Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
I just checked and mine says that too. But when I took my husband's phone and opened TAC Verif, went into the scanner and scanned my QR code inside the wallet, I got a Valide and green tick instead of Non Valide which I had before.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah - just downloaded tous anti covid verif app and both the code on my NHS cert and the one in the tous anti covid wallet come up as “valide”.

Smashing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like progress is made with recognising the NHS Covid Pass. Excellent. One more small step forwards.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skitow wrote:
LaForet wrote:
homphomp wrote:
@swskier, you'll need UK not GB on your plates.....not sure what date that kicks in though

According to newspaper reports and the RAC, the UK rubric comes in on September 28. I've put my original plain, no-stripe plates back on and use a white sticker, replacing GB with UK after 28.9

These have always worked before, has anything changed ? Cool

These were never valid. But if you also had the standard large black-on-white (GB) sticker on the back, then that would have covered you anyway. Only the latter is valid in Switzerland and Spain in any event. Presumably to be superceded by (UK).

Of course, in reality, French and Swiss police don't seem to enforce the whole sticker thing. Around the F:CH border, I see lots of cars from the adjacent country without stickers.

There's a standard for the sticker*: Basically, it has to be a larger-style oval with black 'GB' (soon to be 'UK') capital Latin letters on a white background. Minimum dimensions are W:215mm x H:175mm (7"x4½"). None of those dinky small blue 'GB' stickers etc. And only one country code can be formally registered, so a black-on-white (CYM) isn't valid. If you have the sticker, then you can have a plain number plate, without any rubric on the left.

The standard for the number plate is the same country code (GB, to be replaced by UK) on a blue stripe on the left with whatever flag you want above it, but the flag isn't mandatory. You can have any text along the bottom (where the garage usually puts their name) and there's an optional reference code for the conformance standard. According to the Gov.UK website the format below is accepted by the EU, other than in Spain, Cyprus and Malta i.e. 'If your number plate includes the GB identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack), you do not need a GB sticker.' :

*The Vienna Convention 1968 Annex #64:

1. The distinguishing sign shall be composed of one to three letters in capital Latin characters. The letters shall have a minimum height of 80mm (3.1 in.) and their strokes a width of 10 mm (0.4 in.) The letters shall be painted in black on a white background of elliptical form with the major axis horizontal.

2. If the distinguishing sign is composed of three letters, the dimensions of the ellipse shall be at least 240 mm (9.4 in.) in width and 145 mm (5.7 in.) in height. The dimensions may be reduced to 215 mm (6.9 in.) in width and 175 mm (4.5 in.) in height if the sign carries less than three letters.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 4-08-21 21:07; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LaForet, Yes, you are correct, they never were valid outside the UK as I understand.

No I have never had anything else and have been stopped by Swiss, Austrian, Italian, and Slovenian border guards / police who never had a problem with them, although the Swiss did go back into their office to confer. Was also stopped by French police and had a good conversation about rugby, about which I know very little to be honest. Laughing

I admit though that I will be carrying a couple of these just in case when I do eventually get through that tunnel. Laughing

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
UK NHS vaccine certificates not yet compatible with French health pass

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/UK-NHS-vaccine-certificates-not-yet-compatible-with-French-health-pass

Was in a couple of bars tonight, and one guy who is not exactly the sharpest dude had not even downloaded the app he needed as a proprietor, and the next bar, where previously my code was not valid was now read as valide following on from my recent post.

Now just have to sort the NHS side of things out on my return, but no further announcements today?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
France off Amber Plus, no quarantine.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yahhhoooo !!!

My French niece just zapped me !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58079107
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
Sounds like progress is made with recognising the NHS Covid Pass. Excellent. One more small step forwards.

As usual, NI lagging behind, still not working for me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
UK NHS vaccine certificates not yet compatible with French health pass

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/UK-NHS-vaccine-certificates-not-yet-compatible-with-French-health-pass

Was in a couple of bars tonight, and one guy who is not exactly the sharpest dude had not even downloaded the app he needed as a proprietor, and the next bar, where previously my code was not valid was now read as valide following on from my recent post.

Now just have to sort the NHS side of things out on my return, but no further announcements today?
This has changed within the last few hours. NHS Covid Passes from England and Wales (not yet Scotland or NI) now validated by the French TousAntiCovud Verif app.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rois1980 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

As usual, NI lagging behind, still not working for me.
Same for vaccine passes from Scotland.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar, I’ve just seen this in a tweet from a French govt official (search Jean Baptiste Lemoyne) that seems to suggest that French citizens in Scotland and NI can request it from tomorrow, but not sure about tourists.

“FDE d’Écosse/d’Irlande du Nord : vous pourrez envoyer vos demandes de QR code à notre cellule dès demain.”
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We flew Edinburgh - Heathrow - Lyon today. BA at Edinburgh had no interest in the Verifly app and just wanted to see our NHS Scotland paper vaccine certificate and also asked if we had a certificate of honour.
On arrival at Lyon (which was very quiet and quick) they asked for vaccine certificates, preferably in paper form, or covid test certificate. Passports were not stamped.
As we only have paper vaccine certificates I’ll see how things go in the coming days concerning entry to hospitality venues.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TAC Verif now “valide” for me. Roll on 17 Aug to 3 Sep Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does anyone know currently at small land borders between France and Switzerland, are passports, proof of vaccine and French "sworn statements" being checked? I'm hoping to do some cycling in the French/Swiss alps in a couple of weeks and usually cross the border multiple times on day trips, at Saint-Gingolph and Pas de Morgins. Want to be prepared with paperwork, but also I may avoid planning to cross the borders if they're checking everyone because I can imagine huge queues!

Also, I'm staying at my parents apartment. Do I now need (post-Brexit) to bring some kind of proof that my parents own the apartment as proof of accommodation in order to enter France? I'll be entering by land via Geneva airport.
snow report
@musehead, they don‘t appear to be checking at the large land borders round here, let alone the small ones, so I very much doubt it.
snow conditions
And no checks from France into Italy and back.

I now know of two Brit ex-pats who have flown back to the UK from Turin and Milan to avoid quarantine and another couple who went back five days ago rather than chance it as they had a wedding to go to.

I'll check my wife's NHS QR codes in the French app in the same bar and see if it is valide.

So vets to arrange for dogs and then our tests etc to come back (book tunnel for Thursday) and presume we still need to order up day 2 tests etc?

Wonder what the situation will be like at the end of October/November when we come back, though it's slightly easier now being French resients, famous last words Laughing
ski holidays
@musehead, we went over to Champery from Lindarets a couple of weeks ago by walking and various lifts and we weren’t noticed. We had taken passports and had the double jab certification on our phones but not needed at all.
ski holidays
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58079107
snow conditions
@musehead, I have been across at Morgins on a number of occasions over the last month by car and bike and not been stopped. However have seen customs personnel arriving at the checkpoint which is unusual compared to other years. Do not think there is a risk of queues but maybe some spot checks. Also been to Geneva and back by the lake route by car a few times and no checks.
ski holidays
@musehead, No checks at the Vallorbe or Morgins borders and no check on where we would be staying at Folkestone.
latest report
Help from the collective brain please:

Spain went off ok last month, thanks in good part to the discount codes and sage wisdom on snowHeads. Advice (and codes) all now past on to friends leaving for Spain at the weekend and my business partner who heading to Greece tomorrow to go sailing.

So now my mind turns to France later this month.

Ferry is booked so that bit is secured. We can't leave until late in the month (due to the super selfish sailor referred to above) so that means return just before term starts but that's now ok I think due to yesterdays changes announced by UK in regard to France. I am (I hope) fully across the requirements for return having just done it from Spain

My questions are about getting there:

Two of us are fully jabbed and the third is a minor, so as I understand it we are all spared quarantine even if coming in from an 'orange' country (ie UK). My daughter would need a PCR or LFtest in the 24hrs prior to departure boarding (if we were going direct to France). Does that sound like I'm getting it right? Also I am aware of the French app for getting into bars etc (btw what is the crack on that for minors)?

However, we will sail UK to NL. Normal plan would then be drive NL into Belgium, into Luxembourg, into France, into Switzerland, back into France over the Cols Forclaz & Montet. So what rules do I need to follow? Are all those borders ok at present? Am I regarded as entering France from UK or CH? etc. etc.

Last summer there were separate rules if you just transited a country, is there anything like that this year?

Any advice or recent experience welcomed. Thx.
snow report
@midgetbiker, I can't answer your questions, but will follow responses with interest. With the news this morning that isolation on return is no longer needed we are weighing up whether to head to France in a couple of weeks and simply take the cost of the tests. We would use the Rotterdam route so enter France indirectly like you.
ski holidays
@midgetbiker, at the moment, in theory, transit through Netherlands, Belgium & Luxembourg is not allowed for those who have been in UK recently for "non essential" purposes ie tourism (there is a quarantine requirement in place even for vaccinated individuals who are staying in those countries), so just for business or travelling to a place of normal residence etc. In practice this seems to be ignored as there are reports of families clearly going on "holiday" travelling on the Hull Rotterdam ferry and not having any issues. If you are someone who worries about keeping to the letter of the rules better to travel directly into France from UK though in practical terms the chances of any grief are very small.
latest report
@munich_irish, Thx for that. I'ld be willing to take a punt if it looked viable (as opposed to strictly correct). Belgium and Lux could leave the equation easy enough with a NL>DE>CH>FR route.

I guess the main thing is arrival in NL, ie what paperwork do I need for that.

Also it's over 2 weeks away, which is a lifetime in Covid terms.

@j b I'll post up or PM any info I get from sources other than snH's.
snow report
I'm also interested in anything hot off the press. We are booked to travel 17/8 - 3/9 via the tunnel to Chatel which typically involves us passing through CH via the Jura/Lausanne. That sounds all OK as both double jabbed.

Often visit Mrs DJLs family in NL which usually involves CH, L, BE as well as F on the return leg from Chatel.

Possible to do the whole trip within F but less convenient (and no visit to NL). Certainly last month it was too complicated for me as a UK passport holder to to go the NL for the MiL's funeral, though Mrs DJL made it with quarantine on return. A quick look at the gov.uk website suggests it is either not possible or too complicated at present for B, L, NL.
latest report
More research on the NL Gov website reveals that there are sub 12hr transit rules for NL but we (Brits) are still scuppered by the 'v high risk with variant of concern' status. If we were just 'v high risk' the transit rules would kick in and all would be well.

@munich_irish has said there are anecdotal stories of holiday makers on the Hull to Rotterdam, but I just don't see how, as there has to be paperwork checks on disembarkation (I mean there was even before Brexit & Covid, so it can't have got more lax surely).

Looks like planB has to be make a fully refundable chunnel booking and then keep fingers crossed NL drops the 'variant of concern' status in the next two weeks and we can revert to the boat.

What a massive pain, but nothing I suppose compared to what Covid has done to some folk, so I'll try to keep a sense of perspective.
snow conditions
@midgetbiker, This is from the "Austria thread

Chris_n wrote:
radar wrote:
@munich_irish, The Dutch site isn't easy to navigate and I'm one of them (half), but a UK citizen Confused I've had a look at another page and I stand corrected.

If you are transiting less than 12 hours , then you don't need to self isolate

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-transit-or-short-stay

Transit is one of the exceptions to quarantine requirements but you are still supposed to have a good reason to travel which does not include holidays. Though the English families with young children clearly on their way to holidays on Saturdays Hull - Europoort must have given a reason that was acceptable!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
More research:

On the NL Gov website under entry from VHigh risk with variant it says you can only do it more one of the good reasons.

In the list of good reasons are the usual stuff (family, work, emergency, etc) and also transit.

In the transit section it says ok to transit if going to EU/Sch country which will allow you in.

So I 'THINK' it may be ok, but clearly I'll do more research and come back with more info.

Neg lateral flows would be needed for all travellers (so the double jabbed adults as well as the minor who needs one for France anyway).

Not even looked at BE and Lux yet as they are easy enough to drop from the route by using DE.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@midgetbiker, This is from the "Austria thread

Chris_n wrote:
radar wrote:
@munich_irish, The Dutch site isn't easy to navigate and I'm one of them (half), but a UK citizen Confused I've had a look at another page and I stand corrected.

If you are transiting less than 12 hours , then you don't need to self isolate

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-transit-or-short-stay

Transit is one of the exceptions to quarantine requirements but you are still supposed to have a good reason to travel which does not include holidays. Though the English families with young children clearly on their way to holidays on Saturdays Hull - Europoort must have given a reason that was acceptable!

Ah OK, I think the key here may be that 'transit' is not only an exemption in regard to quarantine, but is a 'good reason' in it's own right (if that transit falls within the two categories on the NL Gov site).

So in other words (I hope) whilst holidaying in NL is not a good reason, transiting through NL to holiday in another EU country is OK so long as that EU country deems holidaying there to be OK.
latest report
@midgetbiker, another wrinkle for you. My wife has also been trying to make sense of the NL website, and spotted that they have given advance notice of elevating France's risk status next week. So the return trip may also need thought.

Apparently there is a declaration you need to print and sign as well for NL, did you find that? (And maybe others for B and LU, if not DE).
ski holidays
j b wrote:
@midgetbiker, another wrinkle for you. My wife has also been trying to make sense of the NL website, and spotted that they have given advance notice of elevating France's risk status next week. So the return trip may also need thought.

Apparently there is a declaration you need to print and sign as well for NL, did you find that? (And maybe others for B and LU, if not DE).

Oh FFS. I guess maybe if the transit stuff is valid for going outbound then it would be equally valid at return.

Yes I've spotted the declaration.

This is all actually more difficult than 12 months ago.
latest report
midgetbiker wrote:
This is all actually more difficult than 12 months ago.

Certainly is!
ski holidays
Well I've spent the night wondering whether to go to France after all now we can, I'm very tempted I suppose the things putting me off are:

1. Additional cost of 5*testing for out and inbound travel - plus the small risk of a false positive out of 15 tests in total
2. Price of crossing - which short notice is Shocked
3. Risk of it going back to Amber + or Red while away - and now Transport Secretary has assured us it won't change again in August, I'd say it was a certainty!!!

Overall still think decision to stay in UK is (just) the best one

EDIT - although if reading the rules right, from Monday we only need to take a test before returning? If that's right it may change my mind somewhat
snow report
If fully vaccinated and going to France, you do not need to test to go there, and need lateral flow test to come back in (€29 per person, done in many pharmacies) plus Day 2 PCR back in the UK.
ski holidays
I've been researching like fury for my trip to Italy next week and "transit" is indeed a magic word.
What strikes me about several National Covid Sites (e.g. Luxembourg) is that they seem to regard flying into the country as "entering" but driving from (in Luxembourg's case) Belgium doesn't matter.
snow report
@Nemisis, what would your proposed route be?
ski holidays
@midgetbiker,
Calais, (beer stop at a warehouse in Nieuwkerke!), Namur, Luxembourg (overnight), Karlsruhe, Ulm, Fuessen (overnight), Innsbruck, Brenner.
I used to do Lake Garda to Stansted in one (in a 1980's diesel Citroen), nowadays I drive a Defender....
latest report
Nemisis wrote:
@midgetbiker,
Calais, (beer stop at a warehouse in Nieuwkerke!), Namur, Luxembourg (overnight), Karlsruhe, Ulm, Fuessen (overnight), Innsbruck, Brenner.
I used to do Lake Garda to Stansted in one (in a 1980's diesel Citroen), nowadays I drive a Defender....

tbh I wouldn't sweat that route at all, as you arrive in France (which is open for Brits). My concern all comes from the controls on disembarkation in Rotterdam.
snow report
@Nemisis, if you are driving a UK registered vehicle be prepared for hassle going into Austria as they are very unkeen on folk from the UK at the moment (read the Austria thread, even those with property there are struggling to be allowed in). Make sure you fill in the "Einreiseformular" for both Germany & Austria even for transit. The German police are now running checks at various border crossings to ensure that any unvaccinated folk have had a pre arrival test. Not sure about the Luxembourg rules but I thought only "essential" travel for anyone who has been in UK which would rule out overnight hotel stops. Would strongly suggest getting one of the German apps and scanning in your vaccine cert (NHS codes work) eg Corona Warn as it gives you an EU green pass.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy