Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
Greetings All Alumni & Novices
It's been a while Embarassed

Stupid Question: Will I still be able to ski after 10 months since last holiday ??

Info: I have skied twice before, 1 week last Dec & then another week in Feb 12
Here is a clip of one of he last days in Feb in Meribel
Please advise how I should proceed/what needs addressing before or in resort
I am going for 8 days in Dec (heres hoping for a big dump before 14th) & expect to have to start at the begining again, or is it like riding a bike.
the 2 weeks I had last season were close together so I still 'had it' rolling eyes as if ..lol

http://youtube.com/v/qMPgZ5KO1DY?list=UU4coOtm3L-lGemrxPicj-Jw

my knees have been giving me a bit of grief since so I haven't been to the fridge since
Any advice or analysis is warmly welcomed

Many Thanks

So, back in 2011 That was my first post on this epic thread.....................Here is a short preview of the journey.... Welcome along. I hope you enjoy yours as much. fC snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/z4xGImn7ZcY?list=UU4coOtm3L-lGemrxPicj-Jw

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 13-10-14 13:17; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From the cats I've had with quite a few guests, it always seems to take about 2 to 3 days to slide at the same quality as your last time on snow. This is all up to you though! It certainly takes me a few days out to remember everything and probably a good 10 to 20 ski days in the season until I start 'improving' again. So you won't forget everything, but it can be quite a lot of fun putting that first turn in wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No comment on the skiing but one of my favourite tunes!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
franzClammer, Franz - I compliment you on your choice of hi-viz attire for that day.

I'm sure you'll be back in the swing of it by lunchtime on the 1st day and if the worst does happen and you ping over some precipice or other they will surely find you asap in those yellow strides, orange bib and electric blue helmet Toofy Grin

where are you off to this year?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ski wear sponsored by Walt Disney Razz
Cheers pmsl

I'm going back to 3 Valleys again
Theres about a decades worth of skiing there by my standards Madeye-Smiley
Hoping to get down a proper red by the end of the week, been looking at Combe Vallon rolling eyes

Ciao
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Even though I now do a fair bit of dry slope training between trips it typically takes me a 10 metres to get back to where I was on the last trip. Then I make some improvements, then I get worse, then I go home. The key here is that at the end of the ski trip am always worse than I was at the start.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flangesax, Re:

Quote:

but it can be quite a lot of fun putting that first turn in

Boy does that resonate with me. This year, as you know, we ended up in Flachau - a good 10 mths since my last ski, and somewhere brand new, I've never started on anything more than a greeny/blue. We went up in that Achterjet lift and my ski 'buddy' announces - right down here then - straight back down the red we've just ridden up. Quite what got into me I've no idea, but I thought 'oh sh*t' didn't say a word and skied it. That first turn, well my heart was in my mouth, but, you know what? I survived Very Happy franzClammer, you will probably go through the same thought process. However, it does seem to be like riding a bike, it might not be tidy, but I can see no reason why you won't be able to still get down what you were getting down previously.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good grief, it's crazy busy in the video and loads of people standing around on the piste not actually skiing. Even with the mad yellow keks it's not always easy to pick out the OP. There's a resort/week I don't want to go to...

Anyway, to the original question, It takes me a day or two to be back on form, but the basics are much like the proverbial 'riding a bike'. I've had an 8-year lay off before without losing much of my previous ability.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

been looking at Combe Vallon

That's as far as I got, but I'm blaming the weather for not skiing it wink I think I could have done it, I've got down Aiguille Rouge in Les Arcs and I doubt it is worse than that. Go for it!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

been looking at Combe Vallon

That's as far as I got, but I'm blaming the weather for not skiing it wink I think I could have done it, I've got down Aiguille Rouge in Les Arcs and I doubt it is worse than that. Go for it!!

Perchance, Did you watch me ski in my videos Puzzled I'm not really Franz Klammer ...lol

http://youtube.com/v/ABiXkxkN1Dc&list=UU4coOtm3L-lGemrxPicj-Jw&index=8&feature=plcp
<iframe></iframe>

http://youtube.com/v/TIMIEj9m21Y&feature=channel&list=UL
snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
franzClammer, I reckon you've achieved your Intermidiot goal Toofy Grin Funny and worrying all at the same time! Laughing Laughing Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
franzClammer, Laughing bad luck on those slalom gates and I think you made the right choice in mowing down that (other) idiot who stopped in the middle of the piste
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gatecrasher wrote:
franzClammer, I reckon you've achieved your Intermidiot goal Toofy Grin Funny and worrying all at the same time! Laughing Laughing Shocked

+1 Laughing Laughing Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think you might be at the intermediate stage I label: MBTB

red 27, the guy down the slope has right of way. I agree he's a plonker but he's still entitled to stop where he wishes without getting clattered. FYI: it looks like the inured party was an intermediate waiting for a beginner upslope judging by the way he was skiing so it might not be his choice to stop. tbf, he was waiting at the side of the slope before he launched off so he was keeping out of the way initially. And no, it's not me - too thin.

Oh sorry, "More Balls Than Brains"

Do quite a bit of flex and fitness training prior to hitting the slopes, keep your hands closer together and stop sitting.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
franzClammer wrote:
Greetings All Alumni & Novices
It's been a while Embarassed

Stupid Question: Will I still be able to ski after 10 months since last holiday ??

Info: I have skied twice before, 1 week last Dec & then another week in Feb 12
Here is a clip of one of he last days in Feb in Meribel
Please advise how I should proceed/what needs addressing before or in resort
I am going for 8 days in Dec (heres hoping for a big dump before 14th) & expect to have to start at the begining again, or is it like riding a bike.
the 2 weeks I had last season were close together so I still 'had it' rolling eyes as if ..lol
my knees have been giving me a bit of grief since so I haven't been to the fridge since
Any advice or analysis is warmly welcomed

Many Thanks

I re-started skiing in 2009 after about 20 years. I still remembered most things, but I forgot 2 very important ones:

1. My muscles are not the same as they were 20 years ago, nor is my resistance to fatigue the same after 20 years of little physical activity.
2. The snow does get softer and moved into "drifts"/moguls by the end of the day.

End result: 2 broken ribs. End of 09/10 season.

I took things easier last year. A bit more prep, better equipment (rented better skis) and so no injuries. Stretching, some cycling and a bit of muscle training go a long way. Also, get the equipment into shape - or make sure you have the right one for your level.

Enjoy your next ski day!
ski holidays
franzClammer, Im glad you are enjoying skiing and seem to like to push the boundries.

Like others have said, you will be OK...mostly, but stay humble.

Please try and push the boundries when its safe to do so. As you see in your crash incident - other skiers don't do what you expect, and you havn't the experience yet to either read the mountain and body language etc of other slope users. When confronted with the collison course, you also don't have the experience to make last seccond change of direction.

I have been skiing for ages, and my plan is always to aim for the biggest gap...to give other slope users as much space as I can - even on a massive wide almost empty piste, I will be over the other side. And there will always be surprises. Particularly beginners, bladers, boarders, teens and tots all do odd things and change direction suddenly in unexpected ways - even without crashing themselves.

Work on being slow. Its harder than you think - to make slow effortless turns in contol and ready for anything even on an almost flat slope is something I see instructors do...and I want to ski like that.

The key is to do lots of (safe) skiing. Have fun. R.
ski holidays
oldmancoyote, +1 and very similar to my history (ACL damaged).
I would just add that lessons from a good instructor (and to practice what they teach) is v important.
Once you find out how to use your edges, it's a whole different sport Very Happy

franzClammer, the bloopers were hilarious (when the ski slid down the slope I PMSL). I hope others put theirs up.
I'll have to get myself a GOPRO for my next trip.
snow conditions
franzClammer, not sure about anything but love the skier taking the snowboarder out at 26 secs into your video Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
franzClammer, Yes, I'd taken a look in your videos. I think you've got more balls than I have, no doubt literally as well as metaphorically. For example, I wouldn't have put myself into those trees. I think if I were you I would watch the point where balls/confidence possibly overtakes the skills that I might need to cope with a certain scenario, I wouldn't want to see you injure yourself or others along the way. You are clearly having fun with it though which is probably of greatest importance. N.B. Yes, I had already worked out that you probably weren't the great man himself wink
ski holidays
Thanks for the responses
FYI: I hire the GoPro from Andy (Snowhead), it's quite reasonable & the results are priceless snowHead
contact@andystarkey.co.uk
I'm extending my dog walks n knee strengthening now, NOTHING motivates like a booked ski hol NehNeh
only 9wks to go...planning session at Hemel with Inside Out if I can squeeze it in at 1/2 term
Tell me I'm mad but we're going by coach (Skimeribel) 8 days actual skiing, snowHead
Ciao
snow conditions
franzClammer wrote:

Tell me I'm mad but we're going by coach
Yes.
Quote:
8 days actual skiing,
OK, slightly less mad.
ski holidays
Went to the Hintertux Glacier for first skiing in about 18 months (OH had bad knee 1 season followed by saving for wedding the following season). Both lifts let you out onto reds, that you have to get down before arriving at T-Bars to get to the blue (which wasn't actually that nice a piste either!). First turn was interesting. but once it happened I felt better (until I misjudged the first attempt at a T-bar!)

Skiing came back fairly well, although summer snow is quite wet when things go wrong!
snow conditions
30 years ago I came back after a 20 year gap (having skied aged 5-14). Took me about a week to get back somewhere near where I had been, though I was reasonably OK after a day or so.
latest report
franzClammer, to quote from Tiswas, "This is what they want". Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Made me chuckle no end. If only I could borrow some of your balls...I tend to be a little bit too cautious when skiing. It'll soon come flooding back once you are on the piste, although as Megamum says, the first turn can be a bit daunting. Don't try anywhere too steep or narrow to start with (sorry, bleedin' obvious I know).
snow conditions
dobby wrote:
franzClammer, to quote from Tiswas, "This is what they want". Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Made me chuckle no end. If only I could borrow some of your balls...I tend to be a little bit too cautious when skiing. It'll soon come flooding back once you are on the piste, although as Megamum says, the first turn can be a bit daunting. Don't try anywhere too steep or narrow to start with (sorry, bleedin' obvious I know).

Smile
Cheers
The obvious is always worth pointing out.......serotonin often obscures it snowHead
latest report
Skiing is a bit like riding a bike, so you should be OK after the first few turns on your next trip. The best way to proceed would be to join a ski school for a week - you should be able to ski down red slopes by the end of it. You will be intermediate once you stop dragging your poles and dropping your weight back and learn to use your edges. Once you do, it gets much easier. Also, try not to bend at the waist - it doesn't really help to bring weight forward, it actually locks your legs and makes controlling skis even harder. So maybe you can add working on your core muscles to your preparation routine. But overall for two-week skier your are not doing too badly and you don't seem to have much fear. As long as you don't push the boundariers too far for your level and avoid injury you will progress.
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ski wear sponsored by Walt Disney Razz
Cheers pmsl

I'm going back to 3 Valleys again
Theres about a decades worth of skiing there by my standards Madeye-Smiley
Hoping to get down a proper red by the end of the week, been looking at Combe Vallon rolling eyes

Ciao

Hi franzClammer,
I think you will be fine skiing on Combe Vallon. Did it twice this year back in Jan.
I skied it on the third day of my fourth week (of my entire skiing life)
Found it easier than Combe Saulire, which I did it on my third ski trip week (last year) and found it quite intimidating. Mainly because of the moguls at the top.
Since you seem to be able to go off-pist, even with some difficulties wink you should not have any problem on Combe Vallon at all.
There are some really nice reds in 3V, for example the Creux in Courchevel and Jerusalem in St Martin, which are long and wide. And I do think you will enjoy them very much.
ski holidays
you are David Goldberg and I claim my 5 shillings (or whatever)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ed123 wrote:
you are David Goldberg and I claim my 5 shillings (or whatever)

Puzzled Sorry you've lost me Embarassed
????
ski holidays
Snowpie wrote:

Since you seem to be able to go off-pist, even with some difficulties wink you should not have any problem on Combe Vallon at all.
There are some really nice reds in 3V, for example the Creux in Courchevel and Jerusalem in St Martin, which are long and wide. And I do think you will enjoy them very much.

Thanks for the tip, that's what I wanted to hear Mr. Green

Megamum Had a little go at Hemel on Weds & the aformentioned "balls" seem to be in working order, Blush Embarassed
So Mottaret here we come !..................Watch this space for footage of Combe Vallon at Xmas snowHead and the obligatory bloopers
Ciao
latest report
franzClammer, Give the red run Mouflon a whirl when in Mottaret... usually in very good nick as noone skis it. wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Megamum Had a little go at Hemel on Weds & the aformentioned "balls" seem to be in working order,

That is possibly TMI and do we need a background story............................?

Or can we assume it is skiing that you are referring to wink
snow conditions
franzClammer, just to throw in a word of caution. The Combe Vallon has a long, steep bit soon after the start. With lots of traffic and little new snow this can get more than a bit polished. (The result of too many intermidiots sliding around on it Wink ). If conditions are at all difficult then I would suggest you give it a miss.
snow report
altis, I've heard tales about Combe Vallon myself - and the reason I didn't have a crack at it was due to a lack of what I deemed decent conditions - recent, likely to be bashed snow and decent vis certainly weren't going to be up there when I had the time. Isn't there a section that is renowned for moguls too?
snow conditions
Megamum, yer, I recall icey and bumpy. It's the kind of place where, if you fall, you could end up hurting yourself badly. Problem with the Vallon is that both runs are fairly dark reds and there are no other, bail out options. Treat with caution.
latest report
altis, so the time to do it being in good light conditions, early on after decent snowfall, with fresh legs and after a VERY large drink eh?

Dark red is worth bearing in mind - def. something that needs to be tacked when I am on a 'confidence high!' By all accounts I am told that I probably have enough technique to get down (and that just means 'get down' with absolutely no finesse) most decently pisted surfaces. However, if I am likely to experience more difficult conditions then I need to make sure I have the skills to cope before I try out something that has a reputation for not taking prisoners. So thanks for the warning. Are there any reds in the area which I may have skied (particularly in the VT valley) that you might say if you got down X you could probably have a crack Combe Vallon - is it particuarly narrow at the top too?.
ski holidays
Bof, your taxing the memory cells now. I'd suggest exploring all the options of the Funitel Peclet then, when you're happy, head up to Col. This is possibly the most similar to the Vallon runs. It's often icy and can be bumpy but, in my memory, less so than the Combe de Vallon.

Because of its height and location the Vallon seems to generate a lot of traffic and the runs deteriorate quickly. IMV, Campagnol is possibly a bit easier but it all depends on the conditions.
ski holidays
altis, thank you that's actually more useful as a concept than you might imagine, as I have seen col and also know that it is another one that I have never contemplated having a bash at yet. I got down lac blanc from the Furnitel Peclet a few of years ago in an absolutely 'they will close the F. Peclet any moment now' type gale and just about froze my melons off, but I've never had a go at Col yet or been up any higher off the top of F. Peclet- perhaps I need to sort out 'bumps' in ski school this year before I contemplate either col or Vallon.
latest report
Megamum, I wouldn't rush up to the col either if I were you. Hated it every time I've done it, it was one to get down rather than enjoy, on the occasions when I've found myself on it. For exactly the reasons already given.... Icy, chopped, etc etc. Not one I'd recommend for the fun of it.

Just my humble opinion obviously.
snow report
Schuss in Boots, if you are technically skilled enough to make it down, yet still hating it - that's a big incentive for me to not try it yet, as I know I am probably not skilled enough to take on its bumps - and I've seen it from afar with what look like stonking bumps!!.

I just worry about the OP injuring themselves. It's one thing to have the balls to have a go at something, but over-confidence sometimes isn't a direct replacement for skills and if Vallon is acting up the day they try it then over-confidence may not be sufficient.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy