Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Wow, I’ve just caught up with the new rules. Could they have made them any more complicated? Has anyone been able to figure out what teenagers under 15 need? Is double jabbed plus PCR acceptable? Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scarlet, thanks, one of my favourite Austrian sites LOL! I have no idea how I missed that!

Have gone to stand in a corner!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tiefschneetaucher, There's some sections on kids in the links I just posted, right at the bottom.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
radar wrote:
Has anyone been able to establish if the 48hrs is from the time of test or from getting the results, everything I’ve read from the Austrian sites just says 48, if you have please share the link.

We are planning to test late Friday night for flight on Sunday lunchtime, should give us a few hours leeway.

I asked the same question. I assume it's test time. Hopefully by end Feb they've scrapped it, or stretched it out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The 48 hour PCR seems to be the thing almost everywhere now for entry, Canada is the same and they even check you again on arrival at the airport (randomly but it’s a lot)!

Next time I go anywhere I think I will do one the day before and pay through the nose for it, that way if there’s any delays it still gives loads of slack on the arrival time compared to the swab time.

I checked up to see what was available local to home that could be done the day before instead of doing it at the airport when you’ve already set off with your baggage etc (just in case it’s positive you’ve then not gone to the trouble of going to the airport) and surprisingly there were a fair few options.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just looked at worldometer - the 3 week lockdown/unvaccinated lockdown really did work in Austria (is the unvaccinated one still in place?) - cases down from over 15,000 daily at peak to 2,500 now. Seems to have worked to a lesser extent in Germany too. Also seems that unlike much of northern Europe, Omicron hasn't yet hit much, though I suspect that is just days away. No wonder Austria have the measures in place for UK, DK, NL
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I remain confused re the 12-15 yr old category. I "think" the safest bet is a PCR within 48 hours of arrival, but the various websites have slightly different formulations of the "rules". We will also be getting a private GP to assess our 13 yr old and issue the Appendix H/I recovery certificate (our 13 yr old is single vax, recently Covid recovered - may well test positive on the PCR, so would love to do the Antigen if people think that is a runner.....).

Neither the "Consolidated federal law: Entire legal provision for COVID-19 Entry Ordinance 2021, version dated December 29, 2021" or the Austrian embassy in London say anything re 12-15 yr olds.

https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html says that "Between six and fifteen years of age: Fulfilment of the testing interval of the "Ninja" passport replaces any proof of low epidemiological risk; this means that proof of two PCR tests and one antigen test in a five-day period is sufficient in itself and no further proof needs to be provided; this replaces the otherwise required 2G+ proof".

[I have seen some interpreting this as meaning that in the 5 out of 7 days pre arrival into Austria, you need to have 2 x PCR and 1 x antigen. That seems excessive to me? This is as per the easyJet website - and we are flying with them...

"Exceptions: Children between 6 and 15 years, traveling alone if they have:
two negative COVID-19 LAMP, PCR or TMA tests and one negative COVID-19 antigen test. The tests must have been taken within 5 days of the last 7 days before departure; or
three negative COVID-19 LAMP, PCR or TMA tests taken within 5 days of the last 7 days before departure"] [ Perhaps only relevant if "travelling alone", which our son won't be]

The entry requirements on the Social Affairs web page states similar: "from the age of 6 up to the age of 15, even if travelling alone, are exempted from requirement to be vaccinated or recovered and tested, if they can provide (medical certificates of) at least 1 PCR-/LAMP-/TMA-test (72 h) or 1 Antigen-test (48 h), and subsequently comply with the provisions of the so-called Ninja-Pass"

If anyone has any "on the ground" experience of travelling recently with a 12-15 yr old, directly landing into Austria from the UK, please do let me know - thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
The 48 hour PCR seems to be the thing almost everywhere now for entry, Canada is the same and they even check you again on arrival at the airport (randomly but it’s a lot)!

Next time I go anywhere I think I will do one the day before and pay through the nose for it, that way if there’s any delays it still gives loads of slack on the arrival time compared to the swab time.

I checked up to see what was available local to home that could be done the day before instead of doing it at the airport when you’ve already set off with your baggage etc (just in case it’s positive you’ve then not gone to the trouble of going to the airport) and surprisingly there were a fair few options.

Agree - when the cost of a ski holiday is considered, paying through the nose for a test to guarantee a result seems to be the way to go. Yes, have found a site in Cambridge, and there are always airport sites, though wondering if you can check in the evening before at LHR before you have the test result if you get one at the airport or don't have the result. Would seem risky even if allowed!

Glad now not to be (trying to) ski in January - hopefully the situation eases by later in the season, though Austria has yet to start the inevitable Omicron outbreak.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buchanan101 wrote:
Just looked at worldometer - the 3 week lockdown/unvaccinated lockdown really did work in Austria (is the unvaccinated one still in place?) - cases down from over 15,000 daily at peak to 2,500 now. Seems to have worked to a lesser extent in Germany too. Also seems that unlike much of northern Europe, Omicron hasn't yet hit much, though I suspect that is just days away. No wonder Austria have the measures in place for UK, DK, NL

It sort of works, but not so well around the edges (borders are leaky and weren't restricted anyway). It seems likely that the Nov/Dec wave was driven by Delta, but sequencing outside of Vienna has fallen on its ar5e, so nobody really knows what's going on now. Yes, unvaccinated are still restricted, and there's no discussion on lifting that just yet.

There was a big reduction in testing over Christmas weekend, so the result of that hasn't trickled through yet. There may be some slowing due to a lot of people being off work/school for the next couple of weeks, but once they return, it will probably go off with full force. I'm not sure that the travel restrictions will have much effect – it will ultimately reduce the number of people coming in from those countries, but people will come from other areas like Germany unrestricted.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pamski, thank you, good to know.

@cardweg, thanks I will make sure it is the PCR test, and I will post as to how we get on with the testing and entry requirements. The 48h requirement certainly creates an exciting hoop to jump through that is largely out of one's control...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has to be a typo stating ages ‘between 6 and 15’ - that must mean ‘between 12 and 15’….

“ Minors traveling in the company of an adult:

Up to the age of twelve: no separate proof required (the adult's proof also applies to the minor);

Between six and fifteen years of age: Fulfilment of the testing interval of the "Ninja" passport replaces any proof of low epidemiological risk;”

Text quoted from here…
https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarlet wrote:
From the same page https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html
For UK departures, Section 2 would apply
Quote:
The obligation to bring a negative result of a molecular test with you or a medical certificate confirming such a test does not apply to persons who have recovered from COVID-19 and can present a medical certificate in accordance with Appendix H or Appendix I. The obligation to self-isolate, however, remains.

For @1gunsalute and others travelling from the UK, you might be able to get in without the PCR test if you have the recovery certificate, but you would still have to isolate for 10 days, and yes, the authorities will check Confused

Full text (German) is here: https://www.sozialministerium.at/Informationen-zum-Coronavirus/Coronavirus---Haeufig-gestellte-Fragen/FAQ-Einreise-nach-Oesterreich.html
Thanks @scarlet for digging that out even if it is bad news. I think that @Seahoob is in the same position and due to fly out this weekend.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@buchanan101, exactly, I don’t want to pay say £200 as I feel that’s too much (and a rip off really for what it is) but when you consider the parking at the airport can be £80 for a week sometimes! For 2 weeks it’s over £100 or can be. I think the stress in itself wondering if you’ll be turned back for being a couple of hours out on the swab time is quite significant.
DAM Health do a PCR with the result within 24 hours for £69 which is reasonable IMO. So say your flight is Wednesday afternoon at 2pm you could go to the clinic locally on Tuesday morning at 9am and from swab time to flight arrival time (in Austria anyway say 2 hours flight) would be 9am Tuesday to 4pm Wednesday = 31 hours
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@buchanan101, scarlet answered the question for me

Scarlet wrote:
@radar, It's always sampling. https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html section 2, first bullet

Quote:
The registration can be done at the earliest 72 hours before entry. In case of an official inspection the registration must be presented in digital form or printed out. The authenticity of the document can be verified via the QR code. Persons who have received a further vaccination ("booster") and can provide a negative molecular biological test (e.g. PCR test) whose sampling must not be longer than 48 hours ago, are exempt from the registration obligation.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@buchanan101, exactly, I don’t want to pay say £200 as I feel that’s too much (and a rip off really for what it is) but when you consider the parking at the airport can be £80 for a week sometimes! For 2 weeks it’s over £100 or can be. I think the stress in itself wondering if you’ll be turned back for being a couple of hours out on the swab time is quite significant.
DAM Health do a PCR with the result within 24 hours for £69 which is reasonable IMO. So say your flight is Wednesday afternoon at 2pm you could go to the clinic locally on Tuesday morning at 9am and from swab time to flight arrival time (in Austria anyway say 2 hours flight) would be 9am Tuesday to 4pm Wednesday = 31 hours

7:15am flight Sunday, so currently staying overnight at Sofitel T5 and checking in night before...

...but you won't be able to check in without the test. Means test should really be on the Friday - I can do that, but partner wouldn't be able to because of work. So, alternative is cancel hotel and drive down very early on the Sunday after a Saturday test in Cambridge (e.g. £149 result guaranteed by midnight*) - or sleep with the skis etc at Sofitel. Or get a 3 hour test at LHR for £199 on the Saturday afternoon...

All possible, but such fun...

*Guaranteed - but what happens if it isn't delivered; does the supplier cover costs? No chance of that!
latest report
Delivery guaranteed*

*not guaranteed?

Laughing rolling eyes
snow report
@buchanan101, sorry, I realise that's not helpful, but the whole thing is so ridiculous...
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@buchanan101, sorry, I realise that's not helpful, but the whole thing is so ridiculous...

No problem! I can see why it is being done, but I don't think it will last that long: Austria is not an island, as you've said its borders are very porous.

By mid Jan it'll unfortunately be in full Omicron, and by end Jan the UK will be past the peak, so there really should be no need for PCR tests in addition to the Covid "passport".

(A major issue with the new PCR rule is the 48 hours - yes, 24hour tests are widely available, but it's still logistically a lot more tricky than if the rule was 72 hours)
latest report
Has anyone had recent experience of driving to Austria from the UK via Holland/ Germany?
snow conditions
@buchanan101, what about if you do the DAM Health 3 hour one at Fulham? £89. They offer Fulham Liverpool or Manchester for the 3 hour ones. Go from Cambridge to Fulham, get done, then stay at Sofitel the night before the flight. Check in as normal as you will have had the results by then anyway it being a 3 hour job.
ski holidays
I think this 48 hour PCR business is either going to carry on for the foreseeable (some people are making a fortune out of this!) or it will be dismissed mid Feb when things have hopefully calmed down a bit.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@buchanan101, what about if you do the DAM Health 3 hour one at Fulham? £89. They offer Fulham Liverpool or Manchester for the 3 hour ones. Go from Cambridge to Fulham, get done, then stay at Sofitel the night before the flight. Check in as normal as you will have had the results by then anyway it being a 3 hour job.

Ive seen lots of comments on Nextdoor neighbourhood forum that DAM in London at least are shambolic, results not coming back on time with no one to contact leading to people no being able to board flights, I’d steer clear of them.
snow report
@Illetas, we are in the throws of this dilemma and as I understand it you can enter Holland but Germany is not so straight forward even by car. Im pretty sure its not allowed from the uk. I have messaged the German ministry for a definitive answer so if I hear anything back I will post the reply. If you check the German embassy website it states that travel by car through germany from the uk is not allowed but if you look at the German ministry sites there are exceptions if you look hard enough. Its all very stressful and confusing.
snow report
@ster, eeek ok good to know…

I wonder whether the Fulham one, being in London, is ‘too busy’ so they maybe have too many bookings so it all goes wrong. Not good though where peoples travel arrangements are involved!
For any provider it’s definitely worth checking out the TrustPilot reviews, I did that with ExpressTest for my arrival into the UK PCR and they were definitely as expected.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 29-12-21 12:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Illetas wrote:
Has anyone had recent experience of driving to Austria from the UK via Holland/ Germany?

not allowed in germany atm
snow report
@Illetas, currently entry or transit through Germany is not allowed for anyone who has been in the UK for more than 24 hours in the preceding 10 days, German citizens / residents excepted. There is chapter and verse including links to various German government sites here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157589 . Whilst it may be possible to drive to Austria via Holland and then some tortuous route through Belgium, France, Switzerland etc the only practical & legal route is flying.
snow report
We had 3 holidays booked to Austria in Jan, Feb and March, just decided to pull the plug on the first one due to the Colditz threat (I have the feeling there will be a lot of Omicron in ski resorts by the end of Jan), moved the second one to Italy and fingers crossed for the one in March.
latest report
I thought the quarantine hotel didn’t look too bad, I didn’t know it was free either until that newspaper article about the British family came out.
I thought you would have to pay at least something!
Not ideal mind, no one wants to do a quarantine do they, the extra time off work is probably the most expensive bit in terms of lost holiday days/income.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No only Colditz and the quarantine, the pets left at home we would need to sort out and the memory of our last ski holiday in 2020 when Austria locked down and our return flight was cancelled, the feeling of doom in the village towards the end of that week and then we both ended up with covid, that took the edge off the holiday.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@Illetas, currently entry or transit through Germany is not allowed for anyone who has been in the UK for more than 24 hours in the preceding 10 days, German citizens / residents excepted. There is chapter and verse including links to various German government sites here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=157589 . Whilst it may be possible to drive to Austria via Holland and then some tortuous route through Belgium, France, Switzerland etc the only practical & legal route is flying.

However, the Federal Ministry of Interior website says that transit through Germany is permitted as long as the destination country doesn’t ban you from entering their country. Which, in theory means that you can transit Germany by car to Austria.
I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has made a journey by car recently.
ski holidays
So put simply - if you are double vaxed and boosted and have NOT had covid and are able to obtain a PCR within the 48 hour window you are good to go?
Obviously not forgetting the LF required 2 days before return and the PCR within 48 hour of return.
Phew!!!!
snow report
JimboS wrote:
No only Colditz and the quarantine, the pets left at home we would need to sort out and the memory of our last ski holiday in 2020 when Austria locked down and our return flight was cancelled, the feeling of doom in the village towards the end of that week and then we both ended up with covid, that took the edge off the holiday.

You were unlucky with the cancellation - what airline was that? My BA flight on the Saturday (after the Friday eve evacuation of Ischgl) from Innsbruck still flew
snow report
The rules for 12-15 year olds are clear as mud. The links @Scarlet posted are only talking about Ninja passes, which I think is not relevant for double jabbed teenagers. Confused
snow conditions
@buchanan101, It was jet2 from Salzburg, got a one line email from them around 4pm on the Friday saying our return flight was cancelled and of course no answer from their phone lines.

Thankfully I was able to book easyJet flights from Munich then went round all the pubs asking if anyone could give us a lift to Munich Saturday morning, by 10pm I found a couple that agreed to take us. It was a nightmare. Then at about 11pm, another email from jet2 saying sorry, ignore the earlier email, the flight is still on. What a joke.
snow report
This is the email we got.

Jet2.com - Friendly low fares

Important information about your flight to/from Salzburg/Innsbruck/Friedrichshafen tomorrow

Due to the Regional Government of Tyrol decision, Jet2.com Salzburg/Innsbruck/Friedrichshafen flights are now suspended. As we will be unable to operate your flight tomorrow, please do not go to the airport as planned. Any unused flights will be refunded.

We apologise for the late notice – this is outside our control.
latest report
@Illetas, but that same site says that the transit rules dont apply if your "point of departure" was "an area or variant of concern" ie the UK. I agree the wording is somewhat convoluted and, of course, it is the original German that is relevant not the English translation. However the German Embassy in the UK could not be clearer, transit by car is NOT allowed. The only transit that is allowed is by plane when you dont leave the airport.

Whilst it is unlikely that there would be a check on the Dutch German border, UK registered cars are a pretty rare sight on the Autobahns at the moment, so a pretty obvious target for a check at any point. You could well end up in quarantine as I doubt the Dutch would want you back. There are checks on all the Autobahns from Austria into Germany, a UK registered car would almost certainly get pulled over. Perhaps no issue if you plan on staying for a number of weeks but unless you can prove you left the UK more than 14 days ago you would be denied entry into Germany.

You could take a chance and you might get away with it but it seems a big risk to take simply for a skiing holiday especially when you can travel by plane.

An additional issue is the Austrian requirement for a PCR test within 48 hours of your arrival time, bit challenging to sort if you are driving. There are less checks going in to Austria but with the current influx of Dutch & Danes it is likely that there will be some. If you are refused entry to Austria on a technicality, as some have been, the only option in Germany would be quarantine.
snow conditions
Seriously thinking about just booking a package with crystal for a week but had a thought thats stopping me from hitting the button.....does anyone know what happens if another guest in the hotel tests positive? Will we be quarantined too?
ski holidays
Apologies if this has been covered, if we satisfy the 3 jabs and 48hr PCR, can anyone advise if we still need to complete a pre travel clearance form if travelling from UK?
snow conditions
brianr wrote:
Apologies if this has been covered, if we satisfy the 3 jabs and 48hr PCR, can anyone advise if we still need to complete a pre travel clearance form if travelling from UK?

Family who flew into Inns with EJ did, and the Ryanair flight into Salz didnt. Same day!!
ski holidays
brianr wrote:

I'm assuming the form has been updated recently, but previously if you tried to complete it and didn't actually need to, it would boot you out before the end with a message about it not being required.

Quote:
Registration for pre-travel clearance OR proof of vaccination via an additional dose ("booster") and molecular biology test (e.g. PCR test, not older than 48 hours).
The registration can be done at the earliest 72 hours before entry. In case of an official inspection the registration must be presented in digital form or printed out. The authenticity of the document can be verified via the QR code. Persons who have received a further vaccination ("booster") and can provide a negative molecular biological test (e.g. PCR test) whose sampling must not be longer than 48 hours ago, are exempt from the registration obligation.

https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy