Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to ski resorts - new French Environmental Zone Vignettes

Poster: A snowHead
@Claude B, Ok, my initial reading of this thread (and glance at website) seemed to imply it was only required on the days when the local officials had deemed pollution to be high. But accept I may be wrong, hence it seemed a bit hit and miss.

To be clear I have no issue with this type of scheme and always aim to comply with the rules of countries I am driving in - just wish the UK applied our rules to those driving here!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stefoy4me wrote:
when did the Tarentaise get added ?...though I d only need one if went thru Lyon but as A432 skirts it thought it was outside the zone ?

Since November 2017. Sorry, it's not just the Tarentaise but the whole of Savoie from Chambery right across. So would cover the Maurienne too.

https://www.crit-air.fr/nc/fr/informations-sur-la-vignette-critair/zones-environnementales-en-france/savoiechambery-zone-zpa.html
EDIT - That link is for info, but note that it is the site that charges substantially more than the official French gov't site for the vignette -the official site is: https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

Haute Savoie is also now a zone, since last Oct.

So pretty much every ski resort in the northern French Alps....

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 9-01-18 11:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dashed wrote:
Layne wrote:
Why is everyone bothering with this sh-it?

Really? You need this explaining?

No sticker = fine or no entry to the zone (if you get stopped). It only costs a fiver so why wouldn’t you?

Or are you one of those arrogant folk who believes that the laws of the country they are visiting don’t apply to them?

Incidentally, with air quality as bad as it was in some areas last year during prolonged high pressure, this is surely a good thing.

From what I can make out it's a farce, the same as the breathalyser was/is. The day I hear of someone getting stopped/fined I will take action.

In general I am a law abiding citizen. Occasionally the law's an ass.

Just on the broader point: when I drove out of resort on 30th Dec there was a 30 mile traffic jam going into the Alps. You want to talk about air quality let's talk about how to prevent that. Alternatively let's talk about what use/incentive there is to change my diesel car having brought it before evidence came out of their toxicity. The long term plan to phase out diesels and increase use of EV's is clearly a good one. This sticker scheme just seems to be a fart in the wind. What actual effect as it had so far?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It raises an interesting point. Such schemes are admirable in objective but the Savoie and Haute Savoie are heavily dependent on tourist traffic. Most toursits probably won't have stickers. Most won't/don't know about it. Most weekends during the key tourist season those main artery roads will be clogged with tourists piling into or out of resorts. Activating the scheme and stinging a load of unsuspecting toursits by either fining them or blocking them from resort by preventing them from driving, won't do anything for their tourism sector and is largely impractical to implement. On the days those roads are clogged the police have ample to do in controlling motorway exits and keeping traffic off the back roads etc, and I suspect are not going to have he time nor inclination to be checking the gadzillions of clogged vehicles for vignettes.

In reality I expect they are unlikely to pull random cars to check the crit'air vignette. More likely as time goes on, they will check for a vignette if they happen to have pulled the car for speeding, or some other infringement, and if they don't happpen to have a vignette then it's an extra thing they can fine them for.

As with others for the few quid it cost to have the breathaliser in the glovebox I have a pack thrown in there, and for the sake of the fiver I'll order a vignette to avoid the risk of potential faff.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 9-01-18 12:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grenoble in comparison would be far easier to police if they chose to. The zone starts at the motorway tolls on the roads from Lyon, Valence and Chambery. Everyone heading to Oisans resorts or smaller ones such as Chamrousse, Les 7 Laux, etc passes through it. All the city is included also. In the summer pollution around Grenoble is very noticeable, it's surrounded by mountains and it can't escape. There are very frequent speed restrictions and I believe they have restricted access to some vehicles at some stage since the scheme was introduced.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 9-01-18 12:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

breathaliser

waste of money
why pay for something if the need for such a thing is no longer enforced?
they'll be out of date soon too, probably, so re-buy? or gamble on not getting the fine that you won't get anyway?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My understanding of the breathalyser law is that although it's still on the statute books it's been publicly stated that it won't be enforced.

Someone ought to tell the AA who still try flogging them to everyone at the Tunnel terminal.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Claude B, Dover Ferry terminal were doing proper scare tactics at Christmas a year ago. Didn't seem quite so blatant this year.

ADAC were selling them for €7 when the law first came in. With an expiry date on them. Sod that!
And get your Hi-Viz from a friendly landrover etc. club for a quid, since they get them in job lots for events. Better than being screwed by profiteering ferry/tunnel shops.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stating the obvious though isn't it - Golden rule of thumb is never buy anything at a terminal, airport, departure lounge, arrivals hall, hotel or other point of departure if you can help it, you're asking to pay through the nose.

Never ceases to amaze me at airports seeing how many people rock up and buying currency at the airport desks when a bit of pre-planning would've saved probably 15% in improved rates/reduced commission.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gazzza wrote:
Stating the obvious though isn't it - Golden rule of thumb is never buy anything at a terminal, airport, departure lounge, arrivals hall, hotel or other point of departure if you can help it, you're asking to pay through the nose.

Never ceases to amaze me at airports seeing how many people rock up and buying currency at the airport desks when a bit of pre-planning would've saved probably 15% in improved rates/reduced commission.

Yep, it's the military 6P's innit? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gazzza wrote:

I always get my currency at the airport but after ordering online where you get normal rates rather than the crappy airport ones
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My 2011 BMW 520D has come up as a 2. That seemed low to me as I thought that all cars registered after January 2011 were Euro 5.

However, if I play about with the simulator on the French Government website https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/simulation I think that the French Govt ratings are different: A Euro 5 or 6 petrol is a 1, and a Euro 5 or 6 diesel is a 2.

Any comments?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Matt1959, I think you're right. It is confusing but the French numbers aren't the same as the Euro numbers. My car (2011 E350 diesel) is also Euro 5 but French 2.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Matt1959, you're quite right. The scale is usefully inverted. Doh rolling eyes Puzzled I nearly panicked at the thought that our 2010 registered car (EU4) might be banned from the road. Then found out it is a 2 as well.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair wrote:
@Matt1959, I think you're right. It is confusing but the French numbers aren't the same as the Euro numbers. My car (2011 E350 diesel) is also Euro 5 but French 2.

Yes my 2015 euro 6 diesel car is still coming out as a 2 also, so i assume only elec or ultra efficient hybrids get a 1
latest report
On the subject of critair and hire cars. My friend has been in touch with AVIS via twitter and got the following response:

For 'Critair' none of our vehicles are fitted with this sticker from any location. As hire cars have an exemption confirmation pending. As stated before, if you receive a fine, we will pay it for you. Thanks, Dan 2/2

It may be advisable to check with your chosen company for their policy on this.
snow report
@Gazza really appreciate you having put this up - I would not have realised until too late - THANK YOU
snow report
@Matt1959, Spot on.
Our cars are French registered: the 2015 Petrol one got a 1 and the 2016 Diesel was a 2.
Incidentally, I have seen these stickers on some brand new cars (maybe provided by the dealer ?), but 99% of the locals cars do not have them.
snow report
Thanks @Gazzza and others, got my printable alternative to the certificate sent in an email just under 24 hours after applying. Was a bit worried our 1999 petrol RAV4 would be banned but it gets a 3 rating. Well done snowheads, another useful thread!
ski holidays
@andy1234 interesting as I just applied online Thursday evening but haven't received a printable alternative to the certificate - 2004 Nissan X-Trail Sport.
Was not sure what to put in for the last part of the form "CO2(in g/km)[Champ V.7**]" so left it blank, hopefully that was the right thing to do.
snow report
Have you received an email response, @swarmcatcher? If not, there might be a hitch. My Zafira diesel is a 2. The susstificate can live with my car documents and will almost certainly never be needed!
ski holidays
@pam w,
Quote:

susstifticate
Fixed the spelling for you wink I'm an expert, because my dad used to issue a lot of susstifticates in his line of work.
latest report
@swarmcatcher, I got an email confirmation of my application in my inbox seconds after the payment screen for 4.2 euros. I also left all the emissions boxes blank as my V5 has no details.

I scanned the first two pages of the V5 and then pasted them into a word document and then PDF'ed it to get it under the 400kb limit.
snow conditions
I got confirmation of the request immediately and the invoice with temporary paperwork within a couple of days. Have you been charged?
snow report
andy1234 wrote:
Thanks @Gazzza and others, got my printable alternative to the certificate sent in an email just under 24 hours after applying. Was a bit worried our 1999 petrol RAV4 would be banned but it gets a 3 rating. Well done snowheads, another useful thread!

I might be missing something here, but if thy can email you a self-printable version, then what is to stop anyone just printing their own copy and not bothering with the official €x version?

I realise they they have a unique reference number and a QR code, but surely the Gendarmes won't be scanning too closely and will just waive through anyone that has a 'sticker in the window'?
snow report
I ordered mine on the 12th and my credit card payment has been charged to the account on 13th
latest report
Ours arrived here in France today, application went in online when we were in the UK just before Christmas. It was possible to track it.
So the 1 sticker is now up along with an expired Swiss vignette, National Trust and our sailing club.
latest report
@Pamski, Your 2017 Swiss vignette is valid for another 15 days.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@WindOfChange, well we managed to avoid getting one at all last year, with all friends and family driving or taking Transfers, so it is a 2016 one I think. But yes, that is always useful to remember.
latest report
received ours end of last week so took a week from order to receipt

Just praying we can get up the mountain next week after the problems they had last weekend in la plagne
snow report
Ours came within a week... hope this helps
snow report
mine came in under a week from ordering. Easy to do too with full english on their website.

The front of the letter is all in English but funnily enough the fitting instructions on the back of the page are not lol
snow conditions
yes the 'english' on the front and french on the back amused me too
I ordered on the Tuesday, status check online didn't work but I got an email on the Thursday, then it arrived in the mail on Monday
ski holidays
Ordered mine online arrived 4 days later (emailed confirmation about 4 hours later ! ) for 4 euros , don't see the big issue or debate really .
Worth getting for peace of mind if anything .
snow conditions
Hire cars from Geneva both French and Swiss don't have the sticker - perhaps they are exempt in which case what is the point.....
snow conditions
Sorry if this has been covered earlier in the thread.

Do you have to scan and attach all 4 pages of the V5?

Thanks
snow report
@jonathancarty, just the page with sections 4 (vehicle details) and 5 (registered keeper).

A greyscale scan at 100dpi works well.
ski holidays
@altis,

Great thanks
snow report
So. Half way through the season, plenty of tourist cars from all over Europe have now driven to the Alps.

Is this CritAir stuff actually a 'thing' this year? Any verified reports of road-checks, being denied entry, fines?
snow report
We normally start seeing the air quality warnings when it warms up a little, and you often get the high pollution sitting in the bowls like the Leman basin and the Annecy basin.
Here is a real time site showing the air quality across the region:
http://aqicn.org/city/france/rhonealpes/haute-savoie/annemasse/
Depending upon the zone, the Crit-Air regulations only kick in after 3-5 consecutive bad-air days, and I do not think that has happened yet this year around here.
I guess we'll see how seriously this will be enforced come March.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy