Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
Timmycb5 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
More reports in the Medja that France might come off the Amber Plus list Very Happy
Hope this is true. Wonder how many people cancelled their travel plans to France when the government placed the country on their Amber+ list?

Aaaahhrhrhrhrhrrgghghghg.

I have now changed my train, and my travel accomodation company has cancelled all accomodation. FFS. I have also cancelled leave.

I might be able to switch it all again. What a roller coaster!

Might...... might not! Next update is on the 4th August, I think, with a further update 3 weeks after that. We are still booked out for the last 2.5 weeks of Aug and will not be changing anything until after the next update. Might still go if no change and the noises are encouraging as they might change while we are out there. Bit of a ball-ache though, isn't it! Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmycb5 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
More reports in the Medja that France might come off the Amber Plus list Very Happy
Hope this is true. Wonder how many people cancelled their travel plans to France when the government placed the country on their Amber+ list?

Aaaahhrhrhrhrhrrgghghghg.

I have now changed my train, and my travel accomodation company has cancelled all accomodation. FFS. I have also cancelled leave.

I might be able to switch it all again. What a roller coaster!

I've just booked my return tests, so it's inevitable that I will have wasted my money Happy

In case its of interest, best providers for me are:

Qured for pre-departure test (BATRAVEL15) for about £35; lateral flow over video call, near-instant certificate
Randox for day 2/8 with BritishAirways43, £86 for both tests, and a dropbox a convenient 40 mile bike ride away.
Collinson drive-through same-day Test-to-release (at most major airports) with code BA20OFF, £80.

Total cost c. £200 for the full monty.

Note that Collinson's drive-through test-to-release is RT-LAMP so it's done on site and is much faster than the PCR providers - typically a few hours. Hopefully a 7am test will get me free that afternoon.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've received 3 x antigen travel tests from a place in the UK that we were going to use to travel to France (not needed now), assume that they'll be OK to use on the return leg from France?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Klamm Franzer, @snowdave, I was supposed to be going from 1st to 10th August, so I suspect this announcement will be too late for me, though I am going to look and see if there are any last minute jobs to Corsica I think!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone have a definitive answer on whether the covid pass is required in france for bars / restaurants with less than 50 people?
Ignoring the fact that 50 is utterly unscientific, especially without context of premises size and outdoor space etc.....

From what I can gather it seems cultural events and places with less than 50 currently are not required to check for the pass, and this will be extended to bars / cafes etc from 1 Aug for 18+. But it's not clear if the 50 people cut off is just for cultural events, or whether it includes bars?

Spoke to my 2 local small bars, neither of which tends to have more than 50 people most of the time.....one owner says he will implement the door checks, the other says she will be exempt when less than 50....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
polo wrote:
Anyone have a definitive answer on whether the covid pass is required in france for bars / restaurants with less than 50 people?
Ignoring the fact that 50 is utterly unscientific, especially without context of premises size and outdoor space etc.....

From what I can gather it seems cultural events and places with less than 50 currently are not required to check for the pass, and this will be extended to bars / cafes etc from 1 Aug for 18+. But it's not clear if the 50 people cut off is just for cultural events, or whether it includes bars?

Spoke to my 2 local small bars, neither of which tends to have more than 50 people most of the time.....one owner says he will implement the door checks, the other says she will be exempt when less than 50....

The full text hasn't been agreed upon yet, and sounds like now will be decided upon by 5th August - so we don't know yet. Although it does seem like all bars etc, regardless of size, will need to enforce it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
polo wrote:

It doesn't matter what your bar thinks, it is up to you to be within the rules if there is a spot check by the police.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here in Serre Che there's a very nice restaurant/bar which has a swimming pool and last Thursday they had controls in place, but that was because of the pool.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another report, just posted an hour ago on the Telegraph.

France could be moved back to the amber list next week, meaning double-jabbed travellers would be exempt from quarantine upon their return to the UK, Government sources have said.

It is currently the only country on the so-called 'amber plus' list, a category created last week which makes quarantine mandatory for all arrivals, including the fully vaccinated, over fears that France had too much of the beta variant that first originated in South Africa.

The move was widely condemned, not least because cases of the beta variant are higher (and still rising) in Spain, which remains amber.

Environment Secretary George Eustice told LBC Radio: “It was concern about the beta variant and the fact that the vaccine might be slightly less effective against that. But as those rates come down obviously the evidence will change and it can be reviewed and we will want to be putting countries like France back onto the amber list in the normal way.”

According to Government officials, it is also 'unlikely' that Spain and Greece will join the amber-plus list despite their rising cases.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@timlongs, yeah I expect the same

@davidof, both owners are determined to work with the rules, but there will be bending involved. They don’t mind people walking a few meters to the lake and consuming slightly off premises.

Can’t wait to see how the smaller even more local bars in ski resorts work this. Can I get pint out the side window….maybe we’ll run a lookout system.

10 day open air Lounge Music festival about to start in Les Gets (4-14th aug), so that will be easy

Am not good with silly rules. There’s always Swiss side more for civilized science
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Am I reading it right that the covid pass won't apply to under 18s until 30th September??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gilly76, not unless they go to a lab and you get a certificate/ QR code with them
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Nadenoodlee, some of the antigen tests (LFTs) available here for fit to fly are done via video link. You are watched doing the test, photo the result and email to the lab who return your QR codes. I even think some are done without the video, just take the test and email the lab the photo.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I need to get an antigen test done, ideally in Courmayeur on Thursday, if not Chamonix on Saturday pm - any advice? My back up is to get one done at GVA airport at this place - https://www2.m3-test.ch/ - but I can't see any bookings available on the day I want to travel after 0730..?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@iainm, I think a lot of local pharmacies are doing them.
ski holidays
That's what I'm hoping. Stuffed up on organising test - last time I used qured.com, but I didn't do it in time for this trip.
latest report
@Hells Bells, @iainm, our local pharmacy in Les Gets is doing them, result in about 15 minutes and no need to book.
ski holidays
our small village has always done free PCR and Anitgen tests (not a pharmacy) , no booking required, sometimes there's a small queue but very rare. It's now changed to 49 eur PCR and 29 eur antigen if you don't have a french social security card (ie with the carte vitale tests are still free). Very different to my brief time in Italy....we tried to get tested locally before heading back into France / Monaco for a day trip but it was not possible....one test centre 20 km's away that closed at 930am, only took appointments but didn't answer any of our phone calls / emails

2 unrelated mates have recently driven from Portugal to Geneva, each crossing the 3 borders, and not a single stop / control point along the way (similar to what I experienced last week going france - italy - france - monaco - france - italy - france - swiss)

Other good news for those without all the paperwork is that I've just asked the owner of a nice lakeside restaurant whether he will be enforcing the new covid pass rules, he laughed and said not to worry. Possibly just because I know him and we are good customers, but his attitude is similar to the 2 bar owners I asked....there will be controls, but not strictly enforced (unofficially at least).
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Gilly76 wrote:
Something to do with the South African variant.....
Which is not an unreasonable position, but the circulation of the Beta variant (South Africa) in France was known about last week. So what made them say no quarantine in last week's announcement, but caused them to change policy today?
Just revisiting the issue of what made the government make a U-Turn on quarantine when returning from France. The Office for Statistics Regulation have today written to the government’s Joint Biosecurity Centre reminding them that data which support decisions should be made available in an accessible form, plus a comment from Cambridge statistician Prof David Spielgelhalter:

https://twitter.com/d_spiegel/status/1420055431368544259

I still can’t understand what made the government require quarantine for fully vaccinated people returning from France, just one week after saying that quarantine was not necessary. Rumours that this requirement might be scrapped soon make the decisions seem even more chaotic.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

I still can’t understand what made the government require quarantine for fully vaccinated people returning from France, just one week after saying that quarantine was not necessary. Rumours that this requirement might be scrapped soon make the decisions seem even more chaotic.

I thought I'd heard it stated by a French MEP being interviewed on Radio 4 that the significant rise in cases of the South African variant was only occuring in overseas French territories (Réunion?) and was not a problem in mainland France. Perhaps the UK Government initially thought that the French statistics which I understand include French overseas territories was representative of mainland France and they are now subsequently rowing back on their assessment of the risk from mainland France?
snow report
@Alastair Pink, that is what I understand too - but how come the UK government is about a week behind Snowheads (and presumably months behind anyone who actually analyses French data) in realising that?

@rob@rar, "Office for Statistics Regulation" is a new one on me and assuming it isn't an elaborate joke one wonders quite what its role is. Is there also an "Office for the Oversight of Statistics Regulation" and so ad infinitum?
latest report
Sorry, I know this has been asked a few times. Can anyone recommend a reliable (and cheap Very Happy ) Day 2 PCR test provider?
latest report
j b wrote:
@rob@rar, "Office for Statistics Regulation" is a new one on me and assuming it isn't an elaborate joke one wonders quite what its role is. Is there also an "Office for the Oversight of Statistics Regulation" and so ad infinitum?
No idea what their role is, but I hope they have a department for examining government abuse of statistics. They’d be pretty busy.
latest report
j b wrote:
@Alastair Pink, that is what I understand too - but how come the UK government is about a week behind Snowheads (and presumably months behind anyone who actually analyses French data) in realising that?

Brings to mind the old joke "Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?"..... Toofy Grin
latest report
j b wrote:

It seems like they made a mistake, but they can't correct it immediately because it will make them look stupid.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

I thought I'd heard it stated by a French MEP being interviewed on Radio 4 that the significant rise in cases of the South African variant was only occuring in overseas French territories (Réunion?) and was not a problem in mainland France. Perhaps the UK Government initially thought that the French statistics which I understand include French overseas territories was representative of mainland France and they are now subsequently rowing back on their assessment of the risk from mainland France?

As I explained to Rob on apres the French govt figures showed a doubling in beta cases for the mainland. The 27th July figures indicate this was an outlier. It's called Following The Science. The UK govt is hardly responsible if the French can't test enough people to have reliable data.
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:
Sorry, I know this has been asked a few times. Can anyone recommend a reliable (and cheap Very Happy ) Day 2 PCR test provider?

Eurofins at £54.90 or CityDoc at £59.99. using the BA codes seem to be the some of the cheaper options.
https://www.eurofins.co.uk/pcr-testing-kits/day-2-test/

Randox are cheaper at £43 using BritishAirways43 as a discount code but not always reliable, but since it’s a Day2 test after returning the time constraints aren’t as important.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 28-07-21 7:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
davidof wrote:
As I explained to Rob on apres the French govt figures showed a doubling in beta cases for the mainland. The 27th July figures indicate this was an outlier. It's called Following The Science. The UK govt is hardly responsible if the French can't test enough people to have reliable data.
Was that doubling part of a rising trend, in which case numbers had doubled the previous week, and the week before that, and the week before that? As I said at the time, if there was a threat from Beta then I have no problem with travel restrictions being put in place. But seven days earlier there were not enough concerns to require quarantine, so what happened that week? You say mainland numbers doubled, but if that was a single data point where a small number doubled to become another small number which was not part of trend then I don’t think that’s following the science, I think that’s over-reacting and taking a knee jerk decision which caused unnecessary disruption. If that data point is now seen as an outlier it confirms the concerns I had at the time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hammerite wrote:

Does "reliable" matter? As far as I can tell, as long as you've booked the test with an approved provider, and take it by day 2, or when it arrives if later, then you've fulfilled your legal duty.

On this basis, I went for "cheapest approved" provider (Randox, £43).

Test-to-release reliability matters much more (to me) because until the result is available I'm stuck at home, so if it takes 3 days, I've wasted my money. Hence going for an on-site, same-day service.
snow report
@rob@rar, I think you're right!
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@rob@rar, yes sounds exactly the same issues as my OH, even when I deleted and installed it was the wrong app, hnece having to do it a couple of times.

The one you want is TousAntiCovid and it has a little logo to the left in the App Store and 10M+ downloads
Looking further in to this, I’m not sure that I have a QR code which is correctly recognised by the relevant French system. I installed the TousAntiCovid app and it did recognise the QR code from my NHS app, and it stores that as a Health Pass which generates another QR code inside the TousAntiCovid app. But if I scan that new QR code with the TousAntiCovid Verif app it fails to be verified (my NHS QR code also fails to be verified).

I have no idea how this would work in practice (it would be nice to have the opportunity to try), but my initial enthusiasm that I had it sorted I think was misplaced. Does anyone know if it is the TousAntiCovid Verif app which is used to check the validity of vaccination status, or some other system?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 28-07-21 8:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@snowdave, who are you going to use for the test to release please? We are not going to book the 2 day and 8 day until as late as possible in case of changes.

A call to Eurotunnel this morning was answered very swiftly and the amendment to bring our booking forward by 4 hours on Sunday all dealt with by 09.05 (French timing), whereas to make the original booking a couple of weeks ago it took an hour to be answered. That had required using voucher from a previously, probably previously to that, booked journey. None of these changes can be done online.
snow conditions
muppet wrote:
hammerite wrote:

Eurofins at £54.90 or CityDoc at £59.99. using the BA codes seem to be the some of the cheaper options.
https://www.eurofins.co.uk/pcr-testing-kits/day-2-test/

Randox are cheaper at £43 using BritishAirways43 as a discount code but not always reliable, but since it’s a Day2 test after returning the time constraints aren’t as important.

Just booked the Randox using @muppet's code, logic being all I really need is a booking to get me home, service levels not that critical.
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
.......Test-to-release reliability matters much more (to me) because until the result is available I'm stuck at home, so if it takes 3 days, I've wasted my money. Hence going for an on-site, same-day service.....

Exactly....

And even with all the positive vibes in the medja I still might have an issue having had one jab in the UK and one in France, so think it might go to the wire with circa 2 weeks to go till I return rolling eyes
latest report
@rob@rar, despite the initial info that TousAntiCovid would recognise NHS jabs the message coming out now is that they can't be verified so back to square one for those jabbed in the UK. It's all a bit of a muddle!
ski holidays
homphomp wrote:
@rob@rar, despite the initial info that TousAntiCovid would recognise NHS jabs the message coming out now is that they can't be verified so back to square one for those jabbed in the UK. It's all a bit of a muddle!
Oh well! I seem to have a ‘Health Pass’ verified in TousAntiCovid, but I’m not sure of its validity. I’m unlikely to get to France until the autumn, so perhaps by then things will become clearer.
snow report
@homphomp, @rob@rar, this is my first UK jab in the French App, so worked for me, so I can get a drink in France in a bar just might not be good enough for me to get back into the UK as I can't get the French jab into the NHS app rolling eyes

snow report
Perhaps they'll have removed the need for a healthpass by then, fingers crossed this latest wave is short lived!!
ski holidays
@Weathercam, this thread from an EU-based journalist explains my concerns:

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1420295415971319811

For me the issue is not getting in to France, but what checks might happen when I’m in France. Based on the comments in that thread the QR code I have generated in the TousAntiCovid app might not be recognised. It’s a few months before it becomes a real issue, and I have no idea whether in real life the venues I’ll want to visit when skiing in French resorts will operate a QR code recognition system or just a quick glance at something which looks vaguely official.
snow report
homphomp wrote:
Perhaps they'll have removed the need for a healthpass by then, fingers crossed this latest wave is short lived!!
Yes, let’s hope.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy