Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
Kronplatz is normally one of the first to open on the 30th November. It usually has as many runs and lifts open as anywhere else in the Alps early season its the sking tends to be very reliable on sheltered slopes and artifical snow.

The webcam at the top of this page is Kronplatz. Here is a review https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/kronplatz-the-best-italian-ski-resort-youve-never-heard-of/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Col Gallina lift at cinque torri opened today. Most areas open end of November this season. Remaining ones will open soon after
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Full list of when each area is opening:

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Live-info/Open-lifts
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lots of snow in the Marmolada area now and they were making up the piste down from the Fedaia pass 2 days ago. We have snow forecast for the rest of the week with the jetstream set over the Sahara until Sunday which should bring lots of precipitation. Here's some pics looking towards Civetta and down the valley. https://www.instagram.com/p/B4rajImDuG1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Casa Alfredino wrote:
Lots of snow in the Marmolada area now and they were making up the piste down from the Fedaia pass 2 days ago. We have snow forecast for the rest of the week with the jetstream set over the Sahara until Sunday which should bring lots of precipitation. Here's some pics looking towards Civetta and down the valley. https://www.instagram.com/p/B4rajImDuG1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Great photos and appreciate your regular reports. Nothing better than having someone there full time to report on conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Currently snowing lightly across the Dolomites. Snow cannons also on in various places

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/passo-campolongo.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does anyone have information on new lifts or lift upgrades in the Dolomites for the 19/20 season? I know they were working on one of the chairs near the Cittá Dei Sassi but I'm sure there are other projects too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IanTr wrote:
Does anyone have information on new lifts or lift upgrades in the Dolomites for the 19/20 season? I know they were working on one of the chairs near the Cittá Dei Sassi but I'm sure there are other projects too.

All the news for this season can be found on the following thread in the Resort Review section:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=147914

or you can get the official update below:

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Service/PR/PR-texts

https://www.skiforum.it/skinews/753-novita-dolomiti-superski-2019-20.html
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jimmybog wrote:
Casa Alfredino wrote:

Great photos and appreciate your regular reports. Nothing better than having someone there full time to report on conditions.

+1
Thanks Alfred snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Given the amount of snow that looks to be on the way over the next 5 days I can imagine that the finance manager will be pretty happy about the potential savings on snowmaking, at least on the upper slopes snowHead Hope it doesn't lead to an extraordinarily mild December.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter S wrote:
Given the amount of snow that looks to be on the way over the next 5 days I can imagine that the finance manager will be pretty happy about the potential savings on snowmaking, at least on the upper slopes snowHead Hope it doesn't lead to an extraordinarily mild December.

And I suspect they will be happy that there has been lots of precipitation overall and the reservoirs will be fairly full for snowmaking if required.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually I wouldn't say it's been particularly rainy here this autumn - there was a rainy patch just a couple fo weeks ago but other than that we were out enjoying amazing autumn colours until close to the end of October! We have Europes highest beech forest just up the road from us at Sottoguda which was truely spectacular.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Casa Alfredino wrote:
Actually I wouldn't say it's been particularly rainy here this autumn - there was a rainy patch just a couple fo weeks ago but other than that we were out enjoying amazing autumn colours until close to the end of October! We have Europes highest beech forest just up the road from us at Sottoguda which was truely spectacular.

Must admit I haven't taken much notice of the weather much during October. But there certainly has been quite a lot of precipitation during November, whether it be rain or snow. Also there must be quite a lot of snowmelt by now from the early November falls that weren't higher up.

Must have been nice to have a quiet dry October this year, compared to the awful storm that hit the region last year?/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wasn't here during the storm, only a week afterwards when I came to check things over and see if I could lend a hand to people and we have subsequently moved here. Compared with that week after, it's been nothing nearly as rainy, when even after the storm it was pouring down. This is what it was like then in Val Pettorina and truth be told, mostly the trees are the way they were. https://photos.app.goo.gl/kCiAqCBbpz2n1Xhd7 Lots of work done on the waterways etc, but the forest are still rather sad where they were mostly composed of young pines. The Beech forest on the other hand fared very well! https://photos.app.goo.gl/8oqFYC7QyNaJnvdL6
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bergfex are predicting almost 2m of snow up the mountains this week and maybe 1m in the valley at Corvara (plus a lot of rain unfortunately).

https://www.bergfex.com/sommer/corvara/wetter/prognose/
snow report
OK, am officially excited. Currently snowing in town in Selva, at 1500 m, although temp showing 1.5 deg.
snow conditions
Time for a 'squiggly' line …! :: Map is centred just outside Arabba

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 12-11-19 12:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
albob wrote:
Time for a 'squiggly' line …!

http://modeles7.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/runs/2019111206/graphe3_1000___11.873772_46.497167.jpg

Thats from yesterdays 06z run. Todays 06z will not have updated yet. Probably another hour or so.
snow conditions
Just booked an airbnb in Kastelruth for my OH and I for the whole of Jan / Feb. Watching this thread with keen interest now!
ski holidays
LukeRibs wrote:
Just booked an airbnb in Kastelruth for my OH and I for the whole of Jan / Feb. Watching this thread with keen interest now!

You're going to do a lot of driving once you get bored of Alpe di Siusi by the end of a week! If I were you I'd find something more central... sorry if that sounds a bit pessimistic but it's on the very fringe of the ski area...
snow report
@Casa Alfredino, Thanks for the tip - Google maps says we're less than a 20 minute drive from Ortisei, and onto the lift network proper? Is that incorrect? I can cope with 20 minutes...
snow report
@LukeRibs, lucky man...!
snow report
Yes it's 20 minutes to Ortisei, but Ortisei is still a little way out from the action. Plus there's all the skiing around Val di Fassa, Arabba, Corvara, Falzarego etc... you could find somewhere a bit further east which will place you right in the heart of the action and still be able to reach Alpe di Siusi reasonably easily... Armentarola for example?
snow report
Looking at Bergfex there is a good chance that by Saturday night they will have reached and exceeded their seasonal target piste depth on the upper slopes. If the target piste depth is 45cms and we assume that 10cms of snow will compress down to 2.5cms underneath a piste basher, then 1.8m natural snow depth should be sufficient, without having to make any artificial snow on the upper slopes. They would still have more than two weeks to run until the season officially starts. Alternatively......it might not work out like that. Exciting times:lol:
latest report
Quote:

Looking at Bergfex

From past experience, I wouldn't rely too much on their accuracy. Mountain weather is notoriously difficult to forecast.

Wait til you see the whites of the snowflakes Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
From the local Dolomites met office: (not sure if the snow amounts include today's falls but I suspect they do)

Wednesday 13.
Rainfall. In the night, moderate / strong rainfall (90/100%), with snow levels at 900/1200 m on the Dolomites, temporarily at 600/700 m in the most closed valleys. On the very variable Prealps: from 1200/1300 m on the Verona Prealps to 1400/1600 m of the Belluno Prealps. During the day, rainfall easing up to weak scattered in the central hours (40/50%), exhaustion in the afternoon / evening; Average snow level slightly decreasing due to cold air intake. The quantities will be abundant with 30/50 mm, locally 70/80 mm in the Prealps, with 40/50 cm of fresh snow at 1800/2000 m, smaller contributions under this altitude for rain or damp and heavy snow.

Tuesday 12
Forecast for today's afternoon. Time disturbed with widespread precipitation of weak / moderate intensity. In the evening intensification of bad weather with moderate / strong phenomena (100%). Snow level up during the day at 1500/1800 m between Dolomites Prealpi, decreasing in the evening, especially on the Dolomites, up to 1100/1300 m, even at lower altitudes in the most closed valleys, up to 1300/1500 m on the Prealps for greater scirocco advection.
snow conditions
So far the forecast for today is correct - it's been drizzling here, so I cleared the drive of the slush in preparation for the snow this evening...
latest report
Pinched this from last years thread (PeterS..)

gives details of snow making/depths and webcams in the Alta Badia

https://snowreport.skicarosello.it/skicarosello/?lang=en
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting how the current synoptics have reversed the more common pattern of dry air and sunshine in the Dolomites and heavy snow in the Tarantaise.

With low pressure centred over southern Italy the South eastern alps are exposed to saturated air off the Mediterranean which is producing heavy wet snow. The next five days could see impressive, potentially disruptive levels of snow over the higher slopes.

I'm guessing that a similar prolonged pattern ultimately led to the White Friday avalanches in December 1916
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Friday_(1916)
snow report
Latest updated snow report for the overnight snow. This is for new fallen snow rather than current depths!!

Cortina - 80cm
Val Gardena - 55cm
Alta Badia - 50cm
Seiser Alm - 30cm
3 Peaks - 30cm
Arraba - 30cm
Speikboden - 40cm
Klausberg - 45cm
snow report
The best start to a season in years. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Latest forecast from Dolomites weather service:

Fridays snowfall:
On the Dolomites the limit will be very variable from 800/1000 m in the most closed valleys to 1300/1500 m in the most open sectors
Fresh snow intakes of 60/80 cm over 1800/1900 m, locally more in the southern Dolomites

Saturday afternoon snowfall:
The initial limit of snowfall will be anywhere on 1200/1400 m, before going back up to 1600/1800 m late in the evening

Sunday snowfall:
New phase of bad weather with heavy rainfall, snow on 1600/1800 m on the Prealps and 1200/1500 m on the Dolomites
latest report
Had a pretty big storm last night with very high winds last night, sufficient to bend the satellite dish mast on the roof. Mainly rain falling at 1100 intil 1am, there was probably 15-20cm accumulated overnight. Today it's been lightly snowing, maybe 5cm accumulated since 10.30. Not showing any sign of stopping yet. All passes in the area are closed apart from Campolongo (which is narly always kept open), so Pordoi, Fedaia, Falzarego and Sella all closed. I would imagine with the wind which was easterly, western aspects will be avalanche prone at the moment especially if there are large accumlations high up.
snow conditions
PS Venice has suffered very very badly - 2 people dead, boat (as in a vapouretta) washed up on shore, the Basilica has been damaged and San Marcos is underwater.
ski holidays
This is from the feed of an aquaintence...

https://www.facebook.com/marcobassot/posts/10157718737914534

And here's the view from my roof when I got up there to fix the antenna...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4zqx6_IzEr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
snow conditions
Selva Town Centre this PM - just look at the depth on top of the skiers 'crossing' (just below the P parking sign)

ski holidays
The gates are closed I can see! Toofy Grin
snow report
@Hyst, Smile !!
ski holidays
@albob,

They'd have that shaped up in a jiffy if it were in season. wink If watched the basher from the Kronestube with a pint in hand on many an occasion. It's artistry how they shape that small bowl with such a large machine. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
They really ought to sort that crossing out with a bridge or something like the Arabba Fly.
Lovely pic though and as @Mollerski said, best start in a decade I'd say.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy