal use in Alba and also are there lockers by the cable car/gondola for storing skis/ boots and cost ?
ski holidays
@rizzotherock, I have the Crystal ski app on my phone - the app tells me which shop they use (in selva) under 'resort' : worth a try for you

Alba is tiny - doubt they have many ski hire shops!
ski holidays
@rizzotherock, looking on the Crystal ski app, definitely looks as though there's lockers. It's not particularly clear, but they appear to be near the lift up to the Buffaure/Ciampac area rather than the Canazei side. Haven't been in a while and the Alba lift up to Canazei didn't exist when I last went, but my understanding is it's quite close to the Buffaure/Ciampac lift.

Edit: just looked on google maps, they appear to be side by side.
snow report
Thanks chaps, just looked at the crystal ski app and it doesn’t offer Alba as a resort, only Canazei which uses ski marmolada hire shop, maybe I’ll have to travel to there, will find out Saturday
latest report
IIRC Alba isn't really a resort just the name for an area with some hotels and Chalets on the far side of Canazei where the two lifts go from. They are right next to each other going to opposite sides of the valley.

we used the Marmolada ski hire with Crystal in Canazei 3 yrs ago. They were good, modern place with decent equipment.

The ski bus runs along the valley and it's not like having to go to another resort, maybe 5 mins on the bus between Alba and the nearest stop to the ski hire then maybe a short walk. Our Hotel sold us ski bus passes on arrival, they were cheap and it's good to have one for the stay.
latest report
@rizzotherock, have you already booked the ski hire with crystal?

Looking online, there's this place available by the lifts in Alba....
https://www.fassa.com/EN/SkiPaoloNoleggioSportInverno/
latest report
@swskier, yeah, ski hire booked with crystal. Doesn’t sound like too much hassle then if I’ve gotta go to canazei to get skis
latest report
@rizzotherock, bus timetable can be found here:

https://www.fassa.com/upload/document/Orari-skibus-Val-di-Fassa-04122021-18042022.pdf

Tickets bought via your hotel are €9 for the week, €18 for a full price ticket not via the hotel.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, ideal thanks, very reasonable, will definitely buy the bus ticket then
ski holidays
Canazei :: The 'move' of the Kristiania lift (in the Belverdere bowl) is complete ; the top station has been re-sited so it is adjacent to the top station of the Col dei Rossi cable car. Not moved far, but a necessary one

http://youtube.com/v/TJn8_lPm5BE
snow report
albob wrote:
Canazei :: The 'move' of the Kristiania lift (in the Belverdere bowl) is complete ; the top station has been re-sited so it is adjacent to the top station of the Col dei Rossi cable car. Not moved far, but a necessary one

It will now make it easier to find the Alba lift! I seem to remember that the old Kristiania lift deposited you slightly lower, and the Alba cable car was hidden from view. Eventually we caught the Pecol-Col dei Rossi cable car and from there you can see the Alba cable car.
ski holidays
@jellylegs, Yep - should be a big improvement
latest report
The Great War circuit is now showing as open. It opened later than programmed because the bus service was suspended.
Superski are today reporting 432 lifts out of 450 open and 1498 kms of ski runs. Pretty much everything is now prepared for the season.
Warmer temperatures over the next three days then the longer term outlook is for settled, dry weather. Perfect conditions for skiing and planning itineraries.

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c14573/
snow report
Not seen a 'squiggly' line for a while, so I thought I might try Smile

Looks like some snow for the end of January..

Val di gardena area
ski holidays
Are the Italians asking for id in resort and whilst skiing or is it purely the qr code that they want?
ski holidays
I wondered about that - scanning my QR code shows my vac status and name ; But what is stopping me from using someone else's code ??
I intend to carry some form of photo ID (driving licence?)
latest report
albob wrote:
I wondered about that - scanning my QR code shows my vac status and name ; But what is stopping me from using someone else's code ??

You are supposed to carry photo id in Italy anyway
Driving licence probably better than passport
Less of a problem if lost Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

Looks like some snow for the end of January.

Way out in FI, but it's already making me excited for the Birthday Bash!
snow conditions
Garfield wrote:
albob wrote:

You are supposed to carry photo id in Italy…

Source?
snow conditions
AL9000 wrote:
Garfield wrote:
albob wrote:

You are supposed to carry photo id in Italy…

Source?

Garfield is correct (I wasn't aware of the requirement ..)

"..By law you must be able to show some form of identification at all times. In most cases a photocopy of the data page of your passport should suffice, but in this case you’re advised to also carry a second form of photo ID. The police will normally ask for your full passport if you are stopped while driving..."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy/local-laws-and-customs
=====
I suspect having photo ID with you at all times is probably EU wide..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy