Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a ski that's rock solid in a straight line.

Poster: A snowHead
I've not skied any of those sorry. In fact the only skis I've ever owned are the Mantras and before that some Rossignol Bandits, so my field of experience is quite narrow. I rented some Head Supershapes for a day when on a snowboarding holiday a few years back and I remember liking the way they turned, but I never went near any rough snow on them, and I can't recall which model they were, so I can't really say much about them.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
greengriff wrote:
I've not skied any of those sorry. In fact the only skis I've ever owned are the Mantras and before that some Rossignol Bandits, so my field of experience is quite narrow. I rented some Head Supershapes for a day when on a snowboarding holiday a few years back and I remember liking the way they turned, but I never went near any rough snow on them, and I can't recall which model they were, so I can't really say much about them.

No need to be sorry.

FWIW. I think you should try a variety of skis, from Playful to Damp and see what you think. Technology is making skis lighter, yet torsionally stiff. It might surprise you what you will find.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You know what, maybe I should. Just looking at the range of all mountain skis around about 90mm is headache inducing as there are so many options! Some are for sale at bargain prices at the moment but it would be silly to buy without trying. I had a fixed idea about what I was after, but maybe I'm wrong!? I'm not exactly unhappy with my Mantras (I love them in fact), but doing some more in depth reading (I've spent/wasted the entire evening so far) makes me wonder even if they were the right ski for me! Ho hum!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You know what, maybe I should. Just looking at the range of all mountain skis around about 90mm is headache inducing as there are so many options! Some are for sale at bargain prices at the moment but it would be silly to buy without trying. I had a fixed idea about what I was after, but maybe I'm wrong!? I'm not exactly unhappy with my Mantras (I love them in fact), but doing some more in depth reading (I've spent/wasted the entire evening so far) makes me wonder even if they were the right ski for me! Ho hum!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
greengriff wrote:

If this thread has made you question your goals and re-evaluate what's out there - then it's been very worthwhile.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well if big stiff straight planks turn out to be your thing, I have some 194cm Dynastar Legend Pro XXLs gathering dust and looking for a loving owner. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@greengriff,
Quote:

I've not skied any of those sorry.

@Old Fartbag, have you?

Anyway,
Quote:

FWIW. I think you should try a variety of skis,

This. When we replaced our Mantras we tried 5 or 6 models, all with very similar geometries on paper, all would have been absolutely fine if no alternative, but the detailed "do I really like these?" answers were profoundly different.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Perhaps another thought altogether might be to keep the Mantras. They are a solid allrounder.
Watch snowboarders, they rarely are running totally flat. On my big rockered skis, that's what I tend to do too - just always slightly on an edge.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are a LOT of options in that niche, and to be honest all of them that I've read have either been described by the manufacturer, or by reviewers, in ways that make them sound like they'd be simply perfect for me lol. I'm one of those people who benefits from less choice - i.e, if there's one option I'll take it and be happy, but if there're twenty, I'll spend my life dithering, comparing and re-comparing, eventually be pressured to take the plunge, and then spend the rest of time wondering of one of the others would have actually been better! Paralysis by analysis. Anyway, as has been said by more than one of you, trying before buying is the way ahead. That being said, the Atomic Vantage Ti 90 is a good price and sounds really like what I'm looking for... Laughing As does the Kastle MX88, the Brahma, The Elan Ripstick, The Dynastar M-Pro, The Fischer Ranger 92, The DPS Pagoda, The Head Kore, The Liberty Evolve 90, The Enforcer 88, The Rossi Experience 92, The K2 Mindbender, The Volkl Kendo 88, The Stockli Stormrider 88, and The Salomon Stance 90!!!!! I mean that is a simply Be Nice please! ridiculous amount of options. It's going to take a long holiday and a lot of cash to rent all of those for a day each Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 9-03-21 9:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
...and if that edging thing doesn't work out, and you still want the biggest, baddest, stiffest skis, go with @Arno's Legends, or try and rustle up some mk1 Whitedot Ragnaroks Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 9-03-21 9:33; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth wrote:
Perhaps another thought altogether might be to keep the Mantras. They are a solid allrounder.
Watch snowboarders, they rarely are running totally flat. On my big rockered skis, that's what I tend to do too - just always slightly on an edge.

As, in reality, I have no way explored the limits of what that fantastic ski can do, that is by far the most sensible suggestion, both financially and in terms of conserving time and energy. Which means I'll probably end up not doing it! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It sounds to me like trying out the Kastle MX83/84/88/89 would be wothwhile. No real upper limit on piste, handles all difficult surfaces with relative ease. The compromise is a lack of float in soft powder. The FX95/96 is more oriented towards powder.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, I own the Scots and have tried Atomic, Rossignol and Blizzard - but it's not me that is looking for skis. If you read enough reviews, certain common characteristics that come across, allow you to get enough of an idea of various skis, to recommend a list for others to try.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Fartbag, I was teasing.

But, I think reviews often only really give you a good idea of the reviews the reviewer has read.

best is try.

2nd best have someone knowledgeable you've skied with recommend.

then you are kinda down to ... well, it's hard these days to find a bad ski. Although, I would not really thank you for a pair of mk1 Elan Ripstick 96s...
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I was teasing.

But, I think reviews only really give you a good idea of the reviews the reviewer has read.

Yup - which is why you need to read multiple reviews to build up a picture - and where you see a common theme/description appearing across many of them, it gives an idea of what the ski may be like.

For example - you won't find many reviews saying Scott The Ski is a damp, hard charging ski, that is hard to pilot - or that the Brahma is a light playful ski, that's a bit flappy at speed.

If I lived in the Alps, I would extensively test skis before deciding. In my case, reality means I don't want to spend my week testing skis and then pay nearly full price for them - and that's if I can find what I'm looking for. Scott for example, are not that readily available.

I have bought most of my skis from reviews - and been delighted with every one, which very much matched how they were described (Volkl Renntiger/VP19 SLX; Salomon F9 3s/X Scream Series; Atomic Beta Ride 11.20/SL11; Scott The Ski; Dynastar SZ 12 Ti). If buying skis like this, you need to get good at assessing skis from research.

The only time I got it wrong, was where I rang up the SCGB and went with what that individual suggested (Lange SLS) - with no research whatsoever.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 9-03-21 14:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
The same applies to anything really; learning how to interpret estate agent's speak or travel agent's, car reviews, film reviews, hifi, ski reviews. It's not an alien concept. And in all cases, try before you buy if you can.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, I do have to say that I really would like to try some Scotts as the across the board opinions seem always very positive.

Actually, I may have had a brief ski on a pair of Superguides and iirc and am correct in that they were very good, especially as the shop reckoned they would be too short (but had nothing else that they thought I'd like). I'm now trying to pin down the event in my head ...

The only time I got it badly wrong (I won't name the company) but they are a small, niche, hand made ish brand and cleary the owner who is ex Canada DH squad and built like a brick poop house reckoned everyone else was carrying his build and should build skis for that sort of frame only.

Needless, Mrs U and I at 60kgs or less ... Nope. No chance. Hideous. Of course, I'd only suggested we buy them as they had clear lacquer spruce top coats with no graphics and were absolutely gorgeous.
ski holidays
@under a new name, I have Scott Scrappers and Blizzard Cochises. If I'd got the Scotts first, I don't think I'd have felt the need for the Blizzards. The Blizzards are a bit burlier but I'm not sure I really use their top end very often. There is something nice about a heavy ski with a lot of metal in it though...
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I do have to say that I really would like to try some Scotts as the across the board opinions seem always very positive.

Actually, I may have had a brief ski on a pair of Superguides and iirc and am correct in that they were very good, especially as the shop reckoned they would be too short (but had nothing else that they thought I'd like). I'm now trying to pin down the event in my head ...

The only time I got it badly wrong (I won't name the company) but they are a small, niche, hand made ish brand and cleary the owner who is ex Canada DH squad and built like a brick poop house reckoned everyone else was carrying his build and should build skis for that sort of frame only.

Needless, Mrs U and I at 60kgs or less ... Nope. No chance. Hideous. Of course, I'd only suggested we buy them as they had clear lacquer spruce top coats with no graphics and were absolutely gorgeous.

If you like the hard charging Blizzards, they may not be for you.

I chose them, as I only get 1 week per year and want something fun, versatile and forgiving. If my experience is anything to go by - and you do get to try them - go longer than you would on Blizzards. I would recommend 180 for The Ski or the Slight 93.

They do everything well - and are one of the easiest skis in moguls I have tried (every little helps).....and skiing them long, gives decent float as well as decent edge grip.

Let me know if you do get to try them.
latest report
I recently added a Nordica Enforcer Free 104 in 179cm length to my quiver. It is a double metal construction with a lot of rocker but pretty heavy, I've hit 90kph on the womens GS downhill course at Zauchensee on them with not a hint of chatter. They have a 17.5m radius and will carve fairly aggressively on hard pistes but obviously they are better suited to off piste fun. I also sometimes ski race sponsored GS skis which are pretty demanding at my lower level of technique and leg strength so I know what a really full on ski can do. I have recently been leaving my slalom skis at home more and taking the Nordicas out and I am not losing much in the way of piste fun.
latest report
@stuarth, I demo'd the Ragnaroks back in 2015 (prob not mk1s) which were my second best fat ski behind the Bents. Amazingly bouncy and quick in slushy bumps but what chargers they were when you let them rip Laughing
latest report
I'll add my weight (intentional) to Blizzard Bonafides. I'm no lightweight and they're fine off-piste (even though I got a too short for me pair) and you can honk around on them on-piste. They also have some 'life' to them. I hate 'dead' skis, in my experience e.g. K2s.
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
@stuarth, I demo'd the Ragnaroks back in 2015 (prob not mk1s) which were my second best fat ski behind the Bents. Amazingly bouncy and quick in slushy bumps but what chargers they were when you let them rip Laughing

Yeah, mk2's are quite different Madeye-Smiley .
The Mk1's were a bit scary - very stiff and you had to be really on it all the time which was a bit exhausting. I ended up selling them to a race coach who thought they were awesome (he liked going fast/big everywhere!)
I now have the mk2 Ragnarok CLs and they are excellent and though can really charge, I don't feel like they are going to kill me. snowHead
ski holidays
@stuarth, Yeah, the EOSB demo I did showed them to be tamable and pretty good fun. I'm 76kg and 176cm height so I need something that I can work with and not fight against too much. Tell you what though, check out the new Nordica Enforcer Free in 115mm. I just bought the 104s as an all round ski and they are damned nice stiff chargers on the edge but pretty nifty in the forests and off piste.
latest report
Arno wrote:
Well if big stiff straight planks turn out to be your thing, I have some 194cm Dynastar Legend Pro XXLs gathering dust and looking for a loving owner. Toofy Grin

Those or stockli DP Pros sound just the ticket!
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
@stuarth, Yeah, the EOSB demo I did showed them to be tamable and pretty good fun. I'm 76kg and 176cm height so I need something that I can work with and not fight against too much. Tell you what though, check out the new Nordica Enforcer Free in 115mm. I just bought the 104s as an all round ski and they are damned nice stiff chargers on the edge but pretty nifty in the forests and off piste.

Did you try redeemers? WOuld have thought they were MORE similar to the Bents
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:

Did you try redeemers? WOuld have thought they were MORE similar to the Bents
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, Didn't get to ride the Redeemers I'm afraid.
ski holidays
Quote:

stockli DP Pros

@jedster, so I reckon Mantras (pre rocker) were like fat, damped GS skis.

The Bonafides are a bit more like fat, damped SG skis (enough edge/pressure they turn pretty sharpish, but still).

The DP Pros??? Good lord. Very Fat, damped DHs. In fact, more DH than some of the DHs I've been thrown off of. An utterly bonkers but delightful and lovable ski.
snow report
Ride the edges more and don't sit on the bases flat. If you let them run the largest arcs you possibly can from one side of the piste to the other it's almost as fast as straight-lining, will help improve technique, looks oh-so much cooler, isn't squirrely or wobbly, and gives much better sensations throughout ! Can be done on almost any ski, if your touch is good, but easiest on something with a 20m or more turn radius though.
latest report
greengriff wrote:
I'm also quite light, but have found that I vastly prefer stiffer skis (and snowboards), in spite of them taking much more effort and energy out of me during a day's skiing. I just feel that much more 'connected' and 'locked in' on stiffer skis, if that makes any sense? And the extra spent calories keeps me slim wink.

I have friends that go freaking fast on skis that are no stiffer than spaghetti, and don't seem in the least bit bothered, but I'm not one of those people. I also only like to take one pair with me on a holiday, which forces a compromise.

I totally have to agree with you here, and it's good to find someone with the exact same feelings as me! Although I'm not a fantastic skier by any means, I have always preferred a heavier, stiffer ski for just the reasons you describe. And yes, just like you, I have tried much much lighter and flimsier skis, and the just make me feel so unstable and unsafe.

My current ski is the Salomon S-Max Blast, and they are fantastic. You can really put your foot down, and the remain rock solid; but they are still quite easy to handle. I brought them because of the online reviews from the pros when they were first released. But note they pretty mainly a on-piste ski.

But others here are far more experienced than myself; and I would look to their recommendations first. snowHead
latest report
@under a new name, I think you need to try my XXLs and then post a comparison with the DP Pros Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Poogle wrote:

I totally have to agree with you here, and it's good to find someone with the exact same feelings as me! Although I'm not a fantastic skier by any means, I have always preferred a heavier, stiffer ski for just the reasons you describe. And yes, just like you, I have tried much much lighter and flimsier skis, and the just make me feel so unstable and unsafe.

My current ski is the Salomon S-Max Blast, and they are fantastic. You can really put your foot down, and the remain rock solid; but they are still quite easy to handle. I brought them because of the online reviews from the pros when they were first released. But note they pretty mainly a on-piste ski.

But others here are far more experienced than myself; and I would look to their recommendations first. snowHead

IME. There are skis, that are stable, yet still have enough of a fun factor, to work nicely for a light skier. I found that with Head Magnums. I also have never been on a "planky" Atomic, Salomon, Dynastar or Rossignol.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, I have been on a planky Atomic...
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I have been on a planky Atomic...

30 years ago? Razz

My experience is a bit out of date, as it relates to the Beta Construction days ie. Beta Ride 11.20 (GS levels of stability, yet very manageable); SL11 (very versatile, fun and powerful Slalom ski).
snow report
@Old Fartbag, longer! 1990 Arc «  Bionic » Slalom. Hideous.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, longer! 1990 Arc «  Bionic » Slalom. Hideous.

Come on - I was 1 year out! Toofy Grin

I was thinking it might be the Arcs.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, I first skied age 4 in 1970 Shocked Shocked
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I first skied age 4 in 1970 Shocked Shocked

2 years before me (I was 12).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy