Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
@Aidanb, welcome to Snowheads!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was told 2 weeks to stop the spread.... now a vaccine(s) is immanent, its been 8+ months and everyone is aware of the risks. Time to begin rolling back the most draconian restrictions IMHO.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@garfmiller, imminent is a relative term. We know of one likely approved vaccine in 4 weeks time, but there won't be any protection until people are actually vaccinated. Probably well into 2021 before the risks change substantially. (More approved vaccines might help, but there will still be the same limited number of qualified staff actually administering those vaccines).

But having said that, if the current lockdown does its job it is conceivable (optimistically!) that case numbers and deaths will decline enough that milder restrictions can prevent them rising again until the benefit of vaccination allows further easing.

And - even more optimistically - the lockdown in France* might do the same and their restrictions might ease enough to allow skiing. Probably not worth putting any money on it yet though.

[*Other ski destinations are available, but similar issues.]
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
j b wrote:
... but there won't be any protection until people are actually vaccinated.
At least five or six weeks from the first dose of the vaccine until the full protection against Covid offered by that vaccine is achieved (assuming it will be the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccines which are being used).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aidanb wrote:
UK Covid deaths are the highest in Europe. Over 50,000 with 532 deaths reported yesterday. The numbers would want to decrease massively before meeting EU's safe-travel criteria. I can't see any skiing happening this season. I've a booking for ValD at Christmas. Even if we could travel - I'd hate to be the guinea pig. Maybe spring skiing somewhere - but roll on the 21-22 season.

highest reported
There is no set way in which deaths are recorded & each country has their own criteria.

saying someone diedof covid on the death certificate probably means no autopsy, etc. due to the infectious of the virus.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mr.Egg, Exactly, Plus the death rate in the past is irrelevant to the future travel argument (And Belgium has a much higher death rate per capita). What matters is the current infection rate and it's trend. Currently the UK is doing far better on that measure than many Western European nations, Switzerland and the areas of France bordering it seem to be the epicentre of the plague at the moment.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good point @rob@rar, even the token vaccinations they are striving to do by the end of the year will give no benefit until February. Although that will have been an amazing achievement, first description of a new infectious agent to delivery of vaccinations in just 12 months.

And I agree @Mr.Egg, league tables of deaths are pretty meaningless. As the epidemiologists keep telling us, it is not until you can look back and work out excess deaths that the specific impact of Covid can be measured. There will be a lot like my late mother, whose final pneumonia was probably triggered by a very mild cold but if it had been this year could easily have been listed as a Covid death.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What is the COVID End-Game?

What if vaccines end up not effective at all, what if vaccines are only semi-effective on an annual basis (think flu shots), what if - - well there are so many variable "what ifs"?

Lockdowns only do so much for so long then its back to where we were and lockdowns create economic a social damage too. A complete eradication of the virus may never happen...

We know the risks. protect the vulnerable as best as possible - but let others ease back into normalcy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@garfmiller,
Quote:
What if vaccines end up not effective at all
well, the Pfizer one does seem to be testing effective ...
Quote:
what if vaccines are only semi-effective on an annual basis (think flu shots),
by what mechanism would this happen?
Quote:
A complete eradication of the virus may never happen...
why might you think it would anyway?
Quote:
what if the sky falls on my head?
you should have bought a bigger brolly
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr.Egg wrote:
Aidanb wrote:
UK Covid deaths are the highest in Europe. Over 50,000 with 532 deaths reported yesterday. The numbers would want to decrease massively before meeting EU's safe-travel criteria. I can't see any skiing happening this season. I've a booking for ValD at Christmas. Even if we could travel - I'd hate to be the guinea pig. Maybe spring skiing somewhere - but roll on the 21-22 season.

highest reported
There is no set way in which deaths are recorded & each country has their own criteria. this is indeed a point, but it's tricky to manage

saying someone diedof covid on the death certificate probably means no autopsy, etc. due to the infectious of the virus. ??? why? Puzzled infectious what? do infections generally preclude autopsies in other situations?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@garfmiller,
Quote:
What if vaccines end up not effective at all
well, the Pfizer one does seem to be testing effective ...
Quote:
what if vaccines are only semi-effective on an annual basis (think flu shots),
by what mechanism would this happen?
Quote:
A complete eradication of the virus may never happen...
why might you think it would anyway?
Quote:
what if the sky falls on my head?
you should have bought a bigger brolly

I am an optimist and somehow forgot about the soviet vaccine...

The pessimist says, " Things could not get worse."

The optimist says, " Oh yes they can."

Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
UK Travel Corridor list is due to be updated today at 5P. Where is the smart going on who is on/off?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@garfmiller, Probably no change for anywhere that matters. Plus we are not supposed to be travelling from the UK, so no real need for change, no airline is going to launch a travel service till post lockdown IMHO.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At this point whether we ski or not this year won't be determined until after Christmas. And frankly, if we don't, no big deal. To be honest I haven't thought at all about skiing once, whereas normally I'd have already lined up a holiday and been obsessively checking the cams etc. Obviously there are lockdowns, but I do have real health concerns and tbh my job could be in jeopardy if this continues, as it depends on international events.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@garfmiller, sorrz, I was being flippant.

It looks like the Pfizer virus is effective and there are good noises about the Oxford one. However, rolling these out to populations will take some time.

'Flu viruses are updated annually because the most prevalent 'flu virus changes seasonally, not because the vaccine is, in and of itself, less effective. This coronavirus (and the others that are known about) don't tend to change very quickly anyway, so this really isn't a huge concern, afaik, at this point.

Equally, afaik, the only virus that has been eradicated through human endeavours is smallpox; through a very broad international education and vaccination program. I don't think anyone's suggesting going to that effort for the 'Rona.
latest report
Last I heard covid has mutated several times so far
snow report
There are dozens and dozens of different strains which have been mapped using the virus' genome. There are two broad families of these strains, one of which has become more dominant across the world so I think it is assumed that one is marginally more infectious. Neither of the two broad families of the different strains, nor any of the individually mapped strains behaves differently in terms of the impact on patients who develop Covid.

Genomic mapping of the virus info here:
https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
There are dozens and dozens of different strains which have been mapped using the virus' genome. There are two broad families of these strains, one of which has become more dominant across the world so I think it is assumed that one is marginally more infectious. Neither of the two broad families of the different strains, nor any of the individually mapped strains behaves differently in terms of the impact on patients who develop Covid.

Genomic mapping of the virus info here:
https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

Since some of the vaccines inc the Pfizer one target building immunity against the 'spike' protein on the surface of the SARS Cov 2, do the different strains have variations in this or does it remain constant?

Is the spike protein likely to mutate to the extent that the currently developing vaccine induced immunity would no longer be effective?
snow report
luigi wrote:
Since some of the vaccines inc the Pfizer one target building immunity against the 'spike' protein on the surface of the SARS Cov 2, do the different strains have variations in this or does it remain constant?
Everything that I've read suggests that SARS-CoV-2 virus is mutating very slowly, and different strains are only identified because the genome mapping is able to detect minute changes. There's doesn't seem to be any evidence that changes to the protein spike have caused any issues with the development of the vaccines.

luigi wrote:
Is the spike protein likely to mutate to the extent that the currently developing vaccine induced immunity would no longer be effective?
I don't know, I've not seen any discussion of that, perhaps because it would require a certain amount of crystal ball gazing. As a very much non-expert in this, I'd assume that the fact we have a number of different vaccines already in late stage clinical trials based on the current structure of the protein spike, it would be a fairly easy task to develop a revised vaccine to respond to any changes that were identified as a result of the virus mutating.
snow conditions
@luigi, with all due respect, wouldn't you be better posting a question like that on "VirusHeads"? Twisted Evil

For the little that it's worth, my reading as of a few months ago was that the thinking (at least, as far as I read) was that such mutation was unlikely, although possible. But then, so is being struck by lightning*

There are a few properly knowledgeable SHs who might chip in with a more weighty answer.

* no suggestion included of any probabalistic equivalence between the two events.
ski holidays
@luigi, from what I have read there is only one described mutation that actually changes the spike protein, and apparently that doesn't involve the parts of the protein targetted by the various vaccine candidates. But it has been a focus of attention for obvious reasons.

I have also read that those designing the various vaccines, aware of the theoretical possibility, have aimed to create immunogens that will elicit antibodies to multiple regions of the spike protein so that a mutation affecting one of these wouldn't block its protective function.

Those in the business of monitoring viruses say that SARS-CoV-2 is actually very stable compared with, for example, the influenza virus. But the vaccine designers can't predict the future, all they can do is make a best guess. It is certainly conceivable that at some point there will be a mutation that evades any particular vaccine response, and scientists will need to be alert to that.
snow conditions
I really do think it's all going to hinge on whether UKers have to quarantine on return from the slopes. I can't see them staying shut all season, and I can't see the government keeping the lockdown going for longer than 2 weeks past it's current 2nd December end date. So if they can't stop us going out there, and we're allowed on the slopes, all there is as a barrier is the quarantine on return!
ski holidays
@Pastorius, That sounds like a pretty fair assessment to me, although the only other factor to consider is whether the French government allow holiday makers from outside France enter the country or whether they in effect, only allow French people to holiday in France this winter.
Re. UK quarantine, when only 10% actually do it (as opposed to the 70% who say they are following the rules....), I wonder how much of a deterrent it is....
snow report
Pastorius wrote:
Surely boarders first, then skiers, then the rest of them?

Yes that is absolutely the correct order Boarders first as guinea pigs, then when we know its safe the skiers (although how would you tell if a boarder was experiencing side effects as opposed to standard behavior I don't know)

Tongue massively in cheek Smile
ski holidays
gordonrussell76 wrote:
Pastorius wrote:

Yes that is absolutely the correct order Boarders first as guinea pigs, then when we know its safe the skiers (although how would you tell if a boarder was experiencing side effects as opposed to standard behavior I don't know)

Very Happy
snow report
snowhound wrote:
@Pastorius, That sounds like a pretty fair assessment to me, although the only other factor to consider is whether the French government allow holiday makers from outside France enter the country or whether they in effect, only allow French people to holiday in France this winter.
Re. UK quarantine, when only 10% actually do it (as opposed to the 70% who say they are following the rules....), I wonder how much of a deterrent it is....

Suppose the French end the lockdown in December, skiers from neighboring countries can simply pile into their car and drive to France to ski. Whilst UK skiers would need to book a flight, ground transfer... Or at the minimal, a tunnel crossing! snowHead

Agree quarantine on return is the least of the worries.
ski holidays
gordonrussell76 wrote:
Pastorius wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
I might have an interesting dilemma in the next few weeks...

I have been full time carer for both my Parents for 5 years. Sadly, I lost my Father last week, but my Mother, 85, still needs my services almost full time. She has Parkinsons, which is currently causing very low blood pressure, and associated problems.

My local Council has announced that they are making arrangements to roll out the vaccine to priority groups as soon as it is approved.

As a social Carer, I would be eligible fairly early.

Do I ask for it as soon as possible, and risk any side effects that would impact on my Carer duties, or do I wait a few weeks until we know how well it is actually working.

With my Mother's current health, I would not ask for her to be given it until sure it was safe for her, but would prefer to keep shielding her.

Comments?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would get it, if I were you. Not sure waiting a few weeks will prove anything.
latest report
@brianatab, I would get it. My wife may be eligible for it early in the roll out, as she is extremely clinically vulnerable. I’m hoping to get it as early as possible. Anything that will enable me to get to the Birthday Bash and PreBB. Confused
snow report
I’ll wait a while maybe, unless, as I guess may happen, airlines and countries will start to ask for proof of vaccination, then I’ll probably be somewhat forced to for work. Had covid-19 in the summer and it wasn’t that bad for me.
snow report
45,000 people had already gotten it. They've had a lot longer time for any side effects to surface

I don't see waiting a few more weeks will give you any more information, unless you're willing to wait for a couple more months. A few weeks isn't long enough for anything positive or negative.
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:
I might have an interesting dilemma in the next few weeks...

I have been full time carer for both my Parents for 5 years. Sadly, I lost my Father last week, but my Mother, 85, still needs my services almost full time. She has Parkinsons, which is currently causing very low blood pressure, and associated problems.

My local Council has announced that they are making arrangements to roll out the vaccine to priority groups as soon as it is approved.

As a social Carer, I would be eligible fairly early.

Do I ask for it as soon as possible, and risk any side effects that would impact on my Carer duties, or do I wait a few weeks until we know how well it is actually working.

With my Mother's current health, I would not ask for her to be given it until sure it was safe for her, but would prefer to keep shielding her.

Comments?

Get in the queue 1st. Simple.
snow conditions
Themasterpiece wrote:
I’ll wait a while maybe, unless, as I guess may happen, airlines and countries will start to ask for proof of vaccination, then I’ll probably be somewhat forced to for work. Had covid-19 in the summer and it wasn’t that bad for me.

My view is simple. Unless you have proper medical grounds for not having the vaccine, then if you don't have it when offered you become liable for the cost of any subsequent care on the NHS should it be necessary. Might make some of the anti-vax nutters think twice about refusing the vaccine if it might come with a very large bill. Personally I would extend that to all vaccines offered on the NHS.
snow report
jabuzzard wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:

My view is simple. Unless you have proper medical grounds for not having the vaccine, then if you don't have it when offered you become liable for the cost of any subsequent care on the NHS should it be necessary. Might make some of the anti-vax nutters think twice about refusing the vaccine if it might come with a very large bill. Personally I would extend that to all vaccines offered on the NHS.

Heard that said before. Interesting idea but will never fly. I’m totally not an anti-vaxer, but there is something uneasy about the worlds fastest developed vaccine.
ski holidays
Themasterpiece wrote:
jabuzzard wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:

Heard that said before. Interesting idea but will never fly. I’m totally not an anti-vaxer, but there is something uneasy about the worlds fastest developed vaccine.

Except many of the vaccines being developed are not entirely new. They are rehashed old vaccines developed for other coronoviruses. They develop a new flu vaccine every year. The problem with a 90% effective vaccine unless you get 95% of the population vaccinated then the health service is fubar for a long time. At the moment you can make a choice not to get a vaccine safe in the knowledge that you will get excellent health care at no cost to yourself that will likely save you from your brain dead choice. To fix the problem the morons need to bear the cost of their idiocy.

It's a bit like my plan to solve the organ donation shortage. The basics are simple if you are not prepared to donate your organs should you find yourself in need of an organ then tough, no organ for you. That and stopping next of kin overriding your choice and problem solved. Can't see how anyone can argue there is anything unfair about denying organs to those unwilling to donate. It's the sort on manifest fairness little children can understand.
snow report
@brianatab, if you don’t want it, can I borrow your ID for a few days?
snow report

Does this view still hold with smokers/over weight people/drinkers and the associated illnesses that are well documented?
ski holidays
Let's add in all the sports injuries and driving accidents oh and the DIY ones too, .
snow report
robs1 wrote:
Let's add in all the sports injuries and driving accidents oh and the DIY ones too, .

I did think those but decided some have some value to life. where as smoking and being over weight have non,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy