Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monarch/FlyBE/Jet2 and the other shysters

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

It makes me laugh to see people try and leg it down the aisle as fast as they can to get off the airplane, whilst in the knowledge that there is a bus waiting for everyone to disambark before driving them to the terminal.

And you get off the plane climb on the bus last and get off first.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And then have to wait for yer luggage...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And then wait on the transfer coach for the Gatwick flight to land...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w,
Quote:

but that's not an excuse for breaking the rules, is it, and I'm sure you stick to the guidelines when you travel, FTZ. The attitude of people who think rules are made for other people gets on my tits, especially when they accuse those whose job it is to keep the aircraft safe and comfortable for everybody of being cows and shysters.
Yes I do, and I completely agree.

@dogwatch,
Quote:

One of life's mysteries is why people want to jump up out of their nice comfy seats in order to stand jam-packed and motionless in the aisle when it's a certainty the doors won't open for another 5 minutes anyway and those of us in cattle class aren't leaving for 5 minutes more after that because Club exits first.
If I've been sitting in the same seat, which isn't always that comfortable, I'm pretty keen to get up and out as fast as I can. Happily I'm usually in Club so the wait isn't too long if you are crushed in the aisle.

@Dav,
Quote:

The rest are either getting their hand luggage from overhead bins not quite near them, or in most cases they are just plain idiots. It makes me laugh to see people try and leg it down the aisle as fast as they can to get off the airplane, whilst in the knowledge that there is a bus waiting for everyone to disambark before driving them to the terminal.
95% of the flights I catch have an airbridge/jetway so no problem with buses. The sooner you are off the flight, the sooner you get through immigration etc. and the sooner you are on your way. Going through an airport like Domodedovo in Moscow the difference between being at the front of the queue for immigration and being at the back can even be as much as an hour. For those flights I know which seat will be closest to the exit door they use on those flights, not the usual ones, to make sure I am ahead of the masses. Even if you are stuck with a bus transfer from aircraft to terminal I'd rather be on the first bus than the 2nd or 3rd. It's just personal preference, and I'm not suggesting it's always logical, but I dislike standing in a mass of people shuffling along, so I'd always rather be first on and first off given half a chance. How many of us would rather take a detour to avoid a traffic jam even if the detour might be a minute longer. I'd rather be moving and master of my own destiny, not queuing like a sheep. (Do sheep queue). Does all that make me an 'idiot'? I don't think so.

Of course, one of the other benefits of boarding a flight early is you don't have all that hassle of trying to find a place for your hand luggage - You have the choice of the whole aircraft.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have no issue with people and 'allowed' hand luggage. The airlines drive us towards this to make turnaround times shorter. I can pack a weeks summer holiday clothes into an allowed bag. I am off the plane and normally in a private transfer within 10-15 mins of landing.

I do agree that people need to chill out getting on and off planes. For the most part you have a pre-booked seat so shoving past little kids to get to your seat serves little purpose. And as said above, there is little point rushing off planes. Just take your blooming turn.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I flew with Germanwings at the end of last year, and interestingly nothing was weighed or size checked but although my cabin bag was within (just) the size weight guidelines because I struggled to get it into the overhead locker I got a lot of 'disgusted' looks. Another young English speaking lady gave me a helping hand and I think was surprised that I had struggled somewhat. (Not everyone is a fit as they would like to be lol) I would guess that GermanWings customers do their 'own' policing and do not break the rules. But then they are allowed a cabin bag and a suit carrier and everything seemed to fit!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CaravanSkier, I'm not tall enough to put my own bag into an overhead locker. Fortunately I usually fly with my hubby in tow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells wrote:
@CaravanSkier, I'm not tall enough to put my own bag into an overhead locker. Fortunately I usually fly with my hubby in tow.
Bizarrely, the rules say that if you can't put it in the locker unaided then you have to put it under your seat of get stuffed. Seems a bit uncharitable.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LOTA wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Sounds fair enuff to be TBH

Agreed. I hate the way people pile onto planes with absurd amounts of stuff and fill up all the lockers so that I can't get my very modest bag and coat in there. You see them standing in line to get on the plane, at least 50% of them over the stated limits. I wish all airlines would routinely enforce all the rules consistently - then people would know where they stand.

Couldn't agree more; people are taking the p*** with the size of their 'hand luggage'. The aircraft cabins simply weren't designed to take this amount of stuff. Some idiot dropped his heavy and oversized suitcase when scrambling to get off in a hurry at Edinburgh and it struck me on the head and in the face, breaking my spectacles. If I hadn't been dazed, I would have punched him!

On my last Swiss flight to Geneva, the attendants were checking the size of hand luggage at the gate - and putting anything that was too large to the handlers for loading into the hold. Well done to them! Very Happy

BA staff a couple of weeks ago getting very particular about hand luggage size. They were def not in the mood for compromise.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

How many of us would rather take a detour to avoid a traffic jam even if the detour might be a minute longer. I'd rather be moving and master of my own destiny, not queuing like a sheep. (Do sheep queue). Does all that make me an 'idiot'? I don't think so.

Yes I take the slow chair lift with no queue rather than the fast one with a queue.

The last time I went through Moscow we were whisked through the diplomatic channel in minutes - It was great, only to have a 5 hour wait for a connecting flight.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dogwatch wrote:

One of life's mysteries is why people want to jump up out of their nice comfy seats in order to stand jam-packed and motionless in the aisle when it's a certainty the doors won't open for another 5 minutes anyway and those of us in cattle class aren't leaving for 5 minutes more after that because Club exits first.

Not so nice and comfy for anyone over 6ft, especially once the idiot in front has reclined their seat into you face.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
Bizarrely, the rules say that if you can't put it in the locker unaided then you have to put it under your seat of get stuffed. Seems a bit uncharitable.

Agreed. When travelling alone I also struggle to put my hand baggage in the overhead locker, due to my lack of height, not inability to lift the weight. Fortunately, some kind person usually sees my difficulty and offers to help Smile.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Most of the last few times I have flown it has been with an elderly Aunt in tow. Because of the blue badge, the obvious age related disabilities and all the rest, we have been, by and large, given really good help. So it never occurred to me that I might have any problem getting my cabin bag into the overhead locker. On German Wings, on my own, I struggled, as I said help was offered by another passenger but not by staff, maybe they would have in due course I don`t know, but the disapproving looks and obvious irritation of other passengers made me uncomfortable even though I was breaking no rules. The idea that you have to be able to put your own luggage in the overhead locker may be good in speed terms but it may also be very difficult for some!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two questions about this.

dogwatch wrote:

1- who do you fly with?

2 - are you hobbit sized?

When you've had your knees squashed against the seat in front for the last few hours being able to stand up is a blessed relief.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
One of life's mysteries is why people want to jump up out of their nice comfy seats in order to stand jam-packed and motionless in the aisle when it's a certainty the doors won't open for another 5 minutes

they're just excited, bless 'em
ski holidays
@CaravanSkier, I've been helped on easyJet when passengers already boarded had filled up all the available locker space with their oversized tat, ski helmets etc, leaving no room for my modest bag and coat. They've moved things around and stuffed them in somewhere in the vicinity. I imagine that provided your bag was well within the dimensions allowed, and not too heavy (ie not full of books) if you asked a member of staff and explained you were unable to lift it, they would help you.
latest report
In my experience the problem with easyjet's two hand luggage limits is that if you choose to take a bag that fits into the smaller size limit they'll often make you put it under the seat in front which, as quite a tall person who values every bit of space I can get, makes things even more uncomfortable whilst those too cheap to pay for hold luggage get to put their big bags in the overhead lockers and enjoy the foot room. You pay extra for hold luggage then get shafted in the comfort stakes.
snow report
swiftoid wrote:
In my experience the problem with easyjet's two hand luggage limits is that if you choose to take a bag that fits into the smaller size limit they'll often make you put it under the seat in front which, as quite a tall person who values every bit of space I can get, makes things even more uncomfortable whilst those too cheap to pay for hold luggage get to put their big bags in the overhead lockers and enjoy the foot room. You pay extra for hold luggage then get shafted in the comfort stakes.

That's a bit unfair. The 'big' hand luggage size is just the old size - and not that much bigger than the new 'small' size.
snow conditions
swiftoid wrote:
... they'll often make you put it under the seat in front...

Ye gods man - grow a pair or borrow some at least! Don't let the cabin crew Gestapo push you around.

Stick your bag up into those lockers and if Dale Winton and co. want to move it then let 'em knock themselves out!
snow conditions
martinm wrote:
swiftoid wrote:

That's a bit unfair. The 'big' hand luggage size is just the old size - and not that much bigger than the new 'small' size.

I agree it's unfair. That's why I'm complaining about it.

On my last three EJ flights (every one I've taken since the new rules were brought in) there was nobody measuring hand luggage sizes (and it was blatantly obvious that some were flouting the rules) but I was made to take my (well within the smaller limit) rucksack out of the overhead locker and put it under the seat in front of me causing me more discomfort than otherwise while those taking the p1ss got to take advantage of all the space available.

It's stupid. It'd make more sense for me to take a hand luggage bag bigger than I need on my next trip in March just to ensure I can wiggle my toes.
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
swiftoid wrote:
... they'll often make you put it under the seat in front...

Ye gods man - grow a pair or borrow some at least! Don't let the cabin crew Gestapo push you around.

Stick your bag up into those lockers and if Dale Winton and co. want to move it then let 'em knock themselves out!

I'm not worried about Dale Winton but you've clearly never met Wendy the Glaswegian who often seems to work the Edinburgh flights.
She would chew yours off and spit them in your face.
snow report
@swiftoid, Yes always take the biggest bag you are allowed and if you are lucky they will even put it the hols for you at no extra charge. I do
latest report
@johnE, me too! But inside the big bag I have a smaller bag (ie, the 10 litre rucksac that I use everyday when skiing), full of stuff I really need on the plane, (specs, book, hand cream, lipsalve etc) and stuff that I don't trust to go in the hold, (tablet). If they ask if I want to put the big bag in the hold, it's great. I just unzip and take out the other bag which fits comfortably under the seat with plenty of foot room. Result! If they don't, I still separate the bags as I get on the plane so the big one can go in any overhead locker where there's a space as I don't need to get anything out.
latest report
....there is always the space below the seat in front of you (unless you are in emergency exit seats). Doesn't noticeably impair legroom and makes getting your book/tablet/whatever a damned sight easier.
Sizes of hand luggage being strictly enforced is largely irrelevant when, if you desire, you can fill several carrier bags with duty free.
ski holidays
There is a lot of nonsense being written on here by some people. There are generally two distinct types of travellers: business and leisure. I fall in to both camps but once you are the former becoming the latter is difficult.

I am a weekly commuter on easyjet. I fly EDI-STN-EDI; out Monday, back Thursday. To make my commute easy I always travel with a single piece of cabin baggage. In this bag I need work papers, laptop and clothes for the week. In testament to the quality of the product, I had used the same Travelpro bag for 12 years on numerous airlines across the UK and the rest of world. It fits absolutely perfectly in to the overhead lockers (the correct way, wheels in, not sideways) as it was designed to do. I had used it on easyjet many times but on one occasion I was approached by one of the gate staff who asked me to put it in the sizer. Much to my surprise it would not fit in fully as the wheels, and only the wheels, protruded about 1cm over the edge of the sizer and were preventing it from going in. At this point I was forced to pay £45 to have it put in the hold. Nothing I said was going to make the gate agent see it from my point of view: the bag fits perfectly. The wheels go to the back and don’t take up room. None of that made any difference. As a result of this episode I was forced to shelf a perfectly good bag and purchase another as I was not willing to face more £45 charges.

My new Travelpro bag is around 2cm smaller and fits in the sizer. The marginally smaller size does not enable any more bags to be fitted in the overhead and the only people to benefit are Travelpro. As an easyjet Plus card holder I get unlimited seat reservations and normally always get row 1. Given the density of the easyjet flights if I don't get on very early my bag can end up a few rows back and it is then almost impossible to get it until the aircraft begins to empty. This then means I join a larger queue at the car hire and the knock-on effect means I don't get to work when I want to.

The way I look at it is that I pay for Speedy Boarding and this gives me first dibs on the overhead locker space. If you want to get your large bag on-board then pay for Speedy Boarding. If you are happy to join the end of the general queue then don't complain if there is no space left. And yes, I'm one of those who queues up at the front of the Speedy Boarding line for the reasons stated above.
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Had interesting challenge for EJ last year. Helpful cabin staff moved my coat from the locker above me to one further back. As it was further back, I had to wait to collect it. Unfortunately somebody picked up the wrong coat and got off. With it. You cam imagine the look of horror on the cabin staff faces when I pointed this out, and that my passport was in the coat!

Never seen cabin staff run off the plane before! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
swiftoid wrote:

1- who do you fly with?

Virgin, BA, American, Lufthansa, Swiss, Flybe, Easyjet come to mind. There have been more.

Quote:
2 - are you hobbit sized?

No, pretty average thank you very much.
ski holidays
When I started flying 30 years ago or so it seemed very unusual to take just hand luggage. Perhaps it was because with flights being proportionally more expensive weekend breaks were rare?? Anyway most people booked a case into the hold, for free. Hand luggage was usually just a rucksack or handbag predominantly with things you wanted on the flight.
It seems to me the overhead lockers are still pretty much the same size but now with far more to squeeze into them
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Going back to the OP, the reasoning behind "Skis/Boards ONLY" inside sports equipment bags is more to do with the airlines liability insurance. As we all know, outsize baggage is the first thing that gets left behind if they have loading issues, so by stipulating that the only thing that SHOULD be inside the bag is one pair of skis or one snowboard, that's all they're liable for if its left on the tarmac at your home airport.

People banging their fists on the table and demanding recompense for their ermine trimmed fartbag or dozen go-pros or whole quiver of iridium-core snowboards? Do one. You'll get a chit for ski/board hire from budget rent-a-plank and lump it...

Thanks for trying to get this back on point Richard. Certain people (yes you know who you are) seem to have typecast me as some kn*b who shouts and rages at checkin staff, boards these flights with a Tor rucksack containing all my worldly goods along with pots, pans and a couple of birdcages hanging and a clanging off it and then crams it into the whole of an overhead locker - in reality one of those small Animal jobs containing a newspaper, bottle of water, book or two and a tablet and no shouting and raging.. rolling eyes. Once I tried to board a Monarch flight with the helmet external (once !) since the new "slimmer" boardbag Snow+Rock had sold me (from the limited range available) would not accommodate a helmet.. I had seen countless people doing it in the past and chanced it - but it wasn't to be.. Fine, God bless Antler for their extendable zip thing suitcases...

I have had a reply for anyone who might be interested. These terms have always been there it seems, it ain't a new thing. The staff do reserve the right to get you to take everything but your board or skis out - but in reality, seeing as it ain't going to make much difference either to weight or bulk (and besides you're allowed up to 20-22kg anyway) and the drama that might result, - will generally not.

As it goes, inconsiderate passengers do my nut in as well - and there are certainly enough around for everyone.

Talking of Go-Pro, sorry, I just don't get it ? Enjoy the moment but to film every run on the slopes (or off) just seems a bit sad ("Ooh, let's watch all 5 hours tonight - I've burned it onto a DVD !.. Here's me meandering down Blue 12, watch me pop off this roller - see that a whole 2 inches.. Big Air dude...Amped..." Embarassed ) and you look a bit like a really bad version of Universal Soldier... As for that youtube prat on blades, enough said...
ski holidays
@JezC, what's a DVD? Toofy Grin

I flew Flybe last month and they checked everything except what was in the ski bag. They wanted to charge for my daughters ski boots because they were in a separate bag and we hadn't payed ski carriage for them. They tried to charge us for being over the weight limit by including the other boot bags in the normal allowance and then they did charge us for ski carriage despite my producing the receipt to say we had paid for them.

They weighed our hand luggage which was odd as I thought it was a size limit and then made us take the kid's boots as hand luggage. There were loads of people in departure with ski boots hung around their necks and helmets strapped on bags.

Then when we got on the flight it was only three quarters full which means the weight probably wasn't an issue.

The week before my brother took a business flight with Flybe and they asked him to check a bag cos he had his laptop and a small rucksack. He refused and pointed at a woman who had a large carryon and a handbag. He basically pointed out that when he got back to the office having been refused a flight his company would need to reconsider their travels arrangements. They let him on.

The difference was he was prepared to miss his business meeting and I wasn't prepared to miss my holiday
snow report
@JezC, what's a DVD? Toofy Grin

I flew Flybe last month and they checked everything except what was in the ski bag. They wanted to charge for my daughters ski boots because they were in a separate bag and we hadn't payed ski carriage for them. They tried to charge us for being over the weight limit by including the other boot bags in the normal allowance and then they did charge us for ski carriage despite my producing the receipt to say we had paid for them.

They weighed our hand luggage which was odd as I thought it was a size limit and then made us take the kid's boots as hand luggage. There were loads of people in departure with ski boots hung around their necks and helmets strapped on bags.

Then when we got on the flight it was only three quarters full which means the weight probably wasn't an issue.

The week before my brother took a business flight with Flybe and they asked him to check a bag cos he had his laptop and a small rucksack. He refused and pointed at a woman who had a large carryon and a handbag. He basically pointed out that when he got back to the office having been refused a flight his company would need to reconsider their travels arrangements. They let him on.

The difference was he was prepared to miss his business meeting and I wasn't prepared to miss my holiday
ski holidays
If the airline leaves your stuff off a flight, is their responsibility to get it to you in the resort or only as far as your destination airport?
snow report
To you.
latest report
Ha ha, just noticed I've posted twice. Never ever buy a Windows Phone.
snow report
henzerani wrote:

I won't, but thanks for the advice Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
henzerani wrote:

I thought they were very transparent to operate wink

Some here have said airlines state skis only in the ski bag but who does just that with the way baggage handlers throw stuff around ?

If they looked after peoples bags a bit more then fine but while they think every bag is caber practice we need to protect expensive equipment by padding it out.
ski holidays
@speed098, baggage handlers don't work for an airline, so they don't give a flying f*ck about the bags unfortunately
latest report
I fly for work and only use hard cases in hold luggage as you get to see the baggage throwers in action at a lot of airports.

As an added advantage hard cases tend to be more waterproof than soft bags, useful when you have an aircraft issue delay at the airport and you can see all the bags just piled on trollies next to the plane in the rain (sans waterproof covers). The contents of my hard case were nice and dry when we finally arrived in resort, some of my firends had a little drying-out to do.
snow conditions
Always fly with thomsons now and they are great although i dont flaunt the rules. Loads of leg room too which is great for me at 6'2''. Big test next month though flying into chambery. Jet2 there last time was totally forgetable and yes they left all our luggage in france, not just the skis. Got it back 8 days later
latest report
I always use a hard case for the hold having seen what the automatic baggage handling machinery does once it has left your sight - its far more brutal than any human baggage handler!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy