Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Give a realistic opinion of how good a skier you are

Poster: A snowHead
Obviously we can all ski like Glen Plake/Candide Thovex/Bode Miller etc if we want to, but realistically, honestly - how good are you?

I've been skiing since I was 15, so I have 25 years' experience and God knows how many weeks skiing under my belt ... but I'm firmly on the intermediate plateau.

I'm good when the conditions are nice and it's sunny, but get me on a nasty black and I fall apart Sad

I've had loads of lessons, and still do (had 4 hours of moguls lessons at the EOSB) but I just have confidence issues.

I do wish I'd done a season at some point but it'll never happen now.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Better than I was, not as good as I will be and probably never will be as good as I would like to be.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm crap, but I have fun
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm frightfully good on a beautifully groomed piste in the sun with my music playing. Not nearly so clever when it gets more challenging. I was once so cack-footed going down a (not very difficult) black run which was a bit lumpy (nothing you could really call "moguls") that I actually stopped and swapped skis on my feet. Felt foolish but was desperate; fortunately I was the only person on the piste so nobody saw me do it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am as good as I can get, but still try to get better - just ask myself how long I still can try. Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good enough to know that I'm not especially good. I sometimes ski with people who are genuinely outstanding skiers and is is humbling and inspiring in equal measure. On Inside Out's ability scale I'm a comfortable 11.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pretty average I reckon. Not enough lessons and not enough fitness training to make me any good. I too ski like a God on perfectly groomed pistes in glorious sunshine (no music though pam w, wink ) . I don't really have a problem skiing blacks although probably nul points for style. However, once the snow gets over ankle deep my technique goes out of the window and I lose some confidence.

It's great fun though Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Wishing Ali a good year
My skiing was taken apart (no exaggeration) in 1975 by the legendary ski teacher Ali Ross, and my skiing - entirely thanks to him - is substantially better than it was prior to 1975. In fact, I most likely wouldn't be skiing today if it wasnt for Ali, because I'd have got bored with it ... or given up because of injury or something.

A little profile of Ali: http://www.skibetterwithali.co.uk/profiles/
His courses: http://www.alirossskiingclinics.com/
I thoroughly recommend meeting him! In my case, it was pure luck - BASI training course, Cairngorm, spring 1975. I could have been allocated any trainer, but got the most inspired and innovative one (that might be considered controversial with his then colleagues/rivals!) of the lot.

Whichever ski teacher you choose - and find the best - stick with the programme. If you're reasonably confident on skis already, devote at least 2-4 weeks of your life to intensive training (and get yourself reasonably fit first). This'll be the investment of your life, because it will liberate you and fascinate you, and protect you from injury. What's my skiing standard? BASI classified it as 'grade 3' in 1975, but that was on the old scale.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a regular at Espace Killy (because it's where my friends want to go) and I reckon among the piste skiers there I'm almost exactly average. I ski at average speed with averagely good/bad style. Possibly after 45 years (with long gaps) this isn't much of an achievement but there you go.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thoroughly mediocre.

I'm pretty happy anywhere on the hill without mandatory hucks, and if the snow is nice (and especially in powder) I would say I can charge reasonably hard, though in nasty snow I'm a lot more conservative. I think I'm relatively better off-piste than on. I'm scared of the park.

I'm fairly regularly humbled by some of the people I get to ski with around here.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 12-01-14 10:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HoneyBunny, may I ask the motivation behind your question?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HoneyBunny, I am like you, been told I am better than I think I am but have confidence issues Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll tell you in a couple of weeks when I'm back!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm good enough to ski from one restaurant to the next snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can't believe that nobody has said it yet, so I will:

I am the best skier on the mountain.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 12-01-14 9:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Touchguru wrote:
Better than I was, not as good as I will be and probably never will be as good as I would like to be.

+1
snow report
Like rob said, you know when you see truly good ability, but that's not me. I can get down most stuff but aspire to that effortless smooth action of the skilled.
snow report
I started skiing as a kid on school trips, then a couple of uni trips, then a full season working for a TO. I had a fair few lessons over this time and was reasonably competent as a result, probably IO level 8.

Then I stopped. Student debt, then mortgage meant virtually no skiing for several years. I managed a couple of trips in a 14 year period, then cancer struck, after which my fitness and flexibility was rubbish and my ability to ski somewhat compromised. I suppose when I started skiing again at this point I should have had some lessons but I was too self conscious of my health issues.

However, after three seasons of having two ski trips I have managed to reclaim some of my former ability. I'm back to a point where I can get down pretty much anything and last season I even picked up a bit more speed and had the opportunity to try a bit of powder, much fun! Might be an IO level 7?

I will never be anything more than a middle aged typical Brit recreational skier, but for me the main points are that I absolutely love it and I'm in control and not unnecessarily endangering myself or anyone else on the mountain.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 12-01-14 10:10; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
My skiing is adequate. There are moments in time when I know I've performed way above my usual standard and they are invariably when:

conditions are good (both snow and vis)
I'm skiing with people much better than me
I've stopped thinking about it and have M'dTFU
ski holidays
This is exactly the worst question to ask a British person, all you'll get is a whole bunch of modesty back.

Personally I'm okay, probably ski better than most people on the hill but no where near as well as I would like which is why I'm constantly trying to ski better and more confidently. I'm totally rubbish in the park.
ski holidays
Only 2 weeks of skiing under my belt, so I'm a bit rubbish but I'm improving fast and most importantly having an absolute ball! Smile
latest report
InsideOut skiing level 10 (10.5 on a good day..)

As far as on piste and up to moderately steep off piste I can pretty much deal with anything thrown at me, helped by 3 epiphany moments of instruction in the last 15 years (1 in Tignes, 1 in Chamonix (off piste skiing week) and 1 in Andorra (ski lessons in a week where it completely flukily dumped 1m of snow overnight so suddenly all the runs were in deep powder)

1. Tignes- worked out how to be pretty adaptable to all run conditions by keeping upper body relatively perpindicular to the slope, focusing in distance and using the lower body more as shock absorbers, moguls became a lot less daunting.
2. Chamonix- realising off piste not too daunting if you just concentrate on staying balanced, learning how to do jump turns and more controlled long turns in deep snow.
3. Andorra- full week of piste based powder skiing helped refine my way of keeping balanced and trusting the skis to do the work for me clearing a way underneath the surface rather than forcing the matter.

Areas for further improvement- working out how people clear slalom gates without injuring themselves, tidying up carving technique.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 12-01-14 10:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I've reached the level that I wanted to, and have plateaued there. This means I can go up any lift, and then come down any slope (althought the steepest red and blacks aren't as pretty as the blues). My aim was always to reach a level that I'm not intimidated by the slopes, and can therefore appreciate the scenery around me. I don't pine for speed, or even for beautifully linked carving turns... Just a safe and steady slide down a snowy slope. I just wish my wife and daughter could get to that level, then we'd be able to enjoy the freedom of the mountain together.
snow conditions
One word sums up my skiing - Inconsistent Embarassed (due to confidence issues).

pam w, on that Giroulles run I described elsewhere, when I completely bottled it (sheet ice, with lumps and very heavy/fast traffic, I just couldn't make that turn, not even a fecking snowplough turn, I was so beside myself. I took off my skis and turned them around. There were others (several hundred I think) on that piste but I didn't care at that point Laughing

I would say that my skiing is heaps better when I ski with friends Confused Maybe because I'm not keeping an eye on my teens. Though they don't really need me to 'keep an eye' at all anymore!
snow conditions
jamescollings, it's very liberating to know that you can go any lift/piste. Though I have found myself slipping back into quietly avoiding potential trouble Toofy Grin
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
I think I'm relatively better off-piste than on.

I think I do better in conditions that some skiers find difficult, I'm totally fine in a white out, flat light is a bit sh|t but not a day ender, I love slush, untouched light powder is fun but when it's heavy I find it much easier when it's been tracked out a bit. Ice is my nemesis and I turn into Bambi on it, all splayed legs and scared eyes. In order of easiest to ski I would pick fresh, untouched snow on a black (fun), a moguled black (tough but loads of places to rest Smile ) then an icy red (I'm gonna freeze and be sh|t), I might cry if I end up on an icy black.

On the IO scale I would pick 7 except I have been skiing bumps, off piste and variable for ages (skiing in Scotland does that) and I passed my level 1 in the summer.

Oh and I can't carve at all, rubbish at it, going to go back to skinny skis for a while I think Embarassed
snow report
meh wrote:
This is exactly the worst question to ask a British person, all you'll get is a whole bunch of modesty back.

Unless you've only skied for a few weeks when you think you are amazing. I had a moguls group lesson completely ruined by a young guy who had "skied for 6 years", 6 weeks then and who just fell over constantly. You had to indicate your skiing level when signing up for the lessons and he never showed any signs of thinking he was in above his head, even during the lesson when it was obvious he couldn't even do the most basic things the instructor was asking us to do.
snow report
Quote:

and clarky999, sums it up well.
At the stage where we just get off any lift and ski where we like, heading for what looks nice and with the least folks. ( this in North America) No need for hucks and cliffs and not the biggest fan of moguls but do em if need to, rather than choice tbh deffo not a park rat. Style probably isnt always there but always having fun.
No confidence issues which is one of the main things I think, and with a variety of turns available you can get down virtually anything, which to us allows the freedom to roam Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Surprised myself that I feel I'm at the IO level 8. I too have confidence issues and am told I'm a good skiier, better than I realise! My hubby plays roller & ice hockey 3x + week and in addition to having skiied from the age of about 10 he can confidently get down anything but isn't ever actively looking to work on technique, he just sort of has it! I on the other hand didnt start until 5 years ago, now have about 7 weeks under my belt and am constantly looking to improve my technique and ability to push myself to be better. My main aim has been to know I can get down a mountain being able to move and stop safely and without having freak outs over a gradient, the light or the snow conditions.

Gladly I can say that I think I'm there and I enjoy our yearly hols more and more each time as I have caught my hubby up and we can explore new terrain and challenges together. I skiied "proper" off piste in whistler for the first time on honeymoon last feb and now just love it having initially been totally over my head skiing crud in these whacking great bowls. Proud to feel I've done it and now can keep refining and exploring new things, it's amazing! Very Happy also find it weird I'm more active in seeing out moguls to work on and love hitting blacks on powder days. Surprising myself all the time tho this year I'm hoping to get some more tuition to get me a bit further in Les Arcs.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
.. realistically, honestly - how good are you?..

I run a booking system for a resort heli operator which asks the same question, and it's interesting to compare how people answer with their actual on-snow ability. Males tend to overestimate their skill, where as women do the opposite. On average, USA people say they're better than they are, where as Euros tend to underestimate their ability. These are all supposed to be people who can ski, yet there are huge differences in their ability.

I'm not sure how you'd actually measure ability. I don't play in parks, so to me there are two aspects I'm interested in: (a) on piste; (b) powder. In both cases I assess other people two ways. First off I watch their first turn - if their stance is poor or they can't turn, I know there's a problem. My second criterion is "can they keep up". So I guess my own assessment system boils down to: "good enough", or "not good enough".

Me? Well I've spent much of my life on plastic or snow - if I couldn't ride, then that would be quite an achievement. On the other hand my surfing still sucks: I need to spend a good year or two living on a beach to fix that.
snow report
I don't think I'm very good despite 18 weeks over 8 years, but my aim was to be able to look at a piste map and say " let's go to there, have lunch there, and back that way", I can get down almost anything but am still scared, I rarely fall over, my self preservation is good, but I have no style or grace and I don't really care, I love it! snowHead
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
HoneyBunny, may I ask the motivation behind your question?

Purely out of interest! No ulterior motive.

On that Inside Out scale I'd put myself at a 7. I could be an 8 if I didn't lose confidence on the steep/icy/bumpy bits.

I had one amazing holiday at Val d'Isere two years ago where my confidence was sky high and I happily skied everything. It was a combination of good new skis and great spring conditions, but I've never managed to have a week like it since.

The only way for me to get better now would be lessons, lessons, lessons - but on a week's holiday I just like skiing around with friends.

I think next year I'll do a snowHead bash and have some tuition.
ski holidays
For me it is just about enjoying it, finding some really nice runs and enjoying skiing them. Only skied twice before so this Feb will be my 3rd trip. Was really pleased with my level of skiing at the end of last years trip to Serre Chevalier. Hoping I pick up where I left off.
snow conditions
I did a gap programme at the age of 18 and my skiing has changed a lot since then. My on piste tekkers has regressed a lot and but off piste in deep and variable snow I'm way better. I'd give myself a 10.7 on the inside out scale.

Also rungsp, I can't believe you tried to claim that. I'm a waaaay better skier than you.
latest report
No where near as good as I would like to be - as as I started skiing in my late twenties I suspect I will never get there!
Good enough to get down just about anything safely and in control - but anything bumpy/icy/deep and it is likely to be slow going with little style.
NOT good enough to ski fast and aggressively, and struggle to carve consistently.
Concentrate on being in control - maybe too much - on the piste.
latest report
I did a gap programme at the age of 18 and my skiing has changed a lot since then. My on piste tekkers has regressed a lot and but off piste in deep and variable snow I'm way better. I'd give myself a 10.7 on the inside out scale.

Also rungsp, I can't believe you tried to claim that. I'm a waaaay better skier than you.
snow conditions
I am the best skier on the mountain, when I have the mountain to myself.
Other than that I get to go everywhere I want to go at the speed I want to go and that's really all I care about.
snow conditions
Ok bearing in mind what I posted higher up I've had a look at the IO skiing levels. When I got down to 7 I would have said yes that's me. Then I read the level 8 description and that seems more like me, certainly the description of mogul skiing is exactly how I do it. I have no idea if I'm carving or what my skiing looks like. I have no interest in taking an instructors course Little Angel
ski holidays
Another 10 - 11 on the Inside Out scale. Been skiing for 30 years, did a little racing at uni but took a break from all sports from 2002 - 2007, primarily due to a motorcycle crash and resulting split pelvis.

Now, I'm not skiing quite as hard or as fast as I used to, but that's more down to fitness than confidence or ability. My fitness is something I hope to work on, but I just never seem to find the time :/
snow report
Something clicked on my third week when I was doing laps of the Grattalu in Tignes, and gradually my confidence has improved since then. I used to be carefully checking the map before every uplift to make sure there was an easy route down, but I don't bother about that now, I can go wherever I want.

I now find myself actively hunting out black runs, and anything with an 'expert skiers only' sign means everyone else took the alternative piste Cool I'm not the tidiest skier there, but I'll get down in one piece and I won't be last. Going to Kronplatz this year where there are a few long blacks, so I might get some more steeps tuition (any ski school tips appreciated).

Moguls are still a bit of an issue, especially the massive ones you find on itinerary runs. Tried some of these for the first time in Ischgl last year, and though quite nervous at first, by the end of the week the others weren't waiting quite so long for me. I'd get tuition on these as well, but I don't think I've ever seen a mogul in the Dolomites!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy