Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has everyone written of this season then??

Poster: A snowHead
Well.... I'm hanging on to a teeny weeny bit of hope that we may be able to get a bit of skiing in somewhere (not Scotland) be it very late - well into April.
Able to drop everything and go last minute if the opportunity arises.
We can but hope ...... No squashing my hoping please!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Handy Turnip wrote:
snowball wrote:
I got vaccinated yesterday. Nice, but practically, I can't see it helping me to actually ski.

Great news about the vaccination! Yes, I think you're right, I'm not sure it'll help you ski this season.

It's probably one for another thread, but I also think they need to be careful about the vaccination passport approach at a time when people don't have any choice over when they are vaccinated. I could see a situation where we have a bit of a rebellion if suddenly there are a load of vaccinated 60+ year olds allowed to travel etc, if younger people are still restricted and could still be 6months plus away from being vaccinated. I can see a few younger people starting to the break the rules with the view that they were in lockdown to prevent deaths to the older/vulnerable,and now they can see those people being allowed travelling!

No evidence that there is any proposal of any kind of vaccination passport approach at this stage anyway!!!

Yeah I think no vaccine/no fly will be a very difficult sell on a policy basis in the short-mid term for precisely the reasons you articulate - mass disobediance. I think SAGA, while economically needing to fill their coffers are probably "sailing" close to the wind anyway with such a policy as its almost a "Right ho - us wrinklies are off for a right old knees up" to everyone else who has given up so much. The only difference being that you need to be a very distinct demographic to care about SAGA cruises.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Kooky, Do you have a link for the Schladming announcement?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cad99uk, I can't see an announcement. On the Planai website there's a lift of which lifts are open which appears to stop at 14.02. But it doesn't actually say that the whole area is closing then.

https://www.planai.at/de/planai-aktuell/news/geänderte+betriebszeiten+planai+%26+hochwurzen_n14434
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cad99uk wrote:
@Kooky, Do you have a link for the Schladming announcement?

It's not clear but the 14.02.2021 pops up a lot on this link
https://www.planai.at/de/planai-aktuell/news/geänderte+betriebszeiten+planai+%26+hochwurzen_n14434
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@queenie pretty please, @DB, Thanks. I agree with QPP that it refers to the additional weekend lifts.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The resorts just can't sustain operating at the current level of loss. Unless the 28/2 date becomes a certainty well in advance I'd fully expect resorts to start scaling down, at the least, very soon. If the 28/2 gets put back again then I'd reckon that's it.

Next season worries me. The stooges just keep sowing seeds of doubt in my mind about restrictions in winter, certainly in 21/22, maybe even beyond. I want to book for next year to give me something to look forward to but I don't deal well with disappointment imposed, so I'm hesitating.

Without going OT into Covid in general there's a tipping point to all this. I just don't know when it is yet? They must have Behavioural Psychologists telling them how long they've got before people start forming lynch mobs?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sharpen the pitchforks boys, we'll take the lifts by force
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm pretty sure the Austrian lift companies are receiving some sort of government support as are hotels, restaurants, retail, etc. They have already scaled down with fewer lifts open Mondays to Thursdays and a few more Fridays to Sundays. Some ski areas haven't opened at all. Until we know what the next stage of restrictions are after the semester holidays, I doubt there will be any official decisions. Even without tourism and gastronomy some ski areas are still relatively busy on sunny weekends, and some of the car parks are often full (presumably tourers and langlaufers too).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cad99uk wrote:
@queenie pretty please, @DB, Thanks. I agree with QPP that it refers to the additional weekend lifts.

Maybe they have to run certain lifts (e.g. legal requirement) but as of 14 Feb 2021 they are not going to run any additional lifts.
Is there much to ski when only the minimum lifts are running?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DB, I'm at work Monday to Thursday so I only get the extended Friday to Sunday options, which are pretty good. The larger ski areas still seem to have a fair bit on offer on Mondays to Thursdays, usually half a dozen lifts and pistes. Not too shabby at all.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went up the Schönleitenbahn gondola at Saalbach this afternoon (Thursday) and was surprised to see that the car park was pretty full - and it’s a big car park. From the top I skied directly down virtually deserted pistes to Saalbach, which made sense, because, once down in the village, the only option would be to walk down to the Schattberg Xpress (the other two village centre gondolas being closed) and go up the other side of the valley, or alternatively take the ski bus back down the valley to the Schönleitenbahn.
It follows therefore that the majority of the car owners would have stuck around the Schönleiten area, or most probably gone over to Leogang.
I was skiing in Leogang yesterday and can’t say it was busy, but there were enough punters to make it worthwhile running the lifts. Although so much of the Ski Circus is closed, there is nonetheless enough that is open to thin people out and make it seem quiet on the pistes and lifts. I wore myself out yesterday but never had to share a gondola or chair lift with anyone other than my companion, so it feels very safe.
The wearing of masks is rigorously enforced - my companion was ticked off for having allowed his to slip down, as we were sitting in a gondola cabin, passing through a mid-station.
A friend recently wrote to the local lift company to ask whether they had any plans to close any lifts, and the reply, received a couple of days ago, was to the effect that they are still hoping to open more lifts as and when feasible, and there are certainly no plans to close the lift system.
There are reports of people booking earlier than usual for next season - no doubt being pragmatic about this season, but wanting to feel that they’ve got something in place and to have something to look forward to.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is most ominous for next season:
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/could-the-australian-approach-to-covid-work-in-britain

I have already resigned myself to writing off this season, but I am now getting deeply worried about next year as well. I am not sure if I can deal with yet more disappointment. How much longer can this go on for? There is an endless shifting of the goalposts and a complete lack of coherent policy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JackSkier, The spectator has been a great contra-indicator.

Early on, it was rabidly anti-lockdown and almost in COVID-denial. It gave a strong platform to the Henegan/Gupta school of thought that we'd all had COVID and/or had magical protection from cross-reactive antibodies from the common cold, and the whole thing was overblown.

Now (possibly linked to one of its editors being fined last week for his "misleading" article about the UK being close to herd immunity) it seems to be swinging the other way.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowdave, I don't think that is particularly fair. The Spectator has embraced a range of viewpoints throughout the whole crisis. It has moreover been evoking some critical questions that have been fundamentally absent from media discourse; such as the consequences of lockdown (both economic and in terms of public health) and the fact that 'the science' is not necessarily a homogeneous body of thought. Would you rather that media outlets merely toed the government line without asking the hard questions?
latest report
Quote:

I am not sure if I can deal with yet more disappointment

About ski holidays????????? Shocked

As for the Spectator - disgraceful rag.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I am not sure if I can deal with yet more disappointment

About ski holidays????????? Shocked

Looking forward to skiing is how I get through 70-80 hour weeks of university work. Having something to look forward to is important for a lot of people. The mental health impact of this crisis should not be underestimated; among my age group, and beyond, I know many people who are really struggling.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
@JackSkier, The spectator has been a great contra-indicator.

Early on, it was rabidly anti-lockdown and almost in COVID-denial. It gave a strong platform to the Henegan/Gupta school of thought that we'd all had COVID and/or had magical protection from cross-reactive antibodies from the common cold, and the whole thing was overblown.

Now (possibly linked to one of its editors being fined last week for his "misleading" article about the UK being close to herd immunity) it seems to be swinging the other way.

Spectator has always struck me as a variety of self-serving cowdoo wrapped up in some pseudo intellectualism. Probably befitting a rag that employed BoJo for so long.
ski holidays
JackSkier wrote:
@snowdave, I don't think that is particularly fair. The Spectator has embraced a range of viewpoints throughout the whole crisis. It has moreover been evoking some critical questions that have been fundamentally absent from media discourse; such as the consequences of lockdown (both economic and in terms of public health) and the fact that 'the science' is not necessarily a homogeneous body of thought. Would you rather that media outlets merely toed the government line without asking the hard questions?

Totally agree with this... at least it brings some balance!
latest report
Quote:

They must have Behavioural Psychologists telling them how long they've got before people start forming lynch mobs?

Fairly sure I read that they do factor in public behaviour
ski holidays
Vallorcine Brits:

(Apologies in advance for Daily Heil link)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9175915/France-coronavirus-British-gap-year-students-quarantined-ski-resort.html

It seems they are booked to a 10 week snowboard instruction course in Verbier. Looks like they were doing their 10 days quarantine over the border in Vallorcine but 16 of the group tested positive.

Not just another nail in the coffin for Brits ski season. More like a JCB load of earth on top of the long sunk grave.
snow conditions
@bensaunders1973, +1. You might not agree with the questions the Spectator are asking, but they deserve to be asked otherwise the Government gets a carte blanche to do whatever it wants, without even trying to justify their decisions. Whatever your opinions on lockdowns etc, the mainstream media have pretty much parroted whatever the Government has asked them to.
snow conditions
Android2000 wrote:
Vallorcine Brits:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9175915/France-coronavirus-British-gap-year-students-quarantined-ski-resort.html

It seems they are booked to a 10 week snowboard instruction course in Verbier. Looks like they were doing their 10 days quarantine over the border in Vallorcine but 16 of the group tested positive.

Not just another nail in the coffin for Brits ski season. More like a JCB load of earth on top of the long sunk grave.

Who the feck knows the rights and wrongs of that? Travel for essential business is allowed. Most of us would say a Gap yah course is far from essential business but technically it might be positioned as such particularly by the course providers. If the French rules allow hotels to be open and encourage guests then it's largely a question of when not if they get a case. It's crappy journalism of course but I don't see how communes can have it both ways - be lobbying to be open yet moaning about safety everytime they have a case which inevitably spreads.
ski holidays
@Android2000, there has also been a cluster here in Flachau. 29 Ski instructors from several countries including British, Dutch and Germans, the locals are also not impressed. Last season Flachau was one of the first towns to be placed under complete quarantine and they absolutely do not want to go through that again.
ski holidays
Dont think the Schengen argument for doing your quarantine in one country and then ok to travel to the next applies.

As non EU citizens - you have no right of free travel between France and Switzerland. If they were going to do training in Switzerland then they should have gone to Switzerland and followed the Swiss procedures including justifying why they were there. It looks like they were just trying to exploit the lack of border control between Vallorcine and Suisse.
snow conditions
Kooky wrote:
@Android2000, there has also been a cluster here in Flachau. 29 Ski instructors from several countries including British, Dutch and Germans, the locals are also not impressed. Last season Flachau was one of the first towns to be placed under complete quarantine and they absolutely do not want to go through that again.

From what I understand, Salzburg have now put a stop to instructor courses
latest report
@Sitter, yep
snow conditions
@Kooky, good! I'm fecked if they quarantine flachau when the apartment has to be slept in in February for insurance cover (there is no concession on this point)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, the numbers have now risen to 42 positive tests and the Bürgermeister has ordered all Flachauers to an emergency testing on Sunday Shocked

https://www.pnp.de/nachrichten/panorama/Buergermeister-sauer-42-Skilehrer-Schueler-in-Flachau-Corona-positiv-3895648.html
ski holidays
@Kooky, sorry to hear that - must be very worrying. I hope they manage to isolate the cases and stop any spread.
snow report
@Kooky, yes I saw the mass testing on the gemeinde website.

Where are they staying,?
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Just about, although I have accommodation booked for a week in early March in Scotland. I'm just hoping that by then a) the Scottish ski areas will have been allowed to re-open, b) they have snow, and c) travel from England to Scotland will be allowed by then, but I hae ma doots Smile

Currently snowing up here in Scotland as we speak. I've been following the Glencoe Ski Centre on Facebook and it's looking great!
I hope you're able to come up for your trip!
snow conditions
https://www.meinbezirk.at/salzburg/c-wirtschaft/seilbahnen-halten-offen-und-wollen-damit-etwas-zurueckgeben_a4448805

Some good news?
Salzburg lift companies are staying open until early March, with the possibility of opening up more lifts for the Semesterferien. They realise despite running at minus 85%, they want to give something back to the locals and also see this as an investment in Winterslow for the children and youths.

Of course it could all change, but here's hoping.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I'm not sure looked like a larger hotel on the outskirt of Flachau but the name isn't being released.
snow conditions
Kooky wrote:
@holidayloverxx, the numbers have now risen to 42 positive tests and the Bürgermeister has ordered all Flachauers to an emergency testing on Sunday Shocked

https://www.pnp.de/nachrichten/panorama/Buergermeister-sauer-42-Skilehrer-Schueler-in-Flachau-Corona-positiv-3895648.html

I get the mayor's viewpoint.
snow report
Android2000 wrote:
Vallorcine Brits:

Organised by BASI!!!
ski holidays
Someone hasn't Laughing

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/viral/ski-sunday-man-filmed-skiing-down-street-in-wiltshire-in-uk/vi-BB1d3dqG
latest report
So far no further positive results from today's mass testing in Flachau, so it seems the outbreak has been confined to the group of trainee ski instructors. All ski instructor training in Land Salzburg has now been cancelled this season as a result of this.
snow report
Mass testing has stopped today in Lauterbrunnen and Wengen. I was going to go back as one nostril was feeling left out not having a swab shoved up it last Monday. But Lauterbrunnen SchnellTestZentrum closed early. Anyway, all those I've been with over the last week have tested negative in last 2 days.
snow conditions
This season is a complete write off IMO. The only slim possibility I think, will be a late season haunt to Scotland, or somewhere high in the alps. We will have to see but if out these chances at -10% or less
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy