Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why are there so many idiots on the slopes?/Pole-tapping

Poster: A snowHead
@pieman666, true, if you had to keep looking behind to check then your eyes aren’t ahead of you checking for unpredictable obstacles.
It’s like driving, you have to allow for other people doing things you might not expect. If you do that and allow people plenty of room then chances are you won’t crash (assuming appropriate speed).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
peter_h wrote:
..., and ignoring the personal attacks which are typical on snowheads,...

They aren't personal attacks. The comments are to try and help you understand that at the moment you simply cannot ski very well but you are incredibly stubborn about not accepting the fact. You want to be a poor skier who is a danger to yourself and others?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, He can't moan at personal attacks when he's calling perfectly justified people minding their own business as Dickheads.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Am I watching the right video here? Someone on skis on big wide slope, goes in direction of where boarder is pootling about ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1. know the rules
2. understand others don't know or care about the rules
3. obey the rules, in spite of #2

For simplicity, just use the Golden Rule
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hilariously, he has a video in his thread about skiing holidays with a none skiing girlfriend where as he accelerates from just creeping along panning his camera about, you can clearly see his shadow. His head doesn't move. ie. No look. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@cameronphillips2000, ...er.....yes, that’s the size of it....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
....and while travelling this week I decided to watch the various videos and nonsense on my phone (I was stuck for 4 hours in the midst of a Ryan Air ‘special’) and watching the video of ValaisGrom doing some excellent carving at Vercorin - on off piste planks no less. He was running this nice predictable turns, very measured and smooth - ll in a nice straight line. And I could see some idiot nearly hitting him every turn, the divot having to throw a big braking turn in every time. I tutted and muttered.

And then I saw who it was. My partner, his mother.

Gulp.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@valais2, Whoops Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don’t listen to them Peter. It is obvious that the Boarder is at fault. I’m not sure at which point he made his initial mistake, but it could have been in Decathalon when he bought that two-tone jacket with the tan sleeves.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
peter_h wrote:
So, to summarise, and ignoring the personal attacks which are typical on snowheads, is the following correct:

(1) a slope user who is STATIONARY should look uphill before moving

(2) a slope user who is MOVING (no matter how slowly) does not have to look uphill before moving

What is the situation where one slope user comes up from behind you, gets in front of you, and slows down so you go into him? You were upslope at the moment of impact so you are at fault - is that correct?

dont forget the rest...

The 10 FIS rules apply for ski runs worldwide.

The FIS rules are comparable to international road traffic regulations. Every skier and snowboarder should be aware of these FIS rules in order to protect yourself and others from potential dangers and to avoid accidents on ski slopes.

1. Respect for others
A skier or snowboarder must behave in such a way that he does not endanger or prejudice others.

2. Control of speed and skiing or snowboarding
A skier or snowboarder must move in control. He must adapt his speed and manner of skiing or snowboarding to his personal ability and to the prevailing conditions of terrain, snow and weather as well as to the density of traffic.

3. Choice of route
A skier or snowboarder coming from behind must choose his route in such a way that he does not endanger skiers or snowboarders ahead.

4. Overtaking
A skier or snowboarder may overtake another skier or snowboarder above or below and to the right or to the left provided that he leaves enough space for the overtaken skier or snowboarder to make any voluntary or involuntary movement.

5. Entering, starting and moving upwards
A skier or snowboarder entering a marked run, starting again after stopping or moving upwards on the slopes must look up and down the slopes that he can do so without endangering himself or others.

6. Stopping on the piste
Unless absolutely necessary, a skier or snowboarder must avoid stopping on the piste in narrow places or where visibility is restricted. After a fall in such a place, a skier or snowboarder must move clear of the piste as soon as possible.

7. Climbing and descending on foot
A skier or snowboarder either climbing or descending on foot must keep to the side of the piste.

8. Respect for signs and markings
A skier or snowboarder must respect all signs and markings.

9. Assistance
At accidents, every skier or snowboarder is duty bound to assist.

10. Identification
Every skier or snowboarder and witness, whether a responsible party or not, must exchange names and addresses following an accident.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/wuIpX6m5W3w
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't see what the problem is. The boarder did nothing wrong, (much as it goes against the grain to say that Sad ). The skier could easily have been on the other side of the piste. Missed him by quite a margin. I have had much closer scrapes. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

@Awdbugga, Did I miss the popcorn? Sad Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thecramps, Ouch!! but no more that he deserved Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

That's got to be the most idiotic base jump ever! He even forgot his parachute. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@thecramps, Oooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooouch!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 27-01-19 19:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@peter_h, I know it's been said several times on the thread now, but I feel I have to add another comment in defence of the poor boarder who has done nothing wrong and is being unfairly labelled as a dickhead on your video!

As everyone has said and you've confirmed, if stationary, look uphill before setting off, but if moving, the downhill skier/boarder has priority (you should be leaving sufficient space for you to be able to deal with unpredictable turning patterns/changes in speed, etc.). Surely you can't realistically expect people to look behind them before turning - would you really do this yourself? As a somewhat cautious skier, who isn't that keen on knowing there are loads of people behind me - I know many will be wanting to overtake me! - I am often tempted to look round when I can hear someone close behind (and tend to glance before turning in a particularly congested area). However, I've been told by at least one ski instructor to stop worrying about what's behind me and just concentrate on what's ahead of me - as already said above, it's not feasible or particularly safe to turn round every time you turn!
snow report
Well, I think the name of the video should be changed, but the thread is mostly useful, if only to get the issues out there.

thecramps wrote:
I think it maybe comes from being a biker. ...
Possibly. I cycle a lot, and I've only been run over from behind once, but I saw him coming so landed on his bonnet before successful litigation.

peter_h wrote:
What is the situation where one slope user comes up from behind you, gets in front of you, and slows down so you go into him?
You were upslope at the moment of impact so you are at fault - is that correct?
I don't suppose anyone expects it to be possible to define "rules" for every occasion.

The basic idea is that you're supposed to be in control and riding at a safe speed.

Victims can't reasonably expect other slope users not to crash, to be able to stop in control quickly, or even to be competent.

However a victim could probably litigate should they be crashed into (for example) by someone riding at race speeds
which aren't safe on a public piste. Many people boast about precisely that on this site; should they ever hurt anyone,
disclosing their recklessness here may prove to be expensive (even if they can't use their own GPS systems ).
wink
snow report
There are rules and then there is common sense. The 2 do not always lead to the same decision. Blindly following rules may leave you technically in the right, but physically a train wreck, eg... there are slopes in the Arlberg (eg return from the Valfagehrbahn or exit from Zürser Tali) where is it common practice to tuck to build up enough speed to carry you over the flat. Doing blind turns across those slopes, and relying on the rule that the uphill skier/rider will give way, is unlikely to have a happy ending.
ski holidays
Yes, have to agree with other posters. Just watched the other ski video from OP and the skiing technique would suggest a skier of little experience from the technique.
Looking at the original video it's clear the boarder is just pootling about, traversing etc and needs a wide berth. Any skier of experience would simply steer wide.

I guess reading other slope users is something you gain from experience.
To suggest the boarder is an idiot is quite wrong. If people are going to take to the mountains where there are other people then you have to constantly read the terrain and what's happening in front of you.

You will always get collisions on busy slopes. Skiers and boarders are human. This was wide, flat and open, lots of space for everyone to have fun. I agree with somebody's comments about the OP improving their skiing. I think some lessons on edging and carving rather than skidding would help with their control, give then far more scope to turn acutely and respond better to whats happening around them. If you're going to ski quicker than a those in front of you, which quite often happens on nursery slopes, you really need to be able to read what's going on and have the ability to turn quickly and avoid the unexpected. That said, in this case, just not skiing near the boarder to start with would have been the obvious and sensible thing to do.
ski holidays
"Surely you can't realistically expect people to look behind them before turning - would you really do this yourself? "

I would not look behind if I am moving forward at any significant speed but I would not make sudden directional changes, left or right, across the slope, because it is pretty obvious somebody will hit me. Most skiers on the blue runs are not supermen (like some of the 4-figure and 5-figure post count posters here clearly are) and if I do something sudden enough, one of them will not be able to avoid me.

According to the above rules, *they* will be in the wrong, but I am now in hospital.

That snowboarder did just that, without looking. The video clearly shows he didn't check. Obviously, nothing happened, because I was quite some way back.

So why do it? It's dumb to risk oneself and others, just because some rule says you are entitled to do it. Like I wrote earlier, you are 100% entitled to lock all four wheels in the fast lane of the M25.

That run is at the top end of the blue scale. The next one there is a bit quicker and is a red. May not be obvious from that video but people go quite quick down there, and I won't bother posting others because somebody will make some crude comment about wasting x minutes of his life.

The stuff about me being a beginner is irrelevant. I can carve the skis on edge well enough - on the parts which are reasonably gentle. I was skiing around average relative to the others on those slopes. You get this stuff in every ski forum... anybody who is not a great skier is a waste of space and must get more and more instruction. Most skiers on forums refuse to believe there are people who just enjoy skiing at a particular level.

I've been on forums since their earliest days, early 1990s, and have seen this chimpanzee community "beat him up while others are" behaviour on a lot of them. It comes down to the mod policy. I run a forum too (technology area) so have to deal with this daily. Snowheads doesn't have mods who particularly care about personal attacks, which is good for site click counts and nothing else. What you get in the end is a few dozen regulars who enjoy the entertainment and end up dominating the forum, while everybody else has buggered off.
ski holidays
@peter_h, regardless of any personal comments...do you accept any of the many comments that you were too close and should have given a wider berth?

I am honestly just a recreational skier. I do look behind me before changing my line but i spend 99% of time looking ahead and to the sides. If I need to pass someone I do so with caution and with the possibility they might do something unexpected...do you not do the same? If not why not? Because you don't think you should? Because you can't? These are serious questions not Willy waving
snow report
"Most skiers on the blue runs are not supermen (like some of the 4-figure and 5-figure post count posters here clearly are) and if I do something sudden enough, one of them will not be able to avoid"....er yes they will if they are alert and skiing in control
snow conditions
"Most skiers on forums refuse to believe there are people who just enjoy skiing at a particular level. "

If you read enough on here you will find loads that people should be allowed to find their level and stick at it...usually competent but nervous skiers who just like blue runs. The key word here is competent.

You are happy to stay at the level you are at...but you not competent.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've been on forums since their earliest days, early 1990s, and have seen this chimpanzee community "beat him up while others are" behaviour on a lot of them.

Whilst I've seen that on other forums I've not seen it on snowheads, which has hundreds of regular posters (at least). How much of the site do you read aside from your own threads? Most topics attract a whole range of view points and debate. This thread is highly unusual, in that as far as I can see so far, literally everyone has said "it's you".

The problem is not advanced skiers telling you need to ski better. No one would care if you were a beginner skier skiing slowly and in control and not expecting everyone else to get out of your way. The problem is that you want to ski in a very specific way, i.e. is to point your skis down hill and not turn very much, on very specific (nearly flat) slopes, so you do not build up an unmanageable amount of speed using this "techinique", and without the need to avoid anyone else who has the temerity to be using the slope at the same time as you. This is 100% your problem.
snow report
@peter_h, If you already thought that, why did you bother to post here, especially with a video where the person you criticise clearly did nothing wrong?

Most skiers sensibly give a wide berth to others, especially on wide gentle blues. Being a beginner is irrelevent. As you claim to be competent. why did you ski so close? or were you paying more attention to the camera than to where you were going?

People do not come here to "beat people up". However, if someone invites comments, they will say it as they see it!

And far from a few dozen regulars, how many other ski forums regularly have 100+ participants on a bash?

Ps. It was the friendly banter on this forum that encouraged vast numbers of people, including myself to sign up and be an active participant.
snow conditions
"do you accept any of the many comments that you were too close and should have given a wider berth?"

I probably need to give any snowboarder at least 10m laterally.

"yes they will if they are alert and skiing in control"

Wishful thinking; too late if you are in hospital.
snow conditions
@peter_h, i give up...you don't get it and don't want to. I have no time or respect for you or your attitude. Im out
latest report
Absolutely no way that the snowboarder in that first video was doing anything wrong. No way at all.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ultimately the bottom line is that skiing is becoming more dangerous overall compared to say 10-20 years ago as you get a combination of straight liners, snow ploughers, speed merchants who like carving across the slopes faster than their ability to stop due to easier to turns skis, snowboarders etc. In the 90s it was a lot more simple. You had beginners moving more slowly across the slope, faster skiers occupying a narrower portion of the run and occasional snowboarders so it was much easier to predict turn trajectories. And you had slower lifts so less people on the runs.

The only way I can stay safe nowadays overtaking is giving people a massive amount of leeway, preparing to alter turn path, emergency stop etc at a moments notice. 10 m is not unreasonable if the turn trajectory is at risk of intercepting!
snow report
I have been knocked clean out of my skis, while standing at the edge of the piste, slightly behind the Piste marker (waiting for a timid Intermediate); I have been taken out while riding up a drag lift and I have been hit from behind, while making consistent short turns down the side of a piste.....and the most bizarre occasion happened at L2A at the terrain park, when skiing the line of giant "camel bumps". I waited for a reasonable length of time to make sure they were clear....then set off, and as i came over the third one (in mid air), I realised that there was a snowboarder lying in the hollow, sunning himself - and I landed on him. Unbelievably, neither of us were hurt and he was very apologetic.....and said he was taking just a break and thought nobody was about, so had been there for a good 10 mins.

What I see in your video is not something that I would be concerned about.
snow report
@peter_h, Apart from the fact your "NOT entitled to lock all four wheels" in the fast lane of any motorway (lane hogging is now an offence), you are the only person out of many who agrees with you. By ignoring what has been suggested you are ignoring many years of experience. Your persistent arrogance is why your getting a progressively harder time. You clearly ski with an aggressive attitude which does not correspond to your limited skiing ability. Am i a great skier? Er, no. But I am a lot better than you. And I am a lot more experienced, I am better at anticipating, i am more tolerant and don't ski around seemingly trying to create situations by deliberately and aggressively skiing close to nervous beginners and small children.
Pretty much every regular on Snowheads regularly offers help, advice, answering questions on loads of things involved in winter sports and many other things besides. It is a great and open resource where we can pick each other's brains, and we do. You asked a question, you didn't like the answer. Whatever, but if you can't take it, don't dish it out
(You started out calling the snowboarder a dickhead)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 27-01-19 21:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I'm not a.troller and try.amd be constructive on here. I do post a lot, bit try to be positive about the sport and people Peter

However your use of the words idiot.and dickhead suggest maybe mindset might not.be the best when skiing with others.

The video clearly shows somebody just enjoying the slope and doing nothing dangerous. To suggest they are an idiot is a bit more a reflection on your attitutide o. The hill than theirs. Sorry to have to say this.

You might find it easier if you hired a whole hill for.yourself. there are people who behave like idiots in the hills, we've all seen them but this boarder really did nothing wrong. If you think they did you need some training on hill awareness.

I jome about boarders but, on a serious note, they need a wider berth because they have a blindside when they turn.
ski holidays
This is an odd thread!
ski holidays
Time to drag this one out again

http://youtube.com/v/RoXk9qY1fWU

And whether I as the uphill skier was wrong rolling eyes

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 27-01-19 21:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@peter_h, can you clarify about what you want our feedback? I am lost here.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, I must say, in 45 years, I have never been hit by someone skiing back uphill towards me.
ski holidays
I think people on this forum are generally lovely, it makes a nice change from many others! I’ve appreciated the views of some 4-figure folk.

Surely skiing is like driving, you watch for potential hazards ahead, that might never happen, and adjust accordingly. Unless going in a straight line surely everyone is zig zagging across the hill so you know if they’re heading left, they’ll be heading right very shortly?

I watched the video and couldn’t see what the guy in front could have done differently either I’m afraid
latest report
peter_h wrote:
So, to summarise, and ignoring the personal attacks which are typical on snowheads, is the following correct:

(1) a slope user who is STATIONARY should look uphill before moving

(2) a slope user who is MOVING (no matter how slowly) does not have to look uphill before moving

What is the situation where one slope user comes up from behind you, gets in front of you, and slows down so you go into him? You were upslope at the moment of impact so you are at fault - is that correct?

There are always exceptions to every rule, but if someone overtakes then slams on the brakes then it’s probably still your fault rather than his. It’s a little hard to imagine this situation happening in real life. It just doesn’t pan out that way.

For a skier to look uphill before turning is not that easy if you are close to the fall line. It’s a good idea to look uphill before turning if you can and feel there is a risk, but it’s not your direct responsibility.

Much as I dislike boarders I can’t see that they did anything remotely wrong.
snow report
The uphill skier is responsible to avoid colliding with the downhill skier (or pedestrian) - even if the downhill skier is not only manifestly unpredictable, but is secretly contriving to put themselves in the path of the uphill skier.

The only exception is when a downhill skier suddenly lands in front of the uphill skier, having launched themselves into the path of the uphill skier by jumping from the side of the piste (or from a helicopter).

While a stationary skier at the side of a piste should look up-piste before setting off, the uphill skier STILL has a responsibility to avoid them - even if that joining skier doesn't first look up. Similarly, when pistes merge or cross, despite the fact that skiers should take care to avoid skiing in front of a skier on a merging/crossing piste, the uphill skier is still obliged to expect and take responsibility for avoiding inconsiderate skiers.

In other words, if the uphill skier had any hope in hell of avoiding the downhill skier (which includes predictive avoidance measures), they are culpable if any collision occurs. Thus, given one cannot predict a skier landing in front (from a jump), those are the only skiers one can collide with without culpability (unless there is sufficient time/distance to take evasive measures).

In the case of the original poster's video, the (downhill) snowboarder may be slightly inconsiderate, but the (uphill) skier remains responsible for avoiding them.
ski holidays
@peter_h, the boarder was clearly going to turn as he'd reached the edge of the piste. Unless you expected him to stop, look left, look right, look left again and make a single traverse before repeating for another traverse?

Stop digging.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy