Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please explain the term "cheater"

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of investing in a pair G.S skis in the end of year sales , but am confused about the difference between
Cheater/race/ F.I.S skis , help please Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Neilski, FIS spec GS skis have a sidecut radius of >27m (male) or >23m (female), the "cheater" skis have a sidecut radius less than this.

What do you want them for ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sometimes, like with Slalom skis which have no radius specs for FIS regs, the cheater has a binding stand height of more than 50mm, or possibly (rarely) a ski tail height of more than 10mm

Cheaters and Real FIS skis aside, do you know what make you are going for? each make has a different feel, even though some are virtually identical (Atomic D2 - Salomon LAB) and (Rossignol - Dynastar).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Either people give you skis or you buy them, either way, people will tell you they are or are not. It's bollox really, buy well made skis, go fast and keep going.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, well said indeed!

Damn good advice.

Unless one must make the necessary bow to the keepers of the sacred Rules of FIS. What a drag...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs, After this years trip to the PDS i rediscovered the enjoyment of piste skiing, as there was really no off piste at all. So spent a week re-learning to carve , I ski a mid fat all mountain ski with a 17m radius , which performed well enough, but struggled at times on the scrapped off and icy parts. So the thought is to have a set of skis to be able to really enjoy whatever conditions the mountains choose for me. I am 1.65 m tall and weigh 84 kg, and I like the trend back to longer skis , and want to work at the med to long turns to increase speed.
I have no specific make in mind , so would love some suggestions to research and hopefully pick a last years model bargain at the end of the season ready for 2012 snowHead
Cheers
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Neilski, I recently aquired a pair of Head TT80's in a 176 length. I'm a bit taller than you but weigh about the same.

The ski are 118-67-102 with a 14mtr turn radius. They rock on piste and are probably the quickest skis i've ever tried. They are very stable and track like they're on rails.Try to demo something similar. I think there's a "racier" Speed 13?

ps. you mention the trend back to longer skis...I've heard that head may be building ski over 2 mtrs again next year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GeorgeVII, Most manufacturers have made skis over 2M long for years. They are race Super G or Downhill skis.
I sold a pair of 215 DH Atomics to a Dutch guy who just wanted to go very fast on piste. Not a racer at all.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

ps. you mention the trend back to longer skis...I've heard that head may be building ski over 2 mtrs again next year

That's nothing new, pretty much any non-slalom race ski will be around 2metres or over.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, &Plugboy, . I meant for recreational skis, not race telegraph poles wink .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neilski, "cheater" "race" skis have similar graphics to "real" "race" skis but are (a lot) easier to ski on, (a lot) more forgiving and better as all round skis for most people.

That said, I played on a chums new "cheater" slalom skis a couple of weeks ago and as a piste ski they were at least as much fun as my 4 year old, 120+ day,\not tuned in a while non-cheater SLs.

Something piste oriented would be the Rossignol 9X Oversize, more offpiste oriented maybe Stockli Stormrider VXL?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting - two views here.

I'd rank cheater skis with narrower waist, therefore tighter radius, therefore easier to take the gates.

I'm not sure that cheater skis are the more forgiving versions of the race stock, or the recreational versions of punter race skis (Equipe GC,s vs 3V's for example) but the term can apply equally I suppose.

Race stock (for athletes) > Race (available in a shop) > Recreational race (a detuned race ski, a bit more forgiving). Salomon Lab probably fit somewhere between race stock and Race.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
starskee, my FIS SLs have a 66mm waist. How much narrower do you think you can get?

Maybe what you mean is more sidecut, as they tend to be wider underfoot...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name,
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, My Omecarves 10's were 65 underfoot and they are classed as piste performance, not even race, but the point is, your FIS approved dimensions are there to ensure a level playing field, it doesn't stop Joe Normal from buying a pair of skis with a narrower waist (which may or may not translate to a lower turning radius) than the FIS equivalent.

You could buy Omeglass in 63mm underfoot for a season or two, doesn't mean they were FIS legal but the radius was less on those so you could theoretically turn a gate later and still make it.

You know what I mean though.

Cheater is either a ski with a lower sidecut to give you the edge in the turn, OR a more forgiving punter version named a cheater because you can appear to knwo what you are doing, but not be on race stock or even race level skis.
snow report
starskee, A 63mm waist slalom ski is still FIS legal. The main thing stopping Joe Normal from buying skis narrower than 65mm is that the manufacturers don't make them.
latest report
Arrgh, I'm not saying it right, or something, nevermind Happy
snow conditions
Ok I think what concerns me is the term " FIS or race " which seems to infer a certain v. high standard of skier is required to run these things , so I what I really want is a ski that operates in the medium to long radius turn range, and can be skied at high(ish) speed on hard fast pistes, but is in no way an "all mountain ski" or a short turn salom ski, and I am not interested in gates , just want to ski fast and in control , so all ideas welcome .
Cheers snowHead snowHead
latest report
So a gs cheater then ;D Head supershape magnum/whatever the other one is seem to be popular.
ski holidays
Indeed , just as clarky999 said, the Heads ( magnum or ispeed) or Rossignol R9X(09-10)/9GS(10-11), or Fischer RC4 RC, or Kastle RX, etc.....

Many of these are classed, as you rightly said, "cheater,
They are the step below the FIS ranges, and as such tend to look similar in graphics, have similar a feel ( ish, always softer and less demanding), and sometimes similar dimensions.
snow conditions
Neilski, Head iSpeed.
snow report
thanks to all, the kastle rx is an interesting thought, i love the mx 88 as an all mountain ski, will now do some demos and see what turns up in the end of season sales Toofy Grin
snow report
GeorgeVII wrote:

ps. you mention the trend back to longer skis...I've heard that head may be building ski over 2 mtrs again next year.

HEAD have made a 2.00m piste ski for next season called the GTO Testoterminator, it's basically their SG Race ski in construction with the metal taken out.
17.6m radius @ 2.00m 118/63/100

Rocket Sled on Rails comes to mind.
snow conditions
Neilski, hmmm, if you'r enot a "high" standard of skier, I'm not sure I want to recommend anything that allows you to ski at "high" speed, least not when I'm around.
snow conditions
Quote:

GTO Testoterminator

Best name ever??!!
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

GTO Testoterminator

Best name ever??!!

Sorry I misspelt it, it's GTO Testosterminator
snow conditions
under a new name, fair call, Smile i suppose what i really meant was that most of what i have read about real FIS and race skis is that they need to be worked hard all the time or that they really are for racing only, and what i want from the ski is the ability to ski reds and blacks clean and fast and safely when the conditions are right but also to cruise around without to much effort when taking it easy Cool

so a ski that can "turn it on" would be great oppossed to one that needs to be skied hard all the time,

hope you will feel a little safer now, and will look forward to your suggestions
ski holidays
Neilski,
Try these:-

http://en.stoeckli.ch/no_cache/main/ski/collection/?skiCatId=14&skiPrdId=16

They are cheater GS skis, as opposed to their FIS GS model, which is not on the website, although they're in the catalogue.
Or you could try my personal favorite, the Laser SC, which is in between an SL and GS ski.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skier from Argentina, cheers , i have always admired stockli skis and will add them to short list snowHead
ski holidays
Neilski, if you can get a hold of Vist Superfront Twos they would be perfect. Never been wanting for edge hold yet they are fairly happy in mixed piste conditions and good for cruising.
snow conditions
Neilski, hee hee, fair enough you too. I'd say unless you require good off piste performance, in which case you start compromising then something like the Rossi 9X Oversize (which is wide enough to be fair off piste) or Volkl Racetiger GS would be a lot of fun. Generally easy to find as rentals so easy to test.
snow report
under a new name, cheers, have no need to compromise , as am really happy with my kastle mx 88 as an all mountain ski and does perform well on piste , so an all out piste ski is waht is called for and the volkl is one i tried a few years back and thought it was e great ski but too much money at the time, but i like the idea of renting to demo , and then see what the sales bring snowHead

scotia, a new name for me , so will look into them snowHead

the list is growing nicely Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Neilski, Vist have a nice reputation. Never skied them. Stocklis also a good suggestion. Frankly almost anything one level below all out race would probably suit. Nordica Spitfire also worth looking at.
latest report
SmallZooKeeper has a pair of 190cm full bore Dynastar GS skis for sale 2nd hand that look attractive...you'd certainly find them fast enough Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy