Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Weather in Niederau, Wildschönau, Ski Juwel

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the information.

I'm still boked in for my double length Niederau trip next February. Not entirely sure what is mean by 3G proof, but will find out by then. Happily sitting at my desk in Portugal right now, having successfully produced the correct documentation to be allowed here from the UK. If I'm not allowed back again I don't mind. Very Happy Also not sure what a FFP2 face mask is, but plenty of time to find that out too.

Started to get excited a couple of weeks ago when I saw a Facebook post saying only 14 weeks to the season opening. snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3G means Geimpft ( vaccinated ), Genesen ( recovered ) or Getestet ( tested ). FFP2 masks are close fitting masks that are more like a disposable dust mask that you see tradesmen wearing, they are also known as N95 masks. They are supposed to give the wearer some protection from others unlike surgical or cloth masks that protect other people.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very cold at night on the mountain, the snow is coming soon yay Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. I fit the first and third ‘G’ then.

So I will need to buy the specific face masks nearer the time. I had been hoping it meant the paper disposable ones, so have been gradually collecting them and saving them ready for skiing. If you turn up to give blood wearing a cloth one they give you a paper one from the NHS, etc. I would have given the blood anyway, I wasn’t just doing it to get a free mask. Last year it was one of very few ways of being allowed to leave your house and go somewhere other than for a 1 hour walk once a day. I was actually allowed a jolly into the city centre while there was plenty of space to park the car with that as my excuse. Now things have got busy again I have switched to a blood bank at Parc Y Scarlets with a trip to Llanelli instead.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you need to buy them don't pay a fortune to stock up on them. They are only 59c in the supermarkets here.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris_n wrote:
Not weather related but Austrian government plans for winter have been anounced today. Looking very hopeful for an actual winter season. Starting to get excited now!

Open in Chrome to translate.
https://www.tt.com/artikel/30801438/gut-zu-wissen-so-sehen-die-neuen-regeln-fuer-die-wintersaison-aus

That makes for encouraging reading; our month-long trip has been put back to January 2023 but we have a week booked in the Alpbachtal from January 5. Increasingly confident this will happen now!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow machines being transported on to the Markbachjoch today. Weather much cooler the next few days as Autumn sets in.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chris_n, that’s good. I have no idea how much they would cost at home. The paper ones are much cheaper in Portugal than on the UK. Only about 10% of the UK price. So I expect the ones I need for skiing are expensive in the UK
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Chris_n,
Hard to believe winter is coming so fast to parts of Europe when you are sitting on a Portuguese beach on temperatures up to 31C. I have heard it is very cold at home, so I will be back down to earth with a bang in 2 week’s time. Then I can really look forward to coming skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm looking to book a trip for my family, it'll be my two daughters (14 and Cool first skiing trip and first winter holiday. I was recommended Niederau and this thread has given me hope that conditions are pretty good between Christmas and New Year.

Does Niederau usually have good ski conditions around New Year and is it a great place to learn?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@symondsg, Niederau like any low alpine resort can have varying conditions at the start of the season. Having said that in common with most low resorts the skiing is on meadows so it does not take much snow to provide good cover. We have a lot of snowmaking which gives very consistent snow as long as we have some cold temperatures to make it which we usually do from mid November.
As far as being a great place to learn I couldn't possibly comment as I am part of the infrastructure that does that (as long as you are in the red ski school) for adults at least. 14 years old is plenty old enough to join the adult groups. We have a mix of local Austrian and normally a few experienced English and Dutch instructors but I don't think any of the other English will be able to work this season thanks to Brexit (we live in Niederau so can work here).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Chris_n, thank you for the information. Everything I hear about Niederau is so positive and it looks amazing. It's the low altitude that worries me as I really want to girls to have a great first time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@symondsg, on the one occasion we had poor snow in the first week of the season in the 8 years I have worked here we took beginners to Auffach which is further down the valley and higher. We were a little sceptical at first but it was fine if a little more challenging than usual, no one died. Everyone bar one who had less than full weeks booked extended to the full week. All that extended were skiing easy red runs at the end of the week.
Anywhere higher is going to cost a lot more and is probably less focused on the early stages of skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First snow of the season on the mountains this morning snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chris_n, That's awesome as I have now booked the trip and will be coming to Niederau with the family. Fingers crossed for a cold snowy, bug free winter. Very Happy
latest report
@symondsg, here's hoping. Helicopter out this morning delivering snow cannons to the inaccessible parts of the pistes. Preparations well under way, all we need now is for it to cool down so we can start snow making.
ski holidays
It was exciting to see the alpine ski season has started, and had an lovely Sunday afternoon watching the men's giant slalom from Solden.

Managed to get a box of 50 FFP2 face masks from Amazon for £8.99 last week. That should be more than enough for 2 weeks in Niederau next February. Feels good to be making plans. snowHead
snow conditions
@J Rhiannon, you can make a profit selling the excess to peolpe who don't have one for the plane wink
snow report
@Chris_n, glorious warm afternoon here, can almost see Niederau Very Happy Hopefully some snow next week.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, Glorious Autumn sunshine here too at the moment. As you say temperatures are due to drop next week so snow dances can commence!
ski holidays
Lovely crisp morning with blue skies over here in Kirchberg. Wont be long before the snowmaking can start.
snow conditions
Woke up to a covering of snow today, sooooo excited for the winter season. Chair lifts and gondolas have been tested , snow cannons in place and the piste machine is parked up ready.
Very Happy
snow conditions
Woohoo snowHead Time for the dancing boots then.
snow report
Cleared 20cm of snow off terrace yesterday morning, another 10cm yesterday afternoon and have another 20cm to look forward to this morning snowHead It has barely stopped snowing for about 4 days now, temperature in village is about -5 and snow making is also in full flow. Piste machines were out for a first pass over the village slopes yesterday and the Bergbahn guys are out prepped the lifts in the valley. All we need now is for the lockdown to be lifted and the hysteria around Omicron to calm down!
snow report
Saw the photos from the Snow Crew on Facebook this morning. Looking good for a great season assuming it is allowed to go ahead.

I was pretty close on the 270 day limit in relation to my 2nd jab running out of time in February, but luckily I now have my booster set up for this Friday - giving me another 270 days from there. I think I only had 3-4 days' leeway in relation to jab 2, which could have been tricky if there were to be any delays at the end of the ski trip. There's still a lot to keep checking up on whenever we try to travel to other countries, but hopefully things will ease off again soon.

I have new goggles to try out. snowHead Cool
snow report
Conditions look great, hopefully they will be as good in Feb and that we can get there. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Been out in the sunshine clearing snow all morning (again) just came in and the press are saying lockdown ends on Sunday, both the health minister and Chancellor have said so but needs to be confirmed at a meeting tomorrow. Ski Juwel opens tomorrow snowHead
latest report
That is great Chris, enjoy.

Do you happen to know if the pharmacy in Niederau carry out PCR or Lateral flow tests?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@peter2512, yes they do both. Antigen (lateral flow) are €25, not sure what PCR costs but I believe it is between €30 and €40. I would imagine your travel company would have tests available too.
ski holidays
Great news. It did say from the start (in the government website) that they were aiming at 13th December at the latest, but that was before the other neighbouring countries started adding restrictions too and all around the world travel became a lot more restricted generally.

Had my booster jab on Friday, so I am as ready as possible. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hopefully everything will open up again. I really hope everyone in Niederau gets a ski season this year. We have moved our trip to the beginning of March, so hopefully it will be ok by then. My friend who I leave all my ski kit with keeps sending me photos from his house, which looks straight up the Tennladen. I’m not sure if these pictures are cheering me up.
latest report
Opening day today at Auffach and Alpbach, not many pistes open yet but others were being prepared ready for tourists being allowed next week. It was very cold this morning and initially the light was quite poor but it did warm up and brighten up a little, snow was in excellent condition.
latest report
We have just noticed a difference in the list of vaccines accepted for entry into Austria and the list accepted for entry into restaurants and ski lifts etc. In particular the Covishield vaccine is accepted for travel into Austria, but not for entry into restaurants etc under the 2-G rule once you are there. Is there a way to find out if this means that people in the UK who had a jab from one of the Astra Zeneca batches manufactured in India will have problem once they are there? Looking at the vaccine certificate the only way to tell is by the batch number. The certificate says manufacturer Astra Zeneca and product Vaxzevria.
snow conditions
@J Rhiannon, this could be a problem if anyone was to look that closely but probably isn't an issue with a booster anyway. Is this a problem for you or someone else? If you email me the certificate from the latest dose I can check it with the official app for you.
ski holidays
@Chris_n, thanks Chris.

Both Alistair and I had our first jabs from the batches made in India. My booster was Moderna and his was Pfizer.

I’ll get an updated version of my certificate and send it over to you.
ski holidays
@Chris_n, we're due to fly out on the 27th, what are the conditions in Niederau like at the moment?
snow report
@symondsg, snow is very good, not all slopes are open yet due to very low numbers of people in resort but as far as I know they are opening this weekend. Auffach and Alpbach scheduled to open the rest of their runs this weekend too.There are very few places open for lunch in the village due to Apres ski bars not being allowed to open and again very few in resort which isn't unusual when Christmas falls on a weekend. The restaurants on the mountain are open fully next week.
Are you travelling independently? I ask as I have seen reports that Crystal have cancelled all holidays on 27th (unless you are coming from Ireland, maybe they go ahead) due to late changes in entry rules which require quarantine for any adults without boosters, children have the same regulations as previously.
latest report
@Chris_n, we are a package through Crystal, however, my wife and I got our Booster last weekend so it'll be over the 14 days. Our youngest two are under 12 and the 14 year old is having a PCR test done as she recovered from COVID in October. I think we have all the rules covered.
ski holidays
Quote:

@Chris_n, we are a package through Crystal, however, my wife and I got our Booster last weekend so it'll be over the 14 days. Our youngest two are under 12 and the 14 year old is having a PCR test done as she recovered from COVID in October. I think we have all the rules covered.

If it’s a package with Crystal on 27 December you might want to check your emails.
ski holidays
@stevios, it's through Co-op through Crystal. I've been assured that it's going ahead so fingers crossed. Eh oh!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy