Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where have all the black runs gone?

Poster: A snowHead
shep wrote:
Health and Safety rules have obliged winch grooming all over the mountain. It's safer for the operator, but has led to the ban on using the pistes at night, since a cable strung across the piste at neck-height is not conducive to safe tobogganing Confused .

I've seen runs change colour when the piste-side restaurants change hands. No-one wants a restaurant on a red run!

There's a restaurant in Les Houches that is only accessible via an extremely narrow (about 50cm wide the last time I used it) and winding track through the trees. They don't seem to lack patrons, though.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a restaurant in kaprun that requires walking up and down a icy hill. It was full.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shep wrote:
pandering to the egos of the not-quite-good-enough

This really irritates me!

Why can't people ski what they like? Does everyone have to be an expert to ski black runs?

How will anyone ever get better if they don't try to ski runs which are challenging for them?

As I've said before, there are plenty of itinerary routes which are unpisted these days.

Go and do those if the 'not-quite-good-enoughs' bother you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ooops, didn't intend to irritate anyone! No problem with challenging ones-self, I seem to manage it on most blue runs! My point was it's shame if resorts make runs easier because they receive complaints that the grooming is not up-to-scratch. To be honest I don't know if this happens, maybe they unilaterally decide to "make it easier" just because they can...?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HoneyBunny wrote:
shep wrote:

Why can't people ski what they like? Does everyone have to be an expert to ski black runs?

How will anyone ever get better if they don't try to ski runs which are challenging for them?

As I've said before, there are plenty of itinerary routes which are unpisted these days.

You've kind of missed the point there I think... If you're 'not qutie good enough' to ski a real black, why would you be irritated that you have to learn more and ski better to be able to do them, rather than have them made easier so you can ski them at your current level?

No-one has said that intermediate skiers shouldn't try black runs, only that black runs should be consistent with their labelling - difficult enough that only advanced skiers feel comfortable on them. Otherwise they don't fit the definition of a black piste.

Literally the whole point of black pistes is that they're too difficult for most intermediate skiers to manage. There's no suggestion that those intermediate skiers shouldn't be allowed to try them, only that the runs themselves aren't be actually made easier for those skiers. Feel free to go ski them, and struggle on them, as long as you have fun! Just don't complain if they're too much for your current ability.

And they are made easier by grooming - and even more so by actual landscaping of the mountains in summer.

We're not talking expert skiers - there isn't a black run in the world (and never will be) that's challenging for an expert skier. It only seems fair that the upper end of holiday skiers have something to challenge and push themselves on without having to take the risks of going offpiste, if that's not their bag.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:

Literally the whole point of black pistes is that they're too difficult for most intermediate skiers to manage

Says who!? LOL

What's a 'real' black anyway??? Should they all be like the Swiss Wall/Tunnel/Grand Couloir?

Grading differs from resort to resort, I don't think that will ever change.

Every place I've been to has difficult blacks which only good skiers would do. I also think a pisted black can be a joy to ski.

Yes, some blacks are pisted, but I simply don't see the issue, it's not as if they all are without exception.

I'll say it again, the itinerary routes are never pisted and all resorts seem to provide them now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it still true there is variation between countries, or less so now? My first week was in Italy 1985 or thereabouts. After some hours on a dry slope, and the first morning learning half way up the hill, we were told "you can take the lift back down or try to ski." I decided that I hadn't paid to sit on a lift, so, with friends, went down on skis. Took most of the afternoon; slide, crash, slide, crash... It was a red. Think I even did a black by the end of the week. But in France next year, the reds were a whole different level, no way I was going down them.

Now just back from Grandvalira for the third time. After two weeks' learning and approaching parallel skiing, I took my 8 yr old down the lower black at El Tarter (Aliga), in the morning when it was corduroy. (Is that a better word than groomed?). It is very wide so she just traversed down it. Not much of a challenge until you point straight downhill, then the speed picks up alarmingly quickly, and that's what it was designed for. By contrast, our instructor was taking us over the top to Canillo, and we peered over the edge to a black (gaig) which looked like a goat track down a near cliff face. Am not going near that without a fresh will and a parachute. El Tarter also tricks people with its blue from the nursery slopes back to the resort. Several people think they'll ski down with their 6 yr olds at the end of the day, as it's "just a blue", and end up in major difficulties with the steep/lumpy sections. It really can be carnage down there at 4-4.30.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HoneyBunny wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Literally the whole point of black pistes is that they're too difficult for most intermediate skiers to manage

Says who!? LOL

Pretty much every piste map you'll ever find, where you'll notice they are defined as being either hard or difficult. If a 4-5 week intermediate skier can ski them comfortably, then they are quite clearly neither hard nor difficult.

Hell, even Wikipedia and the Dictionary say so:

Quote:
black run
noun
(skiing) an extremely difficult run, suitable for expert skiers
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shep wrote:
Health and Safety rules have obliged winch grooming all over the mountain. It's safer for the operator, but has led to the ban on using the pistes at night, since a cable strung across the piste at neck-height is not conducive to safe tobogganing Confused .
  • Which "health and safety rules", which country, which resort?
  • They've been piste bashing in the middle of the night for at least 40 years - it is not new in most places I've ever ridden.
  • Tobogganing has always been controlled in some European resorts at least (eg Zermatt).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
Literally the whole point of black pistes is that they're too difficult for most intermediate skiers to manage.

The point of black pistes is to help resorts to market themselves to skiers who think they are advanced. Ditto for green, the other way around.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@philwig, The "Arete Prefectorial" for Thonon Prefecture banning night-time access to the slope was passed in 2001. I didn't say night-time bashing is new, I said widespread winch-grooming is relatively recent rolling eyes .

My ratrack driver friend was telling me around the same time (early 2000s) what a pain it is to have to constantly jump out of the cab all night long to re-hitch the winch hook to the next ground-anchor as they work their way around the resort. He claims far more drivers are hurt slipping doing this than were ever previously at risk of the machine being taken by an avalanche. But it is now mandatory and an immediate dismissal if the chef should come by on his skidoo and find anyone grooming a winch-piste without being tethered.

Until 2001 there was no restriction to access to the slopes after hours in Morzine/Avoriaz. I'm no expert on the rules elsewhere, but feel free to do your own research wink.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

@HoneyBunny,

It is precisely because people won't get better if they dont ski runs that challenge them that leaving a large number of black runs unpisted and a bit difficult is sensible. Having them as marked pistes that are controlled and patrolled makes them accessible for people who have not got the experience to venture further or possibly the insurance that allows them to whilst allowing them to try runs where the surface and conditions vary from the vast majority of pistes that are encountered elsewhere.

No one has ever suggested that you need to be an expert to ski these runs however making them more difficult than groomed pistes which already exist in profusion for the lower intermediate makes sense.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Curse you tangowaggon! Every time I see this thread title I of think of that Bonnie Tyler song with the lyric "where have all the good men gone..." and it's a bloody earworm song that I cannot get out of my head... arghhhhh!

If I'm going down, you're all going down with me Toofy Grin (sweet mother of god, the 80s Can only be described as pure cheese!)

http://youtube.com/v/BVtaVrUAPK0
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been staying in Lech this week but today we got the gondola over to Warth. There I skiied four black runs which would probably be blues in St Anton, on the same lift pass. I know the snow was super easy today but I just couldn't see how these pistes could ever justify being blacks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="T Bar"]
Quote:

It is precisely because people won't get better if they dont ski runs that challenge them that leaving a large number of black runs unpisted and a bit difficult is sensible.

Don't take this too seriously (and it is a bit of thread drift), but I always thought the biggest barrier to getting 'better' is skiing on terrain which is difficult! If you define 'better' as technical progress, then the place to improve is a nice easy slope... Of course, there are other strands to performance, such as gaining confidence by skiing unpisted or steep ground. For sure though, you will never be a great skier by only skiing on terrain at the edge of your ability.
latest report
@JamesHJ, I think you answer yourself in your statement for sure to improve technical ability it is sensible to develop this on easy terrain but to develop as a skier you need to then take this technique onto more testing terrain. I am not fro one minute suggesting that we should abolish easy terrain or any grooming, just that piste skiing has moved a little to far in the direction of the groomed and the gentle and that everything else has moved to off piste or the hybrid of itinaires/high routes that lack some of the attractions of the piste for those developing skills.
snow conditions
Zero_G wrote:
shep wrote:
Some un-pisted black have become pisted due to the growth of winch-grooming (mainly pandering to the egos of the not-quite-good-enough).

I've seen winch anchors alongside red pistes in Chamonix, so either winch grooming is common across all grades of pistes or Cham red pistes are as steep as black pistes in other resorts.

They use winch grooming for the top of the central red in Neiderau!
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:
shep wrote:

You've kind of missed the point there I think... If you're 'not qutie good enough' to ski a real black, why would you be irritated that you have to learn more and ski better to be able to do them, rather than have them made easier so you can ski them at your current level?

I think you have missed the meaning of what he said. He wasn't saying he was irritated by not being able to do them, he was irritated by the comment about "egos of tehe not-quite-good-enough".

Quote:

No-one has said that intermediate skiers shouldn't try black runs, only that black runs should be consistent with their labelling - difficult enough that only advanced skiers feel comfortable on them. Otherwise they don't fit the definition of a black piste.

Literally the whole point of black pistes is that they're too difficult for most intermediate skiers to manage. There's no suggestion that those intermediate skiers shouldn't be allowed to try them, only that the runs themselves aren't be actually made easier for those skiers. Feel free to go ski them, and struggle on them, as long as you have fun! Just don't complain if they're too much for your current ability.

And they are made easier by grooming - and even more so by actual landscaping of the mountains in summer.

We're not talking expert skiers - there isn't a black run in the world (and never will be) that's challenging for an expert skier. It only seems fair that the upper end of holiday skiers have something to challenge and push themselves on without having to take the risks of going offpiste, if that's not their bag.

I would agree with all of this.
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
Is it still true there is variation between countries, or less so now?

Not even just between countries, but between resorts in the same country.

There are no standards set for what constitutes a particular grade (and it would be very difficult to do so, in fairness).

Almost all resorts, regardless of what their terrain dictates think they need some runs of every grade (blue-red-black, plus green in France/Spain/Andorra).

So there will always be at least one or two blacks, even if none of their terrain would justify it in another resort.

And they will usually try to have at least one run back to base marked as blue, even if there isn't really anything that easy.

The proportions of blues (and greens where relevant) to reds will depend on the target market of the resort. If they market themselves as a beginner resort, it will be mostly blues, if they are aiming themselves at a more advanced market, there will usually be more reds.
ski holidays
How did everyones first ever black go? Did you wait til u were an expert before setting foot on one? How could anyone class themselves as an expert if they never had?
Bollox to that, pay your money ride the piste u want, the 'experts' will have the savvy to ski around you anyway.
ski holidays
Quote:

Don't take this too seriously (and it is a bit of thread drift), but I always thought the biggest barrier to getting 'better' is skiing on terrain which is difficult! If you define 'better' as technical progress, then the place to improve is a nice easy slope... Of course, there are other strands to performance, such as gaining confidence by skiing unpisted or steep ground. For sure though, you will never be a great skier by only skiing on terrain at the edge of your ability.

There are differing views on this, one poster said it was four years of skiing before he tackled a black, rule 5! I always found that I learned quickest when I was stretched to and beyond the limit of my abilities, ie as soon as I could survive a blue, I would move onto reds, then blacks, as a beginner, I never looked at moguls with dread or fear, they were something to be mastered, an exciting challenge.
Quote:

How did everyones first ever black go? Did you wait til u were an expert before setting foot on one? How could anyone class themselves as an expert if they never had?

ha! my first ever black was the first ever run I did on snow!, there was a huge queue for the chair lift on the first morning so my big brother suggested that if I was brave we could take the drag lift, the downside being that, if I fell off, the only way back down was a heavily mogulled black run, being a 21 year old male, I went for it, unfortunately I was a rather good, but not good enough beginner and managed to get almost all the way to the top before falling off the drag lift!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked I don't do walking up hill. so down the black it was, with one of the worst hangovers I've ever had.
Quote:

Exactly!!!! and if all the "blacks " are pisted flat, where has the challenge gone!. Sorry @HoneyBunny, but I agree with other posters that, in many resorts, the challenging runs have been flattened at the request of, skiers that do not want to / can not ski the bumps, leaving offpiste and under the lifts as the only option for a really challenging run for those of us fortunate enough to be able to ski well.
Time for bed now and sleep of the red wine
ski holidays
@tangowaggon, you might want bigger bait....
ski holidays
Quote:

@tangowaggon, you might want bigger bait....

You might be right there Toofy Grin , the sober head on me tells me to edit and tone it down, nah, WTF leave it as it is and stand back Toofy Grin
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
leaving offpiste and under the lifts as the only option for a really challenging run for those of us fortunate enough to be able to ski well.

I simply don't see why that's a problem, and that's why this thread remains a bit of a mystery to me. Ski resorts are a business, and they will do precisely what they think makes business sense. Apparently, they don't think having super-hard pistes does - though I must say that the North American half-and-half model sounds appealing, and don't see why it wouldn't work in Europe. The fact is, options do exist for you. (And by "offpiste" I assume you mean controlled itineraries as well as uncontrolled off-piste. Controlled itineraries seem to match what you're looking for, despite your protestations; and as numerous others have commented, they exist in many resorts.)

What I really don't get - and said so when you started exactly the same thread a year ago (I'm not sure what could have changed in a year) - is why someone who is talented enough to have got down a black run as their first ever run whilst hungover, and who is now unchallenged by resort pistes, is interested in pistes at all (since you doesn't seem to be interested in racing). You're quite clearly not representative of the resort business' target clientele, and so why not give the whole resort business a miss and get into real skiing (ski touring, etc)? Insurance and courses in snow science and mountain safety are easy to come by.
snow conditions
Quote:

though I must say that the North American half-and-half model sounds appealing, and don't see why it wouldn't work in Europe.

Exactly my point, my gripe is with resorts like Grandvalira (which is a fantastic place to take my family) and Sella Ronda where there are no itineraries (not that I have found)
Quote:

is why someone who is talented enough to have got down a black run as their first ever run whilst hungover,

Never said that I skied down it Laughing I was stood up at least some of the time though Laughing
Quote:

Ski resorts are a business, and they will do precisely what they think makes business sense. Apparently, they don't think having super-hard pistes does

Which is a shame and, I think misinformed, when the Avet world cup run in Soldeu was a mogulled bump run many years ago, it was no less used than it is now, in fact I would estimate that fewer people use it now and lots of people ski the tiny patches of bumps on the way to the Solana chair lift. the mad thing is that Grandvalira actually used to create an artificial bump run at the side of one of the pistes but, as they were artificial, the spacing of the bumps was all wrong and not very enjoyable for even the better skiers.
Lots of skiers that don't like them, will complain about moguls and the resorts have done something about this. Very few that enjoy the challenge of moguls will actually say so to the resort, so the resorts hear only the negative side.
Offpiste is a completely different experience to mogul runs, I can't imagine any resort that does not have at least some offpiste opportunities and the problem with offpiste, under the lifts etc is the insurance, safety and cost implications
snow report
I may not be reading right, but I fail to really see the difference between a black left ungroomed and many of the itineraries. The fact the ones I started skiing this season as a way to progress now I'm comfortable on groomed blacks were, as I mentioned earlier, marked black runs a couple of years ago that were left to the conditions. I think it's quite a good way of distinguishing for people who don't like bumps. I tried one last year and hated it, picked my way down slowly. This year., as a better skier with properly fitted boots and some decent skis (makes all the difference, my big issue was trusting my equipment) I really enjoyed the challenge of the ungroomed runs. I'm not yet ready for 'proper' off piste, although I am insured for it, but the fact the ski routes are marked and patrolled give me a bit more confidence that I'm not going to get lost/end up surrounded by rocks/down a crevasse etc etc. I view them as 'ungroomed blacks' rather than 'marked off piste' if that makes sense. It allows me to improve skills in softer snow so I can eventually take guided days etc.

Guess it just depends how you view them.
ski holidays
lampygirl wrote:
I may not be reading right, but I fail to really see the difference between a black left ungroomed and many of the itineraries.

The difference is that not all itineraries are patrolled or avy controlled.
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
my gripe is with resorts like Grandvalira (which is a fantastic place to take my family) and Sella Ronda where there are no itineraries (not that I have found)

But that's easily deduced before booking the holiday. And Grandvalira and, as I understand it, Sella Ronda, are not known for particularly challenging terrain (although I take issue with lazy statements that I sometimes see on here along the lines of "there is nothing for advanced skiers in Andorra").

In fact Grandvalira has two controlled free ride areas: Pic Blanc in Pas de la Casa and Encampadana in El Tarter. The former is usually mogulled. Also, the old bottom half of Àliga in El Tarter is always mogulled.

Quote:
Lots of skiers that don't like them, will complain about moguls and the resorts have done something about this. Very few that enjoy the challenge of moguls will actually say so to the resort, so the resorts hear only the negative side.

I'd like to think - though I grant you that it might be wishful thinking - that resorts take into account what people do, not just what they say. I suspect they're well aware that a few people like moguls, but they think there's more business mileage catering to people who don't. Certainly, I would say that that's the case at a resort like Grandvalira. But if what people say does make a difference, then that's an easy win: have you let Grandvalira know your opinion? Resorts in the Pyrenees tend to be pretty friendly and I'm sure you'd get a reply.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero_G wrote:
lampygirl wrote:
I may not be reading right, but I fail to really see the difference between a black left ungroomed and many of the itineraries.

The difference is that not all itineraries are patrolled or avy controlled.

But again, that can be deduced in advance.
snow report
Pyremaniac, yes, piste maps clearly state whether itineraries are patrolled and controlled. Despite this, lampygirl, is under the impresssion that itineraries can be treated as ungroomed black pistes rather than marked off piste, whereas the opposite is true. I can't speak for other ski areas but in Verbier and Chamonix the itineraries are neither patrolled nor avy controlled, so should be approached as marked off piste with the associated avy risks taken into account.
snow report
@Zero_G, hmmm, I think e.g. Vallon d'Arbi (Verbier) is avvy controlled and patrolled (there's a barrier at the top and sometimes it's "open", sometimes not).

What itineraries in Chamonix? I don't know of any that are marked? Puzzled
ski holidays
under a new name, on the Verbier piste map, it states that the itineraries are are neither patrolled nor avy controlled.

And shhhh... the Cham itineraries are classified. No seriously, looking at the Cham piste map online, seems that for the past 6 winters (6 years ago is the last time I actually looked at a Cham piste map) I've been mistaking the Point de Vue black run as an itinerary (I've never skied it in a groomed state) Embarassed Clearly I should return my season pass straight away.
ski holidays
@Zero_G, re Verbs: fair enough, I haven't looked at a piste map for there since 1992. So what makes an itinerary vs ordinary h.p.?

Yes. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself re Chamonix. Don't worry about returning your lift pass though, the Compagnie du Mont Blanc can see all and it only looks like a season pass now. Next time you pass the turnstile at the Grands Montets it will transmogrify into an nasty steaming lump of melted plastic. Probably ruining your pocket in the process. Twisted Evil

Have you noticed the Black Spot on your palm yet? Accursed ye be.
snow conditions
Pyremaniac wrote:

But again, that can be deduced in advance.

The fact that there is quite a bit of debate suggests that deduction is not as easy and certainly as convenient as it should be.
Would be better for most if they had stuck with the original black runs and didn't piste them.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Have you noticed the Black Spot on your palm yet? Accursed ye be.

Yes! Shocked Does that mean I will be vapourised (and absorbed back into the Cham community's resources) the next time I take the top bin at GM.
latest report
Pyremaniac wrote:
...Ski resorts are a business, and they will do precisely what they think makes business sense...

The problem is that the market is highly imperfect and has a huge amount of inertia: environmental and planning restrictions mean that no more resorts are likely to be built in the Alps in our lifetime. Existing resorts have a broad base of stakeholders that often like things to remain exactly the way that they are, so we're essentially left with no choice if we want to ski in Europe. Additionally, I suspect that lovers of tough skiing spend significantly less per day in resort than regular folk: they'll bring their own skis, won't linger in restaurants and will often be younger and less affluent than the cruising crowd.

Imagine a large ski area attempted to appease skiers like me. They'd have two choices: they could either create new ungroomed runs and invite massive hostility from environmentalists and off-piste guides, or they convert existing runs into bump runs and upset a huge swathe of their existing customer base, probably including powerful landowning interests. Recognising the market demand, some resorts have opted for the latter approach and turned black runs into itineraires, but, by often choosing not to avi-control or patrol these runs, they've attracted a lot of bad publicity from the skiing press.

A couple of smaller, innovative resorts have spotted the niche and are attempting to appeal to the market of frustrated skiers. Ste Foy has opened up large areas of terrain for skiers who want to ski natural snow, for example. Another poster has mentioned Baqueira, although I've never been there.

I'm not aware that Americans and Canadians have some genetic superiority which allows them to ski bump runs that Europeans can't manage. But, in my experience, the tough, ungroomed runs in North America seem to attract nearly as many skiers as the easy groomed runs. The tough skiing business model clearly works over htere and would work over here.

As I've said before, if only Jackson Hole were in the Alps. Or Breckenridge, Vail, Big Sky, Whistler, Panorama... I could go on indefinitely. I believe that if a sizeable ski resort offered a true North American experience, it would quickly develop attract an enormous, passionate and highly faithful customer base.
snow conditions
Hmmm. I skiied last week in flims/laax, and they have both a huge number of avi contolled itineraries and freeride zones, along with fairly extensive groomed and non groomed black runs. Seemed to me to be a fairly decent best of both worlds scenario!
snow conditions
@coddlesangers, yes exactly - it's the French who have lost the plot and let all their black runs slide into the no-mans land of cruddy 'natur-rides' (sic)

Still a great mix of steep black pistes and controlled itineraries in Switz & Aus and the Italians retain their black pistes as always.
snow report
Quote:

the Italians retain their black pistes as always.

but there have been a number of complaints here that the black pistes in the Dolomites are far too easy and nicely pisted.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy