Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Give a realistic opinion of how good a skier you are

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

No.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles wrote:
Quote:

No.

Exactly. I've been avoiding the issue for 35 years why should I give in now ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can turn both ways, left and right
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

If I have to ask myself that question I will never know . . .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

There's no such thing as a "realistic opinion". Opinions are by definition unrealistic!

"How good" is but only a relative term:

- Relative to beginners, I'm a darn good skier
- Relative to true professinoals,, I'm but a beginner.

And that's about as realistic as my opinion can be. Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I like that scale... I'm between 11 and 12, but also know that I have a lot to learn, tune, and play with to make my skiing better.

I'm better than I've ever been. While I completely tore my skiing down starting in 2003, building it back up using new gear and technique and coaching from some of the best in the US, I think I'm back to the level of confidence I had before learning how much I had to change and learn.

I say this in the hopes of giving you confidence in your own ability to grow and learn and change. In fact, Weems commented about my commitment to do that in the forward to my book. You can do it, too. I have done it part time, with 20-40 days on-snow each season (and rarely am I able to ski more than a couple of days in a row, although I have been fortunate to have 3 or 4 week-long trips over the years, including the EoSB in 2007). I mention that because, again, I believe you can improve to whatever level you would like to achieve.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HoneyBunny,

I hope I didn't come across as snarky - that wasn't the intention. although I fear I may have done. It's just a rather odd thing to ask. So remarkably subjective...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think I'm an IO 9.

Therefore probably an 8.

(And about an equivalent 7 on a snowboard).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shlt hot
Not necessarily both at the same time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I could probably pick 3 different numbers on the IO scale, so will refrain from picking the most likely one. But those who have had the privilege of witnessing me ski (and get big air Wink ) are more than welcome to comment.

Much prefer that thread several years ago with various styles / abilities... "ski like a gonk", "sitting on the karzee",... describes a huge portion of those that call themselves "intermediate" (and what I saw yesterday, prolly half of those are self-taught or single lesson only skiers and boarders)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My usual answer to this question: pretty good for a Brit. Nothing special by other nations' standards.

Probably 9 on inside out's scale. I reckon I'll get to level 10 over the next few years but unlikely to ever go higher.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think I'm average, but I pull a lot of chicks.

Men want to be me, women want to be with me.

Or is that Reacher?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman wrote:
I can turn both ways, left and right

its all you need.

Some days I cant ski very well, sometimes I can ski ok. Lots of people out there are not very good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would say the IO Advanced (9) Video level is more like what I would call intermediate, but I'm judging that on the kind of skiing that I see in my local resort where it would be pretty er... meh.

@Marmotte-16
> Giroulles piste

I think you must mean Girolles Piste

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 13-01-14 11:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm better than most who have skiied one season and ski 10-15 days a year. I'm worse than the vast majority of people who go to work on skis.
10-11 on the IO scale. Have a set of skills which I can pick from to deal with a wide range of conditions. Have some days when it really flows but plenty when I'm just competent/workmanlike. Pretty useless in the air.
ski holidays

This thread is worthless without pictures. Anyone claiming 11 or 12 should post pics!

Work skiing I am lead trainer for level 2 for my school, and assist for level 3 (full cert).

Freeride is probably my strength, I'm ok at park (switch 7s and rodeo 5s) but don't ski it much, racing I do ok, moguls I kind of suck.
ski holidays
jimmer, agreed. Very good BTW.
snow report
jimmer, I just don't think you can be as good as you say! clearly from the pic you have managed to hit a bump unexpectedly and ended up hanging upside down in a tree! Laughing
latest report
jimmer, c'mon, anyone can hang upside down from a tree. NehNeh Laughing
snow conditions
Urrgh, too slow.
ski holidays
On the piste I'm an IO 7 or 8. Off-piste I'm an IO 3. In the park I'm an IO 4. In the forum I'm an IO 12. Very Happy
snow report
jimmer,

That picture is only half the story, post a picture of the landing wink
ski holidays
A friend snapped that on an iPhone, so no landing, I did actually over rotate a bit, but got the next one. Also, that is from yesterday, I do have better shots.
snow report
Really good.
snow conditions
The most extreme skier in my office Skullie
ski holidays
Well I'm a bit of a noob on the snow (and on here Wink ). Only had a week on the mountain, with about a day before that at the Snow Centre and MK dome, spread across 3-4 lessons (one of which was a 3-hour one-to-one with Scott @ Inside Out - best money i've ever spent!).

I'd say I'm somewhere between 6 and a 7 on the Inside Out scale. I was very comfortable by the end of my holiday last year tackling all blues and greens in Tignes, and had a go on several reds (although confidence was reduced at times!). Also tackled one of the wider, easier blacks on the penultimate day (Leisse) and was relatively successful (although had a couple of falls).

Heading back out next month, and have 3 one-to-one lessons booked with TDC over the course of the week, so hoping to dust the cobwebs off quickly and make a few improvements. A solid 7 or 8 on the IO scale by the end of the holiday would be fantastic.
ski holidays
I think that it makes sense that you might recognise bits of you in a higher level, but it the level below is a more '100%' type of description...
I can agree with a few of the level 9 statements (confident & experienced - just unfortunately not technically accurate Wink) but level 8 is far more accurate...
it is difficult to assess ourselves - but IO seem to also think I am level 8, so that will do for me!

I am impressed how many are at the higher levels - especially level 11 which includes: 'You are humble' Very Happy

Alasdair
snow report
I am somewhat reminded of the chain of thought that runs - males skiers generally overestimate their ability and whilst ladies tend to under-estimate. sixspeed, are you a guy or a gal?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe I'm not humble enough to be level 12 Sad
latest report
Previously was approaching 11 on the IO scale, would like to think I was a 9/10 now despite being a desk monkey.
I can still:
• Ski any slope
• Ski in control and with confidence using the appropriate turn type/stlye for the situation
• Carve on blues and easy reds on piste skis
• Comfortably ski most things off-piste regardless of what skis I’m on
I can no longer:
• Ski with real confidence on ice which leads to less commitment to the ski edge which leads to less grip which leads to etc.... It’s a vicious circle.
• Carve 100+ skis properly (i.e., not just leaning them over a bit and claiming a carved turn)
• Jump
• Do rotations
I have also started A-framing a bit which is a shame.
snow conditions
I can rut line bumps on 203cm SuperG skis.

What number does that make me?
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
I am somewhat reminded of the chain of thought that runs - males skiers generally overestimate their ability and whilst ladies tend to under-estimate. sixspeed, are you a guy or a gal?

+1

sixspeed a solid level 8 after two weeks on snow? That would be amazing Shocked
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:

A guy... does that mean I'm actually a level 3? Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
under a new name, required to post a video! Very Happy
latest report
sarah wrote:
Megamum wrote:

+1

sixspeed a solid level 8 after two weeks on snow? That would be amazing Shocked

I suppose reading the description on IO's site it seems achievable given how quickly I felt I progressed before. With 9 hours of one-to-one tuition booked across the week I'd hope to at least get myself up to a confident 7, though no harm in aiming high NehNeh
snow report
meh, sorry, I don't believe in Go Pros. And Mrs UANN just looks in disdain when I ask her to use her phone.

Hey ho.
snow report
sixspeed, Well I'll be the first to admit that I've never been the most confident person on the hill, but I've had about 15 weeks on snow, lessons most weeks, inc. 10 hours in a week in a group between 2 and 4 last April and I reckon I'm only an IOS 6. There is an intermidiot thread in BZK that you might find an interesting read from page 1. If you are genuinely a 6-7 then I hate you Laughing Got any video?
snow conditions
I did find I had a relatively high amount of confidence on the trip (unusual for me since I'm not the sportiest of people!). Going along with seasoned ski'ers and snowboarders I was conscious I didn't want to hold anyone up, and I think that helped me push myself and get all around the mountain (as much as possible) which meant I did seem to progress quicker than I expected.

I do have plenty of footage, but only have video from my own helmet cam that doesn't probably show my technique particularly well. It was aimed more along the eyeline as well, as I wanted to capture the views etc, rather than down at my own skis which might have helped for any analysis. I do have some of my mate's footage too so I'll check that and see if there is anything useful to upload. I did ask him a few times to follow me down the mountain, but he didn't do a great job of staying focused on me! I'd be interested in people's thoughts on here so it would be good to find some I can share. Smile
snow report
sixspeed, take a look here read from post 1.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91977
ski holidays
i'm surprised that scale doesnt include any sort of freestyle capabilities.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy