Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
@Susang73, Antigen IS the test in pharmacies. A LFD which then generates a cert via the French system with a QR code that uploads to TAC and gives a PS for three days.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarlet wrote:
Susang73 wrote:
Skimum1 wrote:
Yep when we had antigen tests in France we got a full EU QR certificate downloadable from the central system.

You get just random private company bits of paper for the U.K. travel tests so definitely not a runner.

@skimum1 - how did that work? Did you have to go to a clinic or could you do by post. We are travelling Christmas. My 14yr old had covid in July so will be just under 6 mths, still haven't been given date for 1st Jab, so no way will they fit 2 in before end December (even if the rules change).

Now if we could get a French antigen test that ticked the box that could be a lot easier. Otherwise will be asking about pharmacies in La Plagne !

There's some confusion here. Antigen test is the name often used in EU countries for a fast test. You are (both?) talking about antibody tests that show proof of previous infection/vaccination, but they are not universally accepted in all countries.

I think @skimum1 knows she is talking about LFD and was responding to my earlier posts about using Fit to Fly LFD on TAC.

@Susang73 though I believe is confusing antibody and antigen like you say.

Antibody is easy to get in France, we all did one back in Aug'20. I don't know if it matters a damn regards the PS process though.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 15-10-21 14:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Susang73, yes was a local pharmacie, not by post, sorry.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@midgetbiker, too fast on the quoting, it's already gone wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
@midgetbiker, too fast on the quoting, it's already gone wink

Fleet of finger, I.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for clarifying, wishful thinking that there could be a solution to reduce testing of teenagers!

Not going to plan tests just yet though as I did read earlier that the season pass is being reviewed on 15th November. I'll find the link and post it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.sortiraparis.com/news/in-paris/articles/256752-covid-when-will-the-health-pass-end-what-we-know-so-far/lang/en

Have no idea about quality of news report or the source as it popped up in my Google feed when I looking at how it worked. Someone far more knowledgeable than me will probably know.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The simple answer for the pass sanitaire: As close to the elections (early April) as Macron thinks won't look suspicious!

Seriously, though, it is going to be an issue once the electioneering starts in earnest. I bet he figures out a way to ditch it to keep the far right off his back, unless covid mutates into something far worse that what we have now.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
midgetbiker wrote:
None of the neg LFD fit to fly (various providers) actually have a QR on the cert, so that's def a bust.

same here- Excalibur has a QR on the cert but doesn’t import into TAC even when it’s within its validity period- I’ve just tried with a fresh one.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Susang73, that's very out of date, publication doesn't reflect it being written before the PS actually came into force.

From what I hear there is considerable pressure to extend after Nov 15 and to remove the testing and prior infection options.

Personally, almost everyone I know is very happy with it and anything that gets people vaxxed is a good thing. I appreciate if nothing changes it's going to be problematic for uk families wanting to visit - and don't get me wrong, their patronage is much demanded - but that's really a uk govt problem.

Mind you, that's not stopped them blaming the other party in the past rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Susang73, the only solution that will reduce testing of teenagers is for the U.K. government to offer them
a second dose! I can’t see any other solution being acceptable in France. Why would it be?
Perhaps if the NHS pass could recognise vaccinated and recovered but I am not holding my breath for that.
We are hoping to ski in France end of March and my teenager is offside for her first jab now, having just caught covid at school.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Received our Crit Air certificate today. Just wanted to know do people stick them on and leave them on their UK cars?

Also, toll road transponders. Is it worth getting one? Is the tag toll price cheaper than the booth price to justify the EUR 5monthly fee and set up costs?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 16-10-21 10:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, surely removing the -ve test from the PS would be political suicide? You can bet Le Pen is gagging for this to happen. It would give her a very large civil liberties hammer to drum in the run up to the elections. I expect they are already fuming that French unvaccinated have to pay €29 to be allowed to access society as of yesterday. If even that option is removed I can see it spelling disaster.

Or am I forming this opinion to save my skiing holiday dream?! Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@FrediKanoute, yes, just stick it on in the right hand corner of your windscreen. Toll doofer is very handy if you are also travelling at busy times for French travellers. Most toll booths now take cards so not as bad as sticking the coins in, but speeding past a line of traffic is a good feeling.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Timmycb5, I think it's a plausible opinion. I do know one individual who has been going on the weekly protests in Annecy, but he is, of course, double jabbed.

So perhaps much of it is just the French love of protesting in the streets.
ski holidays
@under a new name, the French do indeed love a protest.

I guess we’ll know the lay of the land soon enough.
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:

I guess we’ll know the lay of the land soon enough.

'Cos time is beginning to run out for the early skiers, for sure. 79 days and counting, and it could all so easily go south...
ski holidays
@FrediKanoute, no, using the doofer there is no discount on the toll fees compared to paying cash/card. As others have mentioned it can save you time during busy periods.

AFIAW you are only charged the 5 euro fee for the month that you use the doofer, ie if driving out in feb, that is the only month you will get charged for.

with regards to set up fees, you can normally get deals through the ferry companies/eurotunnel, i got mine years ago through eurotunnel, where the set up fee is waived. But from memory you still need to pay a deposit for the doofer, and in theory that is returned if and when when you hand back the doofer.
ski holidays
Still resisting a doofer, still fit enough to half clamber out to feed the cash in, drop the change in the car, scrabble to put belt back on etc. Also play guess the amount game, the joys travel....
latest report
FrediKanoute wrote:
Received our Crit Air certificate today. Just wanted to know do people stick them on and leave them on their UK cars?

How long has this been a condition? I drove down in March 20 oblivious to the need. Was I in breach and in danger of a pull from the plod? Or is it newer than that?
snow report
driving back from Calais to PDS last Tuesday, at one toll plaza there was a queue to use the doofer lanes and several empty card ones. I've never found a pressing need to get a doofer.
ski holidays
FrediKanoute wrote:
Yes, as it's car-specific anyway. Note the placement instructions.
Charliegolf wrote:
How long has this been a condition?
For a while now. But only (a) in the specified zones and (b) when it's invoked due to high levels of local pollution. But as some zones include common autoroutes to the Alps, it seems worth having it. Doubly so if you tour France in the summer.
Charliegolf wrote:
Also, toll road transponders. Is it worth getting one?
For me, yes. It's transferrable (not vehicle-specific like the Dartford tag) so my brother and I share a subscription. I've also used it with hire cars. Saves a load of faff and from time to time, saves a load of time at busy tolls like Reims. But some people like to save themselves the €10 on a £2K holiday, which is up to them, of course.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 16-10-21 14:05; edited 8 times in total
latest report
aalexander wrote:
driving back from Calais to PDS last Tuesday, at one toll plaza there was a queue to use the doofer lanes and several empty card ones. I've never found a pressing need to get a doofer.

In which case you use the card lane and the doofer opens the barrier anyway.
snow report
Quick clarification, we are on tunnel 23rd & our day 2 test will be 25th , so do we need a PCR or one of the new LF tests. It’s saying dong order them until 22nd so I’m a bit lost.
ski holidays
The new rules come into force on 24th Oct, and as you will have to book your test 48 hours before departure back to the U.K. and will be returning before the 24th, I would put my money on it being the old rules, I.e PCR.
snow report
@Jonny996, day 0 is the day of travel, so to complete the passenger locator form, your test needs to be ordered before day 0 and the code they send you completed on the PLF.

As for the doofer, if you lose a toll ticket between Lyon and Reims it can be quite expensive, as they charge you from the furthest toll point in Marseille. No chance of losing the doofer when you've taken over the driving and left the ticket with the hubby. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Macron announced yesterday that the Booster is required for over 65’s to use the COVID pass from 15 December.
The Telegraph today suggests it will apply to expats and tourists.
At the weekend the papers reported the NHS app is not programmed for the booster jab and the government hadn’t immediate plans to change it.
Lack of foresight comes to mind.
Will it impact entry requirements , there are many over 65’s brits regularly ski in France.
snow report
You can see the booster on the App, but it doesn't come through as a QR code. So you will be able to show something. I expect the UK will bring in something similar so the App will get updated to QR code eventually.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Duster, afaik, as long as the uk retains harmony with the EU pass, I'd expect it'll be fine. Macron won't be expecting the rest of Europe to simply follow his rules.
snow report
And I'll be called for my booster as of Dec 1, which will then make me entirely invulnerable, infection plus 3 jabs he he he.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Duster, afaik, as long as the uk retains harmony with the EU pass, I'd expect it'll be fine. Macron won't be expecting the rest of Europe to simply follow his rules.

That would be Austria's job Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Duster, Over 65s enter the world that parents of UK teenagers are already in. A world with an App which cannot provide proof of covid status as required by other countries. At least they can actually get the number of vaccinations required by them, unlike 12-15s.
snow report
@snowhound, just use e.g. Swiss or Italian apps, if you can get NHS QRs in. I think Italy only needs 1 jab for teens.
snow conditions
@under a new name, Yep, got flights to Geneva though. So it is basically Switzerland or France; got everything lined up for the latter (but can cancel)...might start exploring accommodation options for Switzerland-my concern is cost. Is Switzerland significantly more expensive than France?
Still can't a QR code from the NHS app though even with one jab.
snow conditions
@snowhound, I actually, provided you can get your NHS data into the app, just use e.g. the CH or IT ones, perfectly valid in France.
snow conditions
I think @snowhound is referring to the news today that over-65s will need to have had a booster to satisfy the French requirements, starting 15 Dec. In my case at least, the NHS app carries no record of that, so there isn't a way to put it into TousAntiCovid /Passe Sanitaire.
snow report
@snowhound, I think your comment of over 65’s entering the world of 12-15 teenagers is very pertinent. I don’t think it will be too long before Macron adds over 50’s. I wish I shared the confidence of some snow heads that it will be ok. That may be the case in time but not in the near future given what the government said at the weekend about no plans to change the app.

We leave on 10 Dec so hopefully entry to France will be ok.
The booster jab appears on the GP record part of the NHS app but nowhere else in my case. Having used the app extensively in France in the last couple of months, the French always use their COVID verification app to validate the QR code. A few lines on a GP record will not do. As we know if their own software is out of date you’ve had it.
Fortunately we know a couple of bar owners but that is it. Happy days.
ski holidays
Quote:
my brother and I share a subscription. But some people like to save themselves the €10 on a £2K holiday, which is up to them, of course.

That made me chuckle Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow report
snowhound wrote:
Is Switzerland significantly more expensive than France?

No. Or rather, not necessarily. This 'Of course, Switzerland is out because it's so expensive.' thing gets tedious after a while. Anyone stayed in Courcheval 1850 on piste and found it to be a bargain? Or in a hotel in Vail, ditto? Self-catering in an apartment needn't be any more expensive than anywhere else. Yes, the ski pass may cost more and yes, you do have to be careful to check prices. All I'm saying is that it's worth taking a a look for comparison purposes.
snow conditions
@LaForet, Thanks, didn't want to sound like a lazy assumption. Can you recommend a cheap(er) Swiss resort, ideally fairly close to Geneva for decent snow 11-8 December?
Cheers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy