Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to ski resorts - new French Environmental Zone Vignettes

Poster: A snowHead
IMPORTANT UPDATE: All of Savoie and Haute Savoie are now ZPAs (weather related).

https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html (edit: don't buy from this site, use https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/ )

My crit-air sticker only took 4 days to arrive in early December.

Handy Green Zones in Europe app: https://www.green-zones.eu/en/green-zones-app/info-the-green-zones-app.html

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 20-12-17 13:53; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. It seems that a ZPA can now be declared with 24 hours notice. How does one get hold of a sticker at short notice? Are they sold at péage stations? I leave tomorrow to drive to the Savoie (through the Haute Savoie).....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I received an email within 48 hours of applying (at 0330 on a Sunday morning!) with an attached pdf file which stated my vehicles emission level and featured a QR code which is my certification number (shown on actual sticker).

You would get this before reaching the area if you can print it off, there was also a blank level 3 badge facsimilie on the pdf.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 20-12-17 12:56; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w,

Just had a look at the website and I think the only route is by mail.
We don't leave until 26th but still see minimal chance of it arriving on time. I'm going to apply and keep copy of screenshots with us just in case we get stopped - might help.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
crossed with @BoardieK's helpful post
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @BoardieK, will give it a go. There will be many thousands of British tourists arriving in the Savoie without the pleasure of having read Snowheads.......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just started reading into it. My ears pricked up at the mention of "old-timers" amongst the categories exempt from the rules. But they mean vehicles, not drivers. My 3 year old Zafira diesel won't quality. Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

There will be many thousands of British tourists arriving in the Savoie without the pleasure of having read Snowheads.......

Indeed - I have no issue with this type of scheme, but to be able to introduce it at a moments notice when there are likely to be unaware seems odd. I hope/assume there will be notifications on the motorways informing people of the requirement?

Will make a note to check before we leave, but if there is nothing in place on the Thursday and it is then introduced Friday evening I'm kind of screwed?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guess you need the certificate if there is any likelihood you will be driving through any of the (steadily growing number) of these zones in France. The scheme has been in place for a long time and there are perfickly good explanations in English. It's just that we haven't been paying attention. Embarassed And I guess ignorance of the law is no excuse! I am part way through the application online and have put my French address for delivery. We'll see.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BoardieK, good catch! had heard nothing at all about that!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would avoid the site https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html on @BoardieK, post.
It's a complete rip-off. They charge EUR 26.95 for what you can obtain from the official site for EUR 3.70 plus postage

Get them from the Official site https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/ for the correct price.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@WindOfChange, well spotted. Have amended my first post.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@WindOfChange, well done!! I actually did an application through that, complete with scanned picture of my registration document, only to have the thing go into some endless euro-loop when I clicked to continue. Phew. Will start again on the official site.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@WindOfChange, thanks. I’ve hopefully just cancelled my order. Apparently 14 days to do so, although... exclusion for “custom” materials but I can’t believe they’ve processed already.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, can't disagree but still seems a little hit and miss - certainly at €3.70 I'll just get one to be on safe side.

Although I do think we should introduce a scheme at Dover to change them foreigners a car colour tax, with the colour changing daily

Toofy Grin
latest report
What faff for those of us not super computer-literate. My scan of my reg document was too big and using Adobe Photoshop to save it with lower quality left it still too big. Has to be under 400kb. So downloaded winzip. OMG. Could do without this the day before I leave - I should be cleaning my kitchen.....
snow report
@pam w,
you can send two attachments. I scanned p1 & p2 in one attachment and p3 & p4 in a second. I cannot imagine that they need anything other than p2, but I didn’t risk that!

Save as pdf and reduce quality to maybe 70% should work.

DJ
snow conditions
Am re-scanning at lower resolution. OMG. Shocked
ski holidays
... or if you are stuck I can do it for you. You will need to pm me your email address.
DJ
latest report
The Green-Zones app is also a product of Crit-Air ...
ski holidays
@under a new name, as App is free have down loaded and it seems useful for giving notes on whether ban is in force or not
latest report
@DJ, that's very kind. But I've now done it, re-scanning was easiest. I have printed a receipt for the payment so can wave that at somebody if necessary. And, what's more, I have taken the reg document out of the scanner and put it back in the folder with my driving licence and insurance documents etc to take with me tomorrow. Better get that lot back into the car before I forget!
snow report
@Boris, yeah, but they've just put me right off all their works.
ski holidays
Just to stop any unnecessary panic, the Grenoble scheme only applies Full-Time to goods vehicles.
It will be enforced under "Emergency" conditions for all vehicles after 7 consecutive "bad air days".
So if you are passing thru in the next couple of days - no worries.

Lyon has a permanent ban on goods vehicles ( exceptions apply ), but the application of the rules to cars applies after 3-5 consecutive "bad air days", after which the rules seem a bit like those in Mornington Crescent, but I am sure that the "Rushton Reverse" could be used in these circumstances.
If you are just sticking to the Autoroute though, don't worry it is exempt in the Lyon Zone.

There's a bunch of stuff here: http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/
snow report
Quote:

If you are just sticking to the Autoroute though, don't worry it is exempt in the Lyon Zone.

Although seems to imply not for the Chambery/Savoie area?
snow conditions
Going out Fri/Sat and cba.
snow report
[quote="Boris"]
Quote:

Although seems to imply not for the Chambery/Savoie area?

... there be dragons.
latest report
driving out in feb, just done mine on the official website, its amazing how these (near enough scam) websites are allowed to exist, where the first entry on a web search will throw these up when official ones cost nothing or next to nothing (EHIC etc.)

took 15mins and cost just short of 5 euros. probably will not need it, but saves any aggro in case things change nearer the time!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Presumably Hire cars (from France) come with them ?
latest report
Scroll and zoom map:
https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/de/map/frankreichalle_147000?scaleControl=false&miniMap=false&scrollWheelZoom=true&zoomControl=true&allowEdit=false&moreControl=false&searchControl=null&tilelayersControl=null&embedControl=null&onLoadPanel=undefined&captionBar=false#6/49.110/3.472

As I understand it:

Dark green areas are ZCR which have permanent, time-defined bans.

Light green areas are ZPA which have weather-defined bans.
snow conditions
I bought them for 2 cars 1.5 hours ago ( 8 Euros all in )
I just got 2 electronic versions by email, which I can print out and use while waiting for the real ones, so it can be pretty last minute.
Though I am only going a few kms to Morzine and PLJ over the next few days, so should be fine Smile

( 3rd car is 30 year old Landy registered as a "Vehicle de Collection" so no point getting one, as in some zones it as exempt, whilst in others completely forbidden - but to quote from Dr Emmett Brown "Where we're going ...")
latest report
I must say I'm impressed at you guys knuckling down to the French environmental legislation so assiduously, if only the locals had your attitude there might be a bit less air pollution.
latest report
@davidof, that why Brexit innit. Too much obeying of rules.

I could just see me heading to Cham to fix a crisis, getting stopped, losing time and being fined for having Swiss plates.
snow conditions
Apparently Aix en Provence is also included, I was asked about it in a supermarket there a few weeks ago, I have one for Grenoble anyway. My girlfriend lives just outside Aix and regularly drives past Grenoble. Doesn't have one, hadn't heard of it and has no intention of getting one Razz Us Brits toe the line too much, who still has breathalysers etc Blush
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
Presumably Hire cars (from France) come with them ?

The one I have right now doesn't and there was no mention of it!
No breathalysers in the car either - haven't looked for a yellow bib...
or spare light bulbs or a triangle
ski holidays
It would be good if the vignettes were valid for the whole EU, the websites suggest that you need one for each country.
snow report
The hi-viz waistcoats are a good idea, especially if you are French and drive a shitty Citroen or Renault which are prone to frequent breakdowns.
snow conditions
BoardieK wrote:
IMPORTANT UPDATE: All of Savoie and Haute Savoie are now ZPAs (weather related).

I was looking at the critair site and its says

"However, in case of an air pollution peak, the city or municipality within the department, in which the weather-dependent zone comes into force, has to be defined first. This requires a separate individual order from the prefect or the local police. As a result, there can only be locally changing traffic restrictions within the ZPA Haute-Savoie, to which the car owners must adapt." To me that says it will not be a blanket implementation but individual towns that will impose the zone, so you could avoid the area if needed. Can any locals confirm ?
snow conditions
I suspect that the Savoies have defined themselves in blanket terms so a decision can be made in Chambery or Annecy for the whole. High pressure weather with temperature inversion is when restrictions are likely, I guess. Restrictions are not likely to affect many of us - but not having a vignette could be nit-picked, presumably. No more likely than not having spare bulbs or specs, probably. I'm just whiling away the time speculating because I'm at Eurotunnel Folkestone where there are delays....
ski holidays
In the 13 or so years we have lived here, weather related traffic management decrees have some from the Prefect or Sub-Prefect ( Haute Savoie - 74). Rather than the Mairie. These are normally :
- Blanket cancellation of Public Transport
- Temporary Closure of roads / passes
- implementation of -20KMH speed limits on main roads.

The enforcement has fallen to local Police and Gendarmes, so there is seldom any consistency in enforcement or application.
I have been stopped several time by the authorities ( both whilst working as a driver and as a civilian), and they really do not give a hoot about spare bulbs, hi-viz coats, alcohol breath testers, warning triangle, the state of your spare tyre, size of number plate, noise level of exhaust, degree of tint on visor etc.. They have always just wanted paperwork.

I have seen local police issuing fines to parked cars who have not had the insurance vignette displayed correctly, and at the roundabout between Ardent and Morzine, checking (cars with drivers) for the Controle Technique sticker as well as the insurance.

As it's paperwork, and it can be checked, then assume that that they will, but for the sake of something that costs less than a pint it seems like a no brainer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy