Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SkiWelt Snow Report 2016

Poster: A snowHead
oh and 3.50 for a beer instead of 8 euros
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Conditions superb today in Jochberg. Unexpected fresh snow overnight and nice and cold. Brilliant!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok convinced and looking forward, I think.
Hotel Tyrol
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is that a grosser beer or ein kline?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ein großes Bier oder ein kleines Bier?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Maersk, just ask for a beer and you'll get a large one by default!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like it!
All i want now is some fresh white stuff. Web cams show a lot of people about. Is that cos Dutch hols are still on?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spent the last 3 days in Ski Welt, now stuck at INN waiting for LGW to clean their runway...

Good snow conditions - nice and firm in the morning, softening up during the day. All the valley resort 'home-runs' are skiable (I think we did them all!) Quite busy, allegedly the dutch have all gone home but given the conditions over the weekend there were quite a few day trippers. Indeed on one run I tried to set off and just had to stop as there was so much traffic you couldn't actually ski a metre without hitting anyone. Having said that most lift queues were reasonable -

The busy runs were getting quite mogully and due to the temperature they were quite soft and hard work. Definitely days for starting on first lift and finishing prior to the end of the day - downloading as you felt like it..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Bertie
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Temperatures look like they will stay cold and snow is forecast over the next few days Laughing I'm starting to get excited Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's been snowing quite heavily most of the afternoon and still snowing now here in my corner of the Chiemgau. I'm about 30 minutes drive but only about 30 kms as the crow flies from the Ski Welt (Wilder Kaiser), so I would not be surprised if they have had a flake or six as well. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Webcams show it throwing it down...............

Austria is still too low though..

Benefit of low altitude sleeping, which is nice Blush Blush
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Village is very green...................

but so is Morzine! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Austria is still too low though..

define too low?

Or are you simply a wind-up artist looking to stir up an argument?
After following this thread, I'm inclined towards the latter. I really hope the rest of your party have a good time in Austria, but I really no longer give a toss whether you like it or not. People have tried to help you and you continue to be negative - go back to France in future you have obviously chosen the wrong country for your discerning needs

BTW the Lofoten Islands are at sea level but are a powder hounds wet dream!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for that Sue.

No wind up intended and I have appreciated EVERYTHING, EVERYONE has contributed to this conversation.
For whatever reason I have had a blank with regard to Austria for many years but have plumped for the country this year.
I have been concerned about snow conditions all over Europe this year and, especially about my potential destination.
Is it my lack of Austrian experience that expresses itself as the altitude thing? Possibly.
The Lofotens have got latitude working for them. The Caucases and Colorado have continentality, in spades. Scotland (particularly Nevis range) has huge orographic effect; if the airstreams are benevolent .
Austria should have a degree of continentality but is quite far south so has negative latitude and relative proximity to the Adriatic working against it. You are a local, so you have distinct knowledge which you can use to your advantage, as well as sneaking a few days on a regular basis throughout the season I suspect.
For reasons that are not relevant here, I now have but 7 days in the year when I can enjoy my skiing passion. If worry and concern that this short interlude may be a negative experience has manifest itself as an overbearing, worrywort on these boards then I can only apologise.
There has never been an intention to attempt to 'wind people up' or to 'stir up any argument'.
In other years, the plan has always been to go high to ensure good conditions, which usually results in staying at or above 2000 metres. This year .... not.
Many people have indeed tried (and have succeeded) to be positive and I have taken comfort from this.
I have also said that I hoped to return and report that Austria, for me, was indeed what people have suggested it would be.
ski holidays
Skiwelt is fantastic! Its probably my favorite ski area, the scenery is stunning. It is very alpine and a real pleasure to ski there.

Although this year I'm off to 3V (10th April so going high) I like to alternate France and Austria and throw in Andorra/Italy now and again.

Lower elevation resorts have a lot going for them are not to be always avoided in my opinion. Skiwelt is hard to beat for breathtaking scenery its gorgeous from every angle. It is a risk in late season and they can often have spring snow conditions at any time but in early season they only need a small amount of snow to open due to the terrain being fields and meadows so they don't have rocks to cover up. They also generally have great snowmaking.

This year hasn't been as good as previous years but I've been there when it was 15cm low slopes and 45 upper (on reports) and it was absolutely fine and that was before they had snowmaking on the resort runs and we still slided down them HAHA.

Dont be hung up on snow depths either they don't need as much to make an alpine wonderland in Austria.

Plus Austria hands down has the best Apres.
snow report
@Maersk, Its looking very white on the village webcams today Laughing
snow report
Indeed it is!

Only four more days. It is looking super.
Summer pictures of the area definitely show its scenic beauty, which can only be enhanced with a blanket of white!

Hope you have a good one @laura1182!

Now, where did I put those goggles?............................
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@Maersk,

Interested to know if you still think Austria is too low Very Happy

Great day today - powder everywhere, sun forcast to shine tomorrow - does it get any better??
ski holidays
This is all music to my ears being a complete Austriaphile and having just today booked for Soll next weekend as a complete bonus 3rd trip of the year. We are staying in Postwirt which I'm lead to believe is very nice. Never been to Soll so I'm beyond excited to give it a try.

The weather forecasts IME are largely unreliable / made up. On a recent trip to Morzine the head rep pretty much predicted every single weather change to the hour. That to me proves that local knowledge is far better than any "model"

Assuming there's enough snow, what are the chances of having 6 bluebirds starting on the 20th? (Greedy I know)
ski holidays
I am off to Hopfgarten today, for 5 days in the Skiwelt for my 2nd (and last) trip of the season. The forecast is for a few cms of snow tomorrow and sunny days to the end of the week. Very Happy

Sadly I was not able to get to any of the snowHeads bashes this season, but I hope to be back next season.

@KennyEverett, I hope the weather lasts until your holiday!
snow report
Thank you @nigelg, have a great trip and let us have some updates whilst you are in resort if possible snowHead
latest report
@nigelg, Off to hopfgarten next saturday. Have a good one!!!
ski holidays
A good week was had by all. Three days of snow one mixed and two bluebirds one of which was spent in Kitzbuhel. The snow in kitz was great, just really the lowest 100 metres of the Strief being deep, brown sugar. The Westendorf experience was positive too but you could watch the snow sublimate off the lower areas during the day but it remained sugar at lower levels rather than Cadbury's.
Parts of lower and mid Ski Welt were very soft on the cloudy days and transformed from sugar to smash in the afternoons. Upper pistes were in fine fettle as long as they were not south facing. The very cold air of the two bright days preserved conditions well.
@Laura, I am resisting..........
I was impressed with Austria, however. The 'bus experience' was a non issue despite my initial foreboding. The food was simple fayre, well cooked and presented. The folks welcoming and friendly rolling eyes and everywhere appeared spotless. The fact that mountain toilets were....toilets rather than a hole in the floor was also a pleasing experience.
The piste map is next to useless and signposting is poor.
Apres is convivial.
Pie being consumed as this is being typed.
I shall have to go earlier in the season to get more reliable conditions (or jack the country up a bit Shocked rolling eyes )
snow report
I agree with @Maersk, at least some of what he said! My first day here went really well. The snow was very poor at valley level, but we spent the whole day between the top and middle stations, so we had very good snow all day at that height, from Hopfgarten to Soll, nearly to Ellmau, to Brixen and back to the Salvenbahn to download to the valley, against the rules I know, but the best option!
It was cloudy all day, but the cloud lifted early on so we had good visibility all day.
I am taking group lessons my whole time here, so I just followed the instructor. I rapidly became disoriented, and relied on the instructor to lead our group around. However, it did not seem to matter, there were lifts and pistes as far as the eye could see in every direction, so if I had been on my own I could still have found enough to ski all day, and if I ended up in the wrong resort at the end of the day I could easily get back to where I wanted to be, by bus or a short taxi ride. There did appear to be plenty of signs.
The terrain is best for intermediates as far as I can see, after one day covering a mere 22km according to skiline out of a total of 250 on the pass. It is mostly reds and blues, so beginners might have to be careful where they go, and experts might find it a bit tame.
The one restaurant we went to, the Rigi, was great. Good food and cheap.
Hopfgarten itself is a picture postcard village, the ski hire Kurz quick and friendly, the ski school Skischule Alpin Hopfgarten the same, and no queue for the gondola!
More tomorrow!
snow report
Enjoy Nigelg
True, lots of signs but they all suggest that going in any direction will take you to the destination, and while true, the same could be said of the M25.......
Ki West in Westendorf was a highlight. Long, good condition apart from the bottom, and in places, surprisingly steep.
The sense of humour of the 'authorities' in Westendorf that sign you through the tunnel under the railway and then don't sign the (unsighted) left turn out allowing the right turn onto a tarmac pavement sans snow has to be applauded.................not.
ski holidays
Overcast today, with sunny intervals, mainly during the lunch break and after I had finished for the day. Good snow conditions in Soll and Scheffau above the midstation. Forecast is for a dusting of new snow and some sun.
snow report
@nigelg, Hows the first lift queues in Hopfgarten?and queues in general?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wern't any last week..................
latest report
@sn00boarder, @Maersk, no queues this week either. The longest I waited was on 1 lift for less than 2 minutes up the mountain, but all other lifts it has been straight on, no waiting, and the same for the gondola the last 3 mornings at about 9.
It started snowing today about 10, and stopped about 4. Since it was also below freezing all day the result was about 15cm of dry and fluffy powder snow on the bashed pistes from last night, making fantastic conditions. Combined with the poor visibility forcing the faint-hearted off the mountain, an obvious breach of rule 5, this meant that all day we found untouched snow on all pistes to ski on.
Looking forward to bluebird days tomorrow and Thursday, sunny all day and fresh snow.
A word of warning; some of the trails are quite long and flat, so be careful @sn00boarder!
snow conditions
@nigelg, great report. The webcams look dreamy this morning, look like you're in for one of those perfect days. Enjoy

3 more sleeps for me and my kids. Not sure who's more excited Very Happy
latest report
One bluebird day duly delivered, looking forward to another tomorrow!
The fresh snow from yesterday was groomed for today, the temperature stayed low so the snow conditions were excellent all day for a ski safari with the ski school from the Hopfgarten middle station to the Ellmau valley station and back. A couple of slopes bumped up, and there was some sugary snow on the low and south facing slopes, the run down to Ellmau at 820m, returning to Hopfgarten on 2a, and dropping back to the Salvenbahn middle station, but everywhere else was great, a fabulous day's skiing.
latest report
Brilliant. Sunday can't come quick enough. Travelling Saturday
latest report
Looks like another bluebird day today.
Rather worried by a clear case of insanity, when somebody in my lesson group said he is going shopping with his wife in Salzburg instead of skiing! It is called a ski holiday for a reason!
latest report
!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
Another lovely day, glorious sunshine and good snow. I was the only one in my lesson group, so I had a private lesson in the morning. My instructor took me down the 3 blacks in the area; I fell on the first, 42, and slid about 100m, but skied 2, the steepest, and 1 successfully and even elegantly, which to anyone who knows me is a testament to the excellence of the instruction this week from Skischule Alpin Hopfgarten.
It was not so cold today, so as I found I recommend for those coming next week to start in Hopfgarten but go over to Soll and Scheffau after mid-morning for the higher and north-facing slopes.
The weather is set fair until at least Tuesday, so have a great time!
latest report
@nigelg, Thanks for the updates!!!

Just thought of a question.... Are you flying back from innsbruck? If so, are you taking the train? if so, how much time are you leaving before teh flight.

Cheers!!!!
ski holidays
@sn00boarder, I am flying from Munich. The train takes about 2:45.
snow report
@nigelg, ok, thanks.

Right final question... i promise snowHead
Any recommendations for a bit of off piste and tree runs (in between trees)? Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Cant believe I've been home a week..................
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy