Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has everyone written of this season then??

Poster: A snowHead
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Oh they absolutely would, but our tabloids are also undeniably ****s.

Yes, that sensational distortion appears to be the only tool most leading "rags" will consider in their undignified scrabbling for readership.

Not recently, but a contemporary editor of one of the above was stating their approach to any head/strap line to a story. They refused to consider any material from their report team that didn't give a clear and contentious split, be that moral, class, money, nation or any other category we could mention.
They put it, "in basic terms, that attention grabber simply sells more circulation" always has and always will. Even the most feint link to current story, that they may even "flip flop" in the piece, to in effect deny their own primary writing, would still be sufficient to use those headline.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I didn't expect the thread to go in the direction it has gone.

Lets all hope, whatever your situation, that you get on the slopes as soon as its safe to do so!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rjs, did I sound as if I was being serious?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is Saas Fee on the Ski Amade Super Duper Ski season pass or do you have to pay extra?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For some reason (probably best left to the psycho analysts), I decided to pop back in here for the first time in a while.... stumbled upon this thread and just read the whole thing in one sitting.

Oh my life, I’ve missed you lot Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And we've missed you @Schuss in Boots!
We could do with a bloody good laugh
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Schuss in Boots, BOOTSY! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yes written off, first time in 35 years no skiing for me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Saalbach has a new Gondola link to Saas Fee ski area.

On looking out of my window earlier, I noticed that the Schattberg Xpress gondola had been closed due to high winds. Can anyone direct me to this new gondola, in case the weather is better in Saas Fee?
In other news, a British neighbour of ours drove down a few days ago, via the Chunnel (apparently breezed his way through, even though he only has a holiday home here in Saalbach). Our elderly Austrian neighbour nearly had a fit! Convinced he’s imported the British variant - negative test certificate or not.

What an ingnorant, selfish &%^%£%
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got two trips 1/2 organised (done before the full scale of covid was apparent). One has accomodation but no transport plans and the other flights but nothing else.

Fully expect neither to actually happen. Don't really feel too hopeful for summer holidays either. At least that way it can only get better.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some people are still trying !!

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2021-01-13/french-police-stop-ski-trip-group-from-boarding-eurostar-in-london

https://twitter.com/EurostarJustinp/status/1349312365330898944
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I saw this. I genuinely cannot understand what they were thinking of. The reputation of British skiers is already in the gutter...this doesn't help. Taking your skis FFS
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
UK Nationals, resident in the UK should need an Exit Visa before being allowed to leave the country, perhaps with the requirement reviewed monthly. There are a very limited set of people who can legally travel abroad. So why not enforce what is the law? This isn't lots of people ignoring the rules, it's just a very small minority. It's easy to enforce at airline check in, Eurotunnel or ferry terminals - no visa? no further. Most people who are entitled to go should be able to get the certifications they need. Seems to me the current situation allows the HO to take the 'If only people would obey the rules!' line rather than actually do something simple to enforce the law. And at the same time, it would reinforce the case for other countries to open their borders to UK visitors if they thought the UK authorities actually gave a **** about the people they allowed to travel.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@admin, NehNeh Laughing

@Kooky, Mwaahh
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LaForet wrote:
UK Nationals, resident in the UK should need an Exit Visa before being allowed to leave the country, perhaps with the requirement reviewed monthly. There are a very limited set of people who can legally travel abroad. So why not enforce what is the law? This isn't lots of people ignoring the rules, it's just a very small minority. It's easy to enforce at airline check in, Eurotunnel or ferry terminals - no visa? no further. Most people who are entitled to go should be able to get the certifications they need. Seems to me the current situation allows the HO to take the 'If only people would obey the rules!' line rather than actually do something simple to enforce the law. And at the same time, it would reinforce the case for other countries to open their borders to UK visitors if they thought the UK authorities actually gave a **** about the people they allowed to travel.

Spot on! No point making rules that are just not going to be enforced, its pointless legislating.
latest report
iainm wrote:
I saw this. I genuinely cannot understand what they were thinking of. The reputation of British skiers is already in the gutter...this doesn't help. Taking your skis FFS

Maybe they were just "delivering goods" to a resort although the customs implications are probably a disincentive to try that logic.
snow report
rungsp wrote:
The head of the Genome sequencing team in the UK was on the radio this morning.

He said they started looking for the variant that is now the so-called British variant....but only after having been asked to do so by one of "our European neighbours" which had spotted something going on in their country. My money would be on Germany where in December the rates just kept going up while the restrictions got tighter and tighter.

They asked to UK to look for it because the UK does nearly 50% of all the CV sequencing in the world!
10% of all positive tests get sequenced in the UK.

The fact that it took hold in Kent always suggested to me that it was likely to have originated from Continental Europe. So that kinda confirms it! But because the UK has advanced genomic testing, we're getting the blame for it! rolling eyes
snow conditions
I think this ski season has now gone for UK tourists.

By my reckoning this is the timeline for easing the lockdown in the UK.

0. Implement full lockdown (done)

1. Immunise x% of the population (late Spring)

2. Once x% inoculation has been achieved - continue restrictions for y weeks to extinguish / suppress prevalent strains.

3. Start easing lockdown restrictions mean go fully in the summer, i.e., retain tier’d restrictions until ‘all’ of the non-vaccinated population* is vaccinated.

In the UK, x% immunised will be late Spring (I.e., not just the extremely vulnerable) PLUS the y weeks equals July / summer.

Now add to the fact that Europe’s vaccination programmes are z weeks behind the UK, suggests there’s not a hope of legitimately getting away for a ski holiday.

Now you can take a view on x, y and z but the crime to avoid is inoculating a low proportion of the population (albeit they are the most vulnerable). Only for the virus to mutate in the rest of the population and render the current vaccines useless; thereby restarting the whole lockdown / vaccine manufacturer cycle again with new batches of vaccines.

* it also adds another pressure on anti vaxxers who think taking the vaccine is a wholly personal choice - there’s a role to play in society that relates to taking the vaccine to a) not transmit the live virus as well as b) hosting it and helping mutations evolve.

So even with the speediest predictions of vaccine rollout and with the most optimistic uptake, there is a quite a way to go get.

As an aside, whilst the flu vaccine has many similarities; due to the flu virus being with us for decades the evolution of the strains is relatively low, we have plenty of partial immunity in our bodies from previous infections as well as a well developed strain tracking / vaccine development programme. With Coronavirus we are just starting to build up our knowledge.

So hopefully the uptake of vaccination will be high and the roll out speedy!
ski holidays
sasha320 wrote:

Amen to that! I'd add that I think anti-vaxxers will be forced into getting vaccinated. Pimlico Plumbers came out this week and made it a condition of employment going forward and I can see more employers following suit. I can see airlines denying boarding without a valid vaccination; countries denying entry without a valid vaccination certificate; places like nurseries and play centres denying entry unless children and adults are vaccinated (children obviously once the vaccine is proven effective and safe for kids).
snow report
@FrediKanoute, for airlines that will be difficult. They can't block people unless they have had the opportunity to be vaccinated - in the UK that might be the case for all adults by late summer, but for other countries might be delayed further (and the flights skiers are interested in tend to involve at least two countries).
snow conditions
my understanding is you have zero proof to prove you have been vaccinated
latest report
Some countries (Poland, Iceland) *already* have laws which allow visitors to avoid quarantine if they can prove they have had a Covid vaccine to the reqiured dosage. (non essenital travel is still banned, but the quarantine aspect can be skipped for essential travel). I expect, in the fullness of time, this is how travel will be unblocked - vaccine will mean less or no quarantine, but there will still be restrictions.

In the UK, every person has the right to get their medical record from their GP. This will contain dates of 1st and 2nd vaccine doses, if a person has had it.
ski holidays
@Jonny996, I can this listed via PatientAccess App showing I had first vaccine yesterday.
latest report
Anyone remember the vaccination certificates that one used to carry with passport??
snow conditions
Quote:

Some countries (Poland, Iceland) *already* have laws which allow visitors to avoid quarantine if they can prove they have had a Covid vaccine to the reqiured dosage. (non essenital travel is still banned, but the quarantine aspect can be skipped for essential travel). I expect, in the fullness of time, this is how travel will be unblocked - vaccine will mean less or no quarantine, but there will still be restrictions.

That only works if we can jump queues to vaccination, or there are private outlets for it. Otherwise, the portion of the population that we are trying to protect (the elderly) will start traveling and having fun, while the rest of us are still waiting to get in line.

That, and frontline workers which are absolutely deserving of their holidays, but sadly they still won't get it anytime soon.
snow report
Govt is saying everyone will be vaccinated by Sep 2021. Another year of staycations in the UK
snow report
That's still 4 months of travelling towards the end of the year. I am definitely not going to be seeing the same 4 walls after the whole vaccination fun is done Laughing
snow report
@Boris, glad to hear you are now vaccinated (once, presumably?). Can your patient access record be printed out in a form that another country would take seriously?
My first vaccination on Wednesday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@colinstone, I have a vaccination certificate with my passport for the yellow fever jab I had last year.

Maybe that's the answer - anyone who wants to travel and needs evidence of vaccination has to ask for a vaccination certificate...............and as nothing (much) in this life is free........ I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is a fee for issue.
latest report
snowball wrote:
@Boris, glad to hear you are now vaccinated (once, presumably?). Can your patient access record be printed out in a form that another country would take seriously?
My first vaccination on Wednesday.

Printing? Good grief get with C21 and just show the details on your phone rolling eyes
snow report
@snowball, I can export my record from App to PDF so yes can print. Although how official it is, easy to fake, I don’t know
ski holidays
So tried it out of interest - be pretty easy to copy IMO

I’m sure some sort of agreed format will be on the cards
latest report
I admire the confidence in our fast vaccination program, but if we can deliver 2 million a week for 12 weeks we then need to give the 2nd jab to those people so after 24 weeks we have fully vaccinated 24 million people. This gets us to June! If we can ramp up our capability to 4 million (assumes both vaccine supply and delivery capability) at around 12 weeks then obviously we can start doing 1st and 2nd doses in parallel and keep a rolling program going.
Given the government's ability to over promise and under deliver, I don't think they will get around 50 million (given 70% uptake) vaccinated by the autumn.
snow report
And no matter how quickly we get it done here in the UK, other countries will still be building herd immunity and will keep travel into their countries limited to suppress their local strains and not import new ones and invalidate their vaccines.
snow report
@sasha320, surely 1 of the benefits of mass vaccination is herd immunity?
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
So tried it out of interest - be pretty easy to copy IMO

I’m sure some sort of agreed format will be on the cards

They do something similar through DVLA for current license to drive, just a time limited code you can share with hire companies to enable them to check your details.
snow conditions
There is a significant push globally for a more modern international vaccination certification system - and one that's more than just a bit of card with just an official-looking stamp and unreadable signature on it. Against this, there's also a significant proportion of citizens who have an aversion to any digital solution, for a wide range of both rational and irrational reasons. This needs to play out. In the process, I see a lot of tension and conflict as different interests vie with each other, until a final compromise is worked out. It'll be interesting to see what emerges: perhaps something as antiquated as the UK Immigration COVID PDF Form with a QCode on it or as sophisticated as an Apple iOS Wallet. I have a suspicion that the waverers won't be swayed so much by logic as by necessity - e.g. when bars, gigs and other venues and events use the same app to validate for COVID safety and when you basically won't be able to check in at the airport, get on a ferry or board Eurotunnel without it.
ski holidays
FrediKanoute wrote:
sasha320 wrote:

Pimlico Plumbers came out this week and made it a condition of employment going forward and I can see more employers following suit.

I think it is going to be interesting future.
Should a vaxx be mandatory? No
Would I allow an unvaxx’d tradesman into my house? No
latest report
LaForet wrote:
There is a significant push globally for a more modern international vaccination certification system....

- e.g. when bars, gigs and other venues and events use the same app to validate for COVID safety and when you basically won't be able to check in at the airport, get on a ferry or board Eurotunnel without it.

What are the odds that such a certification system will be subject to function creep over a short period of time? Each expansion will be promoted as being for the greater good. Let’s add tax status.... because it is not fair on people that pay their fair share to allow a delinquent to travel. Let’s add criminal record, initially maybe sex offenders... to protect our most vulnerable. Let’s add a flag for those who voted for Trump.... and on it will go. It will ultimately provide an easy way making a person, who the government deems undesirable, into a non-person.

If this seems to be hyperbole, then consider the limits on freedom of movement, association, employment, speech, etc that we have come to accept in the name of fighting covid. Limits that would have been considered unthinkable in a western democracy in 2019.
snow conditions
Quote:
Limits that would have been considered unthinkable in a western democracy in 2019
So a bit like the global pandemic that would have been considered unthinkable in the western world in 2019?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy