Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lockdown coping strategies - what have you bought/planned?

Poster: A snowHead
The garage is getting a full clear out & turned into a home gym
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarlet wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:
@snowheid, you win with superguides and the excellent colltex skins Very Happy

I’ve already got those. Got complimented on them last week too Cool What do I win?

A one week ski holiday with oneglove. (Second prize is two weeks). wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DB, that’s just mean Skullie
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've bought a rowing machine and lots of bottles of wine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shared thought : Mental picture of Pam w giving it some on the rowing machine while necking a bottle of wine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thumbs up to Tom_doc for starting this thread. Nice change from the doom and gloom.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I also bought a turbo trainer, had previously always been anti them but I have actually enjoyed it a lot more than expected
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We bought snow shoes. Used them a lot already - it’s much more fun than it sounds!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BenW_86, Those virtual workout apps make them trainers quite tolerable...
Now looking at building a rocker plate

Just splashed out on 6 tins of Illy beans... rather more than stingy me usually spends on them - It better be good wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sharkymark wrote:
I'm under significant peer pressure to enter a bicycle event in July...

What is it? Even if it doesn't happen, you can never have too many bikes and a side event of spending money on bikes, it makes skis seem cheap Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Going to get one of those sitting balls for the desk work as I feel my core is rapidly going south
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr.Egg wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Have to confess I bought an additional 9-pack of loo rolls last week. And just ordered some extra cat food. These two purchases are not linked in any way.

1 square method - should last you a while

Tight wad!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thought about a turbo trainer but I'd go mad. got enough spare bikes to put on one. fortunately they still let us out here and I have the choice of pan-flat like Holland in one direction or hilly "not quite mountains" in the other.
price in lockdown #1 was enough to justify getting out for a ride

snow this weekend Smile the best weather for MTBing Smile Twisted Evil
that should make a change from the particle physics and quantum mechanic course that I thought I'd do just for fun to make lockdown more interesting
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@valais2, Wrote -- "..Oh..and a Stanton Switch9er frame.." Stanton?? -- I hope you have told him !!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fly fishing kit for new covid inspired hobby

Ski boots for the wife and myself

Selection of second hand bargain skis

A puppy
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:
you can never have too many bikes and a side event of spending money on bikes, it makes skis seem cheap Toofy Grin

I swore I’d never get into this bike buying nonsense, so I “invested” in ski futures with @spyderjon. Then I couldn’t get to test skis, so I now appear to have invested in bike futures. Till April anyhow.

In summer, I convinced myself I didn’t need a mountain bike too. I’m now convinced I definitely need one. And they’re only on two month back order Toofy Grin

Should’ve stuck with the skis rolling eyes
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:
I'm under significant peer pressure to enter a bicycle event in July...

What is it? Even if it doesn't happen, you can never have too many bikes and a side event of spending money on bikes, it makes skis seem cheap Toofy Grin

Grinduro. Mostly for the drinking. I'm not into gravel - inadequate bike over dull terrain with a huge hangover. However, if it happens it's a great chance to catch up with a group of riding mates who've decided gravel's a thing now. The good bit is the next day exploring the myriad of new stuff in Dyfi on the MTB.
snow conditions
@Ronald i am also planing a rocker plate build. I joined a facebook group which has been a good source of information.
latest report
@Scarlet, You're doing well on bike N+1 there... or is it N+2?
snow report
@WASHOUT, oh same one as I joined the other week?

Should share some thoughts Wink maybe one for Aprèz zone
ski holidays
@Ronald, err, still n+1 I think (I have a bike, but it’s old and is making more noise that is healthy and the chain falls off Confused if I get two new bikes, it’s redundant at that point, and will likely be sold as it’s still ten times better than most Innsbruck bikes!)
snow report
High possibility its the same group. My plan was just buy the kit from turbo rocks and make the board myself. But this has been on the drawing board for a few months now....

Could always sticker bomb it with snowhead stickers...
snow report
Renewal vpn as sky have stopped EU roaming...another Brexit bonus ball
latest report
valais2 wrote:
Blimey ABC - if you had to replace your bedroom floors due to the flood what happened to the downstairs? or is your house built upside down?

There's no downstairs (nor upstairs).
snow report
Crevasse dweller wrote:

Amazon Prime T.V. too according to my mate from UK who was in Poland with his Polish wife over New Year.

Confirmed on Amazon website
latest report
Got a road bike in August and bought some proper pedals and shoes yesterday so I will mainly be spending lockdown falling off it as I forget to unclip at traffic lights.

Today's job, which the children will find amusing, is to practice unclipping in the garage (to save the embarrassment of finding somewhere quiet outside).
latest report
Crevasse dweller wrote:

If you have netflix, then you can VPN to USA & get better content.
Sky did do a discount to netflix for £3 a month
snow conditions
Quote:

New bike. It won’t arrive till April, though that seems like a good time for a new bike to arrive, and is something to look forward to.

This makes me laugh because I also bought a new gravel bike. And there was a lot of faff with the delivery date - initially I nearly got lucky and it would get there in "3 weeks". Then it was March-April 2021, then I got annoyed at them and cancelled my order. Then I found it in my size in some online store, ordered it, and got it 3 days later. Then it started raining for 3 weeks straight. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m obsessing on my back order of look pivots with Cast touring plates.

They look like the evolution of QKs and the Shifts folded into the mix with the burliest bindings i ever rode.

Ahhh kit, the closest to getting there without being there
ski holidays
I received an email from canyon last night, new bike just delayed from end Jan to March,
ski holidays
Crevasse dweller wrote:
I’m obsessing on my back order of look pivots with Cast touring plates.

They look like the evolution of QKs and the Shifts folded into the mix with the burliest bindings i ever rode.......

Its actually the other way round with the Cast system being out first and the Shift is the evolution of that.
ski holidays
No doubt, have you managed to have a fiddle with a pair yet?
snow report
Will try to force me into mtb+road again despite not feeling it at all... for road maybe get some proper cycling computer/power meter and dive into performance improvement...
ski holidays
@DTB, I'm going to delay buying a bike for .... maybe 6 months? It certainly seems like a futile thing right now!

I feel some good nearly-new bargains will be popping up on 2nd hand sites by the time social distancing ends wink
snow conditions
I got myself a hobby-class, portable laser engraver. Only scribes a 10x10cm area but can be powered from a portable USB battery. Made a set of personalised table coasters for various people for Christmas, which went down well, plus some bespoke ones for the apartment (when we eventually return there). Also made a couple of clocks with a lasered clock face and scribed line-drawing of Château Chillon one one, and Pierre Avoi on the other. I'd like to try scribing my car's wood trim (BMW charge £2500 to laser-scribe just a bit of text on a dash segment), but this might be a problem if it doesn't work!
snow report
tomj wrote:

I'm planning to get through the next month by building/cobbling together a PC specifically for running Zwift, out in my garage. If it weren't so cold out in my garage, I'd put my desk, chair and Aeropress coffee thingy out there too, and ignore/escape my family entirely!

There is a very good Facebook group, with a TON of info on doing this very cheaply in the files section. Group is called ZPCMR - Zwift PC Master Race
snow report
I was previously intending to get some new skis this season, but I'm doubtful that I'll even get to go in April so have put that idea on the back shelf. I gave up the MTB after getting fed up with the continued servicing and the eye watering cost of parts, so that's also out.

The lure of some new and not inexpensive kit for fake motorsport is quite strong, but there's the nagging doubt that I may not be employed in 2 months time so seems stupid to be spending what could potentially be paying my mortgage in April
snow conditions
Quote:

There is a very good Facebook group, with a TON of info on doing this very cheaply in the files section. Group is called ZPCMR - Zwift PC Master Race

Yup, I found that excellent group thanks to a recommendation from SnowHeads. It has given me the kick I needed to give this a go.
snow report
Ronald wrote:
@DTB, I'm going to delay buying a bike for .... maybe 6 months? It certainly seems like a futile thing right now!

I feel some good nearly-new bargains will be popping up on 2nd hand sites by the time social distancing ends wink

We've sold 7 cycles over this summer as outsizing of kids bikes, some bmx, some more conventional adult bikes needed clearing out from family archives Very Happy all serviced and well presented, they went very quickly.
Replaced rolling eyes by some more interesting mtb as we like 26 inch era and many have been available as people size upwards to current wheels.

Also caught in the spider's web, bought a pair of Whitedot Asym from the Piste Office, fabulous looking skis and great service from John. Whether they'll see any use this year is uncertain, but they look so nice propped up in my lounge.
latest report
My coping mechanism in the first lockdown back in April was to start wine making (wine kits making 30 bottles a kit). Now my coping mechanism in this lockdown will be to drink my way through it all - and if this mornings home schooling is anything to go by, it won't take me long.

Currently have well over 100 bottles ready to be drunk - and another 60 bottles worth either fermenting or aging!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy