Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
It’s now snowing in many parts of the Alps. I’m keeping everything crossed that We get to go. But with the so called Second-Wave quite clearly is starting to happen. What are our chances of skiing this season?
I’m sure the resorts will be open, but will we be allowed to travel?, or will they actually allow us into their countries?
At the moment it’s not looking great!
Did Boris, By saying that we can expect these new measures to last for at least six months, give us an indication on how long he envisages it taking before we have an effective vaccination in place?
The way it is currently it’s highly unlikely that we well get back below the ‘20’ number for quite some time!
But as I said, it’s Snowing out there and I’m itching to go !!
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Eggfried, if anyone could accurately predict the answer, they’d be very rich. We have a holiday booked for January, booked last February. We have to pay the balance next week, or lose a hefty deposit. We (group of 6 friends), after getting written assurance from our travel insurers that we will be covered if either the operator cancels or we can’t travel due to restrictions, have decided we will proceed, and pay with a credit card. We’re then just crossing fingers, lighting candles, praying. It will be what it will be, but having agonised over what to do, will now sit it out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When it comes to second wave we have nearly 3 months for it to peak, flame out/fadee away, decline before most of us "need" to get on the slopes. That said it will undoubtably pay to be flexible, willing to travel at least minute, potentially willing to be under insured and willing to quranatine on return if you really want to ski. Plus avaoid many of the more obvious things that are part of a ski hol for many cos they'll be shut or number restricted. It's a year for the keenos.

I'm still hopeful not least because I've still got a lot of vacation days in the bank for Xmas time but not laying down any money yet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i have booked two weeks in austria in january and have been wondering the same. i think skiing will go ahead but can imagine apres bars taking a hit. it might be a case of ski, dinner and an early night. I'd take that over it not happening all day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

it might be a case of ski, dinner and an early night

or ski, then enjoy the company of your family/friends in a cosy apartment, cooking yourself something delicious and enjoying a few drinks, then have a couple of bottles of very good wine (at supermarket, not hotel) prices, then maybe watch a film, or play some games if that is your thing, and have quite a late night. Which doesn't sound too bad. But yes, be prepared to quarantine when you get back and don't lay out any money yet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Our group has basically resigned itself to the Alps not happening, or very very late calls.

We usually go in late January to Tignes to coincide with the birthday of a friend who lives nearby - that seemed a long way off 6 months ago, but its getting closer and closer and if I were a betting man I would say it wont happen - not because of "in resort" issues, but potential quarantine either way.

As a fallback, there is the Scottish option..........obviously easier for us.........and as I am self emp, and at least one of my mates will be retired by then we at least have options for last minute midweek days which is better than nothing.

Long self catering weekends are also an option, but I imagine will be busier as there will be a lot more groups travelling up from England.

Lift infrastructure up here is...........prehistoric, so could be under a lot of pressure too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was set up to drive out to Chamonix last march when the lockdown kicked that into touch, this season was one I did not want to miss; Its 40 years since I first skied, and I was hoping to get my children on skis for the first time.
Driving out in January is likely to be a non starter, on many levels; a family trip next year is not exactly a popular idea in some quarters at the moment either.

If it happens, it`s probably going to be a banzai booking.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If quarantine stays in place, then I think it will be a case of going for a long while or not at all. Friends children who normally go to Hintertux for 2 weeks in October, are now heading out in a weeks time and not coming back until just before Christmas. We're waiting until the end of October and then making a decision about what to do. If it looks possible that the government may introduce quick tests that could get the quarantine down to a week or that the policy on travelling might change, then we'll stick to our original plans of going out for the schools holidays. Otherwise, my wife and son may go out for the season and I'll stay at home with my daughter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Late bookings are really challenging for young families and many confined to school hols. Quarantine would be hard or impossible (particularly in Feb).
We have our usual half term week pencilled in and we will have to decide by the end of the year. I was hoping to go away on two weekends with friends or even a training weekend and I doubt those trips will happen due to the advanced planning and childcare involved at home. It looks bleak but agree it’s quite a long way off so haven’t lost every shred of hope yet... the recent Swiss imposition of quarantine on UK arrivals really felt like a giant leap in the wrong direction Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Montana,
Quote:

We have a holiday booked for January, booked last February. We have to pay the balance next week, or lose a hefty deposit. We (group of 6 friends), after getting written assurance from our travel insurers that we will be covered if either the operator cancels or we can’t travel due to restrictions, have decided we will proceed, and pay with a credit card. We’re then just crossing fingers, lighting candles, praying. It will be what it will be, but having agonised over what to do, will now sit it out.

I also have a trip booked for January, to Tignes. This is actually using the voucher from last year, issued because we arrived in La Plagne on the day they shut down all the French resorts, so had to come straight back home. So I suppose we don't have much to lose there as the trip is already effectively paid for. We would just move the trip back (again!).

We also have a trip to Obergurgl booked for March. This we have paid the deposit for, so will face the same dilemma as you nearer the time.

As long as you book a package (i.e. flight and accommodation) you should be fairly safe in terms of getting a voucher should the T/O not be able to provide the holiday due to WHO restrictions. But not if its you who chooses not to go for whatever reasons. Probably best to stick with T/O's for this season. The bigger the better. Inghams (Hotelplan) were very good to deal with for a voucher once they had people back working after lock-down. I know that Crystal appear to have been good to deal with too.
Just have a close look at the T's & C's before you book.

January is still a long way off, but is it long enough????
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
another thread on this..in addition to the two already running? really??

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=152450#4647752

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=152598
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@holidayloverxx, indeed but then again "This Is Snowheads" Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx,
Quote:

another thread on this..in addition to the two already running? really??

I meant this tread as more from a UK based perspective. It is clear that the resorts will be open if they can. I’m more concerned about us being able to travel to the Alps and the restrictions that this possible second wave may effect things for us.
Not trying to repeat threads already posted, but Many things have changed since those threads were started. And threads tend to drift off from the original theme.
I shall consider myself chastised. Lol.
Happy Skiing (fingers crossed).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Eggfried I’m really glad of your thread because it felt relevant to me; the others not quite in the same way for the reasons you outline. Lots of posters there are based overseas.

I’m just the usual schmuck travelling at UK half term plus if I can cajole a few friends all to the good. Bit different from people doing seasons or living up the road.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Eggfried, all covered later in those threads...but crack on
snow report
If it wasn’t for those damm pesky kids, I’d be having a great season as I can work from home, doesn’t need to be my U.K. home.
Even if I did return I’m exempt from self isolation rules due to my job.
BUT that’s how Farcical the rules are & a very selfish look at it which I’ll not be taking.
If we all do our bit & stop being self centred selfish snowflakes, we might have it under control
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Eggfried, all covered later in those threads...but crack on

Yes but this thread is all about UK people whereas those others are.....

Y'know. Just threads, about whether the ski season will happen

On a UK forum

Where the vast majority of people are.... Y'know

British
. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Given all the uncertainties and trade offs and need to avoid crowds I'd be looking at avoiding half term if I had kids in school. Last minute booking to take advantage of weather and possibly quarantine windows would be the way I'd be thinking.
snow report
Quote:
On a UK forum Where the vast majority of people are.... Y'know

Mmm, well, y'know like it may be a UK based forum but there are, like, plenty of non-UK posters, like, well, y'know just sayin' like Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Kids out of school (symptoms, innit!) for the week before Christmas hols or Easter hols, go skiing. Quarantine for two weeks of hols (i.e. normal life more or less), and back to school on time. Simple. Or maybe not. Puzzled
latest report
@Jonny996, +1

Tho' I have been debating whether driving out to my apartment, going ski touring for a week, and driving home, fits within the quarantine rules as all I've done is transit through France without ever mixing with anyone... Happy
snow report
We have three weeks accommodation booked in Austria in January and two weeks in Italy in March. Fingers crossed

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 29-09-20 18:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I’m thinking of testing my eyes in a drive to Les Saisies next January.
snow report
COVID...Brexit....climate change. Not great times for Alpine skiing Sad This household has written off the Alps early season but March/April might be a possibility. Though I carnt imagine there will be that many package holiday around this year Which would mean faffing with flights and transfers etc.
snow report
@TheGeneralist, I'm not reading anything new on this thread.....
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@TheGeneralist, I'm not reading anything new on this thread.....

I'm reading too much of you moaning about duplicate threads.
snow report
@Nelbert75, stop reading then.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:

I'm interested in the subject matter. Your pointless interruptions, far less.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1,
snow conditions
Quote:
I’m thinking of testing my eyes in a drive to Les Saisies next January
Laughing...I've heard that there's a branch of Specsavers en route in the town of Chateau Bernard wink
ski holidays
Nelbert75 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

I'm interested in the subject matter. Your pointless interruptions, far less.

The point is that useful info is spread across 3 threads so harder to find and lessens the usefulness. It expects people to duplicate their posts across 3 threads....if they can be bothered.

Put me on ignore if you don't want to be disturbed.
latest report
We are going through the same discussion about whether or not to book flights and/or accommodation. The infection rates in Europe (including of course UK) are only going one way, and fast. I’m hopeful that a vaccine will be available to the European population some time in 2021 but my guess is not till (much) later next year.
I‘m optimistic by nature but, try as I might, I just can’t see what might change between now and the end of the ski season to make booking a ski holiday a viable proposition - in terms of the likely need to quarantine at both ends, insurance difficulties and (real) risk of infection.
ski holidays
Same underlying topic yes, but the title has tempted me to actually write something which I haven't on the other threads.

We actually have flights booked (transferred from after lockdown) and I assume those could be tweaked since it seems unlikely Easyjet will run all the flights they advertised at the time. And @harrim51 has just reminded me that my annual eyetest was cancelled last April, and I clearly need the Alps to provide a proper check of acuity at distance.

But the problem is that no one can say what constraints there will be January to March. If they are the same as now then some people will find a way to go and quarantine if necessary (but that would mean a job that can be done from home, at least while quarantining, and no kids needing to return to their already disrupted education). If not ... well who knows, but it would help to hold off final decisions as late as possible.

Purely for the sake of sanity now, we are working in the hope that a ski visit is indeed possible, though we have the benefit of retirement giving us flexibility. We will probably work on the basis of longer trips so quarantine seems less irksome, and if necessary staying in our cosy little bubble in the evening as @pam w suggests. Her suggestion of increasing our supermarket wine budget to restaurant prices sounds like an interesting compensation for our own cooking. But we do know that glass of French wine might be half empty rather than half full.
latest report
@j b,
Quote:

t seems unlikely Easyjet will run all the flights they advertised at the time.

Inghams have changed our flight carriers for our flights to both France and Austria. When the booking was made the flight to Austria was to be with Austrian Airlines. The trip to France was with one of the budget airlines. Both are now Flying with TUI. I expect they have made a deal with them to ensure the airplanes are fully booked. Both have very similar departure and arrival times.
Last minute flights may not be so ready available this season.
latest report
Xmas might be tricky but there must be a good chance that by Feb / April holidays restrictions will be reduced. Suspect the resorts will be ready and only too willing to welcome you. Stay flexible and book late.
snow report
If Cummings sneaks in a ski week, that will open the flood gates. Bet he doesn't ski thou, another reason to dislike him"...
ski holidays
If it doesn't happen for UK residents this season I can't see Weathercam's popularity improving. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm British and I'll get a few days in over Toussaint, 17th October - 1st November. Although opening isn't 100% confirmed yet the weekend's dump has set up the glacier, which was already in good condition, for opening for the first time for a few years Toofy Grin
snow report
@DB, I'm still trying to work out if I just go with 90* days of skiing or go for a visa.

*Jan-Feb six weeks - get out of Dodge High season, maybe elsewhere that will take Brits, then back six weeks mid-March - April ski touring.

I'm not too worried about Covid it's fecking Brexit that's more of a concern.

Decisions, decisions Laughing
ski holidays
@Weathercam, Interested to know more about a visa, assume its a French long stay visa as I can't find anything about a Schengen wide long stay.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy