Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone noticed the requirements for unvaccinated kids over 11 to have a negative test 24 hours (rather than 48/72) before departure?!

That seems to have totally escaped me, but it is apparently a thing. No idea if that is the same for kids of vaccinated adults or not.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also, has anyone got any concrete proof that the Qured antigen test is OK for France? They’re website is quite appalling.

Scrap that. It looks like Prenetics lateral flow tests are only £30, they confirm France accept them, and you just do it yourself (without having to book a zoom appointment).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Timmycb5, We've ordered ours from c19testing for £29 each. They got off to a good start with a timed next day DPD delivery. Taking the test tomorrow, so will update here how they perform.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timc wrote:
@Timmycb5, We've ordered ours from c19testing for £29 each. They got off to a good start with a timed next day DPD delivery. Taking the test tomorrow, so will update here how they perform.

Oh cool. Thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Anyone noticed the requirements for unvaccinated kids over 11 to have a negative test 24 hours (rather than 48/72) before departure?!

That seems to have totally escaped me, but it is apparently a thing. No idea if that is the same for kids of vaccinated adults or not.

Can you provide a link to this?

All I can see is that the rules have changed for non-vaccinated people from Spain and Portugal entering France, but nothing about the UK.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to cheer you all up , not

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/15/government-considers-putting-france-red-list-beta-variant-fears/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rob Mackley wrote:
Just to cheer you all up , not

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/15/government-considers-putting-france-red-list-beta-variant-fears/

Good grief. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

That said. The Torygraph has become an increasingly unreliable source of late.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowdave wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Can you provide a link to this?

All I can see is that the rules have changed for non-vaccinated people from Spain and Portugal entering France, but nothing about the UK.

Here you go....

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

Quote:
On 12 July, the French government announced that unvaccinated arrivals aged 11 years old or over are required to present evidence of a negative test taken within 24 hours of departure. For most other amber countries, you will need evidence of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of departure or an antigen test taken within 48 hours of departure.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Timmycb5, eeks that is getting complicated…. Presume by “within” they also mean before?

So our flights are booked for early Monday 9th. Can we get those test done on the Sunday near Gatwick?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timmycb5, thanks. Weird that there’s no apparent reference to it on the french government site which still says 48/72 hrs.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowdave wrote:
@Timmycb5, thanks. Weird that there’s no apparent reference to it on the french government site which still says 48/72 hrs.

Yes, that’s what I thought. My wife pointed it out and I questioned it, because I’ve been all over this stuff like a rash recently and hadn’t picked that up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, depends if you need a PCR or antigen test.

We’re planning on ordering antigen tests that we can do ourselves the day before we’re due to go. There’s a couple of sites doing them for £30 a go.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timmycb5 wrote:
@NickyJ, depends if you need a PCR or antigen test.

We’re planning on ordering antigen tests that we can do ourselves the day before we’re due to go. There’s a couple of sites doing them for £30 a go.

I presumed it had to antigen as getting a result for a test taken within 24hrs isn’t possible for PCR as far as I can work out???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timmycb5, can you take some with you to use as the tests to travel back from France also? Or do they have to be French tests??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmycb5 wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Yes, that’s what I thought. My wife pointed it out and I questioned it, because I’ve been all over this stuff like a rash recently and hadn’t picked that up.

I would take the French govt website over the British one – there are often inconsistencies between countries, but I would put it down to misinterpretation, mistranslation or just plain misunderstanding, and go back to the source. If something for France isn't on the French govt website, it's probably not a thing.
snow report
@Gilly76, It's my understanding that you can take them with you to do when you're there before you go back. I looked into getting some there. They are marginally cheaper at €29 a pop, but the thought of trying to find a chemist to do it in time in darkest Bretagne put me off!

@Scarlet, True. I was always planning to do mine the day before anyway, so it makes no difference to us.
ski holidays
@Gilly76,

I’m taking my tests with me next week only because I might not want to drive into the valley to do them but i see you from your name that you BSM and I know that the main Pharmacy in Bourg are doing the antigen tests but booking is advisable .
ski holidays
How do self-administered antigen tests provide you with a Certificate? I thought that you needed to match the certification you get with a PCR Fit to Fly test (where the lab checks your ID and passes-through your passport no)? How do you provide proof of a negative test unless there's some sort of mechanism for recording your ID and issuing you with a Certificate?

I'm not being critical - we're scheduled to drive through France to Switzerland in a few weeks time, so I wondered if I have misunderstood the certification requirements?

Which I thought were that we will need either a PCR test no more than 72 hours old, or an antigen test no more than 48 hours old and that 'proof a negative test' was a Certificate from a test provider that included our passport number. Given you can get an antigen test result in 30 minutes but the PCR takes 24 hours, then it makes sense to take the antigen test. And that if you're flying, there are providers at the airport who can do the antigen test there and then. So the better option for France (at the moment) is to schedule an antigen test at the airport a few hours before you fly. When you book one of these, you select a ½-hour timeslot and provide you passport and flight number for the Certificate. You then take the Certificate with you when you check-in.

Eurotunnel don't have any similar on-site service, so we'll have to get our Antigen test done late in the day the day before, locally. Again, the providers sites I've looked at ask for you passport number to pass-through to the Certificate. It's inconvenient having to do it the day before, but the upside is that if it's positive, it gives us time to cancel the crossing and the overnight hotel in France within the free cancellation window.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 16-07-21 10:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@LaForet, Although self-administered, some of the Antigen test providers have to witness you taking the test, via Zoom etc. Once the process has been completed, and hopefully a negative result, they then issue the relevant certification.
snow report
Gilly76 wrote:
@LaForet, Although self-administered, some of the Antigen test providers have to witness you taking the test, via Zoom etc. Once the process has been completed, and hopefully a negative result, they then issue the relevant certification.

Ah right, thanks. Seems a good solution. And hence the question of whether a UK-based provider's test and certificate done in, say Switzerland, would be acceptable when presented to a French Border officer as we crossed from CH to F on the way home. I understand now.
ski holidays
@LaForet, We’ve done the Qured tests which are supervised via a video link. The person talks you through the test and you show your passport on the screen to make sure it matches. After the test develops you send a photo of the slide next to your passport and within the hour they email you a fit to fly certificate if it’s negative. With the BA discount code they were £33 each.
ski holidays
We've just done our C19testing antigen tests, process was simple enough, test, write their registration number on the test cartridge, take photo of passport and cartridge together, upload. Now all we have to do is wait for the certificate.
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
Gilly76 wrote:

Ah right, thanks. Seems a good solution. And hence the question of whether a UK-based provider's test and certificate done in, say Switzerland, would be acceptable when presented to a French Border officer as we crossed from CH to F on the way home. I understand now.

Prenetics (which Eurotunnel have a link to on their website https://www.projectscreen.co.uk/eurotunnel/#england-to-france) seem to allow self administered antigen tests, and by the looks of it, you don't even do it via video link. Could be open to abuse I guess.
ski holidays
muppet wrote:
@LaForet, We’ve done the Qured tests which are supervised via a video link. The person talks you through the test and you show your passport on the screen to make sure it matches. After the test develops you send a photo of the slide next to your passport and within the hour they email you a fit to fly certificate if it’s negative. With the BA discount code they were £33 each.

If you're not flying with BA, there's a code for 10% off with them....

JULYSAVE10

If anyone is interested.
latest report
@Timmycb5,
Timc wrote:

We've just done our C19testing antigen tests, process was simple enough, test, write their registration number on the test cartridge, take photo of passport and cartridge together, upload. Now all we have to do is wait for the certificate.

Completed online form and uploaded photo at 11:45 a.m. received certificate back at 16:45 p.m.

All we have to do now is hope we don't turn France into a Red country.
snow conditions
@Timc, was that the qured test you did ?
ski holidays
@gwatts10,
@gwatts10 wrote:

@Timc, was that the qured test you did ?

No C19 £29 on this link

https://www.c19testing.co.uk/rapidtravel
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Cheesie168 wrote:
James77 wrote:
How often are travel reviews by the French and when is the next? Hoping to get away but looks like general feeling is based on UK case rates we'll go Red for France soon?
Yeah bit like Hong Kong is now on our 'green' list but since the beginning of the month they deem UK to be “extremely high risk”. This means that all passengers who have visited the UK for more than two hours in the past 21 days will be denied entry to Hong Kong.
At a guess, I’d say any country with COVID prevalence low enough to clearly make our Green List is likely to look at the UK’s case rate and Delta dominance and be concerned about unlimited travel by people from the UK.
Bulgaria, which I believe was about to join the UK’s Green List has just banned travellers from the UK.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know if the test that 11 plus year olds need to take less than 24 hours can be an antigen test? Everything I read online just says test, not specifying if antigen or PCR.
snow report
I believe, and am going with, the Antigen for my 11 year old.
snow report
And now you have to quarantine on return.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
And now you have to quarantine on return.
They really are going to piss off a large number of people with yet another chop and change of policy on this. If their margin on these decisions is so fine that they reverse policy four days after the initial announcement they are running too fine a margin.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I am already mightily fecked off
ski holidays
Speculation from Sky's Sam Coates that the government were considering today whether France might need to be added to the UK's red list. This comes just four days after announcing that UK residents returning from France would not need to quarantine at all. Seems like they are staggering from decision to decision, with all the control of an errant shopping trolley as Cummings might say.
ski holidays
Well that’s the last nail in proverbial coffin. Hey ho Plan B holiday here we come - least can concentrate on that and claim money back on France

Disappointed but expected. Fingers crossed for skiing
latest report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57869880
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
@rob@rar, I am already mightily fecked off
Justifiably so. There has been no sudden change in trend here or in France. Why could they not have foreseen whatever data they have used today to reverse policy on this? Just incompetence, IMO.
snow report
Probably change again in another weeks time.

It really is a joke.
snow conditions
Does anyone know the reason? Just spite?
snow conditions
Something to do with the South African variant.....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy