Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
@Pamski, (see my post at the top of prev page) - Collinson, based at all the major airports, using BA20OFF, for £80. They have the machines on-site, so as long as you get a test by 4pm, you get results the same day. A colleague did hers in the morning and had the results in the afternoon.

@homphomp, I had a few problems with the NHS app yesterday - might be worth re-trying. I had to delete and reinstall the app on my phone to get my second certificate to work.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rob@rar, without question, the French system is not infallible, as Mrs U is having considerable issues getting hers recognised. ...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
@Weathercam, this thread from an EU-based journalist explains my concerns:

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1420295415971319811

For me the issue is not getting in to France, but what checks might happen when I’m in France. Based on the comments in that thread the QR code I have generated in the TousAntiCovid app might not be recognised. It’s a few months before it becomes a real issue, and I have no idea whether in real life the venues I’ll want to visit when skiing in French resorts will operate a QR code recognition system or just a quick glance at something which looks vaguely official.

I thought you might be coming out the immediate future!

I wouldn't be too concerned as no doubt come the ski season we'll all be enduring our sixth wave / fifth lock-down Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowdave, it's @rob@rar that's having the problem....I'm lucky enough to have escaped the clutches of the NHS and had both my jabs here in La France Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam wrote:
I thought you might be coming out the immediate future!

I wouldn't be too concerned as no doubt come the ski season we'll all be enduring our sixth wave / fifth lock-down Laughing
I’ve not planned to come out and won’t if I need to quarantine on return, but my trip to the US has been postponed to next year so if there are workable restrictions for visiting the Alps (and returning home) the week after next I could make a last minute decision to visit Les Arcs.

Hopefully once we get to October or early November things will be easier, or at least more predictable!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
homphomp wrote:
@rob@rar, despite the initial info that TousAntiCovid would recognise NHS jabs the message coming out now is that they can't be verified so back to square one for those jabbed in the UK. It's all a bit of a muddle!

Sorry, it was this quote of yours that I was responding to...! I thought you were speaking from personal experience.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowdave, thank you, yes my hopelessness at not going back far enough. Collinson it might be at the end of next week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Pamski, fingers crossed for you that there will be no need!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowdave wrote:
homphomp wrote:
@rob@rar, despite the initial info that TousAntiCovid would recognise NHS jabs the message coming out now is that they can't be verified so back to square one for those jabbed in the UK. It's all a bit of a muddle!

Sorry, it was this quote of yours that I was responding to...! I thought you were speaking from personal experience.

The muddle is often a topic of conversation in various places! Govt messaging here is as confused as anywhere else...I try to keep on top of the rules in the fond hope that one day I'll be able to come to UK for a visit or, even better, have visitors!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
@Weathercam, this thread from an EU-based journalist explains my concerns:

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1420295415971319811

For me the issue is not getting in to France, but what checks might happen when I’m in France. Based on the comments in that thread the QR code I have generated in the TousAntiCovid app might not be recognised. It’s a few months before it becomes a real issue, and I have no idea whether in real life the venues I’ll want to visit when skiing in French resorts will operate a QR code recognition system or just a quick glance at something which looks vaguely official.

Ahhhh this thread worries me. I’ve tried scanning my NHS code and the code in the Irish COVID app. No joy in the TAC Verif app.

Will have to try the pharmacy route then if the original one doesn’t work. I’m travelling in 12 days.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@muppet, @snowdave, thanks. I’ll use one of those.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been double jabbed but caught Covid (I think, at Wembley in the Euros Sad ). Luckily I wasn't ill with it - I had only minor symptoms (although I still have no sense of taste or smell) - and am now finished self isolation.

Any advice, please, on how to renew my Covid passport online? Prior to my catching Cv19 my online NHS account generated a passport and QR code, but now my account says that my passport has expired.

Is there an online document that would get me into France if we decide to drive there in a few weeks time? The bad news is that my phone is old and playing up and it's not possible for me to download the NHS app or any new apps. (Note to self - buy new phone...)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, you can download a new pdf on the NHS app or just use the QR code on the app. The qr code expires after a month.

*sorry, didn’t read the bit about the old phone!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 28-07-21 15:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from a quick post-run coke in a bar where we're known really well, and I asked the owner if I could try my TAC pass and he scanned it twice (my French one) and it came back invalide, he just rolled his eyes and said it's a f**kin shite system Laughing

That said, I've just noticed I had it set as deactivated, so wonder if that was the cause?

Good thing is that the bars we frequent we're known well so will not be an issue, especially as we can show we have the passes etc
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No quarantine for fully jabbed US and EU travellers to England announced on the beeb - typical, we rebooked flights yesterday for my Mum to come over in Sept rather than in 2 weeks https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57999362
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
That said, I've just noticed I had it set as deactivated, so wonder if that was the cause?
From what I've read this morning I think it's because the UK's system isn't hooked in to the EU system, so although the TAC app can add a QR code to its wallet the TAC Verif app won't validate the NHS QR code (regardless of whether it's in the NHS app or in the TAC app).

Do you know what proportion of venues are using the TAC Verif app? Is it in widespread use?
ski holidays
We are not travelling to/through France just yet, but I thought I would try the French App. On the NHS App I asked it to send me a link for the PDF of certificate. I downloaded the TousAntiCovid app onto my phone, opened the PDF on my laptop, scanned the barcode for my second jab from the PDF into the French App and it instantly gave me a thumbs-up and a shower of confetti! Reassuring that for me at least the tech worked seamlessly, and it took less than five minutes in total, even on the rubbish wi-fi here. (I presume the French barcode will replicate the 30 day expiry of the UK one?)
ski holidays
@Bergmeister My wife's mobile is the same. Frankly, I wouldn't update your phone just for this. You can regenerate the NHS Covid Pass on the app and then send yourself a PDF to print. We plan to do this when we travel next month, so the validity covers the period that we're away, plus a margin for any delays. The French Attestation is just a document anyway, so I see it as actually easier to hand over one sheaf of paper vs fumbling with a mobile; finding the two PDFs; and then displaying each from our mobile (usually, through the window across to someone in a booth).
snow report
@rob@rar, it was my French jab that he scanned which didn't work!
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@rob@rar, it was my French jab that he scanned which didn't work!
That does sound a bit merde! Little hope the system will recognise proof from outside of France/EU if it doesn't recognise domestically administered vaccines.
ski holidays
@rob@rar,
Quote:

so although the TAC app can add a QR code to its wallet the TAC Verif app won't validate the NHS QR code (regardless of whether it's in the NHS app or in the TAC app).

When I now did it the TAC app scanned the NHS QR code, and generated a new QR of it's own (it is visibly different) - surely it must have recognised the NHS code and interpreted it? ( it got the date and vaccine details from it, as well as my name and DOB)
snow report
RobinS wrote:
@rob@rar,
Quote:

so although the TAC app can add a QR code to its wallet the TAC Verif app won't validate the NHS QR code (regardless of whether it's in the NHS app or in the TAC app).

When I now did it the TAC app scanned the NHS QR code, and generated a new QR of its own (it is visibly different) - surely it must have recognised the NHS code and interpreted it? ( it got the date and vaccine details from it, as well as my name and DOB)
Yes, when I scanned my NHS code in to the TAC app the same thing happened, generating a code of it's own. But when I scanned that new code, or the original NHS code, with the TAC Verif app it failed the verification. As I'm not in France I don't had a feel for how many venues will use this verification to allow or decline admittance when this requirement comes in to force (1 August?). Worst case scenario is that you could be admitted to France showing your NHS Covid certificate, but many venues you might wish to enter when you are in France decline because your vaccine status is not verified. Hopefully someone who is on the spot can advise?
ski holidays
@rob@rar, mate of mine has Swiss jabs / QR, tried to go swimming in Morzine pool a few days ago but they couldn't verify his vax status on TAC app (he's a tech pro, so had all the apps and docs uploaded correctly). They let him in when he showed his Swiss jab cert with the date of second jab. So no scan, no problem, at least in these limited examples.

Alternatively, #zonelibre is a group of bar / restaurant owners that are putting up these stickers. Be interesting to see how far it goes...

snow report
@polo, thanks.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, I see, I have now downloaded the verif app onto JanetS' phone, and get the same as you, it recognises the QR code, as it get my name and DOB, but says invalid. Will have to wait and see and monitor what happens for those going to France before us! (A big bonus of Snowheads)
ski holidays
Has anyone tried decoding the QR codes ?

I'm guessing they contain a mixture of explicit data like names and dates and URLs to other things.
snow report
@always29, is that for all EU citizens, i.e. does that include fully vaccinated French citizens?

If so, it will mean that a fully vaccinated French national can come to the UK without quarantine, but a fully vaccinated UK national still has to quarantine when returning from their holiday in France?

Surely not - even this government couldn't oversee such madness rolling eyes
snow conditions
DeuxBieres wrote:
@always29, is that for all EU citizens, i.e. does that include fully vaccinated French citizens?

If so, it will mean that a fully vaccinated French national can come to the UK without quarantine, but a fully vaccinated UK national still has to quarantine when returning from their holiday in France?

It doesn't apply to France (at the moment) as France is not on the Amber list, so for the time being quarantine would be required for fully-vaccinated UK residents and for French residents.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just booked trip to France in August. Eurotunnel website says bring proof of Vaccination - no more than that, asked the guy doing the booking and he said best advice was NHS app and also get a hard copy via the App and keep checking Eurotunnel Covid pages for updates ...
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
DeuxBieres wrote:

It doesn't apply to France (at the moment) as France is not on the Amber list, so for the time being quarantine would be required for fully-vaccinated UK residents and for French residents.

As usual clear as mud. The page on gov.uk : https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-travel-update-government-waives-quarantine-for-arrivals-fully-vaccinated-from-europe-and-usa-while-also-confirming-international-cruise-restart just mentions amber list with no special provision for France and the link to the amber countries from that page: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list includes France with special rules for people double UK vaccinated – no special rule for people vaccinated elsewhere.

Maybe they just haven’t caught up yet. Still if it is Shyster Shapps department god knows.
ski holidays
@DJL, Lewis Goodall of the BBC asked the Department for Transport about France and these new rules, and reported this on Twitter:
Quote:
DfT have just confirmed to me that for now (as a result of being on the de facto amber plus list) these new arrangements will not apply to France (or anyone who has been in France over the past 10 days).

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1420394299049525253
snow report
It staggers me that France is being treated so differently compared to the rest of the EU. I've just read that Greece and Spain have more cases of the beta variant according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, while there are similar amounts in Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg.
snow report
@rob@rar, and others....

Just to let you know that I plan to go to various bars to see what's occuring, all for research of course Laughing
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
@DJL, Lewis Goodall of the BBC asked the Department for Transport about France and these new rules, and reported this on Twitter:
Quote:
DfT have just confirmed to me that for now (as a result of being on the de facto amber plus list) these new arrangements will not apply to France (or anyone who has been in France over the past 10 days).

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1420394299049525253

And Shapps’ tweet on that thread shows he hasn’t really got a grip. Refers to coming to “the England”. Obviously originally said “the U.K.” until someone remembered the decision was devolved and sloppily edited it!
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@rob@rar, and others....

Just to let you know that I plan to go to various bars to see what's occuring, all for research of course Laughing
I'm grateful for your self-sacrifice.
latest report
Have the One-Show on in the background, and they're (Watchdog) doing a number on Randox if I heard correctly
latest report
rjs wrote:
Has anyone tried decoding the QR codes ?

I'm guessing they contain a mixture of explicit data like names and dates and URLs to other things.

If you scan the NHS QR code it's not a URL and doesn't contain any plaintext data. It's an alphanumeric string with sequences of digits or character groups. It's not long enough to represent a 1:1 encrypted version of your actual data. So I'm inferring that it's a unique reference to a record in a database, with the database containing all the info. There are ways of compressing data into fewer characters than the plaintext version, but they are more applicable to much longer data strings, such as documents or images.

It may also have some stand-alone, self-checking logic (e.g. you take certain digits, do a calculation, and the {n} last digits of the result should be the n characters somewhere in the string, etc.). This latter would allow a stand-alone scanning app that wasn't currently connected to anything to check that the sequence wasn't just a complete fabrication (the International Bank Account Number, IBAN used for money transfers, has this capability. It can even tell you what the character should be if you get one of them wrong, based on similar algorithms to those used in error-correction for telco data transmissions).

So if you forged a Certificate and its QR code, with self-checking, it might not pass an electronic scan even if the scanner wasn't connected And if it was connected, it would either fail to find a record, or retrieve a record that didn't correspond to your passport details. Obviously, all this needs the official to have the scanning app on their device and to actually scan the QR code. In addition, it would be easy enough to have a couple of rules that even a human could check e.g. any zeros in the first digit string should be in the same place in the last digit string. These sorts of rules can be reverse-engineered, but you'd have to have a large set of valid examples to do it and I don't see how you'd obtain these easily.

In terms of forgery, I don't see the Vaccination Certificate as being the target, because it's not financially worth it compared to just getting vaccinated and there's a centralised database to check against. But I do see it as an issue for tests, where given the cost, logistics and expiration issues, there could well be a market or people paying a premium for forgeries. Testing doesn't have any supporting centralised database, so I'm not sure exactly how an official can check the veracity of a test, even if it has a QR code. If the QR code is just a link to a PDF then any forger would just put the forged Certificate up on the URL they reference.
ski holidays
@LaForet, not an expert here, but if you forged a Certificate that you thought was going to be checked in that way, wouldn't you just copy a valid QR code that satisfied the self-check criteria? Rather than invent one, or copy one off a food package.

But if you are right that the private testing organisations don't put test results on a centralised database, then a copy would suffice since there would be no other way to check.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@rob@rar, and others....

Any excuse Laughing

Nothing's happening till 9th August though
snow conditions
KenX wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
@rob@rar, and others....

Any excuse Laughing

Nothing's happening till 9th August though

Have to be checked to go to Chazeley as it has a pool, they started last Thursday as Jo's found out!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy