Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best way to get from Val Gardena to Seiser Alm

Poster: A snowHead
so we have a couple of weeks booked in Corvara this coming Feb. It will be our third trip to the SR area so we know our way around.

However we've never made it over to Seiser Alm and have read good things on here so I thought we'd take a look. We'll have a car so could drive over but I wondered what the options were for skiing over. We really like the run from the top of Seceda to Ortisei but IIRC when you reach the bottom there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to get across the valley to the Alpe di Suis gondola (or to the Resciesa lift).

so can you walk/bus/ski from the bottom of cable car at the bottom of the Seceda lift?

The piste map seems to indicate a bus runs from Monte Pana to Seiser Alm, is this usable ? I can't find a timetable online, presumably because it only runs in winter so it would be good to know if it runs every 10 mins or twice a day Happy

or is it best to get a bus from val Gardena ? how about returning ?

Finally, related question is it easy to get the Resciesa lift from the bottom of Seceda? do you just walk ?

thanks in advance,

ps I'm bored at work...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alastair Pink is the 'expert' on the bus from Monte Pana, I am sure he will comment in due time.

There is no skiing from the Resciesa lift (just a toboggan run)

I can't remember how I got from the bottom of Seceda to the Alpe di Suis gondola (bus?).

The valley bus service is very efficient and I always use it as a 'fallback' when time is short...!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To get across Ortisei we took the we elevator down from the base station then used the Tunnel La Curta and then a few minutes walk to the Seise Alm lift. The tunnel has travelators (like in an airport) in it and escalators at the lower end.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It’s about a 300m walk across the town to the Seiser alm gondola, from the bottom of the Secada escalators. This season they are reinstating the run down into Ortesi below the Gondola, which should be good. Steep, north facing with snow making.
From Monte Pana there is a shuttle coach running on chained tyres through the forest. Quite fun really. There are some great places to eat around Seiser Alm and a huge amount of very easy skiing.
The Val Gardena ‘Ronda’ is a great trip not least for the variety of transport used - underground railway, Gondola, skis, escalators, travelators, cable car, feet, chairlifts, ‘snow’ bus…. snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richb67 wrote:
so we have a couple of weeks booked in Corvara this coming Feb. It will be our third trip to the SR area so we know our way around.

However we've never made it over to Seiser Alm and have read good things on here so I thought we'd take a look. We'll have a car so could drive over but I wondered what the options were for skiing over. We really like the run from the top of Seceda to Ortisei but IIRC when you reach the bottom there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to get across the valley to the Alpe di Suis gondola (or to the Resciesa lift).

so can you walk/bus/ski from the bottom of cable car at the bottom of the Seceda lift?

Yes you can walk from the bottom of the Seceda gondola to the main pedestrianised street area of Ortisei (it's downhill from the gondola base station) then cross the pedestrian footbridge across the river which brings you right to the Alpe di Suisi gondola lift. Madeye-Smiley I'm not sure why you're asking about the Resciesa lift (actually it's a funicular) because that's on the same side of the valley as Seceda and serves a toboggan run?

richb67 wrote:
The piste map seems to indicate a bus runs from Monte Pana to Seiser Alm, is this usable ? I can't find a timetable online, presumably because it only runs in winter so it would be good to know if it runs every 10 mins or twice a day Happy

The bus is very usable and I would highly recommend doing the journey. I refer to it as the Magical Mystery bus trip as the road is unmetalled and is a dirt track through the woods, in some places it's only just wide enough for the bus to get through! Toofy Grin If you get the Piz Sella cable car from Plan de Gralba then at the top you ski down and to the right you should see Monte Pana signposted. I posted a very short video clip of the bus ride in this thread: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133284&start=1720#3185888 There's a longer video of the trip by someone else posted on YouTube in this other thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120605#2766666
As I said in that first post the bus ride takes about 20 mins from Monte Pana to Saltria on the Alpe di Suisi/Seiseralm. Saltria is at one end of the plateau and from Saltria it takes about an hour using a combination of lifts to get to the top of the gondola that takes you down to Ortisei. The bus service is fairly frequent, from memory at least every hour, but it pays to get the timetable when it's published so that you get to Monte Pana without too long to wait. Of course the bus service operates in both directions (there are occasional passing places Laughing ) so it's possible to do the trip from Saltria to Monte Pana if you prefer.

Doing the trip in the direction I described I've often stopped for lunch in Ortisei. Once you've left the Alpe di Suisi gondola base station you can walk across the pedestrian bridge over the river I mentioned earlier towards the town centre and as soon as you reach the end of the bridge there's a nice restaurant on the right hand side called the Mauriz Keller Restaurant Pizzeria.

richb67 wrote:

or is it best to get a bus from val Gardena ? how about returning ?

As it's a fair way to get to the Alpe di Suisi if you're running a bit late or tired you can get a bus from the market place in Ortisei back to Selva, you have to buy tickets from a machine in the market place, just a few Euros.

richb67 wrote:
Finally, related question is it easy to get the Resciesa lift from the bottom of Seceda? do you just walk ?

thanks in advance,

ps I'm bored at work...

I've never actually been on the Resciesa funicular as it serves a toboggan run, but looking at the map it looks quite close to the base station of the Seceda gondola.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks everyone.

Looks like it's pretty straightforward to get from the bottom of Seceda, but based on the various descriptions above I'm not sure whether I'll be looking for a lift, an escalator, a tunnel or a bridge Happy

Good to know about the magical mystery tour bus.

re the Resciesa, I was sure I'd seen a piste joining the Seceda run and there is one marked on the piste map, maybe it isn't used every year or is more of a cut through.

It sounds like the kind of trip where my wife would be following behind saying "where the **** are we going!" Happy just like the first time we crossed the car park in St Cristina towards a tunnel in the side of a hill "This can't be the right way".

Totally OT but isn't that the place where there are sometimes goats on the roof of a bar ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"..Totally OT but isn't that the place where there are sometimes goats on the roof of a bar ?.."

There is a Goat at the car park, but not on the roof.

Are you thinking of the bar at bottom of Hidden Valley run and these 'puppies' ? snowHead

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
albob wrote:
"..Totally OT but isn't that the place where there are sometimes goats on the roof of a bar ?.."

There is a Goat at the car park, but not on the roof.

Are you thinking of the bar at bottom of Hidden Valley run and these 'puppies' ? snowHead

Lol, no there is definitely a bar around there where we have seen a goat on the roof, more than once. Maybe the one from the car park got adventurous.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Munching a Bin Liner.....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://www.seceda.it/en/info
Scroll down to the La Curta section.

We took the bus from Seiser Alm to Monte Pana, use the correct stop if you want a seat!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
resorted to speaking to my wife, who had taken a photo. I can't get it to load however found this on Powderhounds, same type of goat, same quite distinctive guttering... she's certain it's the bar at the bottom of Saslong, you walk past the bar on the way from the train to the lift

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albob wrote:

Munching a Bin Liner.....

that's the place !
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HutToHut wrote:
https://www.seceda.it/en/info
Scroll down to the La Curta section.

We took the bus from Seiser Alm to Monte Pana, use the correct stop if you want a seat!

fantastic, thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
See this thread for info on the Monte Pana forestry road bus.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@richb67, "It sounds like the kind of trip where my wife would be following behind saying "where the **** are we going!"

Especially for your wife

"From the bottom of Seceda, an underground connection of escalators called "La Curta" leads straight into the heart of Ortisei - follow the tunnel all the way. As you exit, keep walking straight until you reach the little church, then turn right and walk along the beautiful pedestrian area of Ortisei. After a few minutes, you'll reach an intersection at the pink Hotel Cavallino Bianco - turn left. After crossing a short pedestrian bridge, you'll reach the Alpe di Siusi valley station."

https://www.val-gardena.com/en/region/tours/detail/ski-circuit-val-gardena-ronda/
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:

I've never actually been on the Resciesa funicular as it serves a toboggan run, but looking at the map it looks quite close to the base station of the Seceda gondola.

The Rasciesa toboggan run is great fun.

I did it one afternoon with a group of friends about 15 years ago when it was a slow 2-man chair that served it. You could rent a sled at the bottom and it travelled up on the chair in front of you. Back then you had a 3km run of good gradient, long straights and tight hairpins, you got back on at the mid-station for another go. The run went further, another 2 km, but ended at a road that you could walk back to the base station. I guess you take the sled up in the train now and can ride back down from the mid station.

There is a restaurant at the top and on the subject of animals, they had a resident playful dog that followed us down the first length of the run
snow report
A few summers ago we were climbing on the Kleine Fermeda above St. Ulrich and we could hear oompah music from the town several kilometres away. After descending the Seceda cablecar we took a long series of moving pavements and a short walk to the centre of town where there was a beer festival in full swing. Almost the whole of the central square of the town was covered by a huge marquee. Lots of waiting staff in tradditional clothes and steins of beer at tressle tables. A nice town and with the moving pavements easy to get around.
snow report
That goat quite likes butting people as my mate Neil discovered Smile
ski holidays
Ghost Dog wrote:
That goat quite likes butting people as my mate Neil discovered Smile

Laughing The goat sounds a bit gruff! I bet watching that goat butting your mate gave you a chuckle.
latest report
You can get to the Monte Pana bus from the other side of the road, going on the back side of the Saslong run there's a long transition blue/green run that gets you eventually to Monte Pana. Then just take the bus. Word of warning about the bus: It can be a mob scene going back in the late afternoon, so just keep your cool.

But to be honest, if the weather is nice and the road is clear, I might just drive to Ortisei and park in the lot by the gondola. I think it would take you an hour and a half to get back to Corvara in the afternoon if you skied over via Dantercepies etc. And if the weather's nice you'd probably want to spend a full day up on the Seiser Alm.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy