Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti superski 2021/2

Poster: A snowHead
Heading to Selva TOMORROW, with 16 year old son for a weeks skiing. I’ve tried to double check everything I can and I think we are all good, with one exception…. I know the pharmacy in Selva is doing antigen tests, which we should only need 48hrs prior to returning home as prove of negativity and fit to fly. My question is, does anybody know if they can deliver that (hopeful) negative test result in a format suitable for UK PLF and checking in at Innsbruck airport?

I’ve tried emailing and calling the pharmacy but not making much progress.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jcosh, sorry, I don’t know. Inghams have advised buying and taking tests - but that may not help you in time, I appreciate. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere on here that they are accepted though.

Would you mind posting your experience on the ground when you get there - particularly interested if you can convince the lift office to activate the lift pass each day with your sons single qr code (to avoid bi-daily testing). And if they’ll let you in restaurants / eating places on the mountain with the same approach.

What testing protocol are you following for flying to Innsbruck (we’re doing the same) - Inghams have advised we have to follow both Austrian and Italian, and suggest this means a 72 hour PCR test for our 16 year old.

We’re hopefully out the following week of the 20th, government announcements permitting …
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jcosh, Just a thought - you might be able to buy a test at the airport on the way out ? (if not, they are missing a trick..)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jcosh, do let us know how you get along. If you can buy an antigen test then that is great, but here in Ireland we need an offical antigen test , ie one done by a pharmacy or medical company. rolling eyes . Also how the lift passes works, please tell us that you don't have to scan your QR code at every lift, but that you can put it on the pass itself save faffing about with the phone ever few minuites.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@biddpyat, for dolomites, it’s a once a day task where you scan your qr code into their app (either your Covid pass, or the test result qr code), and it releases the pass for that day. Problem is if you don’t have a qr code that will validate. I’m hoping there’s a manual option of going to the kiosk, and them accepting my daughters single jab qr code. Failing that, it’s a test every other day to get the code (but that options off the table if the region goes orange).
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Plan-ski-holiday/Green%20Pass
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
According to this list Val Gardena is still top in terms of open slopes and lifts, at this early stage of the season. The Alta Badia and Kronplatz also appear on the first page. Cool

https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/europe/sorted/open-slopes/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are we currently required to take a test before landing in Italy? Just a generic PCR?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PCR or Antigen - but I would check just what your airline requires as well

For fully vacced

".If you travel from the UK and can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated, you can enter Italy without needing to self-isolate if you also:

fill in the passenger locator form (EU PLF) before you enter Italy to get a QR code to show to your travel provider and Border Police. You can ask for paper form if you do not have an electronic device
show evidence of a negative PCR or antigen test, taken within 48 hours before entering Italy.."
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Antigen being a LTF?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Amongst the lift connected sella Ronda area there are currently 174 lifts and 333kms of runs open with a further 165 kms available in nearby Kronplatz and Cortina Shocked

The Dolomites are well on their way to a full house by Christmas. Today there was a total of 349 lifts running and 1153kms of runs open in the Superski area Cool
https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c4853/

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 15-12-21 22:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albob wrote:
PCR or Antigen - but I would check just what your airline requires as well

For fully vacced

".If you travel from the UK and can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated, you can enter Italy without needing to self-isolate if you also:

fill in the passenger locator form (EU PLF) before you enter Italy to get a QR code to show to your travel provider and Border Police. You can ask for paper form if you do not have an electronic device
show evidence of a negative PCR or antigen test, taken within 48 hours before entering Italy.."

Rules have changed slightly as of yesterday, from 16th December LFT needs to be taken within 24 hours of departure, full details below:

https://www.thelocal.it/20211215/travel-italy-brings-back-covid-testing-requirement-for-all-eu-arrivals/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The eastern side of the Alps appear to be in a cool flow of air. Freezing level gradually dropping back next week and probably cold enough from tomorrow to start making snow on some slopes, if necessary. Weather remains perfect for skiing except for quite a strong breeze at altitude. Plenty of skiers showing up on their webcams so they should be making some money which will be a relief after last year. The outlook looks settled until after Christmas.

https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c973/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pejoli wrote:
Jcosh wrote:
Jakebarton wrote:
@Matrix
I recommend you take a look at the regs around the new ‘Super Green Pass’ that is being introduced from the 7th of Dec.
If you have 12-15 year old kids you will need to be able to show proof of their (single dose) vaccination in a QR format to access lifts/ restaurants etc. Right now the NHS App doesn’t allow for this and for this reason we are likely going to have to cancel our upcoming trip.

Do you know if a single dose for a 16 year old will be sufficient for a Super Green Pass post Dec 7th?

No one knows yet - the official regs haven’t been published. So far it’s just journos reporting.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Travelling to Val di Fassa with a 12 year old. Does anyone know how long the queues are to get the LF tests which are required every 48 hours. Also, is accessing the lifts a problem? How do they show their 'green pass' status etc? Are there any lifts which aren't accessible because they're not jabbed? Thanks in advance
snow report
@Lorna, Welcome

see the video posted by 'olderscot' on page 4 : He explains how the green pass works (you can get English subtitles from the 'settings' menu)

No Green pass needed for button lifts or chair lifts without a cover.

Not sure about the rest of you questions

This page might help

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Plan-ski-holiday/Green%20Pass

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-12-21 16:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Many thanks!
snow report
OK. I’m nearly a week into skiing in Selva with my single vaccinated 16 year old and can report the following:

Wear a mask! It’s a pain but only needed in closed lifts. Some lift attendants are very strict, others less so.

All was well with the Green Pass for my son for the first few days until something changed and we could no longer validate his ski pass (this is done daily ahead of going skiing). I went to the lift pass office in Selva (big queues) and they couldn’t have been more unhelpful, basically telling me to go away and get a test. I then showed they the QR code for my son was Green on the VerififcaC19 App and they eventually validated his pass (reluctantly) for that’s day. The following day his NHS QR code stopped working altogether and we could not validate his ski pass at all. Luckily our hotel owner had a word with somebody he knows at the lift office (different office) to validate his pass without an Antigen test. That got us skiing that day. From then on its been 48hr Antigen tests at the pharmacy in Selva. They are very easy and cheap but they’re do not offer them during all of their opening hours so it is a bit of lottery as to when they they are doing them. There is another test centre further down the road that has to be booked online to get an appointment.

This lot has added a good deal of anxiety and has cost us time and few euros to sort. All of which I thought was sorted before we departed. So forget about the NHS app for any kids who aren’t double jabbed as it won’t work. It’s now either two jabs or Antigen test or no skiing for kids. And what every happens don't catch Covid whilst you are here.

I doubled checked everything ahead of departure and it didn’t go as planned so be prepared for whatever you think is accurate ahead of arrival here to change and you’ll have to manage accordingly.

On a more positive note the skiing has been great so far with superb weather, fairly quiet pistes and good snow conditions. Although it feels a little busier than the previous time (2019) I skied here just before Christmas. With France closing its boarders to the UK, I wonder if will get busier or maybe people will just through the towel in and can their ski plans again this season.
snow report
The connected Sella Ronda ski area is reporting 191 lifts operational and 287kms of runs open this morning. There is still 120 kms left to open and Kronplatz and nearby Cortina are now largely complete.
The weather looks to be cool with light winds and sunshine, perfect for skiing and for slope management. Most runs have now been prepared and they are reporting an average piste depth of 74 cms on the upper slopes and 50 cms in the valley.

The outlook is remaining cool and sunny and then possibly becoming more unsettled by the weekend with a bit of snow possible after Christmas. The skiing looks great on the webcams and the snow should be good in the dry air.

https://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/c15198/
snow report
I notice that the reinstated 4km Pilat run is now open down to St Ullrich. This completes the ‘Gardena Ronda’ circuit. Anyone skied it yet? What’s it like? It should be good with the north facing aspect ?

You can see it zig zagging down in this webcam shot
https://www.bergfex.com/groeden-sankt-ulrich/webcams/c15257/
ski holidays
Probably a bit late - but the Val Gardena downhill starts shortly... Smile
snow report
Reading and re-reading the green pass rules can I check that my interpretation is right:

Non vaccinated: can use lifts with 48 hourly testing as long as area stays white or yellow. No indoor restaurants except at the hotel we are staying in?

Obviously this could change before Feb half term…but I’m so desperate to be there! It will be exactly 2 years at that point….can’t wait!
ski holidays
@Petra, Still time to get both jabs before Feb half term?

No time for anybody unvaccinated whinging if the rules change and they can't enjoy the holiday.

Personally, I'd prefer not to travel, eat near, or ski with anybody not vaccinated except on medical grounds.

In the current environment, anybody within that exemption group would be very unwise to travel anyway.
ski holidays
@Peter S, Looks like a great run. Would just finish off a trip round Alp di Siusi nicely on the BB.

With luck, should be able to ski right down to the village for the bus back to St Chritina.
ski holidays
Sorry should have been clearer to prevent unnecessary abuse…by unvaccinated I meant single vaccinated teen who can’t get second jab before half term and can’t prove it with the nhs app anyway. Unvaccinated is shorter.
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
I notice that the reinstated 4km Pilat run is now open down to St Ullrich. This completes the ‘Gardena Ronda’ circuit. Anyone skied it yet? What’s it like? It should be good with the north facing aspect ?

Having just checked a map, I didn't realise that St. Christina was on the SR route. I would've sworn that it went through Selva and no further down the VG valley. Maybe they've stretched it recently? I've only been visiting for 22 years. Razz
snow conditions
@Petra, apologies if I took it the wrong way due the the wording. Many people having problems with single vaxed teenagers. Suggest you just keep an eye on the relevant threads for latest updates as the situation is constantly changing.
latest report
@Lorna second vaccinations are now being done for over 12s. They need to be at least 12 weeks after the first and if they test positive for covid then they need to wait 12 weeks after that too. So it doesn't help much if your travel dates are before the end of that 12 week period.

@Petra You can now request a letter to use instead of the NHS App. See the Children section at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-covid-pass. Unfortunately the letter doesn't include a QR code, which might cause arguments when you try to actually use it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mollerski wrote:
Peter S wrote:

Having just checked a map, I didn't realise that St. Christina was on the SR route. I would've sworn that it went through Selva and no further down the VG valley. Maybe they've stretched it recently? I've only been visiting for 22 years. Razz

St. Christina is not part of the actual 'Sella Ronda' - it is just a starting (or feeder) point ; bit like San Cassiano or Canazei
latest report
I’m hoping that an official letter will be treated the same way as they are handling other countries which don’t have QR codes…or that the nhs app will get updated….
latest report
Quote:

Having just checked a map, I didn't realise that St. Christina was on the SR route. I would've sworn that it went through Selva and no further down the VG valley.

Sorry for the confusion. The Gardena ‘Ronda’ is the name I’ve heard given to the St Ulrich - Seceda - St Christina - Alp de Suisa- circuit. snowHead
latest report
'We' are having a clear out at home, so to save it from the bin or charity shop if anyone wants a fairly recent edition of the Valli Ladine e Sellaronda Tabacco 1:25.000-1:50.000 map just pm me your address and I will send it. Not worried about the cost of a stamp. Sorry, my generosity only extends to UK postage.....*edit* now taken

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 21-12-21 19:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Peter S, we have just returned from Selva, conditions were excellent, and we couldn't wait to try the new Pilat run to Ortisei.
It is a pretty red run on some of the bends, a little scraped on some of the steeper corners, but they are short drops, and it was very shaded and later in the day the light became a little flat.
It is a great end of day run, through the trees with awesome views into the valley, and comes out in the bus pickup area of the gondola station.
We did have a few amusing moments at the carpark area as the last few meters are quite steep and speed control seemed a problem as a few skiers shot into the turning area of the buses, we have to take our pleasures where we can get them Toofy Grin
latest report
@Bartezki,
Great stuff. So jealous. Not going out there this year Sad

The Sella Ronda resorts are approaching full opening. Cold with some snowmaking back on.

Today they are reporting 407kms of skiing and 199 lifts open. Nearby Kronplatz is 94% open. The total for the Superski area is 1318kms of runs now open.

The next milestone is the Great War tour which is scheduled to open on Boxing Day. Warming up at the weekend with a bit of new snow over the tops.

Anyone skied the new Dantrecepies run yet ?
https://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/c15195/
ski holidays
@Jakebarton, thank you a couple of pages a go. (And Peter for advice others too thank you). We actually managed to ski I. Austria and just back. The whole green pass for 12+ was a lot of worry given regular PcR testing. We won’t ski again until double jabbed now and hope they don’t insist on 12+ having a booster!

I would still like to get to Italy in March and thinking Canazei or Arraba to get access to the steeper sections. Fingers crossed.
snow report
@Jcosh, we came through INN. Staff at check-in looked carefully at the antigen certificate to check it said Negative and the date! Not much else though. German or English are the acceptable languages I guess for the INN staff. No one actually checked when we landed in London though.
snow conditions
Anyone know if the single Johnson & Johnson shot will cause me any troubles getting on the lift? Has anyone received that and had any trouble with the QR code? I also have a single Pfizer jab as a booster.
ski holidays
@Alchemist, try downloading the verifaC19 app. You can test your QR certificates. If they get the green tick, then all you have to do is download a new one that is valid until your return.
snow conditions
A little Val Gardena trivia that some of you may or not know, Giorgio Moroder, the 'Father of Disco' and electronic music pioneer is from Ortisei. If you look around the village, you see several Moroder name shop owners. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Great factoid about Moroder Cool

There is a breeze at altitude today but the visibility is good . The Great War itinerary is still not open but the Superski area is reporting 432 lifts and 1449kms operational today which is almost everything now open and running. Busy at Kronplatz and Seceda this morning:

https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c15328/

https://www.bergfex.com/groeden-sankt-ulrich/webcams/c15142/

You can see on the radar that the heavy precipitation in the west is not reaching the south eastern side of the alps. The Dolomites are well protected from the rain and moist air which is saturating the snow further west. Next week when the temperature drops back below freezing the Sella Ronda pistes should still be dry enough for enjoyable skiing and should avoid becoming icy.

https://meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy