Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

so, you don't currently wear a helmet when on the slopes but.. answer if you do not wear a helmet...

Poster: A snowHead
Well if the helmet was split from top to bottom it's a fair guess. My brother had a motorbike accident (entirely the car driver's fault and he got a fair bit of compensation but the driver didn't get prosecuted, despite two brilliant witnesses, because he knew the Chief Constable... ) where part of his journey across the road was on his head. The damage to his helmet suggested that it had saved his life. He did fracture his skull, but only a hairline, not a problem. The smashed leg was more of a problem.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, motorcycle helmets are a whole different ball game. Try and destroy one with your bare hands.....no chance. Try the same with a ski lid? It wouldn't last 30 seconds. I don't think I could disagree with helmet use if people were suggesting using something as strong as a motorcycle helmet.

I am more worried about my knees when skiing. When it come to bikes? I wouldn't consider getting my leg over without all the protection I could get Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would find elsewhere to ski, I find skiing with a helmet on is somewhere between skiing with your head in an oven or like sex using a bicycle innertube as a condom.
I would never argue the point that IF something hard hits my head then a helmet will prevent or reduce an injury but I know from the effect that wearing a helmet had on my skiing that if I wore a helmet, then I would be much more likely to need one. I also found a noticable reduction in my skiing ability and technique.

In another thread there was mention of a helmet with built in headphones!, what is the point of using protective equipment if it effectively makes you deaf to your surroundings, the scatching, calls and clattering of an out of control / fallen skier approaching from behind?, "Oi mate look out for that avalanche!", (a bit marginal I know!), the sound of snow vehicles etc etc.

Motorcycling and skiing are actually very different risk scenarios, I've had two very minor offs on my bike in seven years, neither involved hitting my head but in most cases if you fall off a motorbike, the surroundings are all hard and you are very likely to hit your head on something hard at high speed, recreational motorcycling / commuting is not at all energetic or dynamic compared to skiing. motorcycling is a low probability high consequence activity where a helmet is not that uncomfortable. ( a bee in the eye at 70 mph is very sore!!!)

I couldn't even count the number of falls I've had skiing, none of which I have not got up and skied away from, the surroundings are more forgiving
Skiing is a high probability / low consequence activity where I personally find a helmet very uncomfortable

What winds me up is people like my obnoxious witch of a sister in law that feels she should lecture me on not wearing a helmet (she had a bad cycling accident when she was not looking where she was going and ran into the back of a parked car, if you're that dumb, then yes you should wear a helmet!), as well as other comments I had last season "can't beleive you don't wear a helmet when you ski like that" etc

a
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forgetting the whole safety angle for a second, there is a huge element of habit in wearing a helmet. If you've skied for years without wearing one then I can completely understand that it would feel uncomfortable and restrictive. I've only been skiing for 2 years, so I've used a helmet from day one - hence it feels completely normal. Me and my young nephews, as newbies, all wear helmets and probably always will. My brother, a skier of 20 years, doesn't and probably won't ever.

To use car seatbelts as an analogy - I've grown up wearing a seatbelt, and know no different, to the point that not to wear a seatbelt would feel a bit strange and uncomfortable. Whereas my dad didn't stop moaning about how uncomfortable and restrictive they were when the seatbelt laws first came in.

I'm a bit of a newbie here, so I might get shot down in flames for saying something stupid or obvious Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Handy Turnip,
Quote:

I'm a bit of a newbie here, so I might get shot down in flames for saying something stupid or obvious

Not at all, you make a lot of sense, I drove for a year or two before the seatbelt law came in but I don't find seatbelts itchy, sweaty or otherwise uncomfortable.
If ski helmets were as lightweight and well ventilated as a cycling helmet, I would be slightly more inclined to wear one, not that I wear a helmet when cycling with the family on woodland trails, I put it on when I'm on my own doing the fast downhill sections but it hangs on the handlebars for the long, slow uphill drags.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ansta1 wrote:
over 400 views and only 1 sensible response. does that say something?

That you can't tell a sensible response when you receive one, or perhaps that your question wasn't particularly sensible?

What would you do if the rules said you must have a full face helmet instead of these silly fashionable things? This is actually a rhetorical question.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I learned to ski and even when I took it up again later in life there were no helmets. Later it was mostly young people who were beginners, so it made you look like a beginner. Even 10 years ago I knew no seasoned off piste skiers who wore one and even now almost no guides do. However I now see loads of good skiers wearing them and in America the gnarly skiers all do, I'm told. Even over here my off piste companions have mostly taken it up. I bought one myself in May. If I were a piste skier I might have done it earlier. Remains to be seen if I'll get used to wearing it (I normally even take off my beanie when it is hot). The only time I hired one in the USA I gave up after a hour - but admittedly the fit wasn't all it might have been. I think I'll take out the ear covers when it is warm. It is one more thing to pack, though, when I already find it hard to fit everything.

Edit. Oh yes, I didn't answer the question. Yes of course I'd wear one if it were compulsory rather than ski elsewhere. But I'd back any effort to reverse the ban. I don't usually wear my cycling helmet though I know I should (and I'm much more sure that that would make me safer - I'm less sure about ski helmets as my direct experience has been that injuring my neck is more likely).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 6-10-13 12:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In reply to OP, yes I would wear a helmet if compulsory. Interesting still how what is essentially a freedom of choice debate gets guys soo mean so quickly.

I would guess long term, helmets will either fit into 'what was all the fuss about' league of other standardised safety equipment eg ski brakes, release bindings, or someone will come up with compelling research that helmets do harm. In the absence of the latter, quite happy to protect me noggin, and quite happy for others to take the risk 'cos it messes up their bouffant or something..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"If ski helmets were as lightweight and well ventilated as a cycling helmet"...

Not quite, but I have found wearing my new one has bevome a habit as it is so comfortable whereas my old one was reserved for racing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's like when you go to Magalouf, and see all the fat middle aged men on mopeds in shorts, nothing else.

I always remark how cool they look with out a helmet, they must think this us the case? It is possible you might look at them and question how cool a fat man on a moped with no protective clothes is, but then many winter sports people spend time and money on what they think looks cool.

After all one persons cool is another's scruffy/pretentious/ garish etc
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tangowaggon wrote:
like sex using a bicycle innertube as a condom.
That would be silly, how would you get home without an inner tube. Puzzled
I thought helmet threads were a no go area . I can't believe I'm daft enough to be reading it on a nice sunny morning Toofy Grin Going outside now.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Handy Turnip, Spot on Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having smacked my head off numerous icy bits of slope, I am thankful for mine; even if it is slightly uncomfortable.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
always wear a helmet...after years of playing rugby and numerous concussions and visits to casualty to get sewn up those bangs must had bashed some sense into me plus being folicaly challenged its wamer Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So should helmets be worn in rugby, which is obviously much more dangerous to heads than skiing?
snow conditions
There has been lots of hoo-ha recently in both rugby (most don't but some wear skull caps) and American Football (where everyone wears helmets) about concussion and in particular players not being given the time to recover from it.
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
So should helmets be worn in rugby, which is obviously much more dangerous to heads than skiing?
Well, if it's good enough for the best player in Britain and Ireland ...

snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
"If ski helmets were as lightweight and well ventilated as a cycling helmet"...

Not quite, but I have found wearing my new one has bevome a habit as it is so comfortable whereas my old one was reserved for racing.

In terms of the weight a lot comes down to the helmet you chose, I have a sweet trooper and it really is very light weight but I also accept that isnt a cheap helmet.
latest report
Quote:

Not a serious question. Helmets in Rugby are clearly dangerous to others. Skull caps are for those who want their ears to remain normal and are padded, not rigid. In gridiron, collisons are less random and play breaks up as soon as there is a tackle.
A bandeau was my choice most days, untill hair loss intervened. After that a full head cover is more or less compulsory (or sun block), but having acquired the helmet habit I find there is no real issue wearing one, but I do not see it as necessary to make it compulsory.
latest report
beequin wrote:

... but having acquired the helmet habit I find there is no real issue wearing one, but I do not see it as necessary to make it compulsory.

Seconded - it's obviously worth taking the time and trouble to find one that fits comfortably. I decided last year that my reasons for not getting a helmet were a bit lame so I shopped around a bit and found one to my liking - its comfortable and light enough that I hardly notice the thing. I wouldn't make them compulsory though - the benefits seem clear to me but not so dramatic that they warrant new laws or regulations.
latest report
My replacement lid arrived today, a Cebe Stream, only 350g or 410g (I suspect depending on removing the ear flaps). Much more comfy for a baldy Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

I choose not to out of habit and comfort.

my experience is that a lid is (now) more comfy than a hat, especially when it's -29 out there on a chairlift with a bracing wind

only time I've ever overheated wearing one was the time it was +8C, and that meant taking lid and gloves off in gondolas (prolly would have wanted to take beanie off too tbh).

lid debate still a hot topic on road bike forums, but MTBers all wear them. last time i posted on a roadbike forum about wearing a lid (in reference to riding on the road on the way to the forest trails), other forummers declared me a freak for wearing a lid on the road, because it's not helping their cause for optional lid wearing. Obviously MTBers are supposed to carry them like a handbag or something when riding thru town on the way to the forest.
ski holidays
i remember a rather smart back bottom indy driver saying that hans devices were a waste of time and he wouldnt wear one..........then went and broke his neck in a smash that killed him!!! bravado sometimes bites you in the a**e
latest report
I would but I wear one anyway... Coming from an MTB background where helmet wearing is the norm I felt very exposed going down a hill quickly without one when I first started skiing. Least it protects you from other people's ski carrying incompetance in the gondola queue if nothing else.

Sometimes on sunny days I am tempted to ditch it. Normally just take the ear flaps out then.
snow report
I'm bi-helmet: wear one on my snowboard, but not on my skis. Maybe because I wear armoured underpants and kneepads too on the board, as impacts seem to be part of life, particularly the back of the head on ice. On the skis it seems a bit harder to get my head to hit the snow before the general mess of skis, legs, back bottom and arms have slowed my head down a bit.

So I'd probably just wear the helmet on skis as well if push came to shove.
ski holidays
Maybe the 'uncomfortable' brigade have a head like Birkenhead or maybe they are just prejudiced antediluvian to55ers.
ski holidays
Quote:

Maybe the 'uncomfortable' brigade have a head like Birkenhead or maybe they are just prejudiced antediluvian to55ers.

Offensive comments like this could only come from someone that is such a cr@p skier, they spend most of their time face down anyway.
snow conditions
beequin wrote:
Quote:

Not a serious question

It is a serious, albeit rhetorical, question. The (anecdotal) level of head injury quoted for rugby was orders of magnitude greater than for skiing. The game may well be impractical, or even more dangerous, with helmets; fair enough. But if it's an acceptable risk to go helmetless for 200,000 odd rugby players in England, then I can't understand how uptight some people get about the decision of some skiers to go helmetless for their relatively safe pastime.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tangowaggon, ..... or perhaps they actually just find helmets uncomfortable. rolling eyes Why does this upset you so much that you have to be abusive?

Wear a helmet if you like. Or don't. Your head, your call. I fail to see why people feel the need either to justify their decision or to force their choice onto others. Stop interfering with everyone else's lives and get on with your own. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
MogulMonkey wrote:
always wear a helmet...after years of playing rugby and numerous concussions and visits to casualty to get sewn up those bangs must had bashed some sense into me plus being folicaly challenged its wamer Laughing

For clarity if i had my time over again i would have worn a 'skull cap' to play rugby in and saved myself many hours on a saturday night waiting in casualty for a few stitches to be put in. probably never used one as they were not around 25 years ago when i stopped playing rugby. having said that a hard helmet has no place in rugby as it would cause more injuries than prevent.

maybe for those skiers that dont want to use a helmet but do wear a hat a skull cap could be a interim measure - (hand grenade thrown and waits for fall out) Skullie Laughing
snow report
I have started looking at helmets with a view to buy.

I have two small children, if I die for not buying a helmet , won't I look stupid?
ski holidays
I'm all in favour of mandatory helmets for people who feel the need to tell other people what to do.

The helmets must be full-face, as they are clearly safer than the things people use today, which should be banned immediately to prevent innocent people taking on obvious risks we could easily avoid.

Helmets must be worn at all times when they will obviously reduce your risk. So walking to the lifts, using the supermarket, lying in bed, when drunk, and of course swimming. We need to talk to the airlines so you can wear them on the 'plane: obviously you have a greater chance of survival in a crash than without your helmet.

In all those cases wearing proper helmet obviously reduces your risk of head injury.

--
More broadly, I don't think most people assess risk objectively. So talking to those people is like trying to point out the illogicality of belief in the unbelievable - pointless from the start, if you think it through. Perfect fodder for an infinity of internet pixels.
snow report
I have only ever worn a helmet for racing. Skiing is about sensations and they are diminished with a helmet. I also dislike crowds, which are the greatest hazard (worst of all crowds skiing in helmets!) and make every effort to find quiet places to ski. I would go somewhere else.
latest report
philwig wrote:
when drunk

That's actually not a bad idea...

philwig wrote:

More broadly, I don't think most people assess risk objectively.

Nobody does, assessment and management of risk is my job and I deal with it every day. "It's never happened to us before so what's the problem, we've been doing it like this for ages" (n.b., that's not related to helmet use...).
snow report
Bought a helmet for skiing in March last year. I was rather surprised at how short a time it took me to forget I was wearing it. I probably won't wear it every time I ski yet, for example if it's too hot. Wish I'd bought the bright green one now instead of the dull black thing I've got. FYI I wear helmets everytime I ride MTBs or motorbikes.
Skiing helmet is a great place to stick a gopro though as I think cameras on sticks should be made illegal on the slopes.

So I guess my answer to the OP is I'd put the helmet on as skiing with one is better than not skiing without one.
ski holidays
Because of the sheer number of skiers and snowboarders wearing helmets on pisted runs, those who are too cool to even contemplate them do have a distinct disadvantage in an accident scenario.
In a collision between two people, one with a helmet; the one without will invariably come off far worse than if both were lidless. Someone a couple of years ago died from head injuries sustained in a collision. It was the opinion of the medical team, that they would not have been so seriously injured if they were either wearing a helmet, or the person that hit them was not. Worth a ponder...
snow report
Neraida, that's surprising. If my non-helmet-covered head was going to collide with another head, I'd rather that the other head was surrounded by foam which could collapse and reduce the shock, even if my initial impact would be with the harder outer "skin" of the helmet - it still ain't harder than a cranium!

(probably different if we were motorcycle helmets, but we aren't).

My standard disclaimer for helmet threads: I wear one for most ski days, find it comfortable, but won't preach to anyone to wear one or not, let alone insult people. Anyway I don't wear one when cycling, so my risk assessment is weird.
ski holidays
"As for helmet evangelism, perhaps the ever constant yammering about wearing ski helmets would be better directed at the Consumer Product Safety Commission and helmet industry to up their standards, rather than applying peer pressure to your friends."

Read .....

http://www.wildsnow.com/4713/ski-helmets-backcountry/
snow report
horizon, Yeah. I have thought about that too. Thought it was worth a ponder, since it was a pisteur that I heard the above from. Perhaps hair and hats count for cushioning..? I guess it also matter which part of the head is involved too.
snow report
Being a good law abiding citizen, I'd probably give in. But it ain't gonna happen - we ski mostly in France and they are known for having tons of laws which nobody obeys or enforces.
I know the risks, and I choose to take them. I was brought up without a helmet, they didn't exist. My kids had to wear helmets in ski school and compulsorily wore them until they grew out of the ones they had, about 15 yrs old i.e. old enough to understand the risks and make an informed decision, and then they could choose for themselves. One chose woolly hat. One chose helmet. They may both change their minds at any time (if so would buy helmet for the one who doesn't and woolly hat for the other!)
I couldn't agree more about helmets with earphones. A lot of people ski with earphones anyway - I think it's really dangerous - reduces your awareness.
The last time I had a bad fall was about 10 years ago when both tips went down into soft snow in a drainage channel just too wide for the length of my skis so I did a classic rear binding test and flew forwards like Superman onto my front. A helmet would have made no difference...just as well I have a bit of padding in the chest dept though!! (down, Boris!)

Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy