Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will French Alps Close Today / Weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody know if the French Alps is considering closing down due to Corvid-19?

I was booked into Zell am See tomorrow. Considering switching my flights to GVA but wondering if the French will announce closure today...

Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Defo open today as MrS Woc is working at ESF.
I am planning on boarding Sat & Sun in PdS.
No mention of closures on the resort websites.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Various chatter around resorts closing early but nothing official.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Worth booking an Easter trip or waiting . . .?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely wait
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nobody knows. Anything you hear will be speculation.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpinebear wrote:
Definitely wait
+1
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AntonAusTirol wrote:
Anybody know if the French Alps is considering closing down due to Corvid-19?

I was booked into Zell am See tomorrow. Considering switching my flights to GVA but wondering if the French will announce closure today...

Confused

Corvid-19?? Shocked

I'm always suspicious of people carrying Black Crows skis up the mountain...why can't they just buy a liftpass like everyone else?? Laughing Laughing

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@luigi, Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kids ski club has been cancelled indefinitely in ADH(Villard)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@luigi, Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
French ski federation has cancelled everything that they are responsible for including things organized by clubs.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Once they closed the schools, I would speculate that it is only a matter of time before they close the resorts following the Austrian lead.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And there is the risk that if you travel and the resort closes, you are stuck there with nothing to do. In Italy they closed everything except pharmacies and shops.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just had a snow trail race cancelled in Manigod, apparently due to constraints issued by the French federation of ski which will be shortly announced. So I think that resorts are likely to close this weekend. Gatherings of more than 100 people now banned.
snow report
Following meeting in the last hour.
PdS Staying Open for now.
Roc D'Enfer also open tomorrow.
snow report
I have spent weeks trying to fit back into my ski pants! I’m going to be so gutted if giving up everything enjoyable was all in vain and holiday gets cancelled. Supposed to be flying out to La Plagne on the 4th. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
In the same boat @SatsumasRock - I think there is very little chance any health professional will want thousands of people from all different parts of Europe arriving for the Easter break in a particular ski resort. I have accepted that this holiday won't happen and can understand why Sad

Feel sorry for the smaller ski operators and resort businesses that will be really badly affected by this
snow conditions
Link to news of FFS ceasing all competitions and training activities https://www.ledauphine.com/skichrono/2020/03/13/coronavirus-la-federation-francaise-de-ski-suspend-toutes-ses-activites
ski holidays
Jungle drums banging around on WhatsApp now - meant to be a meeting tonight about Serre Che (they've cancelled the Grand Prix for this weekend which was to have seen 2,000 competitors), closing and one post (from a very reliable man in the know) says Montgenevre closed, but nothing on their website nor live interactive piste map.

Don't know why they just don't close bars and restos, close gondolas, or just allow families etc in them, and run chairs and drags?

Think touring kit will be in great demand Laughing
snow report
I know it's really selfish of me because there are more important issues but, other than being really really gutted not to ski this year, if the resort closes but the FCO hasn't advised against travel to France, I'm worried that insurance will be tricky to claim against.
latest report
Would closure of the resort not be classed as a significant change to your holiday - if you have booked with a tour operator? You could therefore move it or get refund
latest report
rutlandchris wrote:
Would closure of the resort not be classed as a significant change to your holiday - if you have booked with a tour operator? You could therefore move it or get refund

This is literally the first ski holiday that we haven’t booked a package with a tour operator. We’ve paid for flights and accommodation separately. Off to check out insurance policy with crossed fingers now…..
snow conditions
Schools closing in Vaud Switzerland, as well as cinemas, theatres, sports clubs, fitness centres, etc, until end-April. I can`t see ski resorts on the list but I imagine it will be included
ski holidays
Meant to be flying to Lyon on the 28th. Not looking too likely, but will continue to keep fingers crossed.

Flights and accom, lift pass and ski hire all booked separately. Assuming that the flights get cancelled, it should be an easy insurance claim. If the flights are ok, but the resort closes, it may prove a little trickier, though I suspect we will get back what is due in one way or another.

Yes, it's a major, global issue, but from a selfish point, I will certainly be gutted if I can't go.
snow conditions
SatsumasRock wrote:
rutlandchris wrote:

This is literally the first ski holiday that we haven’t booked a package with a tour operator. We’ve paid for flights and accommodation separately. Off to check out insurance policy with crossed fingers now…..

The money is sunk cost anyway. No one likes to be down but unless you were hoping to use the refund for a replacement holiday you are no worse off, and probably better off if anything you have booked is cancellable
ski holidays
Our costs to come home will be negligible. It will just mean a change of dates and sorting out a vet appointment for the dogs asap. I'm just pissed off with it all now.
snow report
"The money is sunk cost anyway. No one likes to be down but unless you were hoping to use the refund for a replacement holiday you are no worse off..."

Other than not having had a ski trip. Shocked Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, Are you in Serre Che now? Are you going home earlier than you planned?
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, as in: is Serre Che closed?
latest report
The resorts will be very aware that they have a new group heading out the next two days, any decision to close must come soon. Regardless of how many cases they say the do or don't have there will be people travelling in and out who have it, if they present or not in resort is different. We are due to fly Sunday and I'll be pi55ed if they fly us out only to close a day or so later. I know there are more important things but it's about how situations are managed, that is what would frustrate.
snow report
Can’t believe France resorts won’t also close next week following the decisions from Italy, Austria and Switzerland
snow conditions
Val-T seem faily upbeat on their site. (They even clean the lifts after each 3,000th person, by my calculation.)

Current situation in Val Thorens - Last update: 13/03/2020 - 10:00am

Here is the information we have for the moment :
All the lifts in Val Thorens and the 3 Valleys are currently open and functioning normally.
The French government does not envisage the closure for the moment of the French ski areas.
At present, no suspicion or proven case of Covid-19 has been detected in Val Thorens.

However, as a preventive measure, we are planning a certain number of actions:
All the cabins of the Setam ski lifts will be disinfected twice a day.
Setam has decided to temporarily limit the capacity of the Funitels and cable cars in the Val Thorens area.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
SatsumasRock wrote:
rutlandchris wrote:

The money is sunk cost anyway. No one likes to be down but unless you were hoping to use the refund for a replacement holiday you are no worse off, and probably better off if anything you have booked is cancellable

That logic doesn’t make sense. If I’d bought goods for a few grand but I didn’t receive them, I wouldn’t shrug it off as ‘sunk cost’. I personally don’t have enough cash lying around to just shrug and write it off.

Anyway, nothing has been decided yet and I haven’t checked my insurance small print yet.
ski holidays
Daily Mail online ( not my usual reading, honestly) is saying that the French ski resorts are meeting this afternoon to decide whether to close.
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Can’t believe France resorts won’t also close next week following the decisions from Italy, Austria and Switzerland

Jealous? Toofy Grin
snow report
Just driving towards Chambéry on way to Val D. Hoping for some skiing. Night booked in BSM then head up in morning.
latest report
Oleski wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Jealous? Toofy Grin

No the situation is incredibly sad, especially for all the businesses and workers impacted. I just it find it hard to believe France will not act given the decisions made around them.

It is a mere inconvenience for me. People’s health and jobs are far more important
snow report
Friend in Tignes, seasonaire, runs a chalet, just told us that Tignes has released a statement that resort will stay open until May 5th, with no plans to close early.
snow report
@Jonpim, And here it is in English, like all the other C word threads this one could do with a few facts rather than armchair commentators:

https://en.tignes.net/informations-covid-19
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy