Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2020/2021 (Dec 4 to April 25)

Poster: A snowHead
@ulmerhutte,

Thanks, the bit about the Landlord didn't make sense in the translation. I suspect they are saying that a blanket disrespect of the regulations would be fatal for the village and it's landlords. A single case could also have a massive detrimental effect on the village too.

It's basically telling the locals to look out for people who may be flouting the rules (either locals or visitors) and report them to the police.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 19-01-21 22:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ulmerhutte wrote:
The StA Bürgermeister. issued this statement (translated by somebody on FB):

Quote:
Dear citizens,

there are increasing reports that foreign people are in town who are looking for work, pursue leisure activities, meet in groups, establish their place of residence and stay here. In addition, various information is circulating on the Internet about how foreign citizens can enter the country and how the ban on accommodation can be circumvented within the framework of the COVID-19 emergency measures regulations.

The Landeck district administration has been informed of this and has instructed the police to check this immediately (personal and accommodation checks). We cannot tolerate such communications, let alone facts and figures, and must be stopped immediately if they conflict with existing COVID-19 regulations and laws. The danger of a blanket denigration of the place, the landlord would be fatal. In this regard, you can cause great damage to the individual landlords, yes to the whole place.

We can only do it with a joint effort and everyone now has to pull together. Strict action must be taken against such interference and possible bypasses!

Sincerely, Mayor Helmut Mall.

Translated by Google or similar more likely.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Episode 66 includes a report from St Anton on the incredible conditions...
https://audioboom.com/posts/7775263-66-mega-snow-in-st-anton-verbier-truth-jasmin-taylor-graham-bell
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK Folks..

It is well known that that there ae some individuals in town who are not legal.. Breaking the CV19 decree...

The Police Operation is not exclusive to St Anton its happening in the Region (All Ski Areas)..
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://youtube.com/v/dpb7LuifzBg

Lets give it up for the Mayor of St Moritz Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/gemeindestmoritz/videos/847669669387033/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Weather

The next Storm has been put back a day or so to the Weekend/Next Week..

Should still be significant accumulation .....

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

How long the Lifts keep turning is anyone guess but if you dont use them who cares Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Mayor of St Moritz seems to talk sense. The blue velvet jacket on the other hand....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Serious torture looking at photos like this each morning:

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey Folks

http://youtube.com/v/yEueE4MFTio

Some hill fotos over here

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=64443&start=125#p5309311

Thieves are everywhere even in Lech (deserted) and the criminal is an 82yr Austrian Shocked Shocked

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/geldtaschendiebstahl-in-lech-am-arlberg-aufgeklaert_a4451808
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you are interested of the economic effect... The latest Tourist Stats for 2019/20 (Sharp Decline) have just been released.

https://www.statistik.at/web_en/statistics/Economy/tourism/accommodation/accommodation_capacity/index.html

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Locals have neve skied so much....some on the hill for the first time in years

Arlberg Powder 2021 from moglispears
https://vimeo.com/501495588

Still no official news on continuation of season just rumours but with no Tourists .... Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ulmerhutte, Best not to look, it's depressing - i'm in summer mode now, booked our Arlberg fix for end August biking and hiking, the daylight is getting longer so it's nearly spring in my world! Winter's over, locals can enjoy it, hope they do........i've given up any thoughts, however small of getting out this winter wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29 wrote:
@ulmerhutte, Best not to look, it's depressing - i'm in summer mode now, booked our Arlberg fix for end August biking and hiking, the daylight is getting longer so it's nearly spring in my world! Winter's over, locals can enjoy it, hope they do........i've given up any thoughts, however small of getting out this winter wink

What you say is 100% logical, however I'll still keep on looking at the webcams dreaming and hoping to get out to ski in the Arlberg (or indeed anywhere !) until it's officially confirmed that the resort is closed for the season, or the lockdown/travel restrictions are extended beyond that date. I'll cling on to that miniscule possibility until then, being forever the optimist Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://www.tt.com/artikel/17776043/trotz-corona-dutzende-urlauber-feiern-in-st-anton
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am hearing that Schindlerbahn, Zammermoos, Christophbahn, Nassereinbahn and Kapallbahn are now turning only on the weekend. On mountain restaurants are closed.

I saw some recent photos of the Dorfstraße in the evening. Heaps of snow, stunningly beautiful, but deserted. Sad. Very sad. Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ulmerhutte, https://www.skiarlberg.at/en/interactive-map - up to date daily
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I see the StA website has been updated:

Quote:
St. Anton / St. Christoph / Stuben:

Monday through Sunday:
Gampenbahn, Mattunbahn, Galzigbahn, Osthangbahn, Tanzbödenbahn, Arlenmähderbahn, Schindlergratbahn, Valfagehrbahn, Albonabahn I, Übungslift Rauz, Übungslift Gampen, Schlepplift Nasserein

Saturday and Sunday additionally (only on good weather days):
Nassereinbahn, Zammermoosbahn, Christophbahn, Kapallbahn
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Same rules here in the Vorarlberg with occasional police checks...basically no tourists allowed & a limited (although - given the lack of punters - acceptable) lift service. i check every morning directly with the relevant lifts before setting off..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
..realistically tho’ there won’t be normal ski season (i.e. one open to non locals) in Austria this year..
snow report
Same rules here in the Vorarlberg with occasional police checks...basically no tourists allowed & a limited (although - given the lack of punters - acceptable) lift service. i check every morning directly with the relevant lifts before setting off..
snow report
Bergsteiger278 wrote:
..realistically tho’ there won’t be normal ski season (i.e. one open to non locals) in Austria this year..

A miracle could happen, but we have been a little short of those over the last year. :-;

I have just received a bunch of photos from our StA friends. The snow looks awesome, possibly more than Jan 2018. Happy for them, but hard to take sitting here in Australia in the summer, when we should be over there.
snow conditions
Actually the snow conditions since lifts opened in late December have generally been just about OK & certainly not awesome. The problem has been the very changeable weather - sadly one of the predicted effects of Global Warming..
snow report
Yeah, I know it has been variable, but when it has been good, then it has been awesome:
http://youtube.com/v/vxlnRkMm_Vs
latest report
Fwiw the reference to “Vermieter” (landlords) does make sense when reading the German language original of the Burgermeister’s comments. He targets landlords who (he claims) are illegally renting to foreign “Ski bums” (I parse)..then claims the „Ski bums“ are partying and surviving illegally by doing black economy jobs (snow shovelling) thereby exacerbating the risk of Coronavirus to the community at large and indeed those illegal landlords as well...realistically it comes across as a manufactured news story on a quiet day - I’ve not seen any foreign ski bums here this season (with the exception of one disconsolate newly qualified non Austrian Anwärter - who after 3 weeks of fruitlessly seeking work was about to throw in the towel and go home)..basically there are only locals on the slopes...
snow report
As for powder in the last few weeks sadly

„ die Ausnahme bestätigt hier die Regel“..
snow conditions
@Bergsteiger278, nice to hear from someone who is actually there on a regular basis.
latest report
Bergsteiger278 wrote:
Fwiw the reference to “Vermieter” (landlords) does make sense when reading the German language original of the Burgermeister’s comments.

The google translation posted by @ulmerhutte didn't make much sense. There wasn't much detail on what the arrangement was between the landlords and "ski bums".

Bergsteiger278 wrote:
Fwiw the reference to “Vermieter” (landlords) does make sense when reading the German language original of the Burgermeister’s comments. He targets landlords who (he claims) are illegally renting to foreign “Ski bums” (I parse)..then claims the „Ski bums“ are partying and surviving illegally by doing black economy jobs (snow shovelling) thereby exacerbating the risk of Coronavirus to the community at large and indeed those illegal landlords as well...realistically it comes across as a manufactured news story on a quiet day - I’ve not seen any foreign ski bums here this season (with the exception of one disconsolate newly qualified non Austrian Anwärter - who after 3 weeks of fruitlessly seeking work was about to throw in the towel and go home)..basically there are only locals on the slopes...

Yes the detail at what he was getting at was in the link from @Markymark29.

Markymark29 wrote:
https://www.tt.com/artikel/17776043/trotz-corona-dutzende-urlauber-feiern-in-st-anton

Main Points from the above article : (I'm not saying this article is accurate just translating what's in it)
Despite corona dozens of holiday makers party in St Anton.
Hundereds of English & Scandinavians are travelling to St Anton via routes such as the train from Zurich.
Tips to get around the travel ban are in the Internet.
Their trips are financed via things such as washing dishes and shoveling snow
Landlords are giving them accommodation, dozens of the ski bums have found a place to live.
There are pics of partys with 30 to 40 guests
Apres ski is taking place by the Haustadel with cans of beer bought from the supermarket
snow conditions
Bergsteiger278 wrote:
As for powder in the last few weeks sadly

„ die Ausnahme bestätigt hier die Regel“..

The exception here confirms the rule - What do you mean by that? Is that in response to the global warming comment?
ski holidays
Weather was changeable before global warming too.
At ‘Arlberg-altitude’ , in winter, no significant changes in temperature or snowdepth are registered yet.
(In summer there indeed is a significant change in temperature)
snow conditions
@DB, That article seems to be complete nonsense. I can see the odd person managing to make it to St Anton to stay with friends (the article mentions "dozens" rather than "hundreds") but anyone getting off the train with skis and a big bag is going to be very obvious. Who would they be washing dishes for, all the restaurants and hotels are closed? It appears to be about getting the mayor a mention in TT rather than anything else. There are similar comments from other places with mayors complaining about supposed influxes of "visitors" and rumours of secret parties in various mountain huts. It is very easy in current circumstances for what was four local kids meeting up behind "the bike shed" to get turned into a "party" involving hundreds of foreign ski bums!
latest report
@munich_irish,
Yes looks bogus to me too.

The article says dozens a few times but it also says - (although this is probably referring to the number that normally travel to St Anton, it's a bit gray but main thing is they get "hundreds" in there for effect)

Quote:
St. Anton am Arlberg – Sie kommen aus Skandinavien und England – Hunderte „Ski Bums“, die den Winter in St. Anton verbringen. Ihr Steckenpferd: Skifahren, Snowboarden, Partys. Das Freizeitvergnügen wird oft mit Minijobs wie Geschirrspülen oder Schneeschaufeln finanziert.

It's probably 3 foreigners who are registered to live in St Anton earning a bit of money shoveling snow who then meet up at the Heustadl for a can of beer.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 27-01-21 10:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@DB, That article seems to be complete nonsense. I can see the odd person managing to make it to St Anton to stay with friends (the article mentions "dozens" rather than "hundreds") but anyone getting off the train with skis and a big bag is going to be very obvious. Who would they be washing dishes for, all the restaurants and hotels are closed? It appears to be about getting the mayor a mention in TT rather than anything else. There are similar comments from other places with mayors complaining about supposed influxes of "visitors" and rumours of secret parties in various mountain huts. It is very easy in current circumstances for what was four local kids meeting up behind "the bike shed" to get turned into a "party" involving hundreds of foreign ski bums!

Yep, the media thrives on hysteria, drama, disasters. If there isn't a crisis they'll create one soon enough! You've only got to tune into the BBC/ITV news bulletins or see press headlines.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
they spread the same rubbish about 100s of English tourists fleeing Verbier, turned out it was all made up!
snow report
This is clearly not the right thread to discuss climate change..however, the subject was fresh on my mind last night when I gave my input. I’d just finished watching a 2 hour Austrian TV documentary on the rapid disappearance of the glaciers, particularly in the last 30 years due to warmer overall temperatures..
snow conditions
Bergsteiger278 wrote:
This is clearly not the right thread to discuss climate change..however, the subject was fresh on my mind last night when I gave my input. I’d just finished watching a 2 hour Austrian TV documentary on the rapid disappearance of the glaciers, particularly in the last 30 years due to warmer overall temperatures..

There is actually a video clip somewhere on snowheads (anyone have the link) showing how little effect in the winter climate change has had on various ski resorts including St Anton.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 27-01-21 17:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Bergsteiger278, glaciermelting happens in summer...
Climate change in the Alps is very clear in summer, far less so in winter.
Don’t ask me why, but it’s a fact.
latest report
@Langerzug, It's visible more in summer, I agree. I have Arlberg area 1:25000 walking maps from the 1990's showing glaciers on them, which I still use when we go high level hiking in summer and it's clear the glacier areas have long gone. In the 20 years we've been going in summer the high level glaciers have deteriorated significantly.
latest report
Hey Folks

Just for confirmation to the Media articles & rumours..

There have/has been a number of Skibums in town since beginning of the season , various nationalities. There are some from the UK , Sweden, Denmark ,Germany and other nations. Numbers are hard to assess but it is more than a "few".
Most arrive via Train from Zürich others all the way from Vienna . Some of the Brits have clearly tried to avoid the radar by flying London-Skopje-Memmingen then onto Austria...

The Circumnavigation for EU citizens & Brits /who arrived before Jan1st seems to be a Job & Bed is promised on arrival, they register etc but then the Job becomes redundant . So they then register for Unemployment and the Benefit pays for their continued existance and this pay's for the Bed/Ski Season ... Very Happy All Legal I think ..

Good news for the Brits they are not mentioned specifically here in der Spiegel ... but the are in the Austrian Media.

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/corona-in-st-anton-in-tirol-buergermeister-veraergert-ueber-zustrom-angeblicher-arbeitskraefte-a-dc157bf5-74a1-4758-9505-0591fe2f8867

There are Lockdown Quarantine rules ..

The Police have been & are checking€ Accommodations ..The fines are HIGH for individuals €1.4K & the Business €30K

Over in the East Tirol the South African variant has been detected and traced to a Ski Bum from South Africa.

NOTE

These folks should not be confused with the many Non Austrian Legal Residents, settled and are living in the Stanzertal for years There are many in this group from EU Nations, UK, Australia & many also have Dual Passports and the Authorities know who they all are...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________--

SNOW DAYS Very Happy Very Happy

_______________________________________________________________________________________
snow report
Wow it must be really terrible, there must be a real crisis in St Anton at the moment.
After all these years of having foreigners do all the menial work I find it hard to believe that the St Anton elite know how to work a snow shovel.
latest report
Dear me, on reading this article, my reaction is that it must be equally hard to find real news in Germany as here in Austria...Der Spiegel is reduced to peddling unsubstantiated second hand gossip from a different country about a subject (the alleged presence of international bums in St Anton) which is of absolutely no significance to its core readership..
snow report
@Bergsteiger278, there has been plenty of similar stories about the Bavarian mountain areas. All the devious Berliners, Müncheners etc finding ways to sneak down to the alps to overwhelm the small alpine villages. Mostly about local Mayors wanting to appear in the media to big themselves up!
snow conditions
^^ tbf a lot of this stuff - high to use long-term lets and job seeking to get across the border and circumvent the travel ban - was being openly discussed by foreigners and locals in of the main St Anton seasonaire FB groups. Though many of the posts have been deleted now.
snow report
Austrian Journo/Blogger reports on the Tricks applied to circumvent Lockdown...

https://www.vol.at/viele-schweden-bevoelkern-zweitwohnsitze-in-bad-gastein/6878473

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Weather

We are accumulating 1 metre over 2000Metres ..... Could be 1.5-2 metres higher.....

Very High Avalanche Risk

Arlbergpaß & Flexenpaß Closed ....

[img] https://snipboard.io/DRXuiT.jpg[/img]

Heavy Rain is expected below 1300 Metres .... This could result in Flooding , landslides ...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Ski Season outlook.

There is almost zero chance of Tourism for Foreigners in Austria this season...

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Enjoy..

Something for the Weekend ...... Anyone here remember seeing this being filmed in Stuben/Zürs ? Very Happy Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/BuL7SSP_dH0
snow report
@clarky999, Yes I saw that on FB, it got a bit heated eh?! I feel sorry for a lot of the long term ski community who have made their homes there in the local villages down the valley being tarred with the same brush as the numpties who just turned up via Zurich looking for a party. It's clear the police are taking a firm but fair hand too based on the comments i've read on FB, and also being good with long term folks, who as always will be behaving, it's the idiots who need sorting and i'm sure all from Helmut Mall downwards all know who they are.....seems to be being handled well, and TT also seem to have done a good job imv also for flagging it, it's been jumped on and rightly so.

Regards what's written above about Mayors bigging themselves up, it's not about that at all imv re St Anton. I know HM and I know he's not like that, he has an obligation to the town, and the long standing businesses, and more importantly the community who have invested in the town to protect the image of the town, and I know he's busy sorting the loutish rep that SA gets, and he's doing a great job imv. Can't comment about other towns obviously, but I know if the mayor of SA was looking to big himself up in the media (and I don't believe he would in any event) he wouldn't be doing it the way inferred above.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy