Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, quick question for a new situation coming onto the radar now we have extended vaccinations to younger teenagers.
Lots of countries with Covid passes (or their equivalent) say they apply to all 'fully vaccinated' 12+....but we are giving only a single jab. Are they going to be counted as fully vaccinated by France/EU countries in terms of eating indoors etc?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowhound, Things may change before the season starts, but currently my understanding is that 12+ people need to be fully vacinated or show the results of a recent pcr test.

TBH I cannot understand why the UK children are not being given the correct dosage of the vacine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It needs an official statement to say 12-17 with single jab is fully vaccinated
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonny996, When we drove back in August we put an English address for the first few days (true!) and a Scottish one for the remainder of the 10 day period. We did a day 2 test in England.

Heard nothing from NHS or Public Health England but the Scottish equivalents did send us emails about taking a Scottish day 2 test, which we ignored.

If nothing changes I think that I'll just put down an English address for our November trip.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonny996, or that the NHS app (which can be used to generate a fully vaccinated status in the French app) recognises single doses in 12-17 year olds as full vaccination.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just on the train waiting to return
Our passports never got stamped even though we asked for it at the Uk border control
So technically the EU can see I entered on the 7th September but haven’t left as far as my passport says
So will they know when I next enter that I left tonight?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jafa, although ours weren't stamped on entry, they were scanned.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ours were diligently stamped on both arrival and departure from France but randomly on different pages in all 3 passports (3 of us in one car) by the same French person in the booth - seems there is no method to follow apart from randomness!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have wondered why they stamp the passports. Afterall they are scanned and stored digitally. I think it is a ploy fill our passports quickly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
I have wondered why they stamp the passports. Afterall they are scanned and stored digitally. I think it is a ploy fill our passports quickly.

I don’t think they are stored digitally, at least not across the Schengen zone - hence the electronic entry system that’s being introduced next year. My mate had a scary experience at Schipol - they’d not stamped his passport going out so he was taken into a back room to prove when he’s arrived (4 days previously) - thankfully he had his outbound boarding pass still on his phone. But they certainly didn’t have an electronic record of when he arrived, so as far as they were concerned he could have been in Schengen zone since January.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/entry-exit-system-ees/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow Monkey wrote:
We plan to return mid October to replace our kitchen (which is going to be a whole new world of problems) so if you're around it would be good to meet up for a coffee/beer/chat.

Really looking forwards to getting back there, it will be worth the hassle!

Just connecting back to an older exchange on this thread to say that we are thinking in earnest about an October trip. In fact quite possibly late Sept/early Oct since our diaries free up after next weekend, and we might have better chances of good weather for walking.

Also it looks as if using the Hull to Rotterdam ferry might be back on the cards. The Dutch rules are changing slightly from this week, so that vaccinated travellers from the UK no longer need to quarantine (which for those transiting was a theoretical issue since once in France there was no longer that need). However I can't see that they have taken away the need for a pre-travel test, though maybe there will be further clarification, anyway P&O will do one (for a fee) when you turn up for the ferry. And by the time we come back we will no longer need a pre-travel test to re-enter the UK.

Obviously the alternative is direct to France via Kent, but for us that does mean adding another day to the trip duration. And it seems the unavoidable M25 is now at risk from protestors as well as the usual traffic jams.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, i forgot to hand over our Swiss permits at Calais so she stamped Midget I’s UK passport before i threw them through the window at her. Luckily he has an irish one anyway otherwise it would have been a faff.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting and worrying article in Sunday Times today that, under the new rules. 12+ will no longer count as having the same vaccination status as their parents, even when they have not yet had the chance of their single jab. Which basically means they need all the testing and ten days at home afterwards.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowhound, are these UK rules from green list countries? The other unresolved question is how single jabbed 12-17 year olds will be viewed in EU.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowhound, Times story’s been updated - as you were (if you’re a UK resident).

snow report
@andy from embsay, FFS!! This is killing me...trying to sort half-term trip to Austria and planning on going via CH now to avoid potential hassles in D.
ski holidays
Well that’s reassuring, would have scuppered any chance of family holidays otherwise.
Am taking my teen for his jab tomorrow!
ski holidays
@Rookiescot, the trouble is not just the return to the UK but accessing restaurants etc when at your destination, or needing additional tests.
ski holidays
True… now worried about ski school… wonder if my boy will be allowed on lifts etc. Would be a bummer and mean more £££ on top for additional tests if the single jab is not recognised. Will the pass sanitaire needed for skiing this season?
snow report
@andy from embsay, Thanks I did think it would be politically impossible for the Government to effectively say 'If you want a family holiday, your children must be vaccinated'....given how contentious the issue of child vaccinations is for some (not me, I hasten to add, but each to their own).
In terms of how they are treated overseas...we are intending to ski in Tignes this December. If the girls can't go into a bar or restaurant then it's no biggie as we go for the skiing and self cater, but it would take away a bit of the fun element.
ski holidays
We are self catering in a P&V complex in Les Menuires this December and I asked the apartment owner what the policy of P&V were for single vaccinated UK teens. They are accepting a single jab as sufficient for general entry and for use of the pool and sauna in the complex.
Would be interesting to know if anyone on the ground in France knows if this is the policy across all businesses?
snow report
The French tourism minister is meeting with mountain business representatives today to discuss the implementation of the Health Pass being necessary to access the ski lifts this winter.......I think it's a great idea, it seems to be working well in bars/restaurants, just hope if it happens, that they can manage to avoid lift queues Very Happy
snow conditions
@KenX, looks very much like it. My limited understanding is that ot will be required to buy a lift pass, presumably checked at first lift? i.e. to cope with online orders.
snow report
I think the simplest way for them to work it will be someone checking the passes at each of the valley floor stations, shouldn't cause a hold-up as there'll be queues at that point anyway
snow report
I expect UK teenagers will have had the option to be double jabbed by the ski season. There are already slots to book a second vaccine on the NHS website for 16s and over.
latest report
snowymum wrote:
I expect UK teenagers will have had the option to be double jabbed by the ski season. There are already slots to book a second vaccine on the NHS website for 16s and over.

Good point - let’s hope so.
latest report
Article from The Connexion: "Could health passes be required when French ski resorts reopen?"
snow report
snowymum wrote:

+2 also agree with this.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do under 16's have to test regularly in France under the travel regs?

Hi - apologies if the forum / another poster has already covered this point. I have a ski trip booked for the Portes Du Soleil resort early January 2022. One of the group members is 13 years old, the other group members are all adults. We will be flying to Geneva and then transferring to France.

The covid situation concerning adults does not seem to be an issue. Entry requirements to Switzerland according .gov claim;

From 20 September, anyone who is eligible to enter Switzerland who has not been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or can demonstrate they have recovered from the virus. Unvaccinated children and adolescents arriving from the UK under the age of 18 are allowed to enter Switzerland and are accompanied by fully vaccinated adults. Children under the age of 16 are exempt from testing.

France entry requirements as per .gov states;

Children aged 12 years old or over who are not fully vaccinated and travelling with a fully vaccinated adult are required to present a negative test result (PCR or antigen). However, they do not need to provide an essential reason for travel, nor do they need to self-isolate on arrival.

However, upon arriving in France, having read a few online articles it is understood;

Travelers aged 12-15 who are unable to get a second dose and cannot be fully vaccinated under current UK vaccination policy, the only way to obtain a coronavirus passport (besides evidence of a recent infection) is with proof is to provide a negative test result at repeated intervals throughout the holiday. In France, three tests every two days to replenish your vaccine status on the Frenchpass sanitaire health pass app will cost about $65.

Is this correct? I cannot find any official guidance that suggests 12-15 year olds will need to be tested every 48 hours or so...?
snow report
Looks right to me. Teenagers don't need to be tested every 48 hours except if you would like them to visit establishments requiring passe sanitaire - eg restaurants, hotel with restaurant, spa, pool, cultural sites etc. Over the summer this didn't include ski lifts but this is under discussion for the ski season (see thread on The Piste).
To be honest this is such a fluid situation I would watch and wait.
It is also very easy to get tested in France at the local pharmacie for sensible cost so with one teen I personally would not let it scupper a holiday for a large group.
latest report
Skimum1 wrote:
Looks right to me. Teenagers don't need to be tested every 48 hours except if you would like them to visit establishments requiring passe sanitaire - eg restaurants, hotel with restaurant, spa, pool, cultural sites etc. Over the summer this didn't include ski lifts but this is under discussion for the ski season (see thread on The Piste).
To be honest this is such a fluid situation I would watch and wait.
It is also very easy to get tested in France at the local pharmacie for sensible cost so with one teen I personally would not let it scupper a holiday for a large group.

Thank you, that makes more sense!
ski holidays
PS I think the rule is generally 72h rather than 48h: https://www.gouvernement.fr/pass-sanitaire-toutes-les-reponses-a-vos-questions
snow report
@charlie1314, I often find it helpful to look at more local sources...

Also bearing in mind that iirc the law mandating PSs only current until (?) 15 Nov - but that really only means it'll be renewed then - but does indicate the general uncertainty.

Per Le Figaro, PSs not required under 12 y.o. and 12-17 y.o.s have a fairly broad range of exemptions https://www.lefigaro.fr/secteur/high-tech/voyages-en-corse-outre-mer-et-bientot-europe-comment-va-fonctionner-tousanticovid-carnet-20210419

So right now you can quite happily go on a family holiday and enjoy most things. Local public transport currently not included, which does make me wonder why they'll be needed for that most public of public transport, the chairlift.

So,
ski holidays
So, heading out to our place in Thollon three weeks today for the half term, and it's driving me crazy trying to work out just what tests we will/won't need for outward & return journeys (via Eurotunnel). It's far more uncertain now than it was when we went in August !!

Wife & I are double vacc, so only need to test on day 2 after return (no tests needed outward or prior to return). Easy peasy.

Two kids, aged 13 & 15 - likely to have received first vaccine at some point prior to departure (but school not yet confirmed dates, so it could be more than 3 weeks before our return, but maybe not).

I've no idea what their status will be - as the UK has only offered them one vaccine will the UK regard them as "fully vaccinated"? I know they'll need the same day 2 test after return as us, but will they need a pre-departure test to get into France (if France do not recognise them as "fully vaccinated") and will they need a pre-departure test to get back into the UK (if UK do not recognise them as "fully vaccinated")? As usual, can't find anything official on the web from our oh-so-clear Government.

It's making my head wobble. Puzzled
ski holidays
@DeuxBieres, im in the same boat as you, going 15th. today things just got a little bit easier with Scotland coming in to line with rest of UK on pre departure tests
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
@DeuxBieres, im in the same boat as you, going 15th. today things just got a little bit easier with Scotland coming in to line with rest of UK on pre departure tests

Good news but I had literally just bought myself 5 x C19 lateral flow tests to use as predeparture tests for our return to Scotland! Argh!! Hoping we can use these at some point to replace the day 2 PCR.
snow report
No particular insight but I can see no reason why France, a country that is double jabbing teenagers and has done for some time, would regard those coming from UK as fully vac on account of UK policy. I would expect the French LFT requirement to stay the same especially given the high UK caseload.

Also last I looked you could not get an NHS covid pass if you are under 16 so you might struggle to get proof of any vaccination (I have a friend whose 15 yo is double jabbed and it’s not much use travelling to France because his vaccinations aren’t on the NHS app. This of course may change in time).

As for the return tests I think these are being abolished for fully vaccinated and under 18s but I don’t think the letter of the rules has been published yet. So I’d watch and wait for that. In any event it’s better to get those locally in my experience.

I think we will be stuck with day 2 PCR so all the testing companies can use up their stocks and charge us handsomely for the privilege and also have time to stock up on get LFTs. But again watch and wait, you only need to book just before you come back so you have the code for the PLF.
ski holidays
For anyone wanting a cheap day 2 PCR test, I ordered some from Expert Medicals for just £28. Delivery was stated as 5 days, but they arrived at home in less than 2. I even told the DPD driver to just post them through the door when he knocked as the Blink camera alerted me.
I had the Booking reference for the Passenger Locator forms in just a few minutes. Obviously not used them yet, but you post into a Royal Mail priority post box and there are several locally.
latest report
I just got a news alert that the U.K. is on the brink of joining the EU vaccine passport scheme - good news if it’s true!
snow report
Skimum1 wrote:
I just got a news alert that the U.K. is on the brink of joining the EU vaccine passport scheme - good news if it’s true!

Would this mean day 2 PCRs scrapped all together?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy