Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lockdown coping strategies - what have you bought/planned?

Poster: A snowHead
I assume that I'm not the only one finding it hard to resist splashing the cash in lieu of going skiing. So as well as starting to plan for next year I've already ordered a pair of Smith I/O Chromapop goggles because, well, em, yeah. I've 2 other pairs - one with a universal lens (Bolle) which work alright, and Summit ones I bought about 4 years ago with 2 lenses, one for bright days and one for dull. They're pretty good unless the dull is because it's snowing or raining in which case they steam up really quickly.

I'm now eyeing up a pair of full-bib trousers, because one pair is never enough.

I've been quietly planning a long trip next year, expecting Mrs. Doc to be pissed off, but she's just got in from work and said that we should do a long trip next year. So that takes worry about that away!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tom Doc, I don’t think you can have too many goggles.............. can you ? Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
New bike. It won’t arrive till April, though that seems like a good time for a new bike to arrive, and is something to look forward to.

In the meantime, I shall pass the time by looking at... new bikes rolling eyes Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Timberwolf, you certainly can't. You must have a spare pair plus a set to replace the spare pair when you scratch the lenses of your main pair.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarlet, it isn't equipped with shimano, is it?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Toyota Yaris GR -- but it's purely just a Fantasy.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shops are shut, so it's a splurge at the local supermarket or pharmacy for me! Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sharkymark wrote:
@Timberwolf, you certainly can't. You must have a spare pair plus a set to replace the spare pair when you scratch the lenses of your main pair.

I think I see where this is heading.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
20 bras from debenhams (online) before they close down. New glasses.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, I'll raise your "new bike" with "three new bikes" Happy

One for my son, then one for me when I realised I needed a bike to go riding with him, then one for my wife when she felt left out, which has become the turbo trainer bike (bought a turbo trainer as well!) since she broke her arm on ride #3 on new bike.

The great thing about getting into a new sport is there's so much more kit to buy- I had almost everything I could conceivably need for skiing, but now I can repeat the process with cycling. Garmins, lights, bags...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Two Alpine Chalets, so I can boast about them Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:
20 bras from debenhams (online) before they close down.

At last an uplifting post. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sharkymark wrote:
You must have a spare pair plus a set to replace the spare pair when you scratch the lenses of your main pair.

True dat.

Sharkymark wrote:
it isn't equipped with shimano, is it?

Might be... why?

@snowdave, there’s still time Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
N + 1 must apply to gogle's as well as skis.
I have ordered a slam ball and I may order another kettlebell as you can't have too many of those either
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geepee, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
geepee wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
20 bras from debenhams (online) before they close down.

At last an uplifting post. Toofy Grin

Yes and nice to know even though they are shutting down they will still be supporting her for years to come.
snow conditions
was gonna N=N+1 on the bikes, since for those of us on the right side of La Manche, the exchange rate is flippin' ace Smile
one +ve of the b-word that shall not be mentioned is it has saved me from spending a 4 figure sum to have a 6th bike, that I was going to do with UK suppliers
ski holidays
DC Step-On snowboard boots. I'm breaking them in by clomping around the house in them. I bought them to cheer myself up when I cancelled my 12 Dec trip to Les Arcs. Now that I have also cancelled my 27 Mar trip to La Plagne, I might buy some Oakley Prizm persimmon goggles.
ski holidays
Lindr beer keg dispenser
Beer fridge
Fimi drone
Xbox x
Ocolus quest 2
And bigger size sweat pants Embarassed
snow report
Did my lockdown therapy in June when I couldn't resist Spyderjon's deal for Superguides with Coltex skins. Still hoping to use them soon in Southern Cairngorms but will need to check the latest travel rules.
Next question is will SOPiB go ahead - I am still optimistic but may be marginal.
Very well stocked on bras. Very Happy
snow conditions
snowheid wrote:
Next question is will SOPiB go ahead - I am still optimistic but may be marginal.

Fingers are crossed but I'll be surprised* if it does.

*Also excited, over the moon, relieved, possibly even singing!
snow report
Some new (or used) skis and a new car (or 2) - when I'm actually allowed out to sit in and test drive 'em.
And a big pad of paper and decent pen to start writing that huge bucket list of what I want to do once I/we finally can.
Maybe a load of seeds before everyone else buys 'em up again??? Laughing

PS - not sure any of this really counts as effective or desirable coping strategies BTW: but the desire to spend on something (anything?) is certainly there.
ski holidays
@snowheid, you win with superguides and the excellent colltex skins Very Happy

@Scarlet, oh I'm sure you'll be fine as long as the bike company has pre-purchased your kit. My feelers tell me shimano are out of stock until August. Basically, if you're going to buy a bike, buy it now or you'll be in for a very long wait. Just don't snap a chain Wink
snow conditions
I'm under significant peer pressure to enter a bicycle event in July that I'll need to buy another bike for in order to participate. I'm about to search the interweb to see if bike shops are still essential...and order something with SRAM on
ski holidays
@Sharkymark, ah ok, I think I heard something about that. It’s Canyon, so I think they’re building from stock (hopefully...). Not heard anything about deliveries slipping from the estimates anyway.
latest report
Foolishly signed up for a ironman in June.... so spending cash on that, turbo trainer, new tt bike and currently shopping for a treadmill.
With less/possibly no skiing this season planning a big winter trip next season to either Japan or Eastern Europe cat skiing so picked up a pair of WD redeemers for that. This is keeping me going mentally and the ironman is getting me fighting fit 4 next season.
Will need to phone spyderjon again for more odds n sods...
snow report
Smart turbo trainer and a subscription to Zwift.
A few cases of different gluten-free beer.
A few cases of different coffee beans.
More laptops, so that the kids don't fight over them when they finally settle down to doing some online school work.

I'm planning to get through the next month by building/cobbling together a PC specifically for running Zwift, out in my garage. If it weren't so cold out in my garage, I'd put my desk, chair and Aeropress coffee thingy out there too, and ignore/escape my family entirely!
snow conditions
@Scarlet, yeah you'll be fine with Canyon Smile

To add to the list: 7 new interior doors and whatever it is that mends leaky roofs.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sharkymark, that'll be roofers Toofy Grin
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
@Sharkymark, that'll be roofers Toofy Grin

Very Happy
latest report
More improvements to the camper van I think.
snow conditions
Have to confess I bought an additional 9-pack of loo rolls last week. And just ordered some extra cat food. These two purchases are not linked in any way.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Have to confess I bought an additional 9-pack of loo rolls last week. And just ordered some extra cat food. These two purchases are not linked in any way.

1 square method - should last you a while
snow conditions
+1 on bike kit.

But more than +1 ...

Secondhand Norrona Fjora winter riding trousers
Another pair of Norrona Fjora winter riding trousers
A brilliant shelter lightweight wind jacket from Ion with lightweight fleece lining - in black - massively discounted from Hurricane Sports
Liked that so much in minus temps that I bought another one - in dark pink - from Hurricane
Like them so much I bought the wind shirt without fleece lining - one for me and one for my son
A pair of Ion shelter soft-shell trousers
Two Loose Riders jerseys
A POC jersey
And a TOPEAK digital pressure gauge
And a set of Hope BB drifts

Oh..and a Stanton Switch9er frame. And some forks. And some bars....etc etc
Oh...and a Transition Sentinel frame. And some forks. And some bars...etc etc

In no way am I compensating for being shut in by buying excess kit. Oh no, not me. No way. Never. Absolutely not.

And Sharky Mark, I thought I hated SRAM brakes until I taught myself to fully strip and rebuild some Guide RCs - in order to put in ti pistons to replace the made-of-cheese nylon ones. They are VERY rebuildable and really rather nice. They must have been deteriorating so slowly it wasn't obvious - they are now excellent with the new pistons.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 4-01-21 22:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I was forced to replace my bedroom floors (flood). Although I have some left over insurance money, and have a nicer floor, I still don't feel like spending. I've paid enough I'm psychological "spent".

The weather is warm enough to bike. But I have no need to buy new bike related stuff. This is a hobby I had for a long time, even before I started skiing so much. So I have LOTS of stuff I haven't been giving justice to. Now I'm just giving them the use they deserve.

I've replace a few items when they broke. But that's not really splashing it just yet.

I'm just patiently waiting for the time when I can go to Japan again! That, will properly break the bank. So no need to overdo it so early. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Blimey ABC - if you had to replace your bedroom floors due to the flood what happened to the downstairs? or is your house built upside down?
ski holidays
Contemplating pulling the trigger on a paddle board.
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:

I’ve already got those. Got complimented on them last week too Cool What do I win?
snow conditions
Sitter wrote:
Contemplating pulling the trigger on a paddle board.

Tried pulling the trigger on my paddle board but the safety catch is jammed.
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:

I’ve already got those. Got complimented on them last week too Cool What do I win?

They are actually my second pair of superguides - first pair are my touring skis, these ones I will be using as powder skis. Gotta love a Superguide Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy