Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SkiWelt Snow Report 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - does anybody have a report to share? Making our first visit to there (Soll) on 23/1.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would just look at the reports re the Kitzbuheler Alps, as its geographically in the same vicinity.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@wotnowalshy, http://www.skiwelt.at/en/wow-snow-is-guaranteed-in-ellmaugoing.html

We are heading out the same day to Ellmau
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Am heading out on Saturday. Conditions look great. Let's hope so
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone going out on the 30th I'm with a party of 8 on the second flight out of Manchester
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. Seems to be slowly improving out there. It would be nice if the resort runs open - I imagine it's a right pain queuing for the gondala down at the end of day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
According to the website it is open
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Most valley runs are open
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
heading to Brixen on the 23rd, looking good
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ill be in Kirchberg from Sunday the 24th to Friday if anyone fancies a ski round the Kitzbuhel area just PM me. There will probably be a few other SH around and about.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm up for skiing with SHs in Kitzbuhel on Monday 25th. I'm busy with guests later in the week.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ellmau had 40cm overnight in the village
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
was in soll last week icy until wednesday it snowed that night and had a blue skies left on Sat and it had loads of snow falling.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For those of you heading to Ellmau - here's a link to the nursery slope webcam at the sporthotel end - ellmau.panomax.com - it looks terrific there now - I've only 62 days to wait for my trip - I hope you all have a great time Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tangerine Snow Balls wrote:
Anyone going out on the 30th I'm with a party of 8 on the second flight out of Manchester

yeah we are going on the 30th flying 4 of us from manchester on the lufthansa early morning flight staying in soll getting train from munich...
latest report
anyone update on conditions in soll looks very warm at the moment with no snow forcast... not filled with confidence for the weekend!!!
snow report
@ryan110398, in ellmau currently. Warm temps today reaching 10C up on hartkaiserbahn at 1520m. Slushy snow but still good fun. I just don't know if it can handle the warm temps for another week.
ski holidays
@Tangerine Snow Balls, @ryan110398, yep I'm also going out on 30th but staying in Kitzbuhel.

@Don87, must admit my heart sank slightly when I saw the weather forecast earlier on as yesterday it was showing snow. It can change so quickly though
snow conditions
@Don87, bet its great skiing conditions albeit slushy... it is showing that it could cool slightly and have a bit of snow friday night hopefully thats the case for when we arrive saturday...

@VolklAttivaS5, we will be travelling to kitz on maybe the monday or tuesday for the day not been there for over 20 years so i imagine its a completely different place now!
snow conditions
I skied in St Johann today. At 8:30 it was -4 degress C at the bottom and +4 at the top! During the day the temperature climbed to 10. Considering the mild conditions the snow was in reasonable condition, probably helped by high clouds stopping the direct glare of the sun. By 3pm the snow was getting a bit heavy - but I've seen much worse. However, if we have a week of these mild conditions it will be a problem.

You can see the new snow making machines alongside piste 4a above Eichenhof - also note how busy the piste was at 10:30.

After an excellent lunch at the Bassgeigeralm the sun came out briefly, so I took the same photo of the Wilder Kaiser mountains that I take every time I ski in St Johann.

ski holidays
ryan110398 wrote:
@Don87, bet its great skiing conditions albeit slushy... it is showing that it could cool slightly and have a bit of snow friday night hopefully thats the case for when we arrive saturday...

@VolklAttivaS5, we will be travelling to kitz on maybe the monday or tuesday for the day not been there for over 20 years so i imagine its a completely different place now!

Yes, snow making almost everywhere. Mostly fast lifts. You can get to Pass Thurn properly not via ski route and bus. The main cable car is a gondola so the alternative way up via chair and t-bar no longer exists. Some new pistes...

My previous trip until recently was 1990...
snow report
@ryan110398, yeah I've never been to Kitzbuhel myself so looking forward to it
The only place I've been to in Ski Welt is Going and that was 9 years ago so can barely remember
latest report
Going to Soll shortly. Is anybody "on the ground" for a piste update? Not clear how the runs to the valley are holding up in the warmer weather?
latest report
I am on Soll this week, currently sat outside the holzalm enjoying a morning weissbier!

Spring conditions is the best way to describe, pistes freezing overnight so hard first thing, softening quickly once the sun is on it.

Valley runs holding up well generally but a few brown patches in some of the more used home runs.

Off piste unfortunately not holding up well, not enough base to stick the high temps.

But it is great to be sat sunbathing with a beer in January!
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, its a great place from what i remember looking forward to a day there on this trip!

@ciderchap, very jealous sat in work i must admit! looking like the weekend is going to bring some gale force winds with it but saying snow if forcast with it if its cold enough though!

fingers crossed for some lower temps even so the snow cannons can get to work...
snow conditions
Today I led a group round the Kitzbuhel and Ski Welt ski areas - from Kitzbuhel to Going via Kirchberg, Westendorf, Brixen, Hopfgarten, Itter, Soll, Scheffau and Ellmau. I worried that the snow wouldn't last, but it was great. It was firm in the morning, but as soon as we arrived on pistes that the sun had reached it was fine, and even late in the day the north facing slopes of the Ski Welt were lovely to ski on. Stats for the day: 11,012 vertical metres, 28 lifts, 10 villages visited, 100 km (ski + lifts), first lift 8:45, last lift 15:59 - phew!
snow report
@johnbarr, How long did you stop for lunch doing that trip?
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@johnbarr, How long did you stop for lunch doing that trip?

We had a quick stop at a self service restaurant for spag bol and a quick beer - probably 20 minutes or so.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnbarr, so my pub idea of Going > Brixen > Westendorf > Pengelstein > Pass Thurm and back in a day looks like a non-starter then?
latest report
HutToHut wrote:
@johnbarr, so my pub idea of Going > Brixen > Westendorf > Pengelstein > Pass Thurm and back in a day looks like a non-starter then?

Interesting idea, and I must say I do like a challenge! Not promising I can do it, but if I'm in the right place I'll try to time Going to KiWest, and Ski Rast (Pengelstein) to Pass Thurn, and let you know what I find. Are you aiming to do that this season?
snow report
@johnbarr, don't know if I'm going at all this season yet. It's an idea that started in the pub a few years ago. We've had weeks in Westendorf and Kitz before, so sounded like a challenge after a few pints.
ski holidays
TBH I'm a hard core piste basher so not particularly fussed with off piste. I had a very interesting Spring ski in Soll in the 1980's more mud than snow!! But since then I have had 2 fantastic weeks there 2012 and 2013. 2013 was great, almost too much snow......
snow conditions
looking at the weather forcast the weekend looks like it could be floods of rain as temps not cold enough! hoping the temps drop and its all snow!!!

@johnbarr, thats a lot of mileage in one day! we skied from soll to ellmau and back took us all afternoon getting lost with the useless maps ha
snow report
When I looked at the forecast this morning it seemed to suggest snow a few days next week
snow report
The forecast shows snow turning to rain Sunday into Monday, but luckily snow down to the valley later in the week. After that cooler and snowier conditions are most likely.

http://www.bergfex.com/ellmau/wetter/prognose/#5
snow report
HutToHut wrote:

I skied from the Fleckalmbahn to the far end at Resterhohe (above Pass Thurn) today. It took 2 hours 15 minutes to get there. The route you proposed would replace the first three lifts and two pistes with Pengelstein I & II, so I guess that would save 15 minutes. As it was Saturday and the skies were blue there were a few lift queues along the way - so I reckon that 2 hours one way for that section is realistic. I'll try to do the other section of your route sometime soon.

Weather was lovely, snow was ok - scraped in places and a bit lumpy at the end of the day, but mosty good.

snow report
@johnbarr, great stuff, cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
Off to Soll on the 13th Feb, which are the recommended, reliable weather forecast sites?

Thanks

D
snow report
Hmmm...I'm not sure I'd use the words "reliable" and "weather forecast" in the same sentence, but I do watch these ones...

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Johann-in-Tirol/6day/mid
https://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/St_Johann_in_Tirol_snow.html
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://wetter.orf.at/tir/reportdetail
ski holidays
Thanks John, I have a black cat and a lucky rabbit's foot at the ready.... !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy