Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monarch/FlyBE/Jet2 and the other shysters

Poster: A snowHead
Wasn't sure where to post this but I usually book a package that involves flights one or the other of this lot at some miserable point.

This year I noticed there are terms about not putting anything other than skis or snowboards in the outsized equipment bookings ? Anyone know if this is a new thing ? Also, how likely they are to enforce it ?

Everyone stuffs their boardbag from what I can tell... It's long been done. Doesn't add much to the bulk or weight so I'm perplexed. The woman who normally deals post-booking is being as obtuse and unhelpful as she always is (the sales rep is lovely and always helpful to the max but then it's handed over to this mare once that's sorted) so not getting much in the way of info...

Any nasty new events/scenes at airports to report ? Or is it nothing to get het up about and just typical bs from the charter operators ?? Confused
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just got back from a Monarch charter trip via Ski Olympic. As usual had a double bag with two sets of skis, one set of boots, two sets of poles and Ski Mojo. 21kg. No issues at Manchester nor Grenoble.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Bish wrote:
Just got back from a Monarch charter trip via Ski Olympic. As usual had a double bag with two sets of skis, one set of boots, two sets of poles and Ski Mojo. 21kg. No issues at Manchester nor Grenoble.

snowHead

Yeah, it's weird - never heard of this being an issue before in like 10 years so..

Thanks Chris - see, immediate reassurance on here and <insert> at <certain> anything but....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Needless to say, I only paid one ski carriage fee!

Turn up with as close to 20kg as you can get and say nothing.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never been anywhere close to 20 tbh - usually about 16 and that;s with the boots (crammed with the usual bullet tool, wrist guards, goggles, sunnies), ski jacket and trousers, knee pads, impact shorts etc and various medical stuff and some toiletries also...

I was told to pack my helmet for the first time last year which I thought was a bit off. Seems they can no longer stomach people strapping them to their hand luggage. Checkin desk woman was a right cow about it.... I nearly asked her if I dumped it and ended up cracking my head open on a rock she'd be sympathetic.. Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JezC wrote:
I was told to pack my helmet for the first time last year which I thought was a bit off. Seems they can no longer stomach people strapping them to their hand luggage.

Sounds fair enuff to be TBH. Cabin baggage has to be within a certain size - if a helmet takes it above that, it's too big Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went to Bulgaria on Jet2 from East Midlands in Jan. Had Dakine Fall line double bag. Filled it with one pair of skis, boots and all other gear and clothing for a week. It weighed 23kg. No problems with it. I did pay the pre-pay the additional £15 for ski carriage.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First world problems strike again, how will we cope Puzzled

Package holiday = everything done for you, you adhere to the terms
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Sounds fair enuff to be TBH

Agreed. I hate the way people pile onto planes with absurd amounts of stuff and fill up all the lockers so that I can't get my very modest bag and coat in there. You see them standing in line to get on the plane, at least 50% of them over the stated limits. I wish all airlines would routinely enforce all the rules consistently - then people would know where they stand.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, on a recent sleazy flight back from Zurich people were taking really quite large suitcases on as 'hand luggage'. It doesn't bother me as I only ever have a small rucksack and keep it with me, but it does seem to getting a bit bizarre
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes it is annoying when there's not enough room overhead just to put ordinary sized rucksacks and bags. But it's people avoiding paying for hold luggage that causes this issue so they pack as much as they can in the hand luggage.
I'd sooner just pay for hold luggage and have it stowed away properly out of the way.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:

Agreed. I hate the way people pile onto planes with absurd amounts of stuff and fill up all the lockers so that I can't get my very modest bag and coat in there. You see them standing in line to get on the plane, at least 50% of them over the stated limits. I wish all airlines would routinely enforce all the rules consistently - then people would know where they stand.

On a recent Ryanair flight our exact size bags were taken as hold luggage free of charge while others with clearly oversize bags put them in the very full lockers. I get irritated at the lack of consistency!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Couldn't agree more; people are taking the p*** with the size of their 'hand luggage'. The aircraft cabins simply weren't designed to take this amount of stuff. Some idiot dropped his heavy and oversized suitcase when scrambling to get off in a hurry at Edinburgh and it struck me on the head and in the face, breaking my spectacles. If I hadn't been dazed, I would have punched him!

On my last Swiss flight to Geneva, the attendants were checking the size of hand luggage at the gate - and putting anything that was too large to the handlers for loading into the hold. Well done to them! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tarrantd wrote:
pam w wrote:

On a recent Ryanair flight our exact size bags were taken as hold luggage free of charge while others with clearly oversize bags put them in the very full lockers. I get irritated at the lack of consistency!

This happened to me on a recent Easyjet flight. The really annoying thing was that I had taken the time and trouble to ensure I was within the size/weight requirements, with only one carry on bag but still had to spend time at the gate removing valuable items that I wanted to take on board with me. Mad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

...... either that or there's be a new thread on here about the 'size gestapo' employed by Ryanair Laughing
ski holidays
@LOTA, re Swiss, that may be because Swiss relatively recently implemented cheap "light" hand luggage only fares on routes where they compete directly with queasyjet and so many passengers on those routes are going to (or beyond) the limit. They will often ask for volunteers to have their luggage hand loaded into the hold from the gate. Which usually suits me fine.
latest report
LOTA wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Couldn't agree more; people are taking the p*** with the size of their 'hand luggage'. The aircraft cabins simply weren't designed to take this amount of stuff. Some idiot dropped his heavy and oversized suitcase when scrambling to get off in a hurry at Edinburgh and it struck me on the head and in the face, breaking my spectacles. If I hadn't been dazed, I would have punched him!

On my last Swiss flight to Geneva, the attendants were checking the size of hand luggage at the gate - and putting anything that was too large to the handlers for loading into the hold. Well done to them! Very Happy

Maybe Time to wear helmets on flights rather than strapping them to the luggage ....
ski holidays
When I travel by air I fill mine with socks etc and stick it (along with ski boots) in a rucksack which goes in the hold.
latest report
Iski wrote:

This happened to me on a recent Easyjet flight. The really annoying thing was that I had taken the time and trouble to ensure I was within the size/weight requirements, with only one carry on bag but still had to spend time at the gate removing valuable items that I wanted to take on board with me. Mad

easyJet have 2 sizes, one that is guaranteed to go as hand luggage, the larger size may have to go in the hold:

"easyJet allows ONE item of cabin baggage per passenger. If you bring ONE piece of cabin baggage no bigger than 50 x 40 x 20cm including handles and wheels, we guarantee it will always travel with you either in the overhead locker or, if necessary, under the seat in front of you. "
snow report
@zebedee, but in practice, if you are later in the queue to board and they've decided it's already too full, they still take your bag off you. It has happened to me recently too - my protests that it could fit under the seat in front of me were to no avail. It wasn't a huge phaff as I did already have checked luggage and didn't have anything much in there I needed. But it was a bit sneakily done - one member of staff stuck a tag on it whilst I was having my passport and boarding pass checked by another - I turned around and they'd tagged it and were about to cart it off straight away!
snow conditions
Very annoying if you have the right size bag, and just because other people who boarded earlier got away with ski helmets tied to big bags, straw donkeys, etc. The consensus on his thread seems to be that airlines should publish clear rules and stick to them, insisting that all oversize bags and other rubbish gets put in the hold.

If that leads to the ones that like to push their luck complaining about shysters and Nazis, tough. Twisted Evil
snow report
All right, calm down pam w, I wasn't one of those that would let the thing straddle alll over the locker. I used to position it so that it would sit on top of the rucksack in my locker leaving plenty of room.... or perch it atop

And I never attempt to take equipment on as hand luggage (other than the helmet) - and that was only cos the new boardbag I had wouldn't fit the damn thing - so it was actually once only....
ski holidays
Quote:

calm down pam w

you're the one who needs to calm down sunshine - calling people "shysters" and "right cows" because they try to persuade you to stick to the rules. Rather abusive language, dontcha think?
snow conditions
Quote:

Maybe Time to wear helmets on flights rather than strapping them to the luggage ....

Careful

Next thing you know it will be mandatory to wear the helmet whilst on the plane and stories similar to @LOTA's, would be reporting that their helmet saved their life
ski holidays
@zebedee, I was aware of the sizes for hand baggage and my bag was the size guaranteed to travel with you in the cabin but, as mentioned by @Gämsbock, I was towards the end of the queue to board. That's what made it especially annoying!
snow conditions
JezC wrote:
I used to position it so that it would sit on top of the rucksack in my locker leaving plenty of room.... or perch it atop.

Thus preventing someone putting a bag/coat on top of your rucksack............ You can get more than one layer in them you know. Shocked
snow conditions
and it's not "your" locker. Laughing
snow report
pam w wrote:
and it's not "your" locker. Laughing

Figure of speech Ms Pedantic. I will be putting it in the suitcase (for the hold !) before I even leave my domestic abode this year. I hope this information reassures you..

And yes the woman on checkin was a "right cow" about it. Difficult to make too much of that fact as this is what you get from Monarch.. I should know by now... Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All the staff on check in and on board our recent Monarch flight were lovely. I'm amazed at how some of them maintain their cool in the face of people being rude to them when they tell them their baggage does not meet their clearly published baggage rules.
latest report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
All the staff on check in and on board our recent Monarch flight were lovely. I'm amazed at how some of them maintain their cool in the face of people being rude to them when they tell them their baggage does not meet their clearly published baggage rules.

Well said - you see the rudeness bordering on offensive here all the time when people complain about not being allowed to do something that is clearly against the airline's policy. You can only imagine how these chancers treat check-ina and airline staff. That being said, what goes around comes around.....
snow report
LOTA,
Quote:

Some idiot dropped his heavy and oversized suitcase when scrambling to get off in a hurry at Edinburgh and it struck me on the head and in the face, breaking my spectacles. If I hadn't been dazed, I would have punched him!

Somebody accidentally drops their suitcase and your response would be to punch them??????

VolklAttivaS5,
Quote:

But it's people avoiding paying for hold luggage that causes this issue so they pack as much as they can in the hand luggage.
That's one of the reasons. The other, more relevant reason for most uf us, is that we won't / can't wait for the baggage to come through. Not necessarily relevant when going on a week's holiday, but extremely relevant if going on a 1-3 day business trip.
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, I didn't punch him, of course. Irony is difficult to convey in postings such as these! However, the person concerned was behaving recklessly and foolishly, standing up and attempting to remove his suitcase before the aircraft had come to a halt. The case was clearly exceeded the stated size limits for hand luggage. A bill for £120 for new spectacles was one of the painful outcomes of the incident.

Actually, on reflection, I should have smacked him straight on the snotbox! Very Happy (that's a joke, @foxtrotzulu,
snow report
Quote:

The other, more relevant reason for most uf us, is that we won't / can't wait for the baggage to come through

I did a lot of travel with "cabin baggage only" when I was working - but that's not an excuse for breaking the rules, is it, and I'm sure you stick to the guidelines when you travel, FTZ. The attitude of people who think rules are made for other people gets on my tits, especially when they accuse those whose job it is to keep the aircraft safe and comfortable for everybody of being cows and shysters.

@LOTA, the people who insist on standing up and grabbing their bags when the aircraft is still moving get on my tits too, as has their baggage on one or two occasions. Thankfully no broken glasses though. wink
ski holidays
Going back to the OP, the reasoning behind "Skis/Boards ONLY" inside sports equipment bags is more to do with the airlines liability insurance. As we all know, outsize baggage is the first thing that gets left behind if they have loading issues, so by stipulating that the only thing that SHOULD be inside the bag is one pair of skis or one snowboard, that's all they're liable for if its left on the tarmac at your home airport.

People banging their fists on the table and demanding recompense for their ermine trimmed fartbag or dozen go-pros or whole quiver of iridium-core snowboards? Do one. You'll get a chit for ski/board hire from budget rent-a-plank and lump it...
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Going back to the OP, the reasoning behind "Skis/Boards ONLY" inside sports equipment bags is more to do with the airlines liability insurance. As we all know, outsize baggage is the first thing that gets left behind if they have loading issues, so by stipulating that the only thing that SHOULD be inside the bag is one pair of skis or one snowboard, that's all they're liable for if its left on the tarmac at your home airport.

Are they liable? Don't you get something like a quid for each kg if they lose your bag, that's why you need insurance.
snow report
pam w wrote:

@LOTA, the people who insist on standing up and grabbing their bags when the aircraft is still moving get on my tits too, as has their baggage on one or two occasions. Thankfully no broken glasses though. wink

One of life's mysteries is why people want to jump up out of their nice comfy seats in order to stand jam-packed and motionless in the aisle when it's a certainty the doors won't open for another 5 minutes anyway and those of us in cattle class aren't leaving for 5 minutes more after that because Club exits first.
snow conditions
@dogwatch, the same people who queue for 35 minutes to get on the damn thing in the first place, whilst I read another couple of chapters of my book.
latest report
dogwatch wrote:
pam w wrote:

One of life's mysteries is why people want to jump up out of their nice comfy seats in order to stand jam-packed and motionless in the aisle when it's a certainty the doors won't open for another 5 minutes anyway and those of us in cattle class aren't leaving for 5 minutes more after that because Club exits first.

The only reasonable excuse for this I've heard is that you're much more at risk of DVT from the sudden elevation change if you stay seated than if you stand up and get the blood flowing through your legs. But I reckon less than 1% of people who stand up the instant the seatbelt light goes off do it for this reason. The rest are either getting their hand luggage from overhead bins not quite near them, or in most cases they are just plain idiots. It makes me laugh to see people try and leg it down the aisle as fast as they can to get off the airplane, whilst in the knowledge that there is a bus waiting for everyone to disambark before driving them to the terminal.
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:

People banging their fists on the table and demanding recompense for their ermine trimmed fartbag or dozen go-pros or whole quiver of iridium-core snowboards? Do one. You'll get a chit for ski/board hire from budget rent-a-plank and lump it...

Good point. I hadn't thought of that, but I'd bet it's right.
snow report
Thats what I was told when Jet2 left every ski and snowboard on our flight on the tarmac at Gatwick for us once. Montreal convention says you can submit claims back to the airline for essentials, but if they specify what can and cannot be in the bag then they limit what you can claim for. Fortunately for us, they all came on the next flight so we didn't lose anything for long.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy