Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Booked a week in Cornwall as backup
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For start of June we cancelled. Now looking at the Haute Savoie.
For July we're looking at backup options close to home which can be cancelled.
For August still hoping to get abroad to a Schengen country.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yay, back on the MTB for proper long rides and maybe even a cheeky ski tour if there’s any snow left Very Happy
@davidof, 15th June earliest, depends on what the other countries are doing.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
KenX wrote:
Yay, back on the MTB for proper long rides and maybe even a cheeky ski tour if there’s any snow left Very Happy
@davidof, 15th June earliest, depends on what the other countries are doing.....

My assumption is the borders will remain closed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well Serre Che Press Office are very optimistic about the Summer !!

They sent this out today.

https://stylealtitude.com/upload/ETE_2020_SERRE_CHEVALIER.pdf

I'm sort of curious about the feasibility of cycling across the frontier and doing the Col Echelle loop via Bardonecchia (Col due to open 15th), only one way to find out I suppose Laughing

Mind you I've never seen any controls on the Echelle border, see what the Douane say at Montgenevre?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 7-05-20 17:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, Wow that is confident !!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:
Well Serre Che Press Office are very optimistic about the Summer !!

They sent this out today.

https://stylealtitude.com/upload/ETE_2020_SERRE_CHEVALIER.pdf

I'm sort of curious about the feasibility of cycling across the frontier and doing the Col Echelle loop via Bardonecchia (Col due to open 15th), only one way to find out I suppose Laughing

Mind you I've never seen any controls on the Echelle border, see what the Douane say at Montgenevre?

I thought the col de l'Echelle and Agnel were to remain closed for the summer by order of the govt. Maybe you'll be able to ride over on a bike on closed roads though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
KenX wrote:

My assumption is the borders will remain closed

Until 15th June earliest.......
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We received a letter today from the Marie informing us that we could collect our face masks on Monday 10-12, 2-4.

Just got to love the French even in a epidemic they close for lunch rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, @KenX, like I say only one way to find out.

Similar to my last ride up to the Douane post at Montgenevre over two months ago!

That said weather's looking not too cycling friendly next week.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stewart woodward wrote:
We received a letter today from the Marie informing us that we could collect our face masks on Monday 10-12, 2-4.

Just got to love the French even in a epidemic they close for lunch rolling eyes

Bien sûr.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Covid Dix-Neuf is only infectious 35 hours per week.
Today you're safe too as it's a holiday.
Better be careful on Monday though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So it's 100km á vol d'oiseau if travelling outside your own department or anywhere within your own department. Outside of those limits only for d’un motif professionnel ou familial impérieux. Quite a wide area really. There is an official tool for showing the 100km but it's over complicated and doesn't really work for me. It just generates a strange green blob on the map which is totally inaccurate.

For me that's Annecy in the north, Sisteron in the South, Valence to the West and anywhere in the east. Enough scope to keep me amused.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's not about how far I can go, don't need to go very far a few 10km's at most. It's how far away people can come and spoil our calm. Yeah LYON is way outside the 100km circle form Chamonix!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Idris, +1 on that Laughing

Only urban people that can get to us are Les Grenoblois.

The vast majority or 2nd homeowners here are from down South, Aix, Marseilles etc and that's way more than 100km.

However, looks like our plans to go back to the UK mid to end June might be bolloxed rolling eyes
snow report
@Weathercam, I know ! The UK have been letting people in willy nilly for months, and now they decide on quarantine rolling eyes

I should be OK, as I live and work at home so can easily be at 1 place for 2 weeks, but this move is going to utterly kill and tourist trade.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
However, looks like our plans to go back to the UK mid to end June might be bolloxed rolling eyes

Quick! Follow that horse!

Yep, ours too. Being remote workers, we could theoretically quarantine at my mother's for two weeks (I guess she'd have to stay in too), but as I generally try and keep my visits to a max of four days, I think I'll forego that option for mental health purposes Laughing
ski holidays
What? Knee jerk reaction from the UK Gov?

I cannot believe it!
snow conditions
@Scarlet, there's no way I could contemplate two weeks of no real exercise, I know one option could be going out at 05:00 in the morning etc and then the other reason for going back would be kiting and again there's no way I could sit indoors with my mates out kiting should it be windy rolling eyes

It is bizarre as where we are currently we're in nigh on total isolation and going back to the UK we'd be back amongst the hordes.

Have to say seemed like all of a few people out today breaking the rules Laughing
ski holidays
@Weathercam, yeah, fair enough. Like you, we’d be at a far higher risk of contracting it in the UK than here, so the quarantine makes little sense from our perspective. All moot at the moment anyway, as our border is closed.
snow report
@Weathercam,

Need to see what Boris has to say tomorrow wink

I don't fancy going back to UK for 2 weeks lock down when we have already done 8? Weeks here.
If the 2 weeks is correct we will probably go back before it is implemented.
snow conditions
Not too much point in people coming here, nothing much more will be open than now. A few hikers, etc I guess.

One shop opening next week is CBD https://www.cbd.fr/ so I'll be able to get legal cannabis products Laughing

I'm thinking that July may be when I visit UK. My parents (very vulnerable) can't see anyone until then and as an asthmatic my daughter is quite nervous. I wonder whether France will slap a similar period on UK citizens entering, tit for tat.
ski holidays
@stewart woodward, exactly it'll be somewhat galling to have to go into quarantine after 8 weeks of lock-down here whilst all my mates have been out logging big rides.

I'm just glad my OH feels the same way and is not pining too much to go back otherwise could be tricky.

Plus all somewhat ironic as we only completed on a seafront apartment back in February which we were hoping to AirBnB and stay there when we're back in the UK rolling eyes

Anyway far bigger issues for many currently and life will go on.

And putting it into perspective a little I posted these images yesterday on FaceBook.

The plaque commemorates the first flying bomb to fall on London on 13 June 1944, a week after D–Day, on my Grandad's shop, Grove Road, Bow, London, E3, London.

On a sombre note Six people were killed and forty-two injured and my Grandad was buried but survived.

He was an air raid warden and had survived WW1.

My father was invited to the ceremony.

I think this sort of puts Covid into perspective a little as to what our parents endured for over 5 years!

More here https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/blue-plaques/flying-bomb/?fbclid=IwAR0f8i7UW05vJA8y1DaLvprbzo4kvT71HuhiI7_5Tleyf21ESXOUSLtBlBA

latest report
The 2-week quarantine period seems to only be for air travel. Of course it should have been done 2-months ago!

I would hope common sense will prevail and UK/EU travel can continue in both ways. If not then the UK will be the biggest losers, at least BoJo will then change his mind when the public complain.
snow report
If any of us had been born in around 1900 we would have seen the WW1, Spanish flu, stock market crash, great depression and WW2 just to finish it off.

Puts it in perspective.
snow conditions
@Boris, Hi Boris. The media I have read said airports and ports. I hope its only airports!
snow report
@Boris, do you have any link that states that?
snow report
@Philip1972, @Hells Bells, I may be wrong - was only brief glance at news and focus was all airports. I hope they’re sensible and travel to EU is ok

@zzz, I’d now be 120 so wouldn’t complain
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells,

The artic
ski holidays
@Hells Bells,

The article I read included eurotunnel but it's probably just worth waiting until tomorrow for confirmation.
The press just keep printing anything to make a few headlines.
latest report
Simon Calder who is one of the most respected Travel correspondents.

The Independent understands the prime minister will announce on Sunday that travellers arriving in the UK by air, sea or rail will be obliged to self-isolate in stringent conditions for 14 days.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/holiday-coronavirus-travellers-quarantine-arriving-uk-a9506016.html

And from the same article:

Is there any alternative to quarantine for identifying carriers?
Yes, at least according to the Austrian authorities, which are already operating a 14-day quarantine policy. Passengers arriving at Vienna airport can avoid it by attending a medical centre near the terminal and undergoing a test for coronavirus.

Participants must pay €190 (£166) and wait for three hours for the results, but if they pass they have a “get out of jail free” card and need not self-isolate.

Now OH says she'd pay that, I'm not so sure I would, so there's a domestic in the making Laughing

Let's hope Boris does some serious "mulling" over things tonight, but somehow listening to the scientist in the daily briefing I think the decision has been made.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Simon Calder who is one of the most respected Travel correspondents.

The Independent understands the prime minister will announce on Sunday that travellers arriving in the UK by air, sea or rail will be obliged to self-isolate in stringent conditions for 14 days.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/holiday-coronavirus-travellers-quarantine-arriving-uk-a9506016.html

According to my mate in East Sussex this doesn't apply to people arriving by private boat from Calais, indeed from what he's seen there are absolutely no immigration formalities at all. Maybe a possibility for you plus you'd be direct to your front door.
snow report
@davidof, anyone got a private boat that can fit a car in for rent?!
ski holidays
Funny how many people have been calling for quarantine but now it affects them they are complaining
ski holidays
A mate of mine who spends all winter here is really pissed off. In February he bought a new yacht in Spain to replace the one he has in Croatia, intending to sell that. Of course he can't get to either, or his place here. Tough life Laughing
snow report
I don't believe it will happen. It would be completely impossible to "quarantine" the guys bringing in fresh produce by the thousands of tons on ferries and Eurotunnel. And idiotic to quarantine Frenchmen flying but not those coming over or under the channel.
snow conditions
@pam w, as I understand it, lorry drivers are exempt, and it will include people arriving by tunnel or ferry.
ski holidays
Like many of the UKs strategies it seems to be ill thought out and mistimed.
latest report
Philip1972 wrote:
@davidof, anyone got a private boat that can fit a car in for rent?!

No problemo, ask for Radic at the Bar du Port at Calais, he'll sort you out, for cash

ski holidays
@robs1, they should have instigated it when it all kicked off, or now ASAP so why wait till the end of the month?

Most on here are "moaning" out of frustration, plus those of us in France have endured a much more Draconian lock-down than the UK but admittedly not as tough as Spain and Italy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy