Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

Poster: A snowHead
Sounds like charged for testing will be subsidising the likes of McKinsey, PwC et all for their “advice” and “expertise” rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here is the ECDC Regional 14 day incidence map that Schengen countries will be using to determine if quarantine is required.

Let’s be realistic - unless the situation improves in the next 2 months, British residents won’t be skiing unless they can quarantine on arrival first.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Germans are doing something right. Sticking to the rules ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Android2000, Switzerland is a Schengen country - appears to be completely free of COVID - woohoo! If only.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Android2000,
Quote:

Let’s be realistic - unless the situation improves in the next 2 months, British residents won’t be skiing unless they can quarantine on arrival first

+1

I think the only people from UK skiing next season will be those who have places there, and/ or those who have lots of their time on their hands and happy to sit around in quarantine on arrival and return.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Android2000, Spot on sadly. My balance is due 01/01 for February HT. Decision to be made whether to cancel, pay and secure a credit/refund or just live in hope until departure date. Kids in school so isolation not possible either side of channel.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Peter S, the Germans know how to in general follow rules.....and they have a track and trace that works, plus strong effective clear leadership
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29 wrote:
@Peter S, the Germans know how to in general follow rules.....and they have a track and trace that works, plus strong effective clear leadership

Corona control has little to do with Mutty; German society is built on collective social responsibility and is very conservative by UK/US standards. Outside of the large metropolitan cities, Germany is still very conservative and what we may consider to be very old-fashioned. Social responsibility spans everything from mandatory snow-clearing from outside of your property, to correct positioning of dustbins, Pfande (or deposits) on glass bottles, to not using your lawn mower between certain hours and compulsory winter tyres.... It makes for a very obedient and law-abiding society.Although to the outside world Germany may seem progressive, family life is very conservative and, as unfashionable as the views may be in the UK, single mothers and indeed working mothers (of very young children) are still frowned upon - they have a word for the latter - Rabenmutter.

If you can live with sky-high taxes and endless bureaucratic rules it is a wonderful place to live - they have a north/south divide, although an inverted relationship from ours - and having lived in both I certainly prefer Bavaria!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Social responsibility spans everything from mandatory snow-clearing from outside of your property, to correct positioning of dustbins, Pfande (or deposits) on glass bottles, to not using your lawn mower between certain hours and compulsory winter tyres....

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pastorius wrote:
Quote:

Social responsibility spans everything from mandatory snow-clearing from outside of your property, to correct positioning of dustbins, Pfande (or deposits) on glass bottles, to not using your lawn mower between certain hours and compulsory winter tyres....

Till you get to the "working mothers (of very young children) are still frowned upon" part...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dravot, I agree, it was one of my first thoughts that Germany would do well because their citizens are used to following rules for this, that and the other and like you say, there is a high level of social responsibility.
Austria appears to be the same. When I did my mini season in an apartment block in 2019 I found the rules worked well. Everyone knows where they stand!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dravot, this is a rather off topic I know but what did you like about living in Bavaria?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My time in Bavaria was 22 years ago so the rose tinted ski goggles may apply. I have lived in Nordrhein Westphalia much more recently and for longer.

I would equate living in Bavaria to living in the Peak / Lake District - a much slower and rural pace of life; very clean, ordered and well, very German. Lots of character, alpine houses, bier-kellars, long hot summers...NRW is much more built up and a bit generic - could equally have been Holland / Belgium.

Also worth noting I was at different stages of my life - Bavaria, a fresh faced graduate where everything was exciting, and even Europe (in the late 1990s) was seen as a 'big adventure"...when I was in NRW, it was full-time work, paying bills, dealing with bureaucracy etc. Given the chance I'd move back to either right now!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the insight @Dravot
I am eyeing up another mini season in Austria for 21/22 because I can’t see this coming one being very successful for holidays so I will plan for that I think! At least with a long stay even if things are like they are now it makes things easier re quarantine and just less hassle generally.
I will have finished my new contract I’m starting in November by about December 2021 too so that works out well
Meant to be!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:
Pastorius wrote:
Quote:

Till you get to the "working mothers (of very young children) are still frowned upon" part...

Well that's why I didn't quote that bit! I don't see why one set of expectations has to come with the other.
ski holidays
The Germans are also testing less people too.
latest report
Germany doesn't have to test as many people as they have an effective track&trace system and have done from the start. And their test results come back within a day.
snow report
One would assume the more people you trace the more people you test. The UK is currently running at nearly 100% more tests per day than Germany so with an equal rate of infection you would expect double the number of absolute positives.

A quick look at the figures:

Germany - Tests per day 200k approx - Avg Positives per Day 7k
Uk - Tests per day 400k approx - Avg Positives per Day 15k

They look about the same to me.
snow conditions
@russ_e, Not sure where your figures come from. The Gov website https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing says that we are performing just over 300,000 tests a day (that's including multiple tests on 1 person and antibody tests) and have nearly 19,000 positives. That would indicate over 12k positives from 200k tests, so we do seem to have a bigger problem based on that data. I'm sure there are other sources with different data but it doesn't look good.
snow conditions
russ_e wrote:
One would assume the more people you trace the more people you test. The UK is currently running at nearly 100% more tests per day than Germany so with an equal rate of infection you would expect double the number of absolute positives.

Not if you have fewer people with the virus in the first place? Don't know why you're assuming an equal rate of infection, that's the point of the track and trace system, to keep that number down.
snow report
Pastorius wrote:
russ_e wrote:

Not if you have fewer people with the virus in the first place? Don't know why you're assuming an equal rate of infection, that's the point of the track and trace system, to keep that number down.

The absolute number of test isn't as important as test/million population, or positive/thousand tested.

Looks like Germany has similar positive rate per thousand tested. On that, it's about "equal amount" of testing, not less
snow conditions
Don't forget that Germany doesn't have the NHS and associated politics to slow it down. Medical insurance is compulsory, pay at the point of use for most services and treatments. Every small town has at least one krakenklinik; secondary healthcare is of a very standard and without the politics and fiefdoms of 'trusts'
snow conditions
As the discussion has moved to testing per capita, and positivity rate, useful to know the ECDC also publishes weekly data on this by region in support of the Schengen area system:

Germany has a lower positivity rate than the UK.
ski holidays
Update figures are showing Dudley and New Forest still rising Sad
latest report
We are seriously thinking about Cairngorm/Glencoe/Lecht. I can't see the travel restrictions on France being lifted any time soon.
snow report
This would be a good year for UK based skiers to have a big domestic winter, Beginning in December, but what are the chances of that ?
snow report
My feeling is that Scottish ski areas are going to be absolutely rammed this year, especially during school holidays and weekends. That would be good for the ski centres obviously, though not so nice for regulars!

Let's hope for a season with plentiful snow and good weather days, so as many lifts and as much terrain can open as possible.

I've still got two partially-booked trips to the Alps, but I'm much less optimistic about being able to on them than when I booked them several months ago, because of the quarantine situation.
snow report
denfinella wrote:
My feeling is that Scottish ski areas are going to be absolutely rammed this year, especially during school holidays and weekends. That would be good for the ski centres obviously, though not so nice for regulars!

I take your point. But it might mean that e is money to invest back into better facilities, or at least repair what is there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@achilles, I agree.
ski holidays
After initially being quite optimistic and one key stroke away from booking a package - instead I'm going to hold my nerve to the last safe moment to see what happens. I have 4 weeks off at xmas so quarantine on return isn't an issue - I'm more concerned about not being to get into somewhere, or even greater local restrictions. Most likely to drive over - the sting will be taken out of getting winter tyres, as I need new tyres on the old family estate anyway!
#alwaystheoptimist
snow report
I was supposed to be doing a week in Meribel in March 2021 (postponed from March 2020) on a snowboard camp - the TO has now announced that they're not operating in Meribel at all this season, so that's being cancelled. Can't say as I'm too keen on the prospect of getting on an plane for a while anyway...
snow conditions
We've cancelled our Japan flights (end of Jan), and booked some refundable avios flights to Calgary for April just in case... quite happy to suck up the cost of booking everything else last minute if we actually manage to get away. Who knows eh?
latest report
As I've said a few times now I've just presumed we won't be going on the basis of dealing better with an expected disappointment than an imposed one. Swithered a couple of times tbh but glad I stuck to my plan. The time is still on the planner in case things change although as the rules now seem more political than ever I really doubt it. If reports of the quality of the experience come December are negative then I'll keep my cash regardless.
snow report
German entry requirements have been updated to identify the whole of the UK as a high risk area requiring 14 days quarantine on entry to Germany or evidence of a negative test result (although elsewhere I saw that the quarantine waiver for a negative test result will cease from 8th November, can't find the reference at the moment)

Quote:
Travellers entering Germany from a designated risk area must enter quarantine for 14 days and take a COVID-19 test. They are also required to notify the local German health authority in their place of residence/accommodation.
Northern Ireland, Scotland, North East England, North West England, the Midlands, Yorkshire and the Humber and Wales have been designated as high risk areas. From 11.01pm BST on 23 October, the designated high risk areas will be extended to include the whole of the UK. Anyone who has been in the designated high risk areas in the two weeks prior to their arrival in Germany is required to proceed directly to their accommodation and quarantine for 14 days or until they can show evidence of a negative test result. Those who can provide evidence of a negative test taken in a European Union member state or a state with comparable quality standards less than 48 hours prior to arrival may be exempted from the requirement to quarantine.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 21-10-20 22:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, so is the UK a "state with comparable quality standards" or have we sunk below even that?

(And how would we get a test anyway, needing a result in time?)
latest report
Am I correct in my understanding that UK folks have to quarantine for 14 days on arrival to France. Therefore ski holidays from the UK to France are not going to work unless this situation changes?

Reason for my question is we have a UK party booked in our chalet for the New Year, but I'm thinking they will need to cancel as the rules are unlikely to change between now and then.

From Ireland we do not have to quarantine on arrival in France only on return but I understand UK rules are different?
snow report
@rzer, I thought it was voluntary quarantine on arrival to France from the Uk if anything. The main issue at present for the group you mention is that they would have to quarantine for 14 days on their return to the UK. However there is talk of the UK quarantine being reduced with a test at the end. Nothing has been confirmed yet.
snow conditions
snowymum wrote:
@rzer, I thought it was voluntary quarantine on arrival to France from the Uk if anything. The main issue at present for the group you mention is that they would have to quarantine for 14 days on their return to the UK. However there is talk of the UK quarantine being reduced with a test at the end. Nothing has been confirmed yet.

Thanks for that. I double checked and it looks like it's the same rules for the UK and for Ireland. That makes more sense. I must have been looking at out of date information. I think the group will cancel anyway because quarantine when they return is tricky. Hopefully that changes but who knows...

This is what the French govt website says:

1.If you are arriving from a country on the list below, you can enter metropolitan France without any COVID-19-related restrictions or paperwork.

Member States of the European Union, Andorra, Australia, Canada, Georgia, the Holy See, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Rwanda, San Marino, South Korea, Switzerland, Thailand, Tunisia, the United Kingdom and Uruguay.
snow report
As it stands, there is no quarantine from UK into France; 14 days from France into UK.
ski holidays
There is no quarantine on entering France. I was working in a hospital in Nantes recently. On return to the UK you have to quarantine for 14 days. I'm on day 11.

In England if you go from France to somewhere on the good list for a week you then quarantine for a week.

In Scotland you have to have bee out of a naughty country for 2 weeks before returning or it is still 14 days.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy