Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

6’10” 120kg - what ski???

Poster: A snowHead
So I’m looking to buy new skis and I’ve got a short list: Nordica Enforcer 93 or 100 193cm, Völkl M5 191cm, Head Kore 93 or 99 189cm. I’m a fast aggressive skier that spends most time on piste but likes the occasional blast off piste - I want to increase this though...
Völkl - I like the sound of being stiff and aggressive, just don’t want to be tired out?
Head - like the sound of being crazy light as big skis weigh me down sometimes, but could be too light at high speed?
Nordica - not sure I don’t like anything about these, other than maybe they’re aimed more off piste? Heard they chatter a bit, but as long as that means not unstable I don’t mind.
I’ve included the wider skis as I’m thinking that the wider ones may perform like the narrower ones do with average sized skiers? They’re much shorter than my height and I’m heavy, so maybe I’d need wider for float? Maybe I’m wrong though! Ive has mixed recommendations- any help much appreciated as I’m going on the 8th Feb! Cheers John Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JohnyJ, welcome to snowHeads.

Piste performance skis for 'big guys' are easy - you just go and buy a pair of FIS construction GS cheater skis and you're good to go.

But there are a lot less all mtn skis on the market now for guys of your stats than there used to be as it's not commercially viable to cater for such a small percentile. The go-to all mtn ski used to be the old model metal layered Volkl Katana but that was discontinued a good few years ago so finding a used pair is difficult and they command a high price. However, if you can wait until the Autumn then Volkl are relaunching it for 20/21.

For a one ski solution I'd recommend the 19/20 Nordica Enforcer Free 104 in 191cm. The Free 104 has the same construction as the 100 & 93 but its tail is not quite as flat and, more importantly, its tips'n'tails are stiffer so its far better suited to your stats. Alternatively, I'd also recommend the 19/20 Dynastar Legend Pro F-Team which is 105mm underfoot and only comes in 191cm.

Alternatively, you might want to consider building a two ski quiver from the start, which is actually easier to do. Same GS cheater ski but make sure it has a race plate with screw in bindings and then get a pair of 2018 trad construction Whitedot Ragnaroks (we have a few pairs left at the right price) and share the bindings off the GS ski using Quiver Killer inserts and a pair of wider brakes. This will give you a far wider performance range than a one ski solution (even more useful for a big fella) but you can flat pack the skis for easy transportation etc.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 30-01-20 0:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big ones.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Spyderjon, thanks for your reply!! I should have added that I’ve not bought skis for about 15 years, and not ski’d much abroad for 8 - so I’m out of touch with the lingo!! Haha Fis, cheater and quiver? Sorry!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ha! Thanks marodo2712!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not sure that fast and aggressive on piste and floaty off piste is a viable proposition for someone of your size.

However, you're not that heavy so any stiff ski in the high 180s in length would work and I'd suggest mid 80s wide would still give you the on piste performance you actually enjoy. Kastle mx89 or Blizzard brahma would fit those criteria
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great thanks, not looked at Blizzard yet!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Riccardo - I looked at Brahma 88 and reviews say the Nordica Enforcer 88 is stiffer. Do you agree? Then if so, I went back to comparing enforcer 88 to the 93 and the length of the 93 goes up to 193 compared to 187 both for the enforcer 88 and Brahma 88. Do you think this matters that much? I’d be skiing the Brahma 21cm shorter than height? I know big guys ski small GS skis, but?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JohnyJ, I think you'd have much more on-piste fun with the Brahma.

As for the height, I don't know, taller people can advise, I'm only 6 3. You've got to compromise somewhere and weight/power/technique are more important I believe. I'm not saying you haven't got a lot of the latter, just not to get overly hung up on the height thing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JonnyJ , There's a big difference in the leverage applied by someone 6'10"/120kg and 6'3"/120kg. I have a number of customers in the high 6" range and one 7' ex-pro basketball player and believe me you need to go max on length as well as stiffness. Ideally, with a rockered ski, you'd be looking for a 205-210 ski but they don't exist so going down to a 191-193 is already compromising on length a lot.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Riccardo, appreciate the advice!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Spyderjon!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JohnyJ wrote:
Hi Spyderjon, thanks for your reply!! I should have added that I’ve not bought skis for about 15 years, and not ski’d much abroad for 8 - so I’m out of touch with the lingo!! Haha Fis, cheater and quiver? Sorry!

Quiver your collection of skis

Cheaters, nearly but not quite full on race skis https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74158

Oh and in case you don't know snowHead Spyderjon is a professional ski technician.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 30-01-20 9:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Top man, thank you!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
@JohnyJ, welcome to snowHeads.

Piste performance skis for 'big guys' are easy - you just go and buy a pair of FIS construction GS cheater skis and you're good to go.

But there are a lot less all mtn skis on the market now for guys of your stats than there used to be as it's not commercially viable to cater for such a small percentile. The go-to all mtn ski used to be the old model metal layered Volkl Katana but that was discontinued a good few years ago so finding a used pair is difficult and they command a high price. However, if you can wait until the Autumn then Volkl are relaunching it for 20/21.

For a one ski solution I'd recommend the 19/20 Nordica Enforcer Free 104 in 191cm. The Free 104 has the same construction as the 100 & 93 but its tail is not quite as flat and, more importantly, its tips'n'tails are stiffer so its far better suited to your stats. Alternatively, I'd also recommend the 19/20 Dynastar Legend Pro F-Team which is 105mm underfoot and only comes in 191cm.

Alternatively, you might want to consider building a two ski quiver from the start, which is actually easier to do. Same GS cheater ski but make sure it has a race plate with screw in bindings and then get a pair of 2018 trad construction Whitedot Ragnaroks (we have a few pairs left at the right price) and share the bindings off the GS ski using Quiver Killer inserts and a pair of wider brakes. This will give you a far wider performance range than a one ski solution (even more useful for a big fella) but you can flat pack the skis for easy transportation etc.

Spyderjon - just looked on eBay and found old style Völkl Katana 191 2014?! But my boots are 356mm - is this a problem?? I could come to you to sort out if there’s a solution?

The description is
Volkl Katana 191 Ski 2014. Used but in great condition with perfect edges and bases. I used this as my powder ski and as such hasn’t been used that much. There are some minor scratches to the top sheets but really not noticeable.

This ski has been installed with quiver killer inserts for Marker Griffon binding 329mm boot length. Will probably go up and down a size.

This is the 2014 model and is the last full metal katana that Völkl made. If you want a ski for charging hard in any condition this is it. Because it’s a reverse camber it’s surprisingly easy to ski on piste.

Read the full article here from blister reviews and they will tell you how good it is!

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2011-2012-volkl-katana-191cm

Only selling as I have a baby on the way so sizing down my ski collection to make space.
ski holidays
I'm same weight as you and silightly shorter i found my pair of head monster im88's 186 very stable at speed on and off piste.. they are for sale on here or go for whatever the new version of them is..

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149742&highlight=
snow conditions
Thanks II, appreciate the heads up! I think I might be sorted now cheers
snow report
@JohnyJ, Blizzard Brahma 88, Volkl Kendo, or... if you really feel the need Blizzard Cochise.

The above skis can be found currently on Ebay, if you want to take a chance with "pre-loved" skis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy