Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has everyone written of this season then??

Poster: A snowHead
Just want to gage opinions on this season and will it actually happen?

Covid made me have to cancel a family trip to La Plagne last March, and having re-booked for this coming March, I'm still clinging onto hope that we still might have a slight chance we will be going.

Anyone else still have things booked and hold hope like me?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 11-01-21 20:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're booked for val thorens for 13th March. Flights are still there at present but I'd say there's about a 2 percent chance of going. Have resigned myself to moving it to next year, but waiting until its officially called
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not at all. I'm skiing every weekend. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@queenie pretty please, You can go off people you know.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Roscoe, Me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just about, although I have accommodation booked for a week in early March in Scotland. I'm just hoping that by then a) the Scottish ski areas will have been allowed to re-open, b) they have snow, and c) travel from England to Scotland will be allowed by then, but I hae ma doots Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haven’t totally given up the possibility of eg Zermatt or Saas Fee in late April or even May (I guess the resorts will keep open the pistes this year as long as possible, especially as the ski traffic will have been lighter). But I guess lots of us are thinking the same so demand > supply
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm still holding out hope I can get some skiing in. My work calendar is flexible in March and April, and I can book and go last minute. I know there's a good chance it won't be possible, but I'm not writing it off yet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pjd wrote:
Haven’t totally given up the possibility of eg Zermatt or Saas Fee in late April or even May (I guess the resorts will keep open the pistes this year as long as possible, especially as the ski traffic will have been lighter). But I guess lots of us are thinking the same so demand > supply

That's one of my biggest concerns if our trip does go ahead. The resorts and slopes will be absolutely jam packed!! But I'll still happily take that just to be in the mountains with skis on!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not yet, but I'm putting it as a 5% chance of being able to travel sometime before the end of April, and that's still dwindling
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wrote it off long ago..... booked flights & accommodation for December today though.
If the vaccine fails, then the world needs to accept the virus and man up.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got Easter flights still booked but nothing else committed yet so I'll just wait a while yet to see how things pan out before moving
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:
Wrote it off long ago..... .

This. I wrote it off long ago, in summer last year.

Over the last 25 years I have always had at least 1, usually 2or 3 foreign trips booked at any one time. We came back from Italy ok in Feb by the skin of our teeth and I never bothered even booking last year's Fontainebleau Easter trip, the Finale May MTB trip, the summer Alps trip or the annual October Deep Water Soloing trip. Much less the Feb skiing trip.
Got nothing at all booked for this year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Has anyone managed to go skiing?
ski holidays
Lads trip to Morzine/Avoriaz was due this Thurs . . .cancelled some time ago.

Still hoping for a late DIY trip to Zell/Kaprun . . .failing that Trysil . . ? Can leave at short notice these days so fingers crossed . . .
ski holidays
Hedging our bets with a reputable supplier. When one gets cancelled rebook later on in the season.
snow report
Wrote it off a while ago (it had been booked since last February and we’re supposed to go next Sunday) but the operator was still planning to open, up until about a month ago. They’re now not opening until mid-February and I fully expect that to be shelved. We’ve re-arranged it for 12 months hence, and hoping things will be saner by then.
snow report
I'm supposed to be doing the Haute Route start of April (flights and huts are booked) so fingers crossed it will be possible by then.
latest report
Quote:

Has everyone written of this season then??

Errrmm... Yes. Had a flat booked for the season which I have just cancelled. If things improve I'll do something last minute. Currently in London; had planned to be in Bourg St Maurice. But, Boris won't let me out and Macron won't let me in.
snow report
Due to fly this Friday, flights moved to March for 2 weeks, 2nd and 3rd week.
Flights also booked for long weekend at Easter.

Not expecting either to happen. Mentally jacked in the season but not actually cancelled it all yet.

Have got plans to do my L1 instructor course in a snowdome at easter, as November was cancelled, just waiting for easter flights to get cancelled before getting on with booking that.

L2 course hopefully in June assuming I can get all my shadowing, first aid etc done, if not not November or December.
latest report
no yet...VT booked for family easter trip and still cautiously optimistic...driving so no worries about flights. I can book ferry/chunnel. Booked through tourist office so have cancellation option until day before. Worst case ill bump the date to xmas....
snow report
"Everyone"? That's pretty presumptive!

Everyone isn't in the same shoe... Even the idea of "gauge opinion" is pretty random opinion. Doubt there'll be any consensus.

That said, March will not be any different than now.
ski holidays
Yes.
ski holidays
Yes. I wrote it off when the impact of the new variant became apparent. If the resorts can't open for half term then I can see them starting to abandon the season too (although they may not officially announce that, to delay refunds needing to be offered).
latest report
Given up on this season. Boy, am I excited about next season? And it's still only January! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
No. While there's snow there's hope.

Things are changing so quickly, hoping for mid March and it may be possible, should get my first jab well before then so who knows. If not then hope for EOSB, if not then maybe stop off for a day or two to get some high stuff on the way to the Riviera in May or even some in July also on the way south.

If the opportunity opens for me then I will be there, if it doesn't then the budget for next season just got doubled. Very Happy
latest report
We wrote our trip off to Passo Tonale for late March just before Xmas. We were party of 7 but from 5 different households from various areas of the country. We had a 4.5k balance to pay off so cancelled the entire booking and lost 100 quid deposit each. We didn't want the faff trying for a refund and didn't want vouchers etc as none of us could definitely be sure we can make 2022 at this stage... Gutted to say the least as we all missed 2020 as well for various personal reasons so was looking forward to all getting together again... Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We’re hopeful but not expectant
latest report
Whether March/April happens ski-holiday wise is very 50:50 at best

France's banning of clubs or country playing rugby against British teams gives an idea of their mindset. Even if they get their situation under control, they know how easily it can spiral out of control again, and it is unclear how much of recent surgery in UK and Ireland due to new variant, which they will want to minimize importation of as much as possible
snow conditions
Mixture of Covid and Brexit means this season is written off.

Uk travellers are banned from entering the Schengen area, as a non-safe third country.

There is no chance of the UK Covid level going down to that of the few third countries that are allowed to enter Schengen - New Zealand etc - before May.

So no skiing this season for UK citizens.
snow report
@peanuthead, @Android2000, I just love the little rays of sunshine on here! Laughing
snow conditions
April is a long way off. If the UK ramps up the vaccine program can see some lifting of restrictions possible by March/April.
snow report
I would be surprised if we were in safe third country status by 2021/22 season the way the current UK government is handling things.
snow report
@BobinCH, the current government target is to give the first dose of vaccine to those aged 70 and above by mid Feb, and those ages 65 and above (possibly 60 and above) by end March.

The second dose will be given up to 12 weeks after the first dose.

So even the cohort aged 70+ will not be fully immunised until mid-May.

For the majority of working age people in UK, there will be no vaccine this side of the summer.
latest report
Still hoping to ski in the Spanish Pyrenees , maybe by mid feb
snow report
@Android2000, I’m a Uk citizen and I’m off out for a wee skate in about an hour... and probably touring Thursday ...

So your generalization is a bit sweeping Twisted Evil
snow conditions
We've written it off.

Even if the lifts do open (in France/Italy etc) and/or international tourism resumes in some way, there are going to be sooooo.... many people it will be quite unpleasant. Even though skiing can be seen as a naturally distanced sport, the fact is that lift queues are going to be massive and will more than likely be a giant bundle and the pistes will be really busy etc - there will be people all over everywhere all the time - I don't enjoy that kind of skiing.

We'll give it a miss and hope it's better next year.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 12-01-21 8:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Extremophile, the lifts are open, it's not unpleasantly busy and lift queues are managed very well. No fake news please. Smile
latest report
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Extremophile, the lifts are open, it's not unpleasantly busy and lift queues are managed very well. No fake news please. Smile

My fault, I meant in France. When they allow normal tourism to recommence. Not just pro training, clubs, or touring.

Edited my original comment to clarify that - no accusations of fake news needed.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 12-01-21 8:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy