Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti superski 2021/2

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like they will be opening this season albeit at 80% lift capacity and compulsory masks.
Details of the 11 new lifts and improvements to snowmaking and ski runs in the superdolomiti are here:

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/documents/PR/2021/PR%20Dolomiti%20Superski%20-%20Green%20Pass_New%20lifts%20and%20slopes%20and%20openings%20winter%202021-22.pdf

Looks like the 4.5km cinque Torri link from Cortina is complete. The sod Lisa (!) Chair at Colfosco has been replaced by an 8 person chair. Important new ski runs at the Pilat down to ortesi and on the line of the former cable car at danterceipes.

27th of November is the intended opening date and 4th December for the Sella Ronda, weather depending. The 4th December is incredibly early, most other interconnected areas may not have opened any lifts by then! No doubt they have cut the grass by now and are preparing their equipment Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 31-10-21 8:54; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like the sound of the link from Cortina to Cinque Torri. It should now be possible to travel from Arabba, spend a few hours in Cortina, and still get home comfortably.

All we need now is a ski run down from Cinque Torri to Pocol Very Happy

Likewise the new run down from Alp di Suisi. That will make a trip over to that area more enjoyable. Presumably, this will end at the bottom of the Cable car, or could it possibly run further into the village centre?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brianatab wrote:

All we need now is a ski run down from Cinque Torri to Pocol Very Happy

I realise you’re kidding but where’s Pocol?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"..but where’s Pocol.."

Cortina..

====

"Presumably, this will end at the bottom of the Cable car"

That's how it looked from what I remember of last years thread (the river in the middle of the village would not help either !! Wink )

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 2-10-21 12:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Red Leon, It's on the road from Cinque Torri to Cortina. It's the first point on the road you can access a ski run down, and the highest point up the road you can get a lift back to.

Had thought about getting an early start, then getting a bus from Lagazuoi down to Pocol to access the runs above Cortina, then the bus back up and Hidden valley home. This new lift could make that much easier, as wouldn't have to time the return based on bus times.

This may depend on whether the lift terminates at the lowest point of Cinque Torri, or extends up to the top of the pass, which would be more sensible.

Edit. I wasn't kidding. would be a great run if they could find a suitable route.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@brianatab, The new lift terminates at the lowest point of the Cinque Torri area

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/cortina-dampezzo/ski-lifts/l107308/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's a shame. You would have to allow time to do the Cinque Torri curcuit, which would reduce the time spent in Cortina.

However, the 14 minute trip on the Gondola should allow time to get down to Cortina for a few runs. If you forgo lunch ( I know some think that is akin to blasphemy), no reason why you shouldn't have a couple of hours there at least. Plenty of time to take in some of the black runs on this side of the valley.

Always thinking positive of new places to explore. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@brianatab, akin??!!! Evil or Very Mad
Don’t even think it!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brianatab wrote:
@Red Leon, It's on the road from Cinque Torri to Cortina.

Thanks. I misread it at first as Pecol which made no sense. It would be a Hell of a run, though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brianatab wrote:
That's a shame. You would have to allow time to do the Cinque Torri curcuit, which would reduce the time spent in Cortina.

It would be useful if the bus from Armentarola carried on a few km from the Funiva Lagazuoi car park to the Baita Bai De Dones. That would make Cortina a worthwhile day trip proposition.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There seems to be a few new lifts near Carezza. It might be interesting to get a bus from Canazei into this area.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jellylegs, The problem with the buses and taxis is that they are only licensed up to the pass from their own side. You have to get one from Armentarola, and then another one, from Cortina to go down the other side. I'm sure they would take the extra fare down. The problem would be finding the right one.

Now that we have a Gondola up from Cortina, it might make sense to add a chair from there to the cable car at Plan Falzarego. Maybe link it to the Lagazuoi run. This would make the hidden valley accessible from Cortina, without doing the Cinque Torri route first.

Maybe some of the taxis that would lose business to the gondola would make this run? Worth looking when you get there.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some images of the new Lift to Cinque Torres (top station Bai de Dones)

more there

https://www.funivie.org/cantieri/thumbnails.php?album=565
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masks will be compulsory? What about if you have a neck warmer on will that suffice over your mouth and nose?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@brianatab, a chair up to Lagazuoi sort of makes sense....except I think HV is crowded enough already and suspect said chair would make things worse by making it much easier to get to. I'd rather they save the money to update the Lagazuoi cable car, which looks every bit of its 34 years. I doubt they do guillotine doors anymore!

@albob, thanks for photo. I'm probably confused, but are we sure that's the top station? If so, what run is in the photo? I don't remember one there (maybe a new one, but from where?), and the bull wheel position confuses me as well. Regardless, this lift is a good add for them.
ski holidays
@Scooter in Seattle, According to the website I lifted the image from it is "Arrivo Bai de Dones" (doesn't mean it correct !!)

Looking at the Trail map there are two red pistes down to Bai, 11 and 14 (14 is marked as New..)
latest report
From the map, and the angle of the wheel. I looks like the gondola would approach from the left, via the concrete pillar positioned there. This would suggest that is the bottom of the red run from 5 Torri, but I don't recall it ending as straight as that. Maybe they have changed it so that it provides access to the Gondola to return to Cortina.

The original run may be in the foreground, which would continue round to the 5Torri lift, allowing access from the Gondola.

Hope they have upgraded that lift take the additional passengers. It would now need to take the minimum that the Gondola can, in order to avoid a huge bottlekneck at peak times. A number of other lifts in the area would also need upgrading.
snow conditions
Looks like it may be the bottom station.
Although it’s a 10 person gondola the capacity quoted is only 1,100 person per hour which is about the same as a tbar and half that of the 5 torri chair, so unlikely to be any significant problems. Presumably there will be long gaps between each of the cars ?
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:

It could still be the top station. The lift might head upwards before it starts descending into the valley. Presumably that lump of concrete to the left is for the first pylon, and that's the run down from Scoiattoli. I can't believe this lift be completed before the start of the 2021/2022 season?
snow conditions
Ah yes, that could be it.
snow report
@Peter S, You might be right about the gaps. 110 cars over 9km, 86m between cars. Longer than on most Gondolas. Maybe the overall weight on such a long cable is a factor.

The trail map is very misleading from the angle shown. It suggests that Pomedes is very close, and above Bal di Dones, but in reality it's a very long way.

The interactive map (link below trail map) is very useful. Gives a great perspective. Shows how a run on that route would be compromised by avalanche risk. The map even shows evidence of same.

Interestingly, if you zoom in, you can actually see ski tracks for off piste routes.
snow report
@albob, no worries, and I am relieved to see I am not the only one confused for a change. The piste in the photo looks really smooth so it being new is easy to believe.

It looks like the lift crosses the road. Thinking it through, I guess it has to.

I can't wait to ride it. Maybe March, if I can get there.
snow report
"From the map, and the angle of the wheel. I looks like the gondola would approach from the left, via the concrete pillar positioned there"

I believe brianatab is correct

The first few seconds of this video shows the layout of the site

https://www.rainews.it/tgr/trail/video/2021/08/tra-impianc-portamont-cortina-misurina-auronzo-san-vito-9fbd05a7-a091-4ffe-9b4c-d6f210ef04c0.html
snow conditions
am I the only one who'll be a bit sorry to see the new lift from Cortina to Cinque Torre? Only skied there once or twice but Cinque Torre was nice and quiet whilst HV is already busy enough. I understand why they've done it but it just seems a bit of a shame. Hidden valley won't be that hidden anymore, although from Cinque Torri to HV it looks like you'll still need to ski over towards Fedare and then up that old chairlift 'Croda Negra' causing a bottleneck or am I missing something ?

Nice to see the other upgrades though.

ps looks like its snowing at the top of Boe today
snow conditions
Snowing currently at Dantercepies in Val G.

Am looking forward to new black in that area. The black off to skier's right is one of the best runs in Val G and because of the orientation doesn't get as icy as the reds to the left.

The other new run from Alpe di Siusi down to Ortisei has been promised for a while (well, not "new" but maybe "re-opened" is more accurate) so we will see. Not sure it adds all that much to be honest as the cable car down isn't a hardship, and by late afternoon the run will probably be icy anyway...

I'd like to see more runs open on the Seceda formation, actually. I think in the past there might have been more, and that there was a lift in the Tubla area? But I could be wrong.
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Although it’s a 10 person gondola the capacity quoted is only 1,100 person per hour which is about the same as a tbar and half that of the 5 torri chair, so unlikely to be any significant problems. Presumably there will be long gaps between each of the cars ?

looks like its targeted for 1,800 but is just starting at 1,100
https://www.dovesciare.it/news/2020-04-02/cortina-la-nuova-cabinovia-leitner-che-colleghera-tofana-e-5-torri

presumably this is because 1,100 is around capacity of the other lifts around Cinque Torri, but that's just a guess on my part as other lifts around there seem to be 1,200 ppph
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/cortina-dampezzo/ski-lifts/
latest report
@Pasigal, wrote - "...I think in the past there might have been more, and that there was a lift in the Tubla area? But I could be wrong...2

There was a 'drag' on the far right as you look up to the top of Seceda ; Cuca, which is still marked on Google Maps ; Also, one up to the Juac hutte ( https://www.juac.it/en/history.asp ) from the Seceda home run - I think it enabled you to ski across to Tubla and then Selva..
ski holidays
albob wrote:
@Pasigal, wrote - "...I think in the past there might have been more, and that there was a lift in the Tubla area? But I could be wrong...2

There was a 'drag' on the far right as you look up to the top of Seceda ; Cuca, which is still marked on Google Maps ; Also, one up to the Juac hutte ( https://www.juac.it/en/history.asp ) from the Seceda home run - I think it enabled you to ski across to Tubla and then Selva..

That was it! At the Juac hut. I think one of the webcams is positioned on some old lift infrastructure.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bit more info on new lifts etc, including maps
https://www.dovesciare.it/quali-saranno-i-nuovi-impianti-di-sci-linverno-2021-2022
snow report
Ironically as the lift capacity on the Sella Ronda has increased (enormously) the skiable area has shrunk (quite considerably) since the 1980s . A lot of previously lift served terrain is only accessible on foot.
Today the skiing area is much more compact but a lot more reliable, perhaps one of the most reliable places to ski in the alps these days, thanks to its suitability for snowmaking.
The Pilat is the exception as this is the reopening of a previously closed run. And what a run it should be. North facing, 3 miles long and two and a half thousand feet of decent Cool
Last year of course was one of the best seasons for natural snow and good skiing weather in the last 20 years. Many of the former ski areas, such as the Jacs hut area were skiable on touring kit, which is perhaps even more frustrating.
latest report
Had a very quick run round Alp Di Suisi on my first BB, 4 years ago. Planned another on the last trip, but never made it due to strong winds closing lifts for a couple of days. Definitely on the list for this year. That new run down sounds epic.

Drop down from Plan de Gralba, short bus ride, 2-3 hours exploring, and return via Ortesei.

The only drawback is the return, as no direct ski route from Ortesei to Arabba.
(Shame there's no practical route from the top of Pila back to St Christina Sad )

Having taken the long run down from Sedeca, and then queued for over an hour to get back up, I don't recommend that route. rolling eyes
It's another couple of hours you could have spent in Alp Di Suisi.

Short stroll down to the town centre, and a bus back to St Christina or Selva solves the problem. Taxi from bottom of lift/run may be available. May depend on numbers in group (usually max 6/taxi)
ski holidays
Any chance we can get the thread title amended to at least get the 'Dolomiti' bit spelled correctly, it's going to annoy me all season!! snowHead

It was always 'Sella Ronda' or 'Dolomites' in previous years. 'Dolomiti Superski' is good if you want the official local name of the lift consortium, but it does exclude the resorts of the Brenta Dolomites like Madonna di Campiglio.

It's never been known anywhere as 'Superdolomti' Puzzled
snow conditions
luigi wrote:
Any chance we can get the thread title amended to at least get the 'Dolomiti' bit spelled correctly, it's going to annoy me all season!! snowHead

It was always 'Sella Ronda' or 'Dolomites' in previous years. 'Dolomiti Superski' is good if you want the official local name of the lift consortium, but it does exclude the resorts of the Brenta Dolomites like Madonna di Campiglio.

It's never been known anywhere as 'Superdolomti' Puzzled

Noooooo! I really quite like the sound of “Superdolomti” Toofy Grin
latest report
Can anyone recommend good restaurants in Selva for our festive dinners over the Christmas week? Figuring we probably need to book now, at least for the 24th/25th evening meals ?
snow report
"..Any chance we can get the thread title amended.." -- that would be down to the thread starter @Peter S, (who can edit their own posts), unless a 'Mod' decides to do it.

========

The Armin hotel has a very good restaurant/grill at the side of the Hotel (open to non-residents)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 27-10-21 11:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
albob wrote:
"The Armin hotel has a very good restaurant/grill at the side of the Hotel (open to non-residents)

A second vote for the Armin. Some years ago I stayed at the hotel and the festive dinners over Christmas week were excellent. Restaurant open to non residents I believe. https://www.hotelarmin.com/en/armins-grillstube.html
snow report
Pejoli wrote:
Can anyone recommend good restaurants in Selva for our festive dinners over the Christmas week? Figuring we probably need to book now, at least for the 24th/25th evening meals ?

La bula has always been good
https://www.la-bula.com/Eng/index.html

We are staying in Hotel Tyrol - food there is excellent and and they also have a very posh restaurant (we never tried it as the kids were smaller and wasn’t really for them)
https://www.tyrolhotel.it/en/suinsom.htm
ski holidays
Anyone hoping to go to Arabba in December, Superdolomitie are offering discounts on accommodation and lift passes. 4=3.

Just got details by email, but it won't let me post the link without including my email.

Try this link.
https://www.arabba.it/en/facilities-gastronomy/offers-packages/offers/54-0.html?utm_source=NL-ARABBA.IT&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_term=NL-2021-10-27&utm_campaign=NL-ARABBA.IT
ski holidays
In a different thread I mentioned I was checking on the status of accessing the lifts with just an Italian green pass (one jab only required) - the suedtirol websites were a bit ambiguous on whether that would suffice, or a full eu Covid certificate would be required (so not so good for uk teenagers). But here’s the response I’ve just got back confirming it’s just a green pass, which is great news.

———
Dear <pejoli>

Thank you for your kind request and your interest in our city. Hereby I kindly inform you that for using the ski lifts it is required the Green Pass, that you have automatically after the first vaccination.
More information are available on the following webpage https://www.suedtirol.info/en/information/coronavirus/green-pass

To discover more about Bolzano please visit our website: www.bolzano-bozen.it

We remain at your disposal for any further information you should need.
Thanks, and best regards from Bolzano, the gateway to the Dolomites
snow conditions
I’m loving’ the new thread title. Cue for a Beachboys song…?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy